PDA

View Full Version : Any hong kong film fans here?

Ishin Ookami
01-15-2006, 02:58 AM
In the AC thread I was speaking how Nomura was "Influenced" (IE: ripped off) certain hong kong films, such as a great deal of the cliche's used in John Woo's old stuff and wuxia such as Dragon Inn. So I was wondering if anyone here was into hong kong cinema like myself. Ive been a fan of Tsui Hark, Chow Yun Fat, Jet Li, Lar Kau Leung and Gordan liu for a long time, and have lately started to view Stephen Chow's old school films like God of Cookery and Fight Back to School.

So Like I said, I was wondering if there was anyone here who is as into the genre as myself.

DK
01-15-2006, 03:01 AM
Yeah, as far as I'm concerned Police Story is the greatest action film of all time, from any country in the world. I'm a big fan of Jackie Chan's HK films, as well as many of the others.

Markus. D
01-15-2006, 03:22 AM
So Close is one of my faveorites, just because I thought the movies Major twist was unique... even though they overused the glass breaking effect *shudders*.

Ummmm, bassically hollywood has no shizzle on Eastern Eye.

fantasyjunkie
01-15-2006, 08:47 AM
So Close was pretty good. Man, I love those Hong Kong flicks.

Ishin Ookami
01-15-2006, 12:47 PM
When it comes to pure action, aint noone has anything on Old school john Woo. I like police story as well, but damn after seeing Hard Boiled, A Better Tomarrow I & II, and The Killer, Its really hard to watch john woo's hollywood films. On lovehkfilm.com there is a reviewer always refers to john woo in the past tense, because he believes that since 1993 the real john woo was kidnapped and replaced by some sort of robot.

But for pure martial arts, I always wonder what the hell happened to the industry around the mid eighties, I take a look at jet li's best films in the ninties, wong fei hong, Fong sai Yuk, Even Tai Chi Master, then take a look at Martial Arts of Shaolin and there is a world of difference. Personally Martial arts of shaolin is my favorite Kung Fu film as some of the martial arts sequences in this film are just absoloutely SICK. I love yuen woo Ping and all, thing he's very entertaining, but even his best stuff just pales at most of the old school kung fu flicks.