PDA

View Full Version : I have better translated FF VI

Clord
01-09-2006, 08:42 PM
I have SNES rom on my computer what is translated very same way like official english translation but Kefka etc quotes are not censored.

Meaning that Kefka say eg. "Edgard you asshole, why you must live middle of nowhere" or something like that.

Only possible misstranslation what I find is that Kefka is wrote "Cefka".

It is bit stupid that version what long time ago people bough was very much censored when talking some words. Without censoring words Kefka became much more cooler.

Basically diffirence wrong original is that words what was censored with other words is translated back to true words (Yes my english is not very excelent all to time).

Crossblades
01-09-2006, 08:53 PM
Posted in the wrong forum

Clord
01-09-2006, 09:26 PM
I have posted over 2000 post in my life diffirent forums etc and now I posted here my first post to wrong forum when I tryied to make sure that I post to right forum.

I clicked wrong place after registering when I meaned to go FF VI forum.

Upriser Spearmint!
01-09-2006, 10:09 PM
...right, so you have a different version of a ROM to most people that either have the game or use a ROM themselves?

So, you joined for the reason to post that. A bit suss.

DJZen
01-10-2006, 01:15 AM
You probably have Sky Render's patch, the accuracy of which is debatable.

Clord
01-13-2006, 11:56 AM
It is also very hard but I quess that everyone's Final Fantasy VI is more challengive than FF VII without modding.

charchar
01-18-2006, 07:16 AM
wait... so you're saying that kefka is cooler now that you have a version wher he swears?

that's uh... kind of a moronic way of rating someone, in my opinoin. i mean, the accuracy of the "better" translation is even debatable, considering that kefka, freakish and psychotic though he may be, looks suspiciously like a jester. actually i'd say it sums him up quite nicely. so i think this rampaging lunatic using minor, kiddie show insults like "pinhead" actually makes him cooler.

but that's just me, i like irony in my life.

also, i've seen it written in a lot of places as Cefka. i think it is cefka in japan. other names are different too, but i've never played one of those versions

NeoCracker
01-18-2006, 08:23 AM
I'm not really sure it it would be either Kefka or Cefka in japan since they use weird symbols.

The Man
01-18-2006, 09:08 AM
It can be correctly translated as either. It can also be correctly translated as Kefca or Cefca, but Kefka is the least phonetically misleading translation.

Vyk
01-18-2006, 05:26 PM
Like they care about misleading phonetics in their romanizations. xD Tidus and Yuffie debate, anyone? :P (Kidding)

The Man
01-18-2006, 08:07 PM
I didn't say Square cared about misleading phonetics, but a good translator should. xD

KoShiatar
01-18-2006, 10:00 PM
You probably have Sky Render's patch, the accuracy of which is debatable.

Yes it is. He's made some debatable translation choices and even some mistakes. However it's much better than the official version already. The only thing I don't understand is why he changed Ultros to Orthros; the katakana was compatible with Ultros.

DJZen
01-19-2006, 12:44 AM
Orthros is an acutal mythological character. Look it up.

I don't care what anyone says. I will defend Woolsey's script to the end. I'm not saying it's perfect, I just think he did a good job of making the script enjoyable. I would accept a re-translation by the team that did DoS and FFIVA. However, FFVII's translation is so bad it makes me want to club baby seals, and that has profanity in it.

The Man
01-19-2006, 02:38 AM
In Greek mythology, Orthrus (also called Orthros, Orthos, Orthus, Orth and Orphus) was a two-headed dog and the brother of Cerberus. He was owned by the winged titan, Geryon. Orthrus and his master, Eurytion, were charged with guarding Geryon's herd of red cattle. Heracles eventually killed Orthrus, Eurytion, and Geryon, before taking the red cattle to complete his tenth labor.

Orthrus was the son of Echidne and Typhon. His siblings included Chimera, Cerberus, the Lernaean Hydra, Ethon, Ladon, and sometimes the Sphinx and Nemean Lion. Because of the varying geneologies, he may be the father of the Sphinx and the Nemean Lion with either Echidne or Chimera. Due to his mother's relation to Heracles (taken from Herodotus), his half-siblings include Agathyrsi, Gelonus, and Scytha.whaddayaknow, you learn something new every day.

Woolsey did manage to make some worthy additions to the script (the self-help booklet is legendary), but portions of it are just so appallingly bland and devoid of their original context that a retranslation was almost an inevitability. I agree that Woolsey's FFVI translation is better than the FFVII translation though; I was in strong danger of turning my PlayStation off in frustration several times through that game.

Vyk
01-19-2006, 03:10 AM
I can only assume Heracles is Hercules. He went through the labors if I remember correctly. But in either case... did that just say he basically got it on with Cerberus's mom? Didn't know he was into beastiality...

The Man
01-19-2006, 03:14 AM
no, I think Orthros' mum, Echidne, was related to Heracles. I don't fully understand it either.

and yeah, Heracles was renamed Hercules in Roman mythology.

Chupon was supposed to be named Typhon, as well, wasn't he?

edit: wait, apparently *I* was confused. Yeah, apparently Heracles did have several children by Echidne as well. Odd. xD

Kawaii Ryűkishi
01-19-2006, 03:56 AM
Woolsey didn't know about Orthros and Typhon, so he did the best he could with the kana and came out with "Ultros" and "Chupon." This was finally corrected when they reappeared in FFI GBA, though.

KoShiatar
01-19-2006, 03:19 PM
Orthros...humm. Apparently, there are more references than one can grasp at first sight.
I have contrasting feelings about Woosley's translation; at least it is in correct English, and he did make some enjoyable choices.
I suppose he had to deal with Nintendo of America censore policy, which was rather strict, and he did what he could. Yet some thngs were chenged beyond recognition without the apparent need for that, and I still am wondering why.

Clord
01-19-2006, 05:55 PM
I think Kefka was most censored Final Fantasy character ever.

Kefka: Son of a submariner
Cefka: Son of a Bitch

I think people get point. :) That first one is like young edition what he say and second is more true. One translation what is not recommended to Finland people is finnish translation. ;)

The Man
01-20-2006, 05:27 AM
"Son of a bitch" might be what he actually says in the Japanese version, but "Son of a submariner" is still way funnier.

still, yes, there was quite a bit of profanity in the original game, which all got removed from the "official" US release.

Vyk
01-20-2006, 05:54 AM
Until I see a screenshot of that scene with Japanese text in the dialogue box saying the equivalent of "son of a bitch", I'll have no reason to believe Square didn't intend him to talk silly because he's a pretty psychotic guy.

KoShiatar
01-20-2006, 03:58 PM
What Kefka said was "kuso", that simply means "s**t". A very generic swearword, but you get the idea.

Edit: From what I translated so far, Kefka wasn't made to be intentionally silly-speaking in the original Japanese script. He is bossy and menacing. This was probably meant to contrast with his looks and with the fact that soldiers think he's an idiot and prefer General Leo, who acts more human.
The result is that Kefka is made to be more ridiculous and more upsetting at the same time, because you realize that he, unlike Leo, is completely psycho and will go to any length to get what he wants, including ruthless murder and cruelty.

Vyk
01-20-2006, 10:03 PM
Good enough. You I trust. Thanks for the clarification :D

Memoria
01-20-2006, 10:09 PM
As improper as Kefka may have been in Japan, I still like him with his funky vocabulary better. I believe that translators might have wanted to capture that he was so crazy. That's just my opinion though...

However, by what standpoint you might be, Sephiroth still sucks in comparison to Kekfa. Either way Kefka is.

The Man
01-21-2006, 02:55 AM
However, by what standpoint you might be, Sephiroth still sucks in comparison to Kekfa. Either way Kefka is.Preach it, sista :cool:

KoShiatar
01-23-2006, 09:50 PM
Going on in the translation, I noticed that Kefka does talk silly once in a while.
However, the famous "son of a submariner" has nothing to do with it.

Clord
01-24-2006, 01:49 PM
That they change those words to others sound stupid when you know what they really are. It is still most censored Final Fantasy villain normally in other official versions than Japan.

I have no idea what Submariner possibly mean but I know what Submarine mean.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Submariner

The Man
01-24-2006, 03:28 PM
A submariner is one who operates a submarine. This is oddly appropriate, as Figaro Castle had just made like a sand submarine, and the original script actually made some comment about that, but the Woolsey script changed it to "Nothing can touch the people of Figaro" or some bollocks.