PDA

View Full Version : Mixing languages!

Chris
01-10-2006, 03:14 PM
Okay, do you ever find yourself mixing the languages you know? It's so annoying. I come back from the Philippines and I've only spoken English the entire time, then I try to speak Danish and it comes out something like this: Hej...hvordan går det here in Roskilde? *Dies* It can't be helped.

Jebus
01-10-2006, 03:18 PM
Ever since I saw Firefly, sometimes I throw a little Mandarin into what I say.

Not annoying in any sense, but it makes me look like more of a geek.

Mo-Nercy
01-10-2006, 03:25 PM
My first language is Chinglish. xD

I speak Cantonese at home but my vocab is really limited. I can get the accent of our dialect down but the thing is our dialect is not really mainstream so when I do speak Cantonese, it just sounds a little off even though it's all good amongst family. My family back in China says I should try and learn a Honkie (Hong Kong) accent because it's just a lot easier for people to understand me then. I don't really give a crap though, I can't read or write Chinese nor can I speak or understand Mandarin and I reckon it's just too late for me to try and learn it all now.

So yeah. I avoid all the hassle and just speak English when I go out. Pretty much all my friends are Chinese but rarely do we speak any form of Chinese to each other. Half of us can't be bothered and save it for the household and the other half are like me and just can't do it all that well.

Chinglish. Like almost all other first generation Chinese-Australians I know, I emalgamate Chinese and English at home to not only to make it easier for me to communicate to my family but to help my immigrant parents get a firmer grasp of the English language.

tailz
01-10-2006, 04:19 PM
i find myself mixing dutch and english the entire time but caus in my own opinion i talk english better then dutch (while i live in the netherlands :P) so when i cant find the right words i just use english ones instead :D:P

Lindy
01-10-2006, 04:24 PM
I randomly lapse into German when greeting, thanking or swearing at someone.

I'm not even German.

SammieBabe
01-10-2006, 05:21 PM
When I get really upset or angry, I've been known to start swearing in Italian.
Also, I have a habit of saying things in Latin, just because I don't want people to know what I'm saying...:D

Old Manus
01-10-2006, 05:25 PM
Hopefully not

ff7+ff10 gurl 100
01-10-2006, 05:31 PM
I do alot :D
I call is Spanglish because its spanish and english mixed.
Around where i live alot of people do that cuz the majority of people here speak both and decide to mix it :D.

War Angel
01-10-2006, 05:40 PM
As is often the custom here, I throw random words in Arabic, English, Russian, German, Yiddish and many more, especially when I swear. :)

Lost Number
01-10-2006, 05:49 PM
Heh I always use Irish when im talking cause I like it better. I only speak english because I need to get a point across.

Breine
01-10-2006, 06:53 PM
Well, yeah. It happens a lot to me actually. I have many languages to keep track on. I'm from Denmark, so naturally my first language is Danish (doh!). I'm also fluent in English and German, and besides that I'm taking Spanish lessons. On top of that a big part of my family lives in Sweden, so I can understand Swedish, but I have yet to learn how to speak it properly. It's only natural that I sometimes make some glitches when I'm speaking one of these languages. Well not Danish, but English or German for example tend to be quite easy to mix up sometimes... Which is really annoying to say the least.

Oh, and btw Mandinka... That Danish was good. Anybody from Denmark would understand what you were saying. No problems there.

Little Miss Awesome
01-10-2006, 07:22 PM
It's not really the same, but I often throw random foreign words into normal conversation. A lot of my mates do, I really don't know why either :p

Zeldy
01-10-2006, 07:30 PM
Nope. I don't know enough Finnish yet ;)

Odaisé Gaelach
01-10-2006, 07:39 PM
One time I was speaking in French and I wanted to say, "Ça va mon ami?" and instead it came out as, "Ça va мой друг?" - Russian.

I really don't speak much apart from drunk singing/swearing in Irish and greeting people in Russian.

Rye
01-10-2006, 07:57 PM
When I took my french class, I'd sometimes call some of the food that I eat by their french name. :p But that's in unfortunatly. I speak Engrish sometimes, but it's usually as a joke. xD

Kamiko
01-11-2006, 12:06 AM
I had an english class right after french and I get so confused.
And I can't learn japanese at the same time as french apparently.

The Summoner of Leviathan
01-11-2006, 12:29 AM
Back home we have something called Fringlish. It seems that often times speakers of English and French will mix the two together with amusing results.

"I parké my car à la courbe" This is a classic example used to denote the French used by the residences of Moncton, NB, Canada.

PErsonally I use Enligh words to replace the words I do not know in French. Sometimes I will swear in both languages, though it is usually in English. Then there are those wonderous times where I forget a word in English so I say its French counterpart (Sad bit is that Enligh is my first language).

fantasyjunkie
01-11-2006, 07:24 AM
Tagalog is my 2nd language, sometimes when speaking to my wife, who is Filipino, I'll speak to her and mix both Tagalog and English.

Kawaii Ryûkishi
01-11-2006, 07:26 AM
Just <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nadsat_lexicon">Nadsat</a>.

edczxcvbnm
01-11-2006, 07:32 AM
Not yet. I just make up /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif at this point and have all my own quirky sayings...that I don't type on the net. It sounds better than it is written. Example:

What are you guys going to do?

Stuff-Spuff.

It kind of sort of sounds good...but then again I am just plain fucked up.

Mirage
01-11-2006, 08:55 AM
I mix english words into my norwegian all the time, but few young people don't. Other than that, I sometimes use short phrases or words from German, Chinese, Japanese and Spanish now and then.

Chibi Angel
01-11-2006, 01:18 PM
I sometimes use German words and phrases every once in awhile. Not very often anymore, it's been awhile since I've taken German lessons.

Miriel
01-11-2006, 05:18 PM
Why is it annoying?

I think it's perfectly natural to mix one language with another, if you were raised to speak more than one language. I can't speak to my parents in anything other than Konglish. A little Korean here, a little English there, it all works out.

Jess
01-11-2006, 05:27 PM
I only really know English. Sometimes I'll say a few words that are French, German or Spanish when greeting somebody, but that's basically all I know.