PDA

View Full Version : College attendance?

Croyles
01-11-2006, 01:29 PM
Has anyone ever had any problems with college attendance? I just got a letter in the post about an attendance meeting im supposed to have next monday. Apparently I had 77% attendance, but my teachers (some how) never seem to understand the term 'authorised absence'. I've had countless meetings with college staff about my UCAS application (for uni) and I reported all of these with my lectures, but they always seem to 'forget'. My attendance before all that was something like 88%, which in itself is not actually ideal. Truth is, I'm only doing 3 a levels and have bad attendance, while other people are trying to tackle 5 a levels and have pretty good attendance.

The letter wouldnt have worried me if it didnt read 'Failure to attend the meeting may result in your withdrawal from the A Level Programme.' Great! 'Withdrawal' is a bit of a funny word for that. I think they mean kicked out. Ugh, college bureaucracy!

Anyway, thats my boring ramble. Has anyone else ever had problems with attendance?

Setzer Gabianni
01-11-2006, 01:34 PM
Not really. I would only take days off if I was seriously ill. So far, in this year at my current college, I have attended every single lesson.

However...I have had days off at a previous college, well lessons I should say, and we have had time to do what we want, only to find out later we have been marked absent, when instead people should have known we could have had the lesson off because of teachers absense!

But other then that, my attendance has always been 100% =P

xX.Silver.Wings.Xx
01-11-2006, 01:47 PM
I've never had a day off from college..Im always late though...

Croyles
01-11-2006, 01:54 PM
Wow, good attendance then. Makes me feel kinda stupid.

The Summoner of Leviathan
01-11-2006, 01:58 PM
I always manage to sleep through some classes, like this morning, during every semester...I skipped my Intro to Psyc yesterday, but I can go and see it online. It is video/audio recorded and it has al the slides up. Also my Calc class, this morning's class, is still doing basic Calc which is annoying...If I choose to stay on for a fe more minutes I will be late for my Intro to Ancient Greek...*sighs* I may as well get off now and get dress...*had no shower yet :(*

Setzer Gabianni
01-11-2006, 02:08 PM
Wow, good attendance then. Makes me feel kinda stupid.

Oh, your attendance is pretty much ok. We have people with probably much worser attendance then yours.

^_^

Orestes
01-11-2006, 02:37 PM
I have pretty good attendance. I only have one class that I may skip once every couple of weeks because it's ungodly boring, but that's it.

Devourment
01-11-2006, 02:41 PM
I only go to College twice a week on Tuesdays & Fridays. My attendence is 100%. Though the teachers do complicate things quite a lot. There are lots of times where wrong figures will be given to students. It's never happened to me though.

Miriel
01-11-2006, 05:18 PM
What? Colleges don't check attendence. :p

Jebus
01-11-2006, 06:22 PM

boris no no
01-11-2006, 06:27 PM
At uni they're SUPPOSED to check but basically all that happened is a scrap peice of paper is passed about and you're meant to put your name done, an easy system to break :P

i'm really crap, i skip things all the time ;[ i just like my sleep!
At college i think i had about 70% or lower attendence :P but i was smartish (in my third year xD) so they never said anything! :D

Samuraid
01-11-2006, 06:30 PM
I only miss classes when I sleep in. Other than that, I try to always attend.

~SapphireStar~
01-11-2006, 06:40 PM
What? Colleges don't check attendence.
Mine did, like hawks!

At uni they're SUPPOSED to check but basically all that happened is a scrap peice of paper is passed about and you're meant to put your name done, an easy system to break
Thats true, its really only sent round seminars, not lectures. But you have to get your notes from somewhere and its difficult when your closest Uni mate is a goody-goody.

I did sometimes, and still do! It annoyed me because on the first day of college we had an assembly and they said we shall treat you like adults. I thought brilliant! So what happens when you miss afew days? They send a letter to mum and dad complaining about you. Im sorry, but since when do you go behind the adults back and complain to their parents? Shouldnt you sit down and have an adult conversation with us first? I hated that about college.

Uni have gotten into this habit too. My friend recieved a letter about her attendence and it was addressed to her parents, not her! WTF?! We are in our 19/20s at Uni and for some reason they still send letters to our parents regarding us. I dont see why they dont talk to us, cause to me, a lecture from my mum has no effect on me anymore. Now if my tutor or principle spoke to me, I would sit up and pay attention and listen to them. But this scenerio has allowed me to have no faith in my college or Uni at all.

Shlup
01-11-2006, 08:15 PM
A couple of my teachers take attendance for a small portion of the grade or just as something to consider for end-of-term grades that are "borderline." That's it though. My attendace is awful; I prefer to learn on my own than through lecture. Most of the time I play PSP in class.

xX.Silver.Wings.Xx
01-11-2006, 08:17 PM
I usually plug in my earphones and doze off...

Lost Number
01-11-2006, 08:19 PM
I pay attention in Science, and try to hack school computers in technology. Who cares about the rest.

Yamaneko
01-11-2006, 11:17 PM
5% of your grade comes from your attendance. If you miss five class sessions without document verification you will Fail.

Me: <i>NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!</i>

Moral of the story. Hate profs that base my grade off attendance.

nik0tine
01-11-2006, 11:20 PM
I miss about one day of school a week.

Miriel
01-11-2006, 11:21 PM
5% of your grade comes from your attendance. If you miss five class sessions without document verification you will Fail.

Me: <i>NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!</i>

Moral of the story. Hate profs that base my grade off attendance.
Man, what's wrong with you? Uni? Profs?

Who talks like that?

MecaKane
01-11-2006, 11:21 PM

Remember College in the UK is highschool. Where they run your lives like hawks no matter where you live!

SeeDRankLou
01-11-2006, 11:29 PM
I had a history class at 8am once. I went a total of six times, four of which were test days. I got an A in the class. She was nice enough not to take attendance. There were like 150 people in the class so I don't see taking attendance as being efficient.

But I'm usually good at going to class, I'll just never take an 8am class again.

bennator
01-12-2006, 12:20 AM
I cut class way more than was normal last quarter at the American (i.e., right) version of college (uni to everyone else)...didn't seem to hurt my grades too much.

rubah
01-12-2006, 12:57 AM
I haven't missed a day for being sick since ninth grade that I can remember.

Memoria
01-12-2006, 03:27 AM
Always 15 mins early. I do skip classes, should I get angry enough to.

Psychotic
01-12-2006, 03:30 AM
I didn't go to a few tutorials at university so they sent me an email.

I was terrified at this development and vowed never to do any wrong again.

Seifer
01-12-2006, 03:40 AM
I only skip frequently when I'm on the verge of failing a class, simply because I lose hope. Incidentally, I don't have anything below a C on my transcripts.

Other than that, I only miss class when I feel like /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif, aka, too damn tired to care about going to class. Maybe if I didn't have to commute it would be a different story.

Memoria
01-12-2006, 03:42 AM
I have teachers who will give you like 5 free absences and then they fail you. Those don't have any bearing on your grade, until you miss THAT MUCH.:mad:

Slade
01-12-2006, 04:39 AM
Not really. I was usually in for most days unforunatly. I wasn't allowed many days off, only for sickness and such. Oh and whenever I was going to watch a game of cricket. I didn't see any point to wagging school either. Near the end of my schooling days I ended up taking heaps of days off, but there were excuses for them.
As for the last 3 years in my Art course, why would I want to take any days off that? It is the greatest place ever and I enjoy being there more than being at home :)

Yuffie514
01-12-2006, 05:29 AM
i never had an attendance problem, but if something happens at school, that is because i made it go that way.

Croyles
01-16-2006, 04:42 PM
Ok great well the meeting didnt go too well because the college didnt accept my evidence of authorised absence. im on an attendance contract now, which means that i have to attend all lessons for the next 4 college weeks, and if i dont give a good reason for an absence, im out. I couldnt prove (according to them) most of my absences to be authorised, but I should have like 90% now instead of 80%, and 90% is fine. Your supposed to get a contract when your college attendance gets to 75%, thats exactly what it says in the college guide.

How I love college!

The Summoner of Leviathan
01-16-2006, 06:44 PM
What I have missed today: Morning Calculus class and Calculus Tutorial. Thank goodness they do not do attendance...