PDA

View Full Version : What is dark matter

Shin Gouken
01-11-2006, 08:58 AM
ok so i know dark matter is dark matter but what does it look like and how does it work?

In final fantasy V you can mix DM with another DM to cast the spell Dark flare. Well, how does that work :confused:

And in final fantasy VIII it teaches the attack Shockwave pulsar. Again, how is this :confused:

Kawaii Ryűkishi
01-11-2006, 09:19 AM
I'm going to venture to say it's magic.

?????
01-11-2006, 10:05 AM
Dark matter has a negative gravity force associated with it; it actually repels matter instead of attracting it. It is one of many postulated reasons why the universe's expansion appears to be accelerating. In fiction, it's often imbued with powerful magical properties; Dark Matter is required to learn some of the strongest spells in several games. As for teaching magic, it works based on the postulates of whatever metaphysical system is present in the literature.

Shin Gouken
01-11-2006, 10:42 AM
Dark matter has a negative gravity force associated with it; it actually repels matter instead of attracting it. It is one of many postulated reasons why the universe's expansion appears to be accelerating. In fiction, it's often imbued with powerful magical properties; Dark Matter is required to learn some of the strongest spells in several games. As for teaching magic, it works based on the postulates of whatever metaphysical system is present in the literature.

i didn't understand a word of that :greenie:

Neco Arc
01-11-2006, 12:04 PM
Dark matter has a negative gravity force associated with it; it actually repels matter instead of attracting it. It is one of many postulated reasons why the universe's expansion appears to be accelerating.

= physics... commonly referred to as anti-matter. to make it simple; it is the opposite of matter. Scientist are unable to isolate anti-matter, as contact between anti-matter = big explosion + gamma ray = death.

In fiction, it's often imbued with powerful magical properties; Dark Matter is required to learn some of the strongest spells in several games. As for teaching magic, it works based on the postulates of whatever metaphysical system is present in the literature.

Dark Matter = fictional anti-magical matter. therefore magical matter + anti-magical matter = big explosion + magical "radiation" = death...

I think that sums it up...

Captain Maxx Power
01-11-2006, 07:44 PM
= physics... commonly referred to as anti-matter. to make it simple; it is the opposite of matter. Scientist are unable to isolate anti-matter, as contact between anti-matter = big explosion + gamma ray = death.

Not quite. Anti-Matter and Dark Matter are not the same thing. Anti-Matter is considered to be a tangible atomic structure that is opposed to another (for example an atom being constructed the opposite of a Carbon-14 atom). Dark Matter is a theoretical matter that exsists within our universe but doesn't come into contact with us. It is within the same space as we are at the same time. If Dark Matter is real then we cannot detect it, plus it's constantly moving through us without us realising. We know there's some unknown force that's causing the Universe to expand further (i.e. galaxies moving further away from each other faster and faster over time), and some time ago some report was published that apparently was almost irrefutable proof that Dark Matter exsists.

In short: Dark Matter is all around, but cannot be contained because it's not on our "wavelength". Why it's a collectable resource in these games is anyone's guess. Probably bad translation.

Desert Wolf
01-11-2006, 07:50 PM
ok so i know dark matter is dark matter but what does it look like and how does it work?

In final fantasy V you can mix DM with another DM to cast the spell Dark flare. Well, how does that work :confused:

And in final fantasy VIII it teaches the attack Shockwave pulsar. Again, how is this :confused:

It gives you odin in FF9.Thats all you need to know.........

Shin Gouken
01-11-2006, 09:01 PM
Tut :mad:

What are the in game mechanics of dark matter?

So like i'm holding some dark matter. First i mix it with more dark matter and it creates dark flare how? Or i obtain some dark matter and learn shockwave pulsar how?

i get no-one can say for sure, but some idea perhaps?

NeoCracker
01-11-2006, 11:55 PM
Not quite. Anti-Matter and Dark Matter are not the same thing. Anti-Matter is considered to be a tangible atomic structure that is opposed to another (for example an atom being constructed the opposite of a Carbon-14 atom). Dark Matter is a theoretical matter that exsists within our universe but doesn't come into contact with us. It is within the same space as we are at the same time. If Dark Matter is real then we cannot detect it, plus it's constantly moving through us without us realising. We know there's some unknown force that's causing the Universe to expand further (i.e. galaxies moving further away from each other faster and faster over time), and some time ago some report was published that apparently was almost irrefutable proof that Dark Matter exsists.

In short: Dark Matter is all around, but cannot be contained because it's not on our "wavelength". Why it's a collectable resource in these games is anyone's guess. Probably bad translation.

Magical energies altered its wavelength to match one that could be seen, then some lunatic compressed it into whatever form it is you find it in.

?????
01-12-2006, 12:06 AM

For reference, the "opposition" is due to the particle's spin. A positron and an electron are "antimatter" in relation to each other; specifically, it's the positron, because the electron is a normal, everyday particle. There are ways to store antimatter, but it's notoriously unstable and decays very quickly.

Honestly, the concept of dark matter sounds like bunk to me, but it is true that the universe's rate of expansion is increasing.

Dell
01-14-2006, 02:04 AM
to count it in final fantasy non-scientificly then it gives you odin in FF9 and a needed thing to be destroyed to open last dungeon in Tales of destiny 2/eternia