PDA

View Full Version : Tips and tricks

Miriel
01-09-2006, 09:48 PM
So, I didn't know about /shutdown until about 3 months after I'd started playing the game. And I only found out cause someone in my Linkshell misstyped //shutdown into the LS chat, and I was all, "uh. what's that?"

So yeah, share some of your favorite and useful (and not so useful) tips and tricks that you use in-game. :)

/Shutdown - exists you out of the game completely, instead of having to log out of PlayOnline

ctrl + R - let's you reply to the last person who sent you a /tell without having to type out their name.

If you time your dismount just right, you can get it so that your Chocobo rides right into town without having to dismount first. This one's not particularly useful, but it's fun. And I get /tells from people asking me, "Whoa! How'd you ride a Chocobo into Jeuno?!"

Yeargdribble
01-10-2006, 01:56 AM
Starting with basics some people don't know how to set chatmode.

/cm p (party)
/cm s (say)
/cm l (linkshell)

as opposed to /p Hey party.

This can save you on mistells a lot. But something I found out long ago that didn't seem obvious then but does now is that you can do more with this. Say I wanted to talk to Miriel in /tell for a long time without either typing /t Miriel or Ctrl+Ring all day long.

/cm t Miriel

works as well. Give it a shot.

Other useful commands are the /sea (search) commands. I've yet to master them but they do wonders. You just need to learn the modifiers.

all (lets you see the whole world... every zone)
inv (people with their flags up)
15-20 (for example if you wanted to see people in that level range)
WAR (if you want to see the WAR class... works with all of the others as well)

-If you want to see everyone on the server.

/sea all (this will give you a short list but give you the number of people total on)

-If you want to find a member for you PT with a spread of 15-18 in the dunes do a

/sea 15-18 inv

-This shows you everyone in that range with their flag up in your zone. If you needed a WHM specifically.

/sea 15-18 WHM inv

Now you can see only WHM 15-18 with their flags up.

-If you are at higher levels you may want to search the entire world for your PT.

/sea all 70-72 MNK inv

You can finall of the MNKs in the world with their flags up in that range. However people don't have to have their flag up. I know one of these gets used on me often.

/sea 73-75 BRD

My flag might not be up but they can see me and pester me to XP with them.

There are also modifiers for Rank if you like. /sea all Rank 10 does work. You can also do nation which I believe is SAN, WIN and BAS. There are several other modifiers which I do not have memorized.

One quasi useful one you can use is the area search. This is a little more difficult. Each of these have a shorthand but it's impossible to remember it for every zone in the game. To make it work do the following.

Type /sea (with a space) and start typing the zone you want like... Yhoa(tab)... {Yhoator Jungle}...

Now to make this work you need to add quotes... at a " to the end and then scroll back and put a " at the beginning so it looks like

/sea "{Yhoator Jungle"

Once you've done this you can add other modifiers like level spread, job, rank etc. You however cannot do /sea all "{Yhoator Jungle}".

Also keep in mind that someplaces start with the... such as {The Eldieme Necropolis}

Another useful command is /pcmd. This allows you to do party commands typed. The problem with /pcmd is that it seems to not always work and me and my wife have messed with it a ton and can't always figure out what is wrong. Let's say I wanted to invite Miriel.

/pcmd add Miriel

She would get an invite... if I want to kick her.

/pcmd remove Miriel

It's nice shorthand sometimes when it works which is definately not all the time.

If you want to get an item in the translator that you have seen recently you might notice it is not always there... but if you have seen it the last 200 (A number close to this... might be wrong) items will appear under [Items] after you tab. So if I wanted my Optical Hat I would look at it by scrolling over it and then start typing and hit tab. Press up to get you to the bottom of the list which is [Items] From this menu scroll to the Os and it will be there.

Sorry... this was rather lengthy and I'm still nowhere near done with all of the cute tricks I've picked up. I'll add more in a later post.

Luc
01-10-2006, 02:03 AM
Not really tricks, but if you're too lazy to type /p to type in party all the time or /l to to talk in linkshell you can just hit CTRL + P for party or CTRL + L for your linkshell. I've never used this to type in /say but I'm pretty sure it'll work if you hit CTRL+ S.

Anyway, yeah I know, not much of a trick, I'm just really lazy. =x

chronic_Maniac
01-10-2006, 09:43 AM
you can click on yourself and highlight chat, then press right on the little arrows and you can pick which chat you perfer. If you just wanna talk to one person in /tell mode you go to tell and scroll up and down the names until you find the person. Click enter and you can change it anytime you like. you can pick say, tell, party, linkshell, and shout.

A lot of the money you make is plain out selling items in the Auction house. make sure you check the latest prices peoples been buying them before you decide how much you'll sell them.

You MUST reach level 18 to take a quest to get sub jobs at Selbina. he'll ask for a worm, a skull and a crab apron.

You must reach level 30 to finish quests for jobs you don't have.

DMKA
01-10-2006, 08:59 PM
Wow, the control + P/R thing is way better. I'm in love with it.

Vaprice
01-14-2006, 10:45 PM
Miriel's the bomb with the /shutdown thingy... omg lifesaver! I've saved 30 seconds on my FFXI logging out time.