PDA

View Full Version : Grouping in FFXI

Duncan
01-14-2006, 06:27 AM
I hear alot that with FFXI, that once you get past lvl 10 or so that you pretty much need to always be in a group. With regards to that, if I can afford to give a couple of hours in a session, will that be enough to find a group and run some quests before needing to log off? I'm very interested in FFXI but I'd like to understand how much time is needed to a) find a group, and b) complete a typical quest for a group.

Markus. D
01-14-2006, 07:22 AM
lets just say its minutely short and quick.

and by that I mean, its lengthy.

Lionx
01-14-2006, 07:33 AM
Well it really depends, sometimes it can take an hour or more if you are making up a party, but it can also be reletively fast and in 15-20min get to where you wanna party pretty fast. It depends on the day. The quest also is dependant on if you plan beforehand and how much people wanna help you out if they are strangers. But usually this game requires alot of time, and if you exp its best to leave after 2 hours...or 1 and 1/2..just 1 hour isnt going to accomplish much.

chronic_Maniac
01-14-2006, 10:05 AM
Dang the answer depends on where your at in the game. Also what level you are. Like in the dunes when your level 16-19 your golden to have a party. you also have to look at what time you play on. Cause you really want to get when all the kids get out of school or on a weekend.

Ouch!
01-14-2006, 08:04 PM
I've found also that the time you play at is very important. For me, I've noticed that from 4:00 PM (central) onward it's easier to get a party. There's usually more people on. Of course, there's always slow days. Even on weekends I don't suggest getting up early in the morning to party all day long. You could wait for a party for a long time. If you want to party for a long time, stay up late into the next morning.

Carmilla
01-15-2006, 07:39 PM
I hear alot that with FFXI, that once you get past lvl 10 or so that you pretty much need to always be in a group. With regards to that, if I can afford to give a couple of hours in a session, will that be enough to find a group and run some quests before needing to log off? I'm very interested in FFXI but I'd like to understand how much time is needed to a) find a group, and b) complete a typical quest for a group.

This thread is being very easy on what i consider to be one of FFXI's biggest pitfall...

Beyond level 10-12 you wont and cant get anywhere in the game without being in a party. From good quests, to missions, to gaining exp you will need a party, usually of 6+ members.

It takes on average from 30 mins to 2 hours to get a party going and starting. More if youre not one of the 'wanted' classes.
Being a White Mage or Bard will find you parties MUCH quicker as well as most Red or Black Mages. But have fun waiting and waiting and waiting for a party if youre a Monk or Dragoon.

Also, if youre equipment isnt up to spec for your level and your sub job isnt leveled you can pretty much give up on partying. Or if your character isnt cookie cutter like a White/Black Mage or Paladin/Warrior then you will not find a party. If you like making a Dark Knight/Bard because you find it fun or cool then this game isnt for you.

And once your party is up and running you need at least 3-4 hours to accomplish ANYTHING. Its not rare to spend 6 hours to gain one level or finish one mission late in the game.

Plus i find it amusing that this is one of the only recent rpgs which doesnt have a 'dash' button to make you move quicker. Chrono has it, Mana games do, as do just about every offline FF game.
So why doesnt FF XI have a 'dash' button? Easy, because it is pay to play! So the slower you move the less you accomplish. Brilliant! :tongue:

Lionx
01-15-2006, 09:12 PM
Your post is being way too hard on the other hand, its not extremely hard but its not a cakewalk either. In case you didnt know running around and walking is different, its just you are in auto-run the entire time. Theres also many ways to move about.

Beyond level 10-12 you wont and cant get anywhere in the game without being in a party. From good quests, to missions, to gaining exp you will need a party, usually of 6+ members.

Whlie this is true for most exp parties, its not only limited to that, healer and tank can do some good duoing on Toughs and stuff like that just most dont choose to. Good quests doesnt necessarily need 6 people, but you do get the maximum benefit of all 6 member's combined strengths, and not all missions need a party, however this is a partying game. If you dont want it join WoW where soloing is more prevalent.

It takes on average from 30 mins to 2 hours to get a party going and starting. More if youre not one of the 'wanted' classes.
Being a White Mage or Bard will find you parties MUCH quicker as well as most Red or Black Mages. But have fun waiting and waiting and waiting for a party if youre a Monk or Dragoon.

This varies, sometimes you can stay LFG, but who does that? Put up some search comments saying where your Home Point is, then do something else. If you hate waiting then make your own, if there is none of the classes availible or not enough seeking put up your flag, your comment and do something else. People that complain like this have some merit, however they always sit there and complain they cant do anything when they could. Theres always stuff to do.

Its true that certain classes are more wanted than others, however there are roles in the party to be filled, and you need a decent party too. Theres only going to be so many invited, so either wait or make your own. You can also eaisly make a pt in 10mins or less, it varies.

Also, if youre equipment isnt up to spec for your level and your sub job isnt leveled you can pretty much give up on partying. Or if your character isnt cookie cutter like a White/Black Mage or Paladin/Warrior then you will not find a party. If you like making a Dark Knight/Bard because you find it fun or cool then this game isnt for you.

I aint going to go into the subjob thing, there are workable subs for different situations, and since you are in a party you get a sj that helps enhance your role best, not a WAR/SMN with crap MP. On that note DRK/BRD(any /BRD) in valkurm isnt that bad with Minuet and Paeon outside certain tanks/melee. In fact some job combos as i said before, are so powerful subbed, that they nerfed some abilities to even it out for other jobs.

And i am sure you want the tank to tank in lvl 5 gear when you are fighting something at lvl 50. In any game, if you use outdated gear, and fight some higher lvl monster, you will find yourself taking more damage, so what are saying here? We let people get away with that and then blame the healers when you are taking more than 100 a pop at lvl 50? It doesnt have to be uber l33t gear either, decent is enough for most. I aint going to care if a NIN tanks with AF or Scoropion Harness(although it does help..thats why its l33t gear) as long as they can do it right.

And once your party is up and running you need at least 3-4 hours to accomplish ANYTHING. Its not rare to spend 6 hours to gain one level or finish one mission late in the game.

2 Hours or 1.5 hours minimum for me..but i hope you can find someone to replace you otherwise you know what? You waste 5 other people's time too. Do you think you are the one suffering really? And should lvls come easy? Its more cool to see "Lionx attains level 71!" after the toughness of getting there rather than see me gain level 540 and only need 2 hours to get another level. FFXI was never about instant gratification, theres plenty of other MMOs(WoW is prime about this, and i aint bashing it, but it does have more instant stuff) that have that, this is working for something. Some might find it a grind, but i find it incredibly inthralling when i beat a tough boss, it draws me into the game again after a burnout.

Garland
01-20-2006, 02:52 AM
For the most part, your equipment has no bearing on how quickly you get a party. At worst, it'll stop you from getting repeat invites from the same people. Most party invites don't come from people within examination distance. If your gear is REALLY bad, you might get kicked before the party starts, but you'll get your invite regardless. People doing a /sea all jobname level#-level# don't get to see what gear you have. The only visual clues a leader has to your quality is subjob level and your rank. High rank doesn't help near as much as it used to, but low rank hurts just as much as it ever did. Having a capped and appropriate subjob is the best thing you can do to open your doors to a party invite. You'll get invites just as fast as the elite player next to you, but if your gear sucks, people will resent you.

If you want to increase your chances of a GOOD invite in the narrow window you've allowed yourself, use a search comment. Include your current EXP TNL, your food, and your available subjobs if you have multiple levelled. Include the time you have to leave so that there are no unpleasant surprises. Include any equipment that sets you apart from the rest. IE: If you have a Vermillion Cloak or a Scorpion Harness at 59 or 57 respectively, include that. White Mages with Erase at 32-39 (before it can be BCNM'd and is demanded) should note it. You're selling yourself in your search comment. That said, just having a search comment sets you apart from the masses. The average newb/noob doesn't bother.