PDA

View Full Version : This whole emo thing...

Croyles
01-09-2006, 07:25 PM
I'm from the UK/Germany so I need to ask about this.
I know what emo means (kinda), but is it a new term? Why is it such an insult to like emotionally charged punk music all of a sudden? Is there actually any difference to being an emo and a goth (the emotional part of it I mean)?
So some guy comes up with the term emo, and now countless more people will be bullied in US schools, along with nerds (mabye they'll get a break), whats up with that? Seems like this just came out of the blue. At least, I've never heard of the term until like two weeks ago. Fashional bullying maybe? :p

If any of that made any sort of sense to you, consult your doctor or chemist immediately.

Obstacle
01-09-2006, 07:34 PM
Where i live (south england), it's not the fact "they're emo", it's the clothes that go with it that get insulted so much. The outfits that the boys thing just has connotations with homosexuality and though i live in the gay capital of england homophobia is still quite rife. As with many cases such as these, the female "emos" seem unaffected by this namecalling, and you'll often hear "check out that fit one, but look at her queer boyfriend". Maybe i'm reading to much into this, it might just be the fact that bullies just want to find any group to pick on, whether it "geeks" or "emos", it's anyone i tend to find.
As the difference, i honestly don't know.

Zell's Fists of Fury
01-09-2006, 07:36 PM
It's been around for a year or two now. Emo kids stereotypically and are the "oh the world will never understand me im an angst teenager im more complex than you think MOM get off my back i'll cut myself because everybody hates me give me attention more more more cry cry look i wear girl jeans even though I'm a boy im so emo" type. THey also listen to Dashboard COnfessional and have stupid hair.

Obstacle
01-09-2006, 07:39 PM
It's been around for a year or two now. Emo kids stereotypically and are the "oh the world will never understand me im an angst teenager im more complex than you think MOM get off my back i'll cut myself because everybody hates me give me attention more more more cry cry look i wear girl jeans even though I'm a boy im so emo" type. THey also listen to Dashboard COnfessional and have stupid hair.

Surely this is my point?

Suikojowy
01-09-2006, 07:40 PM
They can wear what they want, the thing is that the "emos" in my college seem to think they're the /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif (excuse my language which will be replaced by skulls) and that they're way cooler than everyone else because of their scene. I wouldn't personally consider them 'emo' for being like this but then again I was never a fan of this labelling stuff anyway.

Rye
01-09-2006, 07:44 PM
Basically emo has two meanings. It used to be emotive hardcore back in the day, but now emo music is basically whiny music like Linkin Park and Dashboard Confessionals. It can also be used to described whiny teenagers who think the world hates them and are always sad and are like "DAD I HAET U BECUZ U DONT GIVE ME NO RITES!!11ONE":)

Also, they sometimes can also complain about how George Bush sucks, which makes them a political emo. Political emos want to move to Canada, as shown in the diagram:

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d81/ryessica/EMOMIGRATIONTOCANADIA.gif

xD

Zell's Fists of Fury
01-09-2006, 07:45 PM
Surely this is my point?
Not really. All you talked about was how gay they looked.

Zell's Fists of Fury
01-09-2006, 07:50 PM
Also, they wear glasses because they're becaome intelligent with glasses. Intelligent enough for the previous said political statements. ANd they bitch and bitch about the government, but you would catch one dead in a voting booth. No sir.

Lindy
01-09-2006, 07:51 PM
Basically emo has two meanings. It used to be emotive hardcore back in the day, but now emo music is basically whiny music like Linkin Park and Dashboard Confessionals. It can also be used to described whiny teenagers who think the world hates them and are always sad and are like "DAD I HAET U BECUZ U DONT GIVE ME NO RITES!!11ONE":)
There IS still emo music following the original description, but considering how nobody can work out what's what really, it's not even worth bothering and easier to just call it "music wot i does like".

Hawkeye
01-09-2006, 07:55 PM
Emo people piss me off, but that's just me. I'm sure lots of people agree and disagree with me.

Dreddz
01-09-2006, 07:55 PM
The thing is, Ive seen people abuse others who have said stuff like " Oh Im so depressed "
Some smurfing kid will go " OMG, Your such an Emo, get off this planet "
I feel like punching the crap out of these smurfing retards.
If someone has all these emotional problems, they need comforting and help, not some child saying there scum.

Croyles
01-09-2006, 07:57 PM
Also, they sometimes can also complain about how George Bush sucks, which makes them a political emo.
xD

Well I worry for anyone who doesnt think Bush sucks, and i'm not emo, of which i'm still slightly unsure what the meaning is. Seriously, the guy has senile dementia. Anyway, I wont turn this into a political debate.

Where i live (south england),

i live in the gay capital of england

You live in Brighton? My brother just finished Uni there.

Back to the topic. I can see how whiny people like that would be annoying, but did anyone stop to think that maybe they really do have bigger family problems etc? Anyhooo, I hardly ever lable much, because it just oversimplifies peoples characters. Although that might not be any different to me calling someone else whiny, in which case im a hypocrite. :D

Lindy
01-09-2006, 07:59 PM
The thing is, Ive seen people abuse others who have said stuff like " Oh Im so depressed "
Some smurfing kid will go " OMG, Your such an Emo, get off this planet "
I feel like punching the crap out of these smurfing retards.
If someone has all these emotional problems, they need comforting and help, not some child saying there scum.
Except in most every case, the person saying they're "depressed" is just doing it for attention.

Obstacle
01-09-2006, 08:00 PM
You're right, i could've phrased it better. I'll just pretend i never said anything and run with "I love all people". Safe.

Dreddz
01-09-2006, 08:02 PM
Except in most every case, the person saying they're "depressed" is just doing it for attention.
Yes, sometimes it is, but some other times its not. What happened if you wanted to express your feelings about stuff and then being flamed to shreds.......hmm

Croyles
01-09-2006, 08:02 PM
Obviously they say it for attention, they need comforting. And anyway, 90% of the time depression can be diagnosed biologically, so i'd say a small minority of people lie about being depressed.
Anyhow, I agree more with Dreddz.
Out of all these terms, 'bully' seems to be the only one that hasn't been thought of as an insult by most people.

Lindy
01-09-2006, 08:04 PM
Yes, sometimes it is, but some other times its not. What happened if you wanted to express your feelings about stuff and then being flamed to shreds.......hmm
Except it's not sometimes, or really any time.

Any person who's really depressed will be hiding it, not shouting out loud that they're depressed. Do you know how hard it is to try and get a depressed person to accept help?

Croyles
01-09-2006, 08:07 PM
Except it's not sometimes, or really any time.

Any person who's really depressed will be hiding it, not shouting out loud that they're depressed. Do you know how hard it is to try and get a depressed person to accept help?

Your right about that, but there is a big difference between just about being able to admit your depressed and shouting it out. Admitting that your depressed is probably the first step to curing it in my eyes.

Dreddz
01-09-2006, 08:08 PM
I agree with you for the most part, but dont always go to that conclusion on every single case.

Lindy
01-09-2006, 08:09 PM
Your right about that, but there is a big difference between just about being able to admit your depressed and shouting it out. Admitting that your depressed is probably the first step to curing it in my eyes.
Stating randomly that "Oh I'm so depressed" != admitting depression, it's an attention seeking tactic.

They're not depressed, it's purely angst and hormones.

Croyles
01-09-2006, 08:11 PM
in which case thats not the 'just about being able to admit being depressed' that I was talking about.

Shauna
01-09-2006, 08:12 PM

Yeah, admitting you're depressed is a big step, but what Lindy's saying is that depressed people don't admit that they're depressed. So, people who are walking around complaining about how depressed they are, most likely aren't depressed.

Lindy
01-09-2006, 08:15 PM
Eloquently put.

Croyles
01-09-2006, 08:25 PM
Grrrr. Refer to my post!
:p

Lindy
01-09-2006, 08:27 PM
No, because you're missing the point.

There are real depressed people, for them, it's hard to admit they're depressed and when they do it's a great thing and they can get help.

These people referred as "emo" are the ones doing it purely for attention, they are (in 99% of cases) NOT depressed, therefore your comments about it being the first step to recovery are entirely moot. The first step to recovery for this group is a slap in the face, and to be told to cheer the hell up.

Rye
01-09-2006, 08:36 PM
Exactly. And the cutting thing too, emo kids do it for attention and "hide it" by putting duct tape or something quite obvious over it so people ask about it and pay them attention. :p

EDIT: And before I get crucified here, I suppose not ALL cutters do it for attention.

Croyles
01-09-2006, 08:57 PM
No, because you're missing the point.

There are real depressed people, for them, it's hard to admit they're depressed and when they do it's a great thing and they can get help.

These people referred as "emo" are the ones doing it purely for attention, they are (in 99% of cases) NOT depressed, therefore your comments about it being the first step to recovery are entirely moot. The first step to recovery for this group is a slap in the face, and to be told to cheer the hell up.

[COLOR="SeaGreen"]Im not missing the point. I agree with you that its hard for depressed people to admit it, and that anyone who very openly says they are depressed are probably not. You missed the point I was trying to make. Even if its hard for someone to admit it, a depressed person can still say that they are depressed as long as its not 'shouting it out' or even 'hiding it with duct tape'. I dont know anyone who is labelled as 'emo', im just talking about depressed people at the moment. Though I doubt a slap in the face is gonna do them much good. Actually having a good long chat with that person can help greatly sometimes. But seeing as there seems to be this different race of of 'emos' that ive never heard of or met, you probably know their psychology better than I do. :p

Theres another reason why people cut themselves, and thats an urgency to bring physical feeling back to their body. Theres a certain sense of being away from your body in depressed people (I dont care how weird that sounds), which is usually because someone is overly daydreaming. Im not gonna go into a long chat about that, but theres more to it than just seeking attention.

Lindy
01-09-2006, 09:02 PM
See, I was discussing it in terms of people who are labelled as "emo", not anyone in general.

Croyles
01-09-2006, 09:04 PM
No, we steered away from emos to depressed people, which is not 'anyone in general', but talking about what depressed people actually act like was helping us talk about whether emos are actually depressed.

Lindy
01-09-2006, 09:15 PM
Which, to finish off, is to point out that "emo" persons are not depressed.

Psychotic
01-09-2006, 09:17 PM
The obsession with "emo" is boring me now. When's the next fad coming? I want to make the first ytmnd about it.

Lindy
01-09-2006, 09:22 PM
First you need to make a massively popular website that thousands of people join, then you can make a million ytmnd pastiches about it.

Croyles
01-09-2006, 09:51 PM
I think the last two comments just show that labelling has gone a bit too far.

Miriel
01-09-2006, 09:59 PM
I just realized how awesome the word "pastiche" is.

FutureEmperor
01-09-2006, 10:26 PM
I personally feel that emo people are just people who think that they are the only ones who have heavy emotional feelings about how the world underappreciates them and whatnot, but in acctual fact thier feelings just stem from the fact that they tend to underappreciate the worl around them... Any ways personally i love emo kids because they make me laugh, (no disrespect is intended with the laughter, its just i find it kinda funny) and i am more then willing to help out any one who needs help, but most emo people i know, are not willing to be helped and for some reason they make mountains out of mole hills.

Zell's Fists of Fury
01-09-2006, 10:45 PM
The obsession with "emo" is boring me now. When's the next fad coming? I want to make the first ytmnd about it.
Propeller beanies. You heard it here first, folks!

http://www.propellerheadhats.com/images/shack.JPG

SoulTaker*
01-09-2006, 10:49 PM
Are emo's the dudes that wear girl pants?

Markus. D
01-09-2006, 11:17 PM
I'm from the UK/Germany so I need to ask about this.
I know what emo means (kinda), but is it a new term? Why is it such an insult to like emotionally charged punk music all of a sudden? Is there actually any difference to being an emo and a goth (the emotional part of it I mean)?
So some guy comes up with the term emo, and now countless more people will be bullied in US schools, along with nerds (mabye they'll get a break), whats up with that? Seems like this just came out of the blue. At least, I've never heard of the term until like two weeks ago. Fashional bullying maybe? :p

If any of that made any sort of sense to you, consult your doctor or chemist immediately.

THANK YOU! YOU ARE NOW a friend.

thanks for being able to percieve that Emo and Goth are two tottally differant things!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lindy
01-09-2006, 11:17 PM
I just realized how awesome the word "pastiche" is.
I know, and I really don't get to use it enough.

Such a cruel world, nobody understands my pain at not being able to say pastiche often, I think I'm going to cry now ;(

Markus. D
01-09-2006, 11:39 PM
Are emo's the dudes that wear girl pants?

thats goth there.

FutureEmperor
01-09-2006, 11:46 PM
NO just because you wear girls pants doesnt make you emo, or goth.... You dont have to wear girls clothes to be emo or goth, and you dont have to be emo or goth to wear girls clothes.

Freya
01-10-2006, 02:59 AM
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a309/xeyesxthatxseex/emo%20guys/emokid7.jpg

Girl pants do define then greatly though. My ex-boyfriend and still good friend is starting to go emo. I was talking to his brother's girlfriend, she told me that she left her pants at their house and he then started to wear them. I saw him wearing them to school! He has the spikes in the back and the flat in the front and he dyed it that redish purple. Funny because at the start of the school year he had long shagy hair and he like metal.

http://www.spilledcandy.com/images/ShannonBaileyEmoChick.jpg
Girls can be emo too but i havn't seen one at my school yet. And emo doens't have to be just bloack. It can be bright pink too. I mean the emo fad is just starting and i'm already getting tired of it.

SoulTaker*
01-10-2006, 03:35 AM
Why would you wanna wear girl pants? i mean were's the room for your package? It would seem like it would be very uncomfortable.
Also my sister wants to put hoola hoops in her lips when she's 18 whats that mean?

Rengori
01-10-2006, 04:01 AM
*changes class to chemist and looks in mirror* There, I saw him. This applies to a lot of slang terms. Did "yo" just pop out of some gangsta's mouth and spread like wildfire during gang wars?

Markus. D
01-10-2006, 07:18 AM
NO just because you wear girls pants doesnt make you emo, or goth.... You dont have to wear girls clothes to be emo or goth, and you dont have to be emo or goth to wear girls clothes.

tis more suited to goth though.

or... metro....

marc
01-10-2006, 09:17 PM
grr,

nik0tine
01-10-2006, 10:08 PM
As far as I can tell, Emo doesn't really exist. Nobody claims to be emo. It's a completely made up label and it's lame. It only works on YTMND's, and kids, highschool isn't a ytmnd. sorry.

War Angel
01-10-2006, 10:24 PM
As far as I can tell, Emo doesn't really exist. Nobody claims to be emo.
Err, logically, how does that mean it doesn't exist?

People have spotted a certain trend, be it in fashion, music or philosophy. They called it 'emo' because it's about being sad and emotional and crap, at least that's the emphasis.

It's vague, yes, but it doesn't really matter. The semantics may change along with the trend, just like Goths and Chavs and all that. It's not final, but subject to change. There are many definitions, but the important thing is that when you say GOTH or EMO or CHAV, a certain image will spring to mind. That's the stereotype, and that's what we base our knowledge upon.

If someone wears dark clothes with certain accessories (like glasses), listens to whiny music, writes\reads melancholic songs, talks about his saddness and emotional burden all the time, and revels in the entire via de la rose of his\her existence - they're Emo. You can call it Burgo or Makmak for all I care - the phenomenon is still there, still very clear, very formed and very real.

nik0tine
01-10-2006, 10:25 PM
Err, logically, how does that mean it doesn't exist?

People have spotted a certain trend, be it in fashion, music or philosophy. They called it 'emo' because it's about being sad and emotional and crap, at least that's the emphasis.That's the thing though. Nobody acts like that. If nobody acts emo, how can anybody be emo?

If someone wears dark clothes with certain accessories (like glasses), listens to whiny music, writes\reads melancholic songs, talks about his saddness and emotional burden all the time, and revels in the entire via de la rose of his\her existence - they're Emo. You can call it Burgo or Makmak for all I care - the phenomenon is still there, still very clear, very formed and very real.I agree. That's emo. But nobody does that.

War Angel
01-10-2006, 10:28 PM
Nobody acts like that.
Oh, come on... a fair share of these traits exists in so many people (especially teens), it's unbelievable. Check out the former thread on Emo for a few examples.

nik0tine
01-10-2006, 10:30 PM
Linkage?

Lindy
01-10-2006, 10:33 PM
http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=76872

The group exists, I wish they didn't, but they do.

War Angel
01-10-2006, 10:36 PM
Oh, I forgot to mention 'a lack of a sense of humour' as one of the traits. Also 'takes him\herself way too seriously' and 'lacks proportion when viewing life'.

Yeah.

nik0tine
01-10-2006, 10:39 PM
Okay, I admit it. I was wrong. (http://forums.eyesonff.com/member.php?u=10446)

Angreal
01-10-2006, 10:39 PM
I'd like to clear up a couple things too though. While I'm not really emo myself, [I have the glasses, but I've had them for years. I wear band shirts. I listen to a limited to selection of emo music. That's where my traits shared with emo end, however.] many of my friends are. The clear majority of them, in fact, do not cut. That's merely a misconception that starts to annoy me.

There is also the misconception that emo music is full of whining and angst. This is false to a certain degree. Take the band At The Drive-In (who broke up into Sparta and the Mars Volta), there was an emo band that brought an electric energy into the venue where they were playing. The lyrics contained nothing close to the horrible lyrics that you find in your typical "emo" song today. The closest thing they had to your view of an emo song was "Napoleon Solo", a song about the death of two girls from the guitarist's old band (Correct me if I'm wrong).

The music that you hear on the radio today (ex. My Chemical Romance, Fall Out Boy). That's not emo. That's like calling blink182 punk. Imagine categorizing blink182 in with the greats such as The Clash, Sex Pistols, Black Flag, etc. It's just as laughable to compare Fall Out Boy with Fugazi, At The Drive-In, Rites of Spring, etc.

In addition to this, emo isn't the only music that touches on the emotions. Nick Drake was a man that channeled his sadness into his folk music. Surely, Radiohead can make any feel different emotions when listenings to their music.

My point is this. Don't bash something that you view from the outside. Approach life with an open mind. Not all emo music is the same generic guitar verse-chorus-verse rinse and repeat that you hear on the radio (Cursive, for example, uses cello in their songs).

On the topic of an open mind, your point is completely moot when you say "Emo is gay!" That shows how close minded and brainwashed you are. In a world where equality is taught, what is this obsessive paranoia of homosexuality?

Lindy
01-10-2006, 10:43 PM
I love you, marry me, we'll run away together with Cedric and Omar.

SoulTaker*
01-10-2006, 11:22 PM
I'd like to clear up a couple things too though. While I'm not really emo myself, [I have the glasses, but I've had them for years. I wear band shirts. I listen to a limited to selection of emo music. That's where my traits shared with emo end, however.] many of my friends are. The clear majority of them, in fact, do not cut. That's merely a misconception that starts to annoy me.

There is also the misconception that emo music is full of whining and angst. This is false to a certain degree. Take the band At The Drive-In (who broke up into Sparta and the Mars Volta), there was an emo band that brought an electric energy into the venue where they were playing. The lyrics contained nothing close to the horrible lyrics that you find in your typical "emo" song today. The closest thing they had to your view of an emo song was "Napoleon Solo", a song about the death of two girls from the guitarist's old band (Correct me if I'm wrong).

The music that you hear on the radio today (ex. My Chemical Romance, Fall Out Boy). That's not emo. That's like calling blink182 punk. Imagine categorizing blink182 in with the greats such as The Clash, Sex Pistols, Black Flag, etc. It's just as laughable to compare Fall Out Boy with Fugazi, At The Drive-In, Rites of Spring, etc.

In addition to this, emo isn't the only music that touches on the emotions. Nick Drake was a man that channeled his sadness into his folk music. Surely, Radiohead can make any feel different emotions when listenings to their music.

My point is this. Don't bash something that you view from the outside. Approach life with an open mind. Not all emo music is the same generic guitar verse-chorus-verse rinse and repeat that you hear on the radio (Cursive, for example, uses cello in their songs).

On the topic of an open mind, your point is completely moot when you say "Emo is gay!" That shows how close minded and brainwashed you are. In a world where equality is taught, what is this obsessive paranoia of homosexuality?

I just wanna know, is the attire of an emo inclusively require the wearing of girl pants, or is this shared by many punk rockers and its many deviations. Because i asked a kid in school if he was an emo and he just gave me a blank stare, and yes girl pants were part of his attire. i also asked him if his nuts hurt. Remember i am on the outside looking in.

Angreal
01-10-2006, 11:30 PM
I can think of quite a few kids who, if put in a social group, would fall into the punk group that wear girls pants. Personally however, I don't spend my time worrying about what people wear. I believe that following fashion is a stupid concept. Why do I have to dress a certain way? If I want to be friends with someone, I want them to be friends with me for who I am, not for how I dress. If someone wants to wear girl pants, that's fine with me. Personally I wear baggy pants because they're comfortable. Just because I wear something different than other people doesn't give me the right to believe that what they are doing is wrong.

There should be no right or wrong in fashion. Only the ability to express yourself.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
01-10-2006, 11:33 PM
It's not a new term at all, since it's been around for years and years. It's only recently become ubiquitous, though.

xX.Silver.Wings.Xx
01-10-2006, 11:36 PM
There have been other threads about this, but trust me you'd be better off sticking with this one...

Angreal
01-10-2006, 11:39 PM
It's not a new term at all, since it's been around for years and years. It's only recently become ubiquitous, though.

To build on this, the emo music scene has been around since 1984 with the formation of Rites of Spring. The term "emo" was first coined around that time also.

SoulTaker*
01-10-2006, 11:43 PM
I can think of quite a few kids who, if put in a social group, would fall into the punk group that wear girls pants. Personally however, I don't spend my time worrying about what people wear. I believe that following fashion is a stupid concept. Why do I have to dress a certain way? If I want to be friends with someone, I want them to be friends with me for who I am, not for how I dress. If someone wants to wear girl pants, that's fine with me. Personally I wear baggy pants because they're comfortable. Just because I wear something different than other people doesn't give me the right to believe that what they are doing is wrong.

There should be no right or wrong in fashion. Only the ability to express yourself.
I too wear baggy clothes because its confortable and doesnt feel like its constricting, but why would someone wear cleary uncomfortable pants that in their design were not meant for the male figure, so are they doing it simply to stand out, to be different, to prove their own existence. I see kids comming to class wearing things that look like they took a whole month to get into.

Angreal
01-10-2006, 11:51 PM
And they fully have the right to do that. What you might find to be odd is completely normal to someone else. They do it because they like how it looks and they believe it looks good. Neither you nor I have any right to judge if it is a good style or not.

Croyles
01-10-2006, 11:57 PM
You have the right to judge it, but you shouldnt make other people feel bad about it.

Angreal
01-11-2006, 12:03 AM
I worded that bit poorly, my bad.

SoulTaker*
01-11-2006, 12:17 AM
And they fully have the right to do that. What you might find to be odd is completely normal to someone else. They do it because they like how it looks and they believe it looks good. Neither you nor I have any right to judge if it is a good style or not.
I dont care if i saw a person wearing bum clothes it doesnt matter to me, I just see this as nothing more than a cry for attention.

xX.Silver.Wings.Xx
01-11-2006, 12:20 AM
I like tight trousers.... it doesn't look good on many people though...

Epiphany
01-11-2006, 01:03 AM
Angreal has brought up many of my own thoughts on this.

The music is not what gets me, in fact I'm quite the fan of bands like Fugazi, Sunny Day Real Estate, Rites of Spring and Mineral. It's the way that the people that are classified as "Emo" act.

Dignified Pauper
01-11-2006, 01:12 AM
I hear Roogle is pretty Emo... maybe you guys should pm him and ask. If he says I'm emo, don't believe him.

xX.Silver.Wings.Xx
01-11-2006, 02:39 AM
People say I'm Emo... but..I always thought i was like a "soft-Goth" or something...