PDA

View Full Version : Starting Vagrant Story Again......Any Tips ?

Dreddz
01-10-2006, 09:13 PM
Ive disliked this game for a very long time, but It angers me to see people love it so much, I feel Im missing something very special.
I gave up on the game when I found playing it to be a massive chore, I never got any satisfaction out of it. I just couldnt find any sense in running around, doing 13 damage, then doing 1. And continuously doing 1. I would end up pegging it out of the room most of the time.
I feel that I may of starting things off bad, and it may have resulted in a very poor character later on.
So Im starting fresh, any tips I should have before tackling this game again.
I am appreciating in advance. Cheero.......

Aphelion
01-10-2006, 10:06 PM
Save a weapon for each type of enemy. I can't remember monster weaknesses correctly, but I recall using a spear for dragons, a blunt weapon for beasts, a sword for humans...Experiment.

Anyway, if you don't develop your weapon stat bonuses carefully, you'll be causing 1 damage to your enemies for the rest of the game. The dummies are a great help on your training.

Reine
01-11-2006, 05:17 AM
My mate Zannith could help here, but he mnever posts anymore. Hes mastered the game

dragoonknight_kain
01-12-2006, 02:47 AM
If you chain a lot, you will deal loads of damage, because the damage increases when you chain. I remember doing a 1hp damage, than 2, 3, 4, 5..... get to 17 or 20 and the total damage will be enormous.

Does anyone know what is the max map percentage you can get playing the game through once? Coz I only got 70%, but after I beat the game, I remembered I had forgotten a door. Did I lose 30% because of this door?

Lord Chainsaw
01-17-2006, 01:27 AM
That door probably led to the Iron Maiden, the game's bonus dungeon. I don't think it accounts for 30% map coverage in the game, but it is quite a chunk.

If you're going to give this game a shot, you have to motivate yourself, or you'll never get through it. Playing a game to see what all the hype is about will work for something easy like Final Fantasy, but if you don't have that inherent desire to finish Vagrant Story out of joy, it is going to be very, very difficult. You'll end up hating the game more because you will get frustrated by forcing yourself through the difficult gameplay sections and not notice the whole of the incredible story.

Carmilla
01-17-2006, 02:50 AM
I just started VS today for the first time and i must say im loving it except for its heavily clunky item interface.

Im building up a sword for humans/beasts.
Dagger for Undead/Phantoms.
And a spear for dragons/evils.

So far so good as each weapon is like 20/15 in both affinities.

However...

I just got up to my third dragon fight in the game, i think, just inside the abandoned mines. And i can barely damage him at all...

Any tips? :confused:

dragoonknight_kain
01-17-2006, 03:14 AM
As I said, chain. I remember I killed the first dragon (not the one Sydney summons, the one before you leave the first dungeon) with a single chain. I don't think you'll be able to deal more than 10 Hp per hit on boss fights, mainly because the game relies on chain attacks for damage.

That door probably led to the Iron Maiden, the game's bonus dungeon. I don't think it accounts for 30% map coverage in the game, but it is quite a chunk.

I think I did that. The door I forgot was on a dungeon that you have a time limit for getting through it. I remember the path split and it lead to a door locked with the silver key.

Also, there was a corridor with loads of locked doors with symbols on the ground. What was that? Secret bosses or something?

NetOwl
01-17-2006, 05:50 AM
Raging Ache is your friend. I got through the whole game without worrying about weapon affinities by abusing that skill. Sure, it means running around with low HP whenever possible, but it makes boss fights fun.

Carmilla
01-23-2006, 04:25 PM
Woooo, im enjoying this game quite a bit. This game is leaps and bounds ahead of the childish Legend of Mana game i played last week...

Im rocking the game now, doing like 70 damage a hit to enemies and close to 100 with affinity+ spells on. Plus, since ive gotten most of the spells the bosses have become quite easy.

But i got a question.
I passed the Snowfly Forest a few hours ago, have 44% map complete and put in like 12 hours of gameplay. How far am i into the game?
About what % map do you have when beating the game for the first time? Because i heard you cant get 100% on your 1st play...

yuno
01-23-2006, 04:38 PM
i think i was at about 80% and i think i got the maximum for the first playthrough.

go and rock the game.go and rock it even more after you get the ultimate holy win.enjoy the story.understand the story.it's good.

Necronopticous
01-23-2006, 05:56 PM
Just concentrate on affinities, build them up the best you can and switch out gems that raise lots to the type and opposing elemental affinities for bosses. Don't get discouraged, Vagrant Story is one of the hardest games of its generation.

dragoonknight_kain
01-24-2006, 03:29 AM
I finished with 70%, but as I said I forgot a door in that dungeon with a time limit. The last dungeon is the church, so before you enter it just look at your map and check if you opened all the doors.

Carmilla
01-24-2006, 04:40 PM
OK, i managed to get up to the last boss of the game last night. I killed the first part of him very easily with break arts doing 70 dmg a hit. And the bosses special last temptation or whatever was doing like 4 dmg to all my body parts. He was really pathetically easy.

I then fight the flying boss and cant even find an attack that does more than 5-10 dmg. He then performs his uber special magic and i lose 80 dmg per body part, killing me in one hit at full health.

So, ummm any tips for this last boss who is kicking my tail? :p

yuno
01-24-2006, 05:29 PM
never let guildenstern use bloody sin (i think that's the name of his uber magic).how?before he uses bloody sin,the camera view shifts ABOVE you.and then he will fly over the battlefield through the center.it is then that you will have the chance to hit him.since you are always at the edge of the battlefield,i wud recommend bringing a crossbow along.when he passes above the field,hit him.even if you miss (i think),his bloody sin will be canceled.your 5-10 damage will increase to a decent number if you can chain well.but personally,i used break arts here,so as not to increase my risk to 100 or so.

Carmilla
01-24-2006, 11:14 PM
I realized why his special was killing me in one hit... because i wasnt in battle mode so i didnt have my shield up! :p

I finally beat the game after spamming all of my hp/mp/risk items.
Thanks for the help yuno, those combos are what really did the trick. :mog:
My 5 dmg turned into combos of 25 dmg after like 7 consecutive combos.

Masamune·1600
01-25-2006, 01:55 AM
It's impossible to achieve 100% map or treasure completion on a first game, as numerous areas are sealed off with the "Rood Inverse." Given that you've finished the game, Ashley will be able to enter areas sealed with the Rood on subsequent playthroughs. This will eventually lead to the Gold, Platinum, and Steel Keys, as well as the Sigils needed for the time trials in the Keep.

Does anyone know what is the max map percentage you can get playing the game through once? Coz I only got 70%, but after I beat the game, I remembered I had forgotten a door. Did I lose 30% because of this door?

Much of the undiscovered map is the result of areas sealed with the Rood Inverse, although a first playthrough can yield somewhere around 85%, if I recall correctly.

yuno
01-25-2006, 05:59 PM
I realized why his special was killing me in one hit... because i wasnt in battle mode so i didnt have my shield up!

I finally beat the game after spamming all of my hp/mp/risk items.
Thanks for the help yuno, those combos are what really did the trick.
My 5 dmg turned into combos of 25 dmg after like 7 consecutive combos.
no problem.glad i cud help.my first few tries fighting him,guildenstern always pwned me.my armor affinities were not so high because i dont let myself get hit that much.i had totally no idea how to stop that smurfin' bloody sin.until i realized WHY the camera angle shifts overhead before bloody sin.dang it,i shud have realized that much sooner.everything became much easier since then.