PDA

View Full Version : FFVIII Disk 3 glitch

Queen Anthai
01-13-2006, 08:40 PM
I'm on Disc Three in the Lunar Base, moments before Squall goes out into space to save Rinoa. Just after Ellone says "I don't know if I can send you...I don't know" and you follow her down the elevator, the screen goes black. Music is playing, since THEORETICALLY there's a cutscene there, but no graphics. And after the invisible cutscene, everything just stops. It's like it glitches up the whole game.

And I'm exceedingly perturbed at this, because I'm dying to finish this game again.

I've beaten the game about half a dozen times before and this has never happened to me. I have never had any problems with my discs before this. I am on a PS1 and I've tried the "opening/closing the lid" trick to no avail. I really, really want to keep going because I'm playing my best game yet.

So am I going to have to find a replacement disc 3, or am I well and truly screwed?

dante the demon prince
01-13-2006, 10:17 PM
your well and truely screwed because i've looked everywere

chronic_Maniac
01-15-2006, 10:19 AM
Well You can try turning the ps1 upside down that sometimes works, but if you really like the game, I have bought like 3 copies of 8, two of 6,5,4, Seven yes for FF7, and 4 for 9. Its not that big of a deal but if money is a problem I can relate, there were times I acturally rented the game and by my mistake switched the not so good disk with a good one. Oh I was too dumb to notice so I didn't do anything about it. Thats just how it is.

Queen Anthai
01-15-2006, 10:04 PM
How much are you asking? I'd deeply appreciate it. Email me at queenanthai@hotmail.com. Thanks.

Shoeberto
01-16-2006, 07:30 AM
It means your PS1's reader is going out and that your disc is probably scratched up. You can run your PS1 on either side/upside down, forcing it to read from a different part of the lense that isn't worn out, and that'll help you for a while. Eventually, that'll stop working (believe me, I've been in this situation), so I'd recommend investing in a PS2 if possible.

u2girl1966
01-17-2006, 04:27 AM
I am having the same problem, but with Disc 1. I get to the first dream sequence and just as Laguna and his friends go into battle, *pfft*. Screen goes black, music goes on, game quits.

For the record, I've got the PC version. It's a used copy and Disc 1 has got some scratches.

:(

Queen Anthai
01-17-2006, 07:58 AM
It means your PS1's reader is going out and that your disc is probably scratched up. You can run your PS1 on either side/upside down, forcing it to read from a different part of the lense that isn't worn out, and that'll help you for a while. Eventually, that'll stop working (believe me, I've been in this situation), so I'd recommend investing in a PS2 if possible.

The disc has not a single scratch on it, for the record. Also, I have a PS2, but the effing thing flatly refuses to play any "black disks" (a racist PS2!), which is why I invested in a PS1.

FinalCetra
01-17-2006, 08:23 AM
Ever try taking apart your PS2 and cleaning it? Mine started doing the same thing, eventually escalating to almost ALL of my games, PS2 and PS1. So I took the thing apart--waranty has long passed anyway-- and I used a q-tip and some rubbing alcohol to clean the lense. Worked good as new!

Just be carefull not to lose any screws or anything if you try this. Since I did that, I now clean it every time it starts acting funny, and it works!

daniel kid
01-18-2006, 11:28 PM
when the game freezes,open the lid of the ps1,close it again allow for it load in and it will skip the cutscene!! i had to do this on IX as my game froze in the ending

daniel kid
01-18-2006, 11:32 PM
Well You can try turning the ps1 upside down that sometimes works, but if you really like the game, I have bought like 3 copies of 8, two of 6,5,4, Seven yes for FF7, and 4 for 9. Its not that big of a deal but if money is a problem I can relate, there were times I acturally rented the game and by my mistake switched the not so good disk with a good one. Oh I was too dumb to notice so I didn't do anything about it. Thats just how it is.
hey send me a one of you vii,viii,and ix dude LOL