PDA

View Full Version : Advice on last minute revising

~SapphireStar~
01-09-2006, 11:01 PM
Ive just been told that I have 2 exams coming up (Thursday and Monday) and Im panicking :cry: I thought my exams were after I go back to Uni, not before. Im ok cause the exams are from my 2 favourite lectures, so that helps.

But I want to know how people revise and what they believe to be the best method. I know I shouldnt be on a forum, but Im not revising now cause my tea will be done in 5 minutes, so no "Get off the forum! lol" replies please, this is serious and it could help out others.

So do you rewrite your notes, or just read over your notes over and over again till the moring of the exam or do you have a different method?

Please help guys :eep:

Rye
01-09-2006, 11:04 PM
Rewriting notes is an awesome idea, since I well through writing things down while listening, though I don't do it as I'm too lazy for revision, except before huge Math exams since I'm not great at Math. :p You should spread out your revision for like, a half an hour each day before the exam. Don't be like me and cram the night before. xD

Good luck!

Little Miss Awesome
01-09-2006, 11:07 PM
Erm, well, there is not a whole lot of point in doing too much work, because you'll never remember it all, and staying up all night to revise'll just make you too tired to do a good job in the exam anyway! I think you should calm down, you've still got a few days! Just revise the stuff you have the most difficulty remembering if that's all you have time for, and don't push yourself too hard because that does no good!
Hope this helps, I am a bit useless :tongue: But anyway, good luck :)

Shlup
01-09-2006, 11:09 PM
I go through my notes slowly and highlight parts. Re-writing them helps a lot but I rarely actually do it.

Miriel
01-09-2006, 11:09 PM
By revising, do you just mean studying?

I'm an excellent last minute crammer, and a speed reader, so I can plow through chapter after chapter of a text book the night before a test. And then I'll read over my notes 4 or 5 times hours/minutes before the test and I usually do pretty well. The thing with me is that, I can cram in a lot of information in a short period of time and retain that information until I'm done with the test.

Bad thing is that once the test is over, everything I learned sorta spills outta my brain.

~SapphireStar~
01-09-2006, 11:12 PM
Thanks guys. My boyfriend and mate told me to rewrite and read over the notes also. I wont stay up late neither, thanks :D

Hawkeye
01-09-2006, 11:13 PM
I've only been lucky in one subject to do last minute studying, and that was US History. You have 2 full days to study, which I believe is more than enough time to take your exam on the third day, although I don't know how many exams you are taking on each day. Just study with friends, use flashcards, get online help, and when you study, I find it helpful to listen to classical music, but that's just me.

Anyways, good luck.

xtreme112
01-09-2006, 11:30 PM
I suggest making a cheat sheet, kinda like you do for maths, except whatever subject you're doing, that way you'll notice what you do and don't know and can focus on that ^_^
And once you've made that sheet/s put them in a place that you normally spend a fair bit of time doing nothing, like behind the glass of your shower or something.

rubah
01-09-2006, 11:59 PM
I tend to like, not really study.

Croyles
01-10-2006, 12:14 AM
Unfortunetly, my method is like Rye's, which isnt too good. I have a AS Psychology retake for one module on wednesday, and I havnt done any revision, so I'll be cramming it all in on Tuesday. Dont do that!

Neco Arc
01-10-2006, 01:02 PM
By revising, do you just mean studying?

I'm an excellent last minute crammer, and a speed reader, so I can plow through chapter after chapter of a text book the night before a test. And then I'll read over my notes 4 or 5 times hours/minutes before the test and I usually do pretty well. The thing with me is that, I can cram in a lot of information in a short period of time and retain that information until I'm done with the test.

Bad thing is that once the test is over, everything I learned sorta spills outta my brain.

the same for me...

Mo-Nercy
01-10-2006, 04:47 PM
For my Trial HSC, which I did awesome enough in to warrant an estimated UAI of 95.00 (out of a possible 100), I just rewrote notes over and over. For English, I virtually memorised my essays and learnt how to mould them into whatever question that was thrown at me. For Ancient History, History Extension and Business Studies, I had about five copies of the same notes, each copy more condensed than the last. I knew it all so well after rewriting my notes so much, I was last minute revising with just 5 palm cards outside the Great Hall. Maths is bitch to study because I suck like hell. Maths Advanced is a cinch but Extension was kept me from something higher than an estimated 95. To this day I still have idea to study for subjects like maths.

My HSC owned me though. I guess I was a bit too confident after my Trial. I didn't know my essays for English as well as I did in the trial. The questions were perfect. Really generic and my responses would have been really fitting, if I had time to finish up. I concluded everything but a few arguments needed to be trimmed down. My other exams didn't go as well as planned either. Especially Maths Extension and History Extension. Hence my final UAI of 91.35. Psh.

It just goes to show that consistant study pays off. Don't think you know something just because you've been tested on it before and you pwned.