PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts on Final Fantasy III

Crossblades
01-13-2006, 11:45 PM
I just beat FF III on my NES emulator and I thought I'd make this thread just to throw in my two cents. I'll break this into different parts like graphics, story, etc.

Graphics

For an 8 Bit game, it sure had some pretty good grahics. There were times that I had forgotten I was playing on the NES! But it's a shame Square Enix won't release this game in SNES graphics, because that would've been so cool.

Story

Personally, I think FF III had a great story. I also like the fact that NPCs join you to make the story more interesting. My favorites NPCs are Desh and Dorga, they rule! The story isn't better than we've already seen in FF IV or FF VI, but it was still enjoyable IMO. It was fun and easy to undertand unlike FF X. I like how the story led to Zande and what he intended to do. However, it's a shame that you can't play the NPCs in battle. Hopefully, the upcoming Nintendo DS version will change this.

Gameplay

The gameplay for this game was good, but I didn't like the fact the character and enemy turns were random. .(There were times that my Monk would get killed by the enemy before my White Mage had a chance to heal him!) However, I liked the traditional leveling up system that was left out in FF II. I was also impressed with the Job system. The jobs are overly implied however, you’ll only use half of them. (I never used: Archer, Geomancer, Viking, Bard, Conjurer, and even Summoner). Jobs also don’t have requirement jobs… you sort of have to pay a price that is easily paid off from a few fights. Battles are rather smooth from what I know, and enemies and such can prove to be challenging. My favorite jobs were Mystic Knight and Ninja. My final party was Mystic Knight, Ninja, Warlock, and Sage. I love the way my Mystic Knight attacks with a Masamune and a Full Moon.

Sound

For a Nintendo game, it had some pretty catchy tunes. I kinda like the battle theme, the final boss theme, and the World Map theme.

Final Thoughts

I thought this game was very fun and enjoyable. Sure it had some flaws, but what game doesn't? It had a good story and decent gameplay. And it's tied with FF I (GBA DoS version)at #4 on my top 5 favorite FF list. As of now, my favorite FF list is like this.

1. Final Fantasy VI
2. Final Fantasy IV
3. Final Fantasy IX
4. Final Fantasy I/Final Fantasy III
5. Final Fantasy II

So if you have an NES emulator, get this ROM and play this game. You won't regret it. Trust me

ljkkjlcm9
01-14-2006, 12:40 AM
true it will not be having SNES graphics, but it will be having much better graphics. And didn't the release a WSC version with SNES type graphics, or am I imagining that?

THE JACKEL

Crossblades
01-14-2006, 01:35 AM
true it will not be having SNES graphics, but it will be having much better graphics. And didn't the release a WSC version with SNES type graphics, or am I imagining that?

THE JACKAL

if I recall the WSC version was cancelled

Robesphere
01-14-2006, 01:47 AM
if I recall the WSC version was cancelled

Right, but then they announced a Nintendo-DS remake. The last screenshots I've seen were these: RPGamer FF3 Screenshots (http://www.rpgamer.com/games/ff/ff3ds/screens/ff3dsss102105.html)

Edit: Which has already been mentioned at the top of this forum as I just saw.. lol

Crossblades
01-14-2006, 01:59 PM
Right, but then they announced a Nintendo-DS remake. The last screenshots I've seen were these: RPGamer FF3 Screenshots (http://www.rpgamer.com/games/ff/ff3ds/screens/ff3dsss102105.html)

Edit: Which has already been mentioned at the top of this forum as I just saw.. lol

I posted those screenshots

Cubster
01-16-2006, 12:18 AM
Glad you liked FFIII. I finished it three years ago on emulator and had a lot of fun with. I didn't really care for the Final Boss music and thought it was kind of silly (too short and should be longer because final battles are meant to be dramatic). I did love the regular Boss Battle music though. Can't wait for the DS version and thanks for the pics!:thumb:

crashNUMBERS
01-16-2006, 03:57 PM
FFIII, though I am not finished with it, is my favorite FF game...

Crossblades
01-16-2006, 03:59 PM
FFIII, though I am not finished with it, is my favorite FF game...

How far are you?

crashNUMBERS
01-16-2006, 04:01 PM
I'd hate to say it but I haven't played this game in a frekin long time and I was only like level 12. BUt laugh all you want. This game blew me AWAY...

Crossblades
01-16-2006, 04:20 PM
It's not funny. Continue playing man!!

Desert Merchant
01-22-2006, 03:21 PM
I don't understand why they won't release this game on ps or ps2, it will be the only game in the series thats not on CD.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
01-22-2006, 11:22 PM
It's no longer cost-effective to release a game for the PS. Releasing Origins in 2003 was pushing it as it was. And releasing it on the PS2 wouldn't be considered justified.

Fuefu
01-26-2006, 11:46 PM
Honestly now. Wouldn't that be obvious? C'mon. The PS3 is coming up soon so why would someone still be creating a game for the original PlayStation? Unless they don't care about sales and just want a good Gamespot score for having good quality for a PS game. Unless that, then they're some dumb companies in this world.

Zeromus_X
01-27-2006, 12:03 AM
well glad you like it crossblades! it definitely has my favorite music for any ff game. ( i cant wait to hear how it sounds on the ds!)