PDA

View Full Version : The best game of this generation

Cz
01-15-2006, 07:32 PM
With the X-Box 360 released a couple of months ago, we're beginning to see the death of the current console generation. Some would argue that it hasn't been the greatest time for gaming, but we've seen some excellent titles released on every system nonetheless. Quality games are still being released of course, but as the next generation of hardware begins to take over we'll be seeing fewer and fewer games released for the current one, so now seems as good a time as any to ask: What was your favourite game of this generation?

My personal choice would have to be Metroid Prime. There can be no doubt that the 128-bit era was the era of the First-Person Shooter, and that in this particular genre the Gamecube was somewhat lacking in options, but whereas many of the shooters released on other consoles were generic and uninspired, Prime really stood out. Not only did Retro studios suceed in transforming the traditional Metroid experience, but they also managed to create an FPS like no other; an FPS where platforming sections were actually bearable, and offered a challenge beyond simply blasting hordes of enemies. You'd be a fool to own a Gamecube without a copy.

What's your opinion?

Fire_Emblem776
01-15-2006, 07:39 PM
yea metroid prime gets my vote for gamecube. And X for ps2 :)

Dreddz
01-15-2006, 09:41 PM
FFX or Ico ;)

Chris
01-15-2006, 09:55 PM
Pikmin was one incredible good and original game.

~SapphireStar~
01-15-2006, 10:02 PM
Harvest Moon for me. I enjoyed that series so much :D

Kawaii Ryűkishi
01-15-2006, 10:03 PM
I can't even decide on the single greatest game of the last year, much less the last generation. I'm much more apt towards the "game of the month" concept.

KentaRawr!
01-15-2006, 10:27 PM
Hard for me to decide. I don't really have all the "Big sellers" everyone is always talking about. I suppose, out of my collection, Metroid Prime for GC and Kingdom hearts. On the other hand, I really liked The Legend of Zelda: The wind waker. As well as The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures. This generation is still going to be alive to me, even when the next one comes. :p

Vermachtnis
01-16-2006, 12:10 AM
I wanna say Shadow Hearts: Covenant. It kind of killed the whole kickass graphics=badgame stereotype set up by alot of games. It even had good voice acting. It had a great story and characters. Yuri is the man. It did a great job of blending mythologies of the cultures of the land and threw some of the creepiest monsters ever seen. The monsters where creepier in the first one, but still there are some strange critters crawling around.

Germ Hamee
01-16-2006, 01:05 AM
Oh god, there's so many choices to sift through. I'm going to go with Silent Hill 2, which was an all around beautiful game as far as I'm concerned. It was the first game I've played with (I think) really great voice acting. Sure, it was stilted at times, but when you hear the full letter read... it hits. It still looks good visually, the story probably had the most depth in the whole series, nice soundtrack. Mmmhmm, goodness.

raskerino
01-16-2006, 02:08 AM
I've got to agree with Omni Legacy, the amazing feel in SH:C is so enjoyable.

I'd give honorable mentions to Shadow of the Colossus and FFX.

fantasyjunkie
01-16-2006, 03:28 AM
I would have to say GTA San Andreas or Animal Crossing. Both are so free roaming and addictive.

BatChao
01-16-2006, 04:17 AM
Resident Evil 4 for GCN, please.

Vyk
01-16-2006, 04:20 AM
I'd love to nominate a boat load of games. But I'll just stick with the one that insatiably kept my interest more than any other for over 40 hours (which is no small task this generation. Long games were a death sentence in my house). Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II - The Sith Lords. Best dialogue ever. Fully voiced by excellent actors. The music was perfect for every mood and atmospheric feel needed. And the plot was intriguingly wonderful and deep and usually pretty intense. The beginning was slow compared to the original. But it fit the mood, and once the story started up, it more than made up for it. I coulda lived in that game... I'd kill for a KOTOR 3 next generation. BioWare. Obsidian. I love you.

I Took the Red Pill
01-16-2006, 04:40 AM
GCN- Mario Kart Double Dash, Metroid Prime, Super Smash Bros. Melee
XBOX- Halo, Star Wars: KotOR I and II
PS2- Ico, FFX, Gran Turismo 4

Rase
01-16-2006, 09:06 AM
Well, I've given it plenty of thought and still can't decided between two games, so tied for best game for me are Metroid Prime and Super Smash Bros. Melee.

look_out_below
01-16-2006, 08:37 PM
For the PS2 i say the Ghost in the Shell game it was a challenging game and had excellent in game graphics.

Lost Number
01-16-2006, 08:43 PM
Ico. Or maybe FFVII.

raskerino
01-16-2006, 08:47 PM
Because as we all know there was a time warp that made FFVII created 2 years ago allowing it to be created this generation- which of course led to spontaneous production of such achievements as "The Cheese Weapons Revenge," "Advent Children" and "Dirge of the Toothbrush."

edczxcvbnm
01-16-2006, 09:00 PM
Let me list the best of the best this gen.

Half-Life 2
Resident Evil 4
Steel Battalion
Metroid Prime
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
Ico
Shadow of the Closass
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Burnout 3

Those are probably a group of games most people can agree upon. I think sequels to those games were getting old and didn't add much new to them or that they had some gameplay issues. Example. MGS3 didn't have a good camera system for the game. The overhead view didn't give you sight in front of you at all and it was a pretty big game where you moved forward a lot. MGS2 in contrast was a closed game with small rooms. The camera worked better for it.

Craig
01-16-2006, 09:02 PM
Super Smash Bros. Melee

xancithus
01-16-2006, 09:40 PM
Probably LoZ: The Wind Waker.... maybe Timesplitters 3 (cause it rocks and I love the series)

DMKA
01-16-2006, 10:09 PM
Probably Resident Evil 4.

Black Mage
01-16-2006, 10:10 PM
With my two most anticipated titles yet to be released, it is too early for me to judge.

I feel relatively confident in saying I will probably end up picking Valkyrie Profile: Silmeria or The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.

Yuffie514
01-17-2006, 01:26 AM
i can't place Tenchu: Wrath of Heaven alone for the [PS-2] money shot. Final Fantasy X was no short of a breakthrough.

GooeyToast
01-18-2006, 01:04 AM
Final Fantasy X
Ico
LoZ WW
GTA III
God of War
Resident Evil 4
Kingdom Hearts

There's still a lot of great games left to come out in this generation, so I wouldn't be suprised if this list changes come next year.

Slothy
01-18-2006, 02:47 AM
There are only a few choices I could possibly have for game of this generation (even though this generation is far from headed for the old age home just yet):
MGS3, Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, HL2 and GT4.

MGS3 for simply being one of the most exhilerating video game experiences ever. Great gameplay, graphics, story, characters; everything was just about perfect.

Ico and Shadow of the Colossus for providing some of the greatest game world's ever, most original gameplay ideas, and being just plain wonderful and awe inspiring experiences in every possible way.

HL2 for providing the most adrenaline pumping FPS experience ever, and finally adding some true innovation to the genre. Not to mention the sheer level of polish in all areas, perfect pacing, and perhaps the most immersive game world created thus far.

And GT4 for providing a slightly improved driving engine over GT3, mind blowing car list, and providing a driving experience so wonderfully immersive, and realistic that I almost feel like I'm going 300 km/h down the straights.

Those are my pics and my fairly vague description of why I pick them. It's tough to put into words just how much I loved these games, and what made me love them. So let me just say that these are the games that truly felt perfect to me. Whether there were actually small flaws in them or not, these are the games that had my jaw on the floor and loving every second, and going back for more as soon as it was all over.