PDA

View Full Version : Death Cab For Cutie vs The Postal Service

Lindy
01-13-2006, 07:53 PM
WHO WILL WI- ...actually, I'll be serious about this.

I've been talking to my friends about it a lot, I mean sure Death Cab have a massive weight of albums behind them, but there's just...something wonderful about The Postal Service.

I mean, to be honest, Death Cab for me is all Gibbard's vocals, he IS Death Cab, so with him leading The Postal Service I'm so horribly torn between the two.

I sorely love Death Cab, they have some wonderful songs and albums, President of What, Photobooth, 405, Company Calls, all fantastic stuff.

My favourite album is probably Transatlanticism, The New Year, Title and Registration, the title track, and especially Passenger Seat which holds some special memories for me.

The most recent album however, does certainly have an essence of The Postal Service about it, which I suppose is part of the reason I feel so drawn to it.

But then I come to The Postal Service, just a ten track album, all I have of them, but I love every moment of it. I mean I like Death Cab a lot, but there are always songs I don't like on their albums, but The Postal Service is just pure gold, every song is wonderful and memorable.

I think I'd give all the money I have in the world for a new Postal Service album, I know that sounds sad, but it just one of the few pieces of music I can listen to that makes me feel genuinely happy and refreshed just listening to it.

...And yet after all that, I still can never decide.

So uhh yeah, deep dissection aside, which do you personally prefer?

And if you've only heard of one, or neither, get the hell out from under your rock and download Death Cab's Transatlanticism and The Postal Service's Give Up.

Miriel
01-13-2006, 10:12 PM
Dude, I CAN'T CHOOSE.

But I will say that I have been listening to Death Cab a lot more recently than I've been listening to Postal Service. But when Postal Service releases a new album, I'm sure it'll be the other way around. It's a see-saw, man.

Winter Nights
01-13-2006, 10:26 PM
I have a couple of Death Cab songs on my computer, but I can't say that I really listen to either that often.

Reles
01-13-2006, 10:29 PM
Never listened to The Postal Service, but I'm sure I'll look into it. I've heard someone mention it, especially in comparison to Death Cab for Cutie. I love Death Cab though. :D

Emery
01-13-2006, 10:39 PM
hmmm...I havent heard many songs of Deathcab and the ones I have heard I like, but hmmm I like the postal service better, but i havnet heard as much of Deathcab for cutie.

rubah
01-13-2006, 11:41 PM
I haven't been able to get into Death cab. But I'm very fond of the pos.

Epiphany
01-13-2006, 11:54 PM
Personally I prefer Death Cab to Postal Service. I find DCFC can relax me better with the melodies they possess moreso than Postal Service.

Rye
01-13-2006, 11:57 PM
To be honest, I haven't listen to much of either (which I'm planning to change once I get some money to buy a good CD of either), but from what I've heard, I prefer The Postal Serive. :)

Lindy
01-14-2006, 12:04 AM
But when Postal Service releases a new album, I'm sure it'll be the other way around. It's a see-saw, man.
Dude, isn't it like, a total if?

Isn't Gibbard heavy into DCFC again? Dunno what Tamborello is doing though.

If you know for sure it's a when, then DETAILS.

Miriel
01-14-2006, 12:06 AM
I choose to BELIEVE!

It'd suck if Give Up was the one and only release by Postal Service. :down:

Necronopticous
01-14-2006, 01:44 AM
Death Cab for Cutie always seems like more honest music to me. I love the Postal Service but I can't help but feel like I'm listening to Ben's playful side project. In some ways the Postal Service just seems like a bonus on top of the grandeur that is Death Cab...but in a fistfight, the Postal Service wins hands down.

dyvid
05-01-2013, 03:01 AM
I love stumbling upon threads from history when trawling the internet. if you guys are active still you may be interested in knowing that the postal service re-released give up with extra tracks and are touring at the moment. sorry for being 7 years late for the party

Laddy
05-01-2013, 03:10 AM
Someone call the Mages' Guild! There's Necromancy going on here!

Del Murder
05-01-2013, 03:35 AM
This thread stays open because I was front row for The Postal Service at Coachella and they were great.

Shorty
05-01-2013, 04:27 AM
I am incredibly upset because I thought Lindy was back from the dead but no :colbert:

As much love in my heart that I have for Death Cab, I have to go with the Postal Service. They were the first music of Ben Gibbard's that I ever heard and I associate so many of the songs with good memories. Plus, he uses Jenny Lewis as backup vocals, the beats are just amazing and the Postal Service show was better than both of the Death Cab shows I've been to.

Postal Service wins for me.

escobert
05-01-2013, 06:15 AM
I am incredibly upset because I thought Lindy was back from the dead but no :colbert:

that's the only reason I opened this thread :(

Miriel
05-01-2013, 09:21 AM
Omg, this makes me so sad! 7+ years ago, I totally thought Postal Service would release at least one other album. :crying:

But still, at least I got to see them live!

Calliope
05-02-2013, 07:25 PM

ME TOO, DAMMIT.

Sarah, did you get a Postal Service ticket? I have to say I'm a bigger fan of Death Cab so I haven't gotten one yet.

Shorty
05-02-2013, 09:04 PM
I got one for Portland because Seattle was like 30 dollars more :(

Jowy
05-03-2013, 01:42 AM
I got one for Portland because Seattle was like 30 dollars more :(

Extra two and a half hour drive to save thirty bucks, huh? :monster:

I like Death Cab more as well but I'm still not gonna pass up the chance to see TPS.

Shorty
05-03-2013, 01:43 AM
It's the same distance to Seattle and Portland from here, nerd.

Jowy
05-03-2013, 01:48 AM
Coeur d'Alene to Portland - 384 miles.
Coeur d'Alene to Seattle - 311 miles.

I doubt your skills as a navigator!

Shorty
05-03-2013, 01:49 AM
oh, sorry, seventy miles more. :roll2

Jowy
05-03-2013, 01:51 AM
the bottom line is you're still eating the extra thirty bucks in fuel costs and travel expenses!

Shorty
05-03-2013, 01:53 AM
I drive a Mazda 3. It'll be five dollars extra for the gas because I get 4254953954 million miles a gallon.

Jowy
05-03-2013, 01:56 AM
whatever, that whole week's gonna be awesome. you're gonna be the one missing out!

Shorty
05-03-2013, 01:57 AM
No I'm not! because I'm seeing them a day before you and for the second time! :aimkiss:

Jowy
05-03-2013, 02:01 AM
but you're missing my birthday party so your entire argument is invalid.

Shorty
05-03-2013, 02:02 AM
duuuude, what! what the shit, I'm a terrible friend :(

fuuuuuuuuu fine maybe I'll swing up there after

Jowy
05-03-2013, 02:04 AM
you'd better. i feel obligated to take you to Shorty's.

chionos
05-03-2013, 03:38 AM

As much love in my heart that I have for Death Cab, I have to go with the Postal Service. They were the first music of Ben Gibbard's that I ever heard and I associate so many of the songs with good memories. Plus, he uses Jenny Lewis as backup vocals, the beats are just amazing and the Postal Service show was better than both of the Death Cab shows I've been to.

Postal Service wins for me.

I thought Lindy was resurrected too lol.

Also, same here for the rest of it too. I like Death Cab, quite a bit, but PS makes me happier, just all around more solid.

Dignified Pauper
05-03-2013, 04:05 AM
I don't think I can choose at all between the two. Both are awesome, and those damn lyrics... SO DAMN GOOD! I love the DCFC album Plans best. So many good songs.

Postal Service is just completely different. Very electronic. Part of me cannot compare the two.

Calliope
05-03-2013, 06:41 AM
wtf sarah!

Still, it was just announced that DCFC are playing Bumbershoot (http://blog.kexp.org/2013/05/02/bumbershoot-announces-2013-music-lineup/) this year, playing through Transatlanticism. Mandatory eoff meeting? I bet I can con Joy into joining us!

Shorty
05-03-2013, 06:43 AM
I know dude I knowwww ;-;

TRANSATLANTICISM YES but what the hell man, those tickets are going to be so expensive ;-; but I'd go just to see Death Cab and fun!

I'M COMING TO SEATTLE AT SOME POINT I just don't know when yet!

Calliope
05-03-2013, 06:50 AM
You can buy a one-day pass. Do it! The weather will be awesome, we can stay in a hostel and/or go harass Eric and Joy, and we have a monorail. Also, this is what Bumbershoot is like:

Shorty
05-03-2013, 06:51 AM
smurf THAT IS MY IDOL WITH JOHNATHAN RICE RIGHT NEXT TO HER okay I'm convinced

how much for a day pass? and I thought Joy was in Chicago?

Calliope
05-03-2013, 06:56 AM
Oh, maybe. I thought she was just on holiday though!

It looks like the website (http://bumbershoot.org/) is down right now, but try again tomorrow. From memory, a three-day pass is about $75, with one-dayers being $30. It's a small price to pay to party with me, bb :cool:

Shorty
05-03-2013, 06:58 AM
oh shit, what? $30? I'm buying one tomorrow.

I HOPE WE CAN ALL AGREE ON THE FIRST because that's the day I'm buying for

Jowy
05-03-2013, 08:18 AM
The monorail just takes you over to Queen Anne and nobody wants to be there! I'm getting a two day pass to see King Kendrick and Joey Bada$$ on Saturday and then Sunday's lineup. Bassnectar's all that Monday really has going for it and he comes here all the damn time anyway. How did you guys plan on getting here? Parking isn't very ample anywhere, but feel free to stash your cars near my place. Ten minute bus ride to Belltown on weekends and we won't have to do much walking. If you opt for a hostel, there's one near Pike Place Market and only a fifteen minute walk to the venue.

And then we'll go party in Capitol Hill!