PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on time travel

I Took the Red Pill
01-15-2006, 02:43 AM
Time travel has long been a staple of science fiction, but recent research in quantam physics deems it as plausible. There are many arguments on both sides. For the con sides, arguments arise such as the "grandfather" paradox, in which you go back in time and kil lyour grandfather, therefore ever preventing your birth, and the simple fact that time travel in itself is a paradox (an event in history both occured and didn't occur at the same time.) Advocates of time travel believe nature would balance the process by somehow preventing you from killing your grandfather, and see a lot of possibility in wormholes. It's a hard concept to grasp, but what are your thoughts on the subject?

NeoCracker
01-15-2006, 03:00 AM
Scientist researching this should stop. Say that they do succeed in traveling through time. doing anything to change the time flow could completely screw everything up. Sure it could also make it better, but there is no possible way you can make an 100% calculation of what would happen. And with humans being as we are, anything would could make better will more than likely get completly screwed up. Look at video games, such examples are Final Fantasy X-2.

DK
01-15-2006, 03:03 AM
You know that time travel will never exist because if it did people from the future would be coming back in time and becoming incredibly rich from betting.

Omnislash07
01-15-2006, 03:04 AM
I dont think it is possible to go back in time. Some people think of time as a book and you can skip ahead to see what happens next in life or you can go back and see what happened earlier. I believe that life is like a blank book and after each page is written it is erased and a new page is started. Thus going into the past or future is impossible because it is no longer there and all we have is the present.

Shoden
01-15-2006, 03:11 AM
No chance.

As velocity increases mass increases, you need lightspeed to travel through time and to reach lighspeed you'd need all the energy in the universe to move your incredibly heavy and smashes body, and I don't think that's possible.

NeoCracker
01-15-2006, 03:44 AM
You know that time travel will never exist because if it did people from the future would be coming back in time and becoming incredibly rich from betting.

Actually that wouldn't work. Money is actually dated, so if you used the future money it wouldn't register because of that. Unless its a short time frame, in which case they would probably find a way to keep tabs on anyone.

radyk05
01-15-2006, 04:20 AM
you forgot to mention that the theory also says that you may end in another universe. you may kill your grandfather in that universe and not get any reprecusions.

Hawkeye
01-15-2006, 04:33 AM
You need the flux capacitor

Actually that wouldn't work. Money is actually dated, so if you used the future money it wouldn't register because of that. Unless its a short time frame, in which case they would probably find a way to keep tabs on anyone.
Haven't you seen back to the future 2?

Dolentrean
01-15-2006, 04:41 AM
Ok acording to science you can not go back in time, but you can in a way move forward. Time is realative T=Ti/(gamma constant) if you travale at very high speeds, ie half the speed of light or higher, time moves slower REALATIVE to the earth. so if you move at .98 the speed of light for 5 years, 5 years will pass for you but closter to 40 (guess, im to lazy to do calulation) years will pass on earth.

Also if you travle at the speed of light (immposable) you will no longer age, and will be able to go to the furture, realise it is a one way trip, you cant come back.

The Summoner of Leviathan
01-15-2006, 04:42 AM
No chance.

As velocity increases mass increases, you need lightspeed to travel through time and to reach lighspeed you'd need all the energy in the universe to move your incredibly heavy and smashes body, and I don't think that's possible.
If I remember correctly as an object approaches the speed of light it mass aproaches infinity.

mooglebunni608
01-15-2006, 04:44 AM
has anyone heard of the time travel convention??suposedly there was only one, because if a time travelor wanted to go they'd simply hafta travel back in time to it....

Meat Puppet
01-15-2006, 05:11 AM
on my hotmail the other day I got a message from a kind man who has come from the future and is trapped in time. what should I do?

eidt (edit: edit), and then there's this dude:

Reply to: stepon@yahoo.com
Date: 2003-08-27, 9:01AM

Hello-
This is not a joke.

I'm looking for 1-2 individuals to help me test my time machine.

We recently completed our first mission in the Time Travel Transport (TTT) and it worked flawlessly. I was left relatively unscathed. We know, once perfected, that this will change the world we live in and will literally "re-write history".

I would like to build a small team to help me. I will be doing the actual computer work, but you should have a decent knowledge of computers. A knowledge of different eras in history would be very helpful (clothing styles, regional dialects, etc.)

As a team member, you will accompany either myself or my assistant into the past or the future. As you can expect, you will have to pass a physical/mental examination, and although we believe the process to be very safe, we cannot guarantee your safety 100%.

Please forward all relevant information
-weight/height
-a photo if you would like
_relevant experience (we realize this will probably be very little)
-and most importantly, why you should be picked.

Currently, compensation is very little (a monthly stipend). But, we envision a market for our product very soon and you will be compensated accordingly.

We ask that participants be in the New York City area, or be willing to relocate.

Please forward all correspondence to stepon@yahoo.com

Thank you

Dolentrean
01-15-2006, 05:13 AM
on my hotmail the other day I got a message from a kind man who has come from the future and is trapped in time. what should I do?

Put him on a quantem excersize untill he can run at quantem speeds to get him back to his own time, duh!

nik0tine
01-15-2006, 05:27 AM
Traveling through time is impossible. Manipulating the rate in which times flows, maybe, but actual time travel is not possible.

Awesomeman
01-15-2006, 05:31 AM
No one can travel back in time or there would be some of them in our era.

eidt (edit: edit), and then there's this dude:

I'm hoping you didn't give this guy a reply. Who knows(I do) what he could be after.

Dolentrean
01-15-2006, 05:46 AM
Take a physics class! is like nik0tine said, time travle is imposable, but we can ajust the rate that time flows. The space time continum states that time exists within space, not space within time. Time is affected by your speed, as is your mass, techniquly people who fly jets age better than the rest of us, because they are traviling at a slower "time" as they are travaling at very high rates, even though the diffrence is almost non existant. This CAN be proven, they have taken two atomic clocks set to the same billionth of a seconed. They took one clock into a jet and flew with no particular speed for an extended period of time at a very high velocity, when they landed the clock that was in the jet was "slightly" behind the normal clock!

YTDN
01-15-2006, 09:32 AM
It's easy! To travel back in time, you need a wire coat hanger, a banana, yesterdays newpaper (the times) and a G-force generator.And then, using my kick-ass black hole genrator (tm) you can genrate a black hole,build yourself a pod, and go back in time. The newspaper determines how long ago you want to travel back in time. So if you want to go back to yesterday, get yesterdays newspaper. Ps, the ndewspape MUST be the [I]times[I] If you want to go somewhere before th times was created, hard luck.

PPS: I've never tried it. And the Kick-ass black hole genrator is still in production. All you need to do is to go forward in time to get it when its done.

PPS: I don't know how to go forward in time.

Christmas
01-15-2006, 09:39 AM
This thread remind me of the Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross.

Noj_R
01-15-2006, 10:08 AM
Time travel simply isnt possible...

Madame Adequate
01-15-2006, 10:44 AM
The best evidence suggests we can't travel back in time. I say 'best evidence' because science is retardedly fond of saying 'This is incontravertable fact' without knowing that it is.

I think the best evidence is in fact that there's nobody from the future messing things around. Although that argument does completely fail to take into account possible restrictions, both legal and quantum. But yeah, if there were time machines, you can bet I'd have come back top help myself out.

Sergeant Hartman
01-15-2006, 10:51 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40953000/jpg/_40953683_tardis203.jpg

Alive-Cat
01-15-2006, 12:04 PM
Well I don't know if anyone has said it yet, because I can't be bothered to read every single post, but if you go to space and stay there a while when you go back to Earth everyone you knew would have died of old age...

Shoden
01-15-2006, 12:17 PM
I haven't taken physics classes and I just know all this stuff of my own research.

Infinite mass requires infinite energy to move am I right?

Old Manus
01-15-2006, 01:14 PM
I don't know much on time travel, but I do know that it would be cool

Rye
01-15-2006, 01:57 PM
Napoleon Dynamite had a time machine. It didn't work. And he even put the crystals in. Gosh. :(

mooglebunni608
01-15-2006, 06:52 PM
if bill and ted can travel back to So-Crate's time in an old phone boothe, then time traev IS possible

Shoeberto
01-15-2006, 07:12 PM
By 2056, time travel will be realized, and in the past it will be difficult to tell if your best friend is not a rogue time traveler.

boris no no
01-15-2006, 07:21 PM
http://www.flexiety.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/250x/Quantum%20Leap%20-%20The%20Complete%20Se727_f_250.jpg

:D?

Captain Maxx Power
01-15-2006, 07:29 PM
If Time-Travelling into the Past is something that is going to be invented we can assume the following Either Or's:

- Events have already gone as they are but we just haven't yet detected them for one reason or another. Who's to say some people from the future don't already live among us and have influenced our history and we just don't know about it?
- Events have happened, but have created the "alternate timeline" scenario. It works something like this. Suppose you live in Timeline A, our timeline now. The moment you go back in time, you've effectively changed events, creating Timeline B. So when you return to the present it's not your original universe at all, but rather an alternate one. It would give explanation to the idea of the "Grandfather Paradox", in that even if you were to go back and kill your own Grandfather it would have occured in Timeline B. Since you are a product/resident of Timeline A the change wouldn't affect you. This raises the issue of if you changed events so that you didn't go back in time but were still alive. Upon returning you would've effectively cloned yourself.
- Time travelling to the past doesn't affect timespace at all, and your presence is essentially voided

Del Murder
01-15-2006, 10:33 PM
What has happened has already happened. So if you go back in time, the things you do would have already been realized in the present.

That being said, there is a possiblity of alternate dimensions exactly like our own. And when you 'time travel', you are really travelling into an earlier time in another dimension. In which case you could affect things, since your history happened in your home dimension and is not dependent on what you do or did in the other one. That way you <i>could</i> kill your grandfather, but it wouldn't be 'your' grandfather, just a double of him. Killing him would mean your self of that dimension would never exist. I probably didn't explain that very well.

Discord
01-15-2006, 10:40 PM
Doubt very much that it's possible going to the past. If it is, I hope that we will never find out how. Imagine the consequences.

ff7+ff10 gurl 100
01-15-2006, 10:42 PM
Ok acording to science you can not go back in time, but you can in a way move forward. Time is realative T=Ti/(gamma constant) if you travale at very high speeds, ie half the speed of light or higher, time moves slower REALATIVE to the earth. so if you move at .98 the speed of light for 5 years, 5 years will pass for you but closter to 40 (guess, im to lazy to do calulation) years will pass on earth.

Also if you travle at the speed of light (immposable) you will no longer age, and will be able to go to the furture, realise it is a one way trip, you cant come back.

My brain hurts :(

Discord
01-15-2006, 10:47 PM
My brain hurts :(

In basics, there's a theory, part of Albert Einsteins work: If you take two twins and send one of the on a journey at the speed of light, by the time he returns, the twin on the earth will be much older than the one from the spaceship.

http://www.einstein-online.info/en/spotlights/Twins/

Read it. It's the non-science fiction area of time travel.

EDIT: I think the topic was covered by the films like Planet of Apes(the old one) and some series of Star Trek. Most of those however, have been modified for the plot of the film.

EDIT2: I’m not a physicist; so don’t ask me on detail. Only studied it at a primary course.:)

Dolentrean
01-16-2006, 12:04 AM
What the person above me mentioned is called the twin paradox. ok, lets see... if you want to travle to a place 5.5 light years away at the speed of light then no time will pass for you, even though 5.5 years will pass to an observer on earth, same with the trip back.

So say there are two twins. one twin gose on the journy at the speed of light, according to the calculation, no time will pass for him on the 11 light year trip. but by the time he gets back, even though it had been a couple secondes to him, 11 years has passed on earth, his twin therefore, is much older.

this is all in what Grinenshire said, only in more detail, I was bored and felt like typing something.

Madame Adequate
01-16-2006, 02:25 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40953000/jpg/_40953683_tardis203.jpg

That, too.
Don't try and tell the TARDIS what it can't do.

ff7+ff10 gurl 100
01-16-2006, 02:41 AM
What the person above me mentioned is called the twin paradox. ok, lets see... if you want to travle to a place 5.5 light years away at the speed of light then no time will pass for you, even though 5.5 years will pass to an observer on earth, same with the trip back.

So say there are two twins. one twin gose on the journy at the speed of light, according to the calculation, no time will pass for him on the 11 light year trip. but by the time he gets back, even though it had been a couple secondes to him, 11 years has passed on earth, his twin therefore, is much older.

this is all in what Grinenshire said, only in more detail, I was bored and felt like typing something.

If someone goes in the speed of light wouldnt they die?
Just a question, Im not stupid or anything :D

Slade
01-16-2006, 02:59 AM
I'm pretty sure time travel is impossible. Well, going to the past is anyway. Look at it this way (if its possible, its very hard to wrap your head around): If you went back in time to stop your worst enemie's parents from meeting so that they didn't give birth to him/her, then the person wouldn't have been alive in the first place, so you have no reason to go back in time and thus you didn't.......hard to understand? Yep, it is for me too, but once you get it, it is pretty obvious.

As for the future, I think it is posible. Not by years but by seconds. If you go fast enough, like perhaps faster than the speed of light, then maybe you could skip time by a couple of seconds, or perhaps even less. But going into the future like, 3 years or something wouldn't be possible.

Anyway, thats my view on time travel anyhow. It makes sense to me :)

Dolentrean
01-16-2006, 03:33 AM
If someone goes in the speed of light wouldnt they die?
Just a question, Im not stupid or anything :D

No, it is imposable to travle at the speed of light so we dont have to worry about that. though we can get to speeds near the speed of light in therie only. but I ask you a far more importat question! What happens if your travaling at the speed of light and turn on your headlights?

fantasyjunkie
01-16-2006, 03:38 AM
Oh I would go back and get all those girls I missed out on the opportunity back in the day ;)

Dolentrean
01-16-2006, 04:01 AM
Oh I would go back and get all those girls I missed out on the opportunity back in the day ;)

That is the most logical thing I have heard yet in this thread.

Lindy
01-16-2006, 04:03 AM
I don't think it really matters.

What matters, is that time is a CUBE.

OblivionKing
01-16-2006, 04:25 AM
Me and my friend have already decided that it is not possible to actually go back in time. We have done our research and come up with a way to slow things done for us so that we age at roughly half the rate the rest of the world will. Of course we have a problem with getting into space and being able to go very very fast(I'm talking vroom here) is going to be kinda tough. But like it was stated earlier, you can come back from space after what would have been aonly a couple of years for you, and everyone else would probably be dead, depending on how old you are that is. Good luck to anyone who tries doing this, it might be kinda hard, but only a little.

Discord
01-16-2006, 04:18 PM
Me and my friend have already decided that it is not possible to actually go back in time. We have done our research and come up with a way to slow things done for us so that we age at roughly half the rate the rest of the world will. Of course we have a problem with getting into space and being able to go very very fast(I'm talking vroom here) is going to be kinda tough. But like it was stated earlier, you can come back from space after what would have been aonly a couple of years for you, and everyone else would probably be dead, depending on how old you are that is. Good luck to anyone who tries doing this, it might be kinda hard, but only a little.

Well, the best thing I can suggest you unless you did or are studying physics, is to get a couple of books on Elementary Physics(high school level), couple of books on Advanced Physics after you're finished with the ones before and then finally read the Theory of Relativity. Only after you've read about 10 books on those topics and spend... say, 4 years on it, will you be able to actually understand what Special Relativity is about. That's what you are looking for.:p

Shadow The Red XIII Thing
01-17-2006, 08:28 AM
There was a comic I used to read with a charachter who was called the good Samaritan
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samaritan_%28comics%29

NeoCracker
01-17-2006, 08:41 AM
No, it is imposable to travle at the speed of light so we dont have to worry about that. though we can get to speeds near the speed of light in therie only. but I ask you a far more importat question! What happens if your travaling at the speed of light and turn on your headlights?

You wouldn't see the light, for it couldn't leave the headlights as it couldn't catch up. Now a more important question, If the headlights are curved inward and are at eye level, would you blind yourself if you were traveling faster than the speed of light since you are going faster than the light?

Twisted Tinkerbell
01-17-2006, 11:49 AM
I don't believe time travel is possible. It it was wouldn't we get people coming from the futuer coming to tell us about some disaster and how to prevent it? Or wouldn't we be going back to stop them. Humans like to screw things up, it's in their nature.

Madame Adequate
01-17-2006, 12:16 PM
I don't believe time travel is possible. It it was wouldn't we get people coming from the futuer coming to tell us about some disaster and how to prevent it? Or wouldn't we be going back to stop them. Humans like to screw things up, it's in their nature.

That depends on the nature of time itself. It's possible that we won't see any effect until someone actually comes back in time. More easily understood, it's possible that it has happened and we've not noticed it (Because it's the natural continuation of our timeline, as we see it.) or it splits off into alternate timelines.

Shaun
01-17-2006, 12:33 PM
All people can do about time travel is speculate. In order to understand time travel, we have to ask ourselves about what life is. People have a tendency to believe that time is infinite, and that it IS theoretically possible to travel to a time in the past, or in the future - but in this world. I don't know how to word this, but it's very possible that there is no additional time to the time we experience, and time is always moving with us, so it's therefore impossible to travel back in time, or forwards in time.

And also keep in mind that by going back in time (not forwards), you'll essentially create a copy of yourself. And the old you, back in the time that you're travelling to, will probably do the same as what you did back then, so no, you probably won't be able to ask those girls out if you don't want to give them a heart attack.

Zante
01-17-2006, 03:26 PM
What happens if your travaling at the speed of light and turn on your headlights?

I heard a discusion on tv about this not long ago. The scientists there said that the light from the headlights would still travel at the speed of light, not double the speed of light or anithing like that.

Dolentrean
01-17-2006, 07:01 PM
I heard a discusion on tv about this not long ago. The scientists there said that the light from the headlights would still travel at the speed of light, not double the speed of light or anithing like that.

Correct as light cant be propeled forward, if you run and 2 MPH and throw a ball at 3 MPH the ball gose at 5 MPH but that is not how light works so it would only travle at the speed of light.

As for the blinding you questing, only momentaraly as the light is travaling still at the speed of light, not any slower, and as you are tavaling at the speed of light in the opposite direction you still see the light momentaraly.

What happens if you go at the speed of light and turn on your headlights? You die, if you are going at the speed of light in a veachle that has headlight, I am guessing you hit a tree a long time ago.

KentaRawr!
01-17-2006, 08:34 PM
It's easy. Just get the lunar whale, go to the moon, stay there for a while, and BAM. You gots yourself a ticket to the future! Go back to the earth, and time machines will be all the rage. Then go back into the past, and you find that you screwed yourself over, because upon going into the past, you changed the future and erased your own time. Thus making you come from no-where. You will have to live alongside your new twin as...

THE TIME BROTHERS!

Lindy
01-17-2006, 08:37 PM
You ran out of ideas halfway through, didn't you?

KentaRawr!
01-17-2006, 08:40 PM
You ran out of ideas halfway through, didn't you?

Yeah. :mad:

Lindy
01-17-2006, 08:48 PM
It's ok, you can just go back in time to change it by travelling at right angles to the current time line.

Rye
01-17-2006, 08:53 PM
I'm a loser so I wouldn't time travel. Plus, you know, you could screw up history and your life majorly.