PDA

View Full Version : Why does America produce amazing shows?

Emerald weapon
01-11-2006, 10:00 PM
Why does America produce amazing shows?e.g Lost,Desperate housewives,Freinds,

Venom
01-11-2006, 10:01 PM
I wouldnt exactly say American shows are amazing...or good....

Rye
01-11-2006, 10:05 PM
I think all places produce good shows, though America did start some great shows last year. But that was after years of generally boring shows. I think the last American show (that's not a cartoon) that was really good in my opinion, before Lost, Desperate Housewives and House is Seinfeld, and you know how old that is. Desperate Housewives, Lost and House are 3 of my favourite shows. :)

Little Jane
01-11-2006, 10:15 PM
....many shows like the Amazing Race, fear factor, Average Joe...was a good one time season seeing, but now I think they are way boring :p But I appauld The Desperate Housewives firstly, then Sex and the City. :D

Miriel
01-11-2006, 10:16 PM
That's a hard question to answer. Why does Italy produce such great pasta dishes, why does Germany make such great cars?

There's a history of cinema and television in this country, moreso than in other countries. So I guess with every new television hit, they're just following in a long-existing tradition. But seriously, that's a really odd question to ask.

SammieBabe
01-11-2006, 10:23 PM
We produce some good comedies and some good dramas, yes... But then we make some really crappy reality shows...

Chris
01-11-2006, 10:28 PM
The Amazing Race is just that, amazing.

~SapphireStar~
01-11-2006, 10:50 PM
No way, British shows are far more entertaining and I was studying soaps at Uni and apparently Americans prefer British soaps and comedy. They are seen as more realistic then American shows. They remade The Office and Fawlty Towers and they didnt do as well as the British ones.

Im not a huge fan of American shows. CSI, Frasier, The Sopranos, Colombo, Murders, She Wrote and NYPD Blue are the only American shows I watch. I think they make good crime shows, but not comedy. Brits are better, in my opinion, at that.

Dreddz
01-11-2006, 10:54 PM
I only like American dramas myself, They made Desperate housewives, Lost and the Godly Nip/Tuck.
Brits are awful at drama, but I have always found British humor to be hilariously more funny than Americas......

~SapphireStar~
01-11-2006, 10:56 PM
I need to ask Dreddz, sorry its off topic. But Ive just noticed the scar marks around the womans eyes in your sig. Did you just add them or have they been there ever since you started using the sig. Cause if you did, I think Im going blind!

jrgen
01-11-2006, 11:08 PM
The USA has a bigger population than most countries and is, for that reason, bound to produce more TV-shows.

Miriel
01-11-2006, 11:12 PM
Are you guys watching the same 2nd season of Lost and Desperate Housewives as I am? Talk about sophomore slumps.

In any case, since it's not like I watch TV shows from Germany, or Japan or other faraway countries, I have no real basis for comparision.

But I will say that while a lot of people claim that there's nothing good to watch on TV these days, I just don't think most Americans are watching the right things. My favorite show of the last few months has been Rome, which made decent, but not great ratings.

HBO seriously knows how to do television.

Germ Hamee
01-11-2006, 11:20 PM
I think an equally relevant question is, why does america flood the airwaves with decent television, meanwhile stamping out the really good shows before they have a chance to grow?

Miriel
01-11-2006, 11:22 PM
Examples?

Other than Firefly, I can't remember a recent TV show that I thought was really quality, that was cancelled before it was given at least one or two seasons to find an audience.

MecaKane
01-11-2006, 11:26 PM
Only FX, Showtime and HBO make amazing shows. And FX is only like one or two.
The rest of the networks and cable channels are crap crap crap crap crap good show crap. But there's so many channels a few of them will luck out and make something that doesn't suck.

Rye
01-11-2006, 11:32 PM
Only FX, Showtime and HBO make amazing shows. And FX is only like one or two.

Yea, FX is awesome. I watch more for the older shows that it plays, but I love it all the same. Over There (I think it's called) looks great, as does that show with the people with eating disorders.

edczxcvbnm
01-11-2006, 11:35 PM
I like 24. That show is awesome. Speaking of which my 24 avatar will make a come back in a few more days as season 5 starts up.

There are not a great deal of British Comedies that I find funny. Faulty Towers is cool. I prefer my Seinfeld, Frasier and Everyone Loves Raymond. Too bad all of those have finally ended. Oh Dr. Fraiser Crane...you were on for 20 years on Cheers and then your own show...I don't know if I can live without you any more :cry:

Omni-Odin
01-11-2006, 11:35 PM
Nip/Tuck = Best show ever created

If you miss it, you're missin out.

Miriel
01-11-2006, 11:38 PM
Nip/Tuck is overrated. :o

SoulTaker*
01-11-2006, 11:38 PM
I personally cant wait for the Sopranos to begin airing again in March, last month I was into Rome which I thought was a brilliant series, right now Im into House and when Im feel like it I'll tune into the OC. And the question of why america has the best tv shows I cant answer, I really dont have any room for comparison since I havent see many British tv shows.

Blasphemy:mad2:

edczxcvbnm
01-11-2006, 11:41 PM
One thing that sets American shows apart from the rest of the world is our cinematography. That alone makes things more watchable and enjoyable. This has only gotten more noticible over time.

nik0tine
01-11-2006, 11:42 PM
I like 24. That show is awesome. Speaking of which my 24 avatar will make a come back in a few more days as season 5 starts up.

24 is the only good show on TV.

edczxcvbnm
01-11-2006, 11:43 PM
I agree as I don't really watch any other show outside of some sports.

Miriel
01-11-2006, 11:47 PM
24 stole one of the best writers that Lost had (David Fury), which I account for some of Lost's lackluster performance this season. That, and J.J. Smurfing Abrams, likes to get a show going and then abandon it for another project (a la Alias :().

edczxcvbnm
01-11-2006, 11:50 PM
I don't like lost so anything that hurts the show is good...of course anything that helps24 is awesome as well. I am still waiting for my 24 videogame damn it!

Dreddz
01-11-2006, 11:58 PM
Nip/Tuck = Best show ever created

If you miss it, you're missin out.
Correct

Incorrect

Blasphemy
^^^^Speaks the truth

I need to ask Dreddz, sorry its off topic. But Ive just noticed the scar marks around the womans eyes in your sig. Did you just add them or have they been there ever since you started using the sig. Cause if you did, I think Im going blind!
They were with the image, Im not that amazing with Photoshop.

NeoCracker
01-12-2006, 02:01 AM
america tv rocks, like Magus XLR, Invader Zim, Whose line is it anyway, Green screen show with drew carry, South Park, Seinfeld, Everyone Loves Raymond. We are only beat out by Anime, British is only good once in a while, but there is some really funny stuff.

DK
01-12-2006, 02:13 AM
The only American show that I really got into recently was Without a Trace, I love that show, and Anthony LaPaglia is a legend. I've never watched Lost once in my life and I don't really care, Desperate Housewives was fun for a while but got old. I've never watched an Episode of 24, either, and I don't really care about that as well. Before that, Fraiser was totally godlike.

MecaKane
01-12-2006, 02:28 AM
That, and J.J. Smurfing Abrams, likes to get a show going and then abandon it for another project (a la Alias :().

Alias was on for 3 years before Lost came on.

Rusty
01-12-2006, 02:35 AM
I've never liked Desperate Housewives or Lost. Desperate Housewives to me is a glossed up version of the daytime soapies over there. Which I can't stand. Lost is just silly to me. But, thats just my opinion. America do have some good shows, most of the time the humour just classes with me. Except for Fraiser, Fraiser was awesome.

black orb
01-12-2006, 02:53 AM
>>> Some of their original shows are good but the American adaptations from japanese shows are utter crap..

Seifer
01-12-2006, 03:54 AM
I'm reading this thread and thinking to myself, "I just realized...I've watched cartoons all my life..."

So either I have some sort of complex, or I just really don't like live-action television.

Germ Hamee
01-12-2006, 06:52 AM
Examples?

Other than Firefly, I can't remember a recent TV show that I thought was really quality, that was cancelled before it was given at least one or two seasons to find an audience.

Tru Calling, Wonderfalls, Point Pleasant (started out horrible, but got REALLY good a few episodes in)... I know there's a few more, but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

I really despise most of what's on TV. The only shows I support any more are Veronica Mars and Lost... but my interest in that little island is waning.

Awesomeman
01-13-2006, 02:45 AM
There's only one good american TV show: Arrested Development.

vampirepiggyhunter7
01-13-2006, 02:58 AM
The quality of entertainment is rapidly slipping into an alltime low...

Only a few shows are any good.
Amazing Race, Survivor (starting to not care), 2 and a half men (best running comedy), family guy, boondocks, american dad, other AS shows if ur real tired Lost is OK and thats the only phenominal shows making new episodes.
Seinfeld is still the best.

EDIT BY BoB: Please do not post twice in a row - just use the edit/delete button to add more to your post. :) Thanks.

Miriel
01-13-2006, 09:21 AM
It honestly bugs me when people write off American television/film/etc. to be horrible when that's not the case at all.

Gray's Anatomy, Rome, Arrested Development, Prison Break, Lost, Veronica Mars, The Office, Desperate Housewives, The West Wing, Monk, Everybody Hates Chris, all very good shows. And there are more really quality shows out there that I haven't even had the opportunity to watch. Saying that only one or two particular shows are good and everything else sucks is pretty unfair.

Also, I <3 the 80s/90s is one of my favorite guilty pleasures of all time. That's some great televisioning right there.

marc
01-13-2006, 11:28 AM
Only a few shows are any good.
Amazing Race, Survivor (starting to not care), 2 and a half men (best running comedy), family guy, boondocks, american dad, other AS shows if ur real tired Lost is OK and thats the only phenominal shows making new episodes.
Seinfeld is still the best.

they still show surviver in America?, that programme sucked.

Cuchulainn
01-13-2006, 11:29 AM
America make some of the greatest TV on earth, but it's important to remember they make some of the worst too, in equal amounts. They just have a great budget to work on which makes them classy hits or expensive flops.

It honestly bugs me when people write off American television/film/etc. to be horrible when that's not the case at all.

Gray's Anatomy, Rome, Arrested Development, Prison Break, Lost, Veronica Mars, The Office, Desperate Housewives, The West Wing, Monk, Everybody Hates Chris, all very good shows. And there are more really quality shows out there that I haven't even had the opportunity to watch. Saying that only one or two particular shows are good and everything else sucks is pretty unfair.

Also, I <3 the 80s/90s is one of my favorite guilty pleasures of all time. That's some great televisioning right there.

Rome: A joint effort with the BBC, all British actors & production, American money

The Office: A copy of a British TV show

But agreed. America CAN produce great TV. It's just they produce crap in equal measures. My favorite Sitcom is American, Scrubs. My favorite comedian of all time was American, Bill Hicks. My favorite Series, Soprano's, American. To write off ALL American shows can be put down as British Snobbery. Britain churns out crap TV too. Just the British TV Budget doesn't allow them to be so numerous.

escobert
01-13-2006, 11:37 AM
Seinfeld > all

Zeldy
01-13-2006, 06:11 PM
Americans have better Comedy shows but the English has better comedians. Im a big American comedy fan myself, I love My Wife And Kids, Simple Life, Friends, One On One, In The House, Fresh Prince Of Belair, Invasion and things like that. But when It comes to Comedians.. Peter Kay, Johnny Vegas.. <3

Jebus
01-13-2006, 06:13 PM
America made Firefly.

End of story.

<3

Miriel
01-13-2006, 07:05 PM
The Office: A copy of a British TV show

I've seen the original British version of the Office, and I can honestly say that the American reincarnation is very much that, American. I loved the British version, but honestly, I do prefer this American version more.

Cuchulainn
01-13-2006, 07:52 PM
I've seen the original British version of the Office, and I can honestly say that the American reincarnation is very much that, American. I loved the British version, but honestly, I do prefer this American version more.

Very understandable, as as it's for an American audience, you are more likely to pick up more of the subtle jokes & references you wouyld have missed in the UK one. The British version was genius though. As expected I prefered the original.

RPJesus
01-13-2006, 08:33 PM
America doesn't make a lot of good programmes. Britain does comedy a hell of a lot better. The very best comedy is British. And America makes all of these hideously stupid dramas.
They can't do mad action either, that's for the Japanese.

*ETERNAL FANTASY*
01-13-2006, 08:59 PM
24 stole one of the best writers that Lost had (David Fury), which I account for some of Lost's lackluster performance this season. That, and J.J. Smurfing Abrams, likes to get a show going and then abandon it for another project (a la Alias :().

I agree with you there Alias was really good up until Season three (season 4 wasnt too bad) when J.J did Lost and now Lost is faultering abit with him doing MI 3, the guy has alot on his plate but still cant help but get dissapointed sometimes! I love those 2 shows

Most of my favourite shows have already been posted (Greys anatomy,Amazing race, Survivor & 24) but just incase it hasnt been mentioned SMALLVILLE is pretty fantastic, im actually glad that its finally getting the attention it deserves....Its been pretty tight since its pilot!

Crushed Hope
01-13-2006, 09:00 PM
The sheer fact that Scrubs is an American show makes American TV so much better.

I Don't Need A Name
01-13-2006, 09:54 PM
You think they produce amazing shows? Deluded! Friends: oohh thats funny! stealing things from Mr Bean (chicken on the head) and Worlds Funniest Animals! ooohhh soooo funny!........NOT!

Miriel
01-13-2006, 10:14 PM
I agree with you there Alias was really good up until Season three (season 4 wasnt too bad) when J.J did Lost and now Lost is faultering abit with him doing MI 3, the guy has alot on his plate but still cant help but get dissapointed sometimes! I love those 2 shows

R.I.P. Alias. :( :( :(

Edit: Wait, those sad smilies don't do justice to the extreme emotional distress I've experienced while watching one of the best shows I've ever watched in my life, go down in flames and become a horrible mess of a show. This one is better: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v451/Emoticons01/cry.gif

GooeyToast
01-14-2006, 09:46 PM
I watched the first season of Desperate Housewives quite often, but then for some reason I lost interest when the second season rolled around.

Besides that the only other shows I loved were "John Doe", and "The Amazing Race". I get the feeling though that I'm just about the only person who liked John Doe :(

Shadow The Red XIII Thing
01-14-2006, 10:57 PM
I dun watch british t.v.
America makes my fav. shows but I still have the mentality of an 13 yaer old when it comes to t.v. BUT NIP/TUCK IS OKAY but Seinfeld PAWNS ALL
Nuff said

Dreddz
01-14-2006, 11:14 PM
NIP/TUCK IS OKAY
:cry:

Germ Hamee
01-14-2006, 11:30 PM
Besides that the only other shows I loved were "John Doe", and "The Amazing Race". I get the feeling though that I'm just about the only person who liked John Doe :(

:eek: I forgot all about John Doe! That was a great show, but I only saw a few episode of it before Fox switched time slots, did it again, and then cut the show because nobody could keep track of when the damn thing was airing.

GooeyToast
01-15-2006, 05:34 AM
:eek: I forgot all about John Doe! That was a great show, but I only saw a few episode of it before Fox switched time slots, did it again, and then cut the show because nobody could keep track of when the damn thing was airing.

Fox's motto: "What? They like it?! Better pull it off the air!"

Anyways, mark your calendar my friend. January 20th, 7:00 Eastern. Sci-Fi is running repeats every Friday! :)

kikimm
01-15-2006, 07:20 AM
I don't really like TV anymore. Whether that's because nothing good is on, or because I'm just kinda...over it, I'm not completely sure. I just can't remember when anyting is on anymore, even if it is good. Like The Office and Reno 911; I love both of those shows to death, but I always forget when they're on, or to actually turn the TV on.

I can't really comment on any of these other shows, since I've never watched them. I should, since they're probably good, but I really am sick of TV for the most part right now.

Rase
01-15-2006, 08:04 AM
The only shows I watch on a regular basis are the original C.S.I, The Colbert Report, and Two and a Half Men, though I used to never miss Boy Meets World. I just can't get into all the dramas and mediocre comedies. However, VH1's I Love the [insert decade] = :<3:. I also admit to watching some reality shows (See; The Amazing Race, The Apprentice, and Big Brother). Mostly I just watch the History Channel, since it's usually very interesting.

Madame Adequate
01-15-2006, 07:21 PM
Examples?

Space: Above and Beyond. Those two examples alone make the ratings system a problem. Two of the best shows ever, cancelled. Also, though not cancelled., Millennium was significantly changed after season 1, and became suckier. Which is a very bad thing, because it was amazingly good too. And then it ended up cancelled entirely. So, anywhere which lets something average like The X-Files run from the Creation until Apocalypse, but not Millennium, has some issues to sort out.

HBO rock, though. The Sopranos, Rome (BBC helped.), Deadwood, Oz... all incredible TV. And there's stuff on other networks that's good too, such as Lost, 24, House, Law and Order, and C.S.I.

The only British TV I watch is the news, and various documentaries on BBC 2 or Channel 4. Most everything else is American.

Monty Python is the funniest thing to have ever been on TV, though, not even Family Guy can compete.

Oh, and I'll note that America has produced Babylon 5, Lexx, and The Outer Limits. That pretty much owns the rest of Earth's TV right there.

Breine
01-15-2006, 07:32 PM
I don't know if America produces better shows than other countries, but what I do know is that American shows are the ones that get the most publicity, and thus more people watch these shows. Personally I think that Danish Tv series are really bad, but that is probably because I've grown up watching American shows and then I just like my shows the american way.

Captain Maxx Power
01-15-2006, 07:33 PM
Why does America produce amazing shows?e.g Lost,Desperate housewives,Freinds,

I fail to see one amazing show out of the list you've provided.

Madame Adequate
01-15-2006, 07:40 PM
I fail to see one amazing show out of the list you've provided.

Lost and at least 1/2 of Friends are amazing. DH I can't comment on, but I know a fair few people with great taste who love it.