PDA

View Full Version : Zelda or Zelda?

Chris
01-12-2006, 01:15 PM
Which ones do you prefe: the newer games in Zelda or the old school games? I just love the first Zelda, but I think I might prefer the newer ones. I haven't played Zelda for a really long time and I might go back and play all of the games again...sometime anyway. So, let me know which ones you prefer.

Shin Gouken
01-12-2006, 01:27 PM
a link to the past is an amazing game. for me its the best in the series

xancithus
01-12-2006, 01:32 PM
i like all zelda games... link to the past is brilliant but so is OoT

Jebus
01-12-2006, 02:52 PM
Link to the Past > *, however I liked OoT and WW more than Zelda, and definately more than Zelda II.

Endless
01-12-2006, 03:25 PM
Twilight Princess looks like it's going to be awesome, so I'm not deciding yet. But yes, much <3 for Link's Awakening and Link to the past.

Edit: Almost forgot Minish Cap. <3

Black Mage
01-12-2006, 03:35 PM
Agreed, A Link to the Past is my favorite in the series. I loved the others as well, so it's tough for me to decide.

The quality has been held throughout the series, so it's difficult for me to differentiate them in that regard.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
01-12-2006, 03:52 PM
[!]It's a tough question, so I'll resort to statistics. (This was also how I determined that Castlevania:DoS is better than SotN.)

Pre-Ocarina
The Legend of Zelda
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
Out of these four, I could only justifiably call the latter two truly noteworthy. Extremely fun games, those two. Link's Awakening in particular is remarkable for being the only post-ALttP Zelda game without a bunch of horribly contrived side-quests (there are side-quests, just not horribly contrived ones) or a transparent "We're desperate to make this game seem innovative" gameplay mechanic, as well as one of the only two games in the series that has an interesting story that doesn't deal with the main Zelda/Ganon/Triforce plot. (The other one is Majora's Mask.)

Post-Ocarina
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons
The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages
The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures
The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
I don't need to tell anyone how great Ocarina is.

Majora's Mask happens to be the best game in the series. I could elaborate, but it'd be a book.

Link's Awakening proved in 1993 the extent to which portable games could be as complex as console installments, and the Oracle games made an earnest effort of upholding that standard in 2001 only to trip all over itself with hundreds of tediously-acquired secret items, out-of-place animal pals, and so on. However, the animal pals are only shoehorned in for a couple of brief scenes before they become optional, and it's perfectly possible to ignore the hidden items completely, so the only things you have left to grapple with are the season-shifting and time-traveling gimmicks, which are only mildly tiresome. Beneath all the unwelcome extra baggage, there are indeed a couple of pretty fun games to be found. The game-link function was ingenious and fun to explore, too.

Four Swords is so brief that it's barely a game, and it possesses zero single-player gameplay. The only reason I even include it is because it's officially designated to be its own game.

The Wind Waker is fantastic in terms of atmosphere, level design, story, minigames, music, etc. The single aspect preventing it from being equal to Ocarina is its dearth of dungeons.

Four Swords Adventures is great for multiplayer, but I can't call a Zelda game good if it doesn't have a strong single-player quest. And while the first Four Swords game introduced it, this game really established the parallel Vaati-centric continuity. There's certainly more to Zelda than story, but the Vaati timeline just does nothing for me.

The Minish Cap is pretty mediocre. The overworld could be as large as that of Link's Awakening for all I know, but the way it's broken up into stiffly bordered sections instead of interconnected regions makes it feel claustrophobic. Like the Oracle games, it is host to a tediously obscure manner of acquiring an array of eclectic hidden items. And then there's that boring Vaati continuity again.

So that's 50% success for the old era and 63% for the new, but having written this, I realized that it's not a tough question at all and statistics are uncalled for. The newer games are riddled with mediocrity, but they've got Majora's Mask, so they win regardless of numbers.[/!]I just wrote a huge multi-page post about this and then noticed there's a "both" option. So, really, man, why force it?

Chris
01-12-2006, 04:07 PM
I'm sorry. I don't really post in "Genetal Gaming". I just thought of this and decided to post it. :)

Zeldy
01-12-2006, 04:26 PM
I haven't played Zelda for a really long time

Im sorry Chris :( I just don't feel the same way anymore. :p

My favourites are Oot and MM, are they old? ^_^; Oh, and Seasons <3

Awesomeman
01-12-2006, 06:24 PM
Seasons was one of my favorites,So was WW.I like the newer ones alot but I also like A Link to the Past.Blast you!Why did you make me choose!

The Summoner of Leviathan
01-12-2006, 06:35 PM
I never got to play much of the new stuff. It looks good, but since I can't say. I will go with old school. Plus Link to the Past was awesome. Awakening was not so bad, neither were the two Oracle games.

SeeDRankLou
01-12-2006, 07:01 PM
Majora's Mask is my favorite, but A Link to the Past is not far behind. Twilight Princess looks like it has the potential to bump those two however.

Yamaneko
01-12-2006, 07:11 PM
The original Zelda is just plain awesome, but I have to say I enjoyed OoT the most. It just feels like Nintendo got it right with OoT. It was a fully-realized world you could explore at any time, with great gameplay, story and music.

While I enjoy the original Zelda and ALttP, they just don't compare to OoT. I'll pick both, though.

Lionx
01-12-2006, 07:13 PM
I am pretty sure everyone will agree that LotP was really up there, and is for me. <3

KuRt
01-12-2006, 08:09 PM
A link to the past just rules so i have to go with old school.
BTW, do you count Minish cap as a new zelda game or a halway old school game because the graphics aren't 3d like all the other new Zelda games?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
01-12-2006, 08:10 PM
Everything before Ocarina is the old, and everything including Ocarina and following it is the new.

XxSephirothxX
01-12-2006, 09:53 PM
The old Zelda games are great, but OOT is the best game ever made. So if I had to pick one, I'd go for the newer, 3-D, more immersive titles, but even the original is still a fantastic game.

Rostum
01-13-2006, 12:05 AM
I like them all. ^^

LttP, OOT and Minish Cap stand out the most for me.

Xaven
01-13-2006, 12:12 AM
Majora's Mask = :<3:

I believe it's my favorite game of all time, but there are some others up there. I picked 'Both' because I didn't know if it was new or old, but then Kishi posted.

edczxcvbnm
01-13-2006, 12:27 AM
Considering I despise wind waker and all the GBA games I have to with old school by default.

escobert
01-13-2006, 12:40 AM
A Link to the Past and The Legand of Zelda are bestest.

Rengori
01-13-2006, 12:45 AM
Zelda was WAY too comfusing for me after A Link to the Past.

Rostum
01-13-2006, 04:18 AM
Zelda was WAY too comfusing for me after A Link to the Past.

Um... how is it confusing? O.o;;

Rengori
01-13-2006, 04:33 AM
I would have NEVER thought that I would have to set a spider web on fire to advance through the first dungeon. Nor would I have thought that I need to hit the Spider's eye with the sling shot and slash like crazy.

fantasyjunkie
01-13-2006, 07:03 AM
Link to the past was the pinnacle

Yuffie514
01-13-2006, 08:02 AM
i love Zelda: A Link To The Past the most and i have it on my GBA, xD. and i've enjoyed other classic titles such as Link's Awakening, Oracles of Seasons, and Oracle of Ages. the only Nintendo systems i own up-to-date are GameCube and the GBA itself, so i missed out on a great deal of Zelda games while Sony gets most of my money. i will vote for both because i do enjoy the two Oracle games.

Project G
01-13-2006, 11:09 AM
I love the old ones!

The new ones were awful, although I am looking forward to the new one for Gamecube

theundeadhero
01-13-2006, 11:45 AM
NES The Legend of Zelda is one of my favorite all time games. In my prime I could beat it in 45 minutes. Now it takes a little over an hour.

Mythra
01-13-2006, 02:57 PM
Link to the Past is my fav. out of the series hands down. It's one of the games that actually got me into gameing in the first (along with the original, mario, and duck hunt :)). The other ones imo are great games as well. I still remember seeing the old OOT commerical back before it came out, and thought it was the best news ever. MM and WW (along with the GBA ones) are great. And I can't wait for Twilight Princess

Crim
01-13-2006, 03:05 PM
Here is my opinion

In the newer ones these days they have the new graphics and all that stuff however you cannot help but notice that the time it takes to complete the game and the number of dungeons goes down.

For example

In Ocarina of Time, you had child and adult link and had a total of 9 dungeons + ganons castle. However in the Wind Waker you had a total of around 5 dumgeons + ganons castle.

Of course in Wind Waker there is a bit more storyline I guess, more special features and better graphics.

Of course I would have to say my favourite game was Majoras Mask cause I liked all the tasks to actually get the masks :D. Best one to get was the couples mask. Looked ugly but it was fun to recieve. (Along with getting two others along the way.)

Thats my view at least :)

My list of Zelda Games
- Link to the past
- OoT
-Majoras Mask
-Wind Waker
-Oracle of Ages
-Oracle of Seasons
-Minish Cap
-Four swords adventures (GC)

Shadowfoxhanse
01-14-2006, 12:58 AM
To me...i prefer old skool...but it usually doesn't matter

Slothy
01-14-2006, 01:25 AM
I still think Link to the Past and Link's Awakening are the best ones in the series so far, followed by OoT and WW. I'm mostly annoyed in recent years with how they've continually put in fewer dungeons each time. Not to mention WW's lack of an overworld to really explore, and boring sailing. I may have liked it more than OoT had they added a couple more dungeons and ditched those god aweful elements. I still enjoyed most of what was there though.

Reine
01-14-2006, 01:07 PM
I find Link to the Past too confusing and difficult..

My favourites are Links Awakening, Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons

Elite Lord Sigma
01-14-2006, 06:01 PM
Out of the one's I've played, I think Ocarina of Time is the best, followed by Majora's Mask and Link to the Past. I also happen to be fortunate enough to own that GameCube disc with Ocarina of Time, The Legend of Zelda, Majora's Mask, and the Adventure of Link on it.

I have played:
The Legend of Zelda
The Legend of Zelda: The Adventure of Link
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (GBA version)

Which ones have I missed (other than those piece of rubbish CD-i games)?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
01-14-2006, 06:09 PM
The Legend of Zelda
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords
The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures
And, of course, there's Twilight Princess comin' up.

crashNUMBERS
01-14-2006, 06:18 PM
Wasn't OoA and OoS the same year?

Rengori
01-14-2006, 06:19 PM
Wasn't OoA and OoS the same year?
Where the crap is this coming from? Of course they were!

Kawaii Ryűkishi
01-14-2006, 06:33 PM
They were released on the same day, due to the way they interconnect.

crashNUMBERS
01-14-2006, 06:39 PM
So you randomly selected the number order?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
01-14-2006, 06:49 PM
The general consensus is that Seasons comes first. There isn't much evidence either way, except the intro to Seasons takes place in daytime and the Ages intro takes place during sunset.

crashNUMBERS
01-14-2006, 06:51 PM
Wow you're good at this...