PDA

View Full Version : A clash between the two!!

Rice Cake
01-12-2006, 05:31 PM
In your opinion,whats better Dead or Alive or Soul Calibur?

Crossblades
01-12-2006, 05:40 PM
Soul Caliber because of the fact that you can use weapons

~SapphireStar~
01-12-2006, 07:10 PM
Dead or Alive because of the fact that they bounce :D

Rice Cake
01-13-2006, 02:07 AM
I think DOA has a better fighting system.I mean in Soul Calibur you can keep using the same attack over and over again and still beet the game.But in DOA you need to string combos together or you wont be able to beat the final boss.Yet I like the fact that you get to use weapons in Soul Calibur.

Rengori
01-13-2006, 02:46 AM
I love Soul Caliber.

KentaRawr!
01-13-2006, 03:10 AM
I, personally, like Soul Calibur more. :)

Mo-Nercy
01-13-2006, 12:38 PM
Soul Calibur has way too much depth to even be in the same league as DoA.

SC is a real fighter where tactics and strats come heavily into play. It's the type of game that people form clans for and run tournaments with. DoA is much less of a serious fighter and is more of a 'fun-with-friends' kind of thing.

BatChao
01-14-2006, 09:19 AM
As a whole, the SC (dunno about Soul Edge/Blade since I didn't really play them) series definitely outclasses the DOA series. It has much more depth to the fighting engine and, contrary to popular belief, it does take skill to play the game properly. I'm not saying the DOA doesn't take any skill at all, but there are a lot of things that are just ridiculous (counters that don't require precise timing, insane enviornmental damage, etc). That being said, I honestly like DOA4 more that SC3... why? I'm not exactly sure myself, but I find that I have more fun with DOA4... it might have something to do with how well the whole game is put together (almost NO load times) or the fact that the game is shaping up to be more of a competitive fighter than any of it's predecessors (counter time reduced!). SC3 was such a drastic change from SC2 in some ways (including the character I use), that it was a real downer when I started to play. That, coupled with lack of arcade or online modes meant that I could only play against people I knew, which effictively kills any sort of excitement you might get when facing a new opponent. I'm not ready to say that DOA4 has a better fighting engine that SC3, because I know it doesn't (SC3's engine may be one of the most technical of the three SCs), but I just can't wrap my mind around it. DOA4 just has that 'WOW' factor to it. When I'm battling it out with my friends, we can just play the same character over and over again, and still have a great time discovering all the crazy things that can be done. SC3 is still good, but right now it might be my least favorite SC. I think it has more to do with lack of challengers than the actual game, though... I just wish there was some way to have a constant stream of people the challenge so I could learn to get better. Playing against the same people over and over again can only get you so far.

Mo-Nercy
01-14-2006, 09:33 AM
I've yet to play DOA4 but it's true that SC3 doesn't make the same impression on me that SC2 did, mostly due to the lack of an arcade version. Sure, I use Cassandra and I can rightly pwn all my friends but sadly that's all I can pwn. The joy that comes from destroying the will of a complete stranger is gone.

*plays Tekken now*

Slothy
01-14-2006, 01:03 PM
I'll definitely have to go with Soul Calibur. I personally feel they have deeper and much better balanced fighting engines than the DOA games. I also feel the same way about just about every other fighting game. I think VF4, Tekken, Street Fighter, and just about every other fighting game I've played in recent years has a better fighting engine, and was more enjoyable for me than any of the DOA games. And this is coming from a guy who killed many hours with DOA2 back when the PS2 was launched.