PDA

View Full Version : SCIENM Challenge

crashNUMBERS
01-16-2006, 05:04 AM
Solo Character Initial Equipment No Materia

K so I'm attempting this challenge. I'm doing pretty good right now. Here are my current stats...

Take note that I started journaling this challenge at the fight of Scorpion Tail

I defeated Scorpion Tail at level 7. Hp was, at the end of the battle, 124/ 316. I used my limits about 3 if not 2 times. I leveled up from the EXP. gained from this battle and my Hp total was 325. I found this match at a medium difficulty level. It was a little boring in fact to use all of my potions but one, if I re-call, and attacking. But after this, the whole challenge started to get more fun involved for some reason. Then when I got to the Train Graveyard I leveled up until I was level 10 with Cloud. Of course I wasted the other two's (Barret and Tifa) turns killing themsleves as it is a SOLO challenge. Then when I got to the Winding Tunnel (In your second mission) I earned my Cross Slash ability. I found this way too early but I accomplished something. That's always good. At the moment I'm about 20 minutes away from Air Buster and I can't wait to use Cross Slash on him. Good day

boys from the dwarf
01-16-2006, 07:28 AM
good luck. i think this challenge is just about possible to complete so good luck.

d£v!l'$ ph0£n!x
01-16-2006, 12:27 PM
i think you're crazy, just think about this for a moment. when killing sephiroth, u will be using buster sword (= minimum damage) and even if u r at level 99, u won't have been able to use morph to get the stat sources. i wish you all the best of luck, i really do, but personally i think this cannot be done

Christmas
01-16-2006, 12:34 PM
Someone wrote a FAQ on it at Gamefaqs.com. Oh ya, they doesn't even have accessories too.

Brian The Pink Shark
01-16-2006, 12:47 PM
id love to attept this challenge but i no longer own disc 1 ;_; anyway good luck, i know you can do it :choc:

Red Squall
01-16-2006, 01:30 PM
i think the 1st half maybe easy, but your going to run into alot of troubles beating sephiroth, but good luck it sounds intresting might even try it myself if i find the time

Shin Gouken
01-16-2006, 01:58 PM
i think you're crazy, just think about this for a moment. when killing sephiroth, u will be using buster sword (= minimum damage) and even if u r at level 99, u won't have been able to use morph to get the stat sources. i wish you all the best of luck, i really do, but personally i think this cannot be done

pffft he wouldn't attack sephy with the buster sword :lol: He'd use items surely. Gravity magic might work against him :greenie: failing that, he'd stock up on items that cast mbarrier and barrier, plus level three elemental magic. I think the sephiroth battle would be a low difficulty battle

Brian The Pink Shark
01-16-2006, 02:07 PM
he's still allowed to use items that do magic attacks, those could be useful against sephy, also sttacks like omnislash will do amazing amounts of damage. :choc:

Shin Gouken
01-16-2006, 02:21 PM
he's still allowed to use items that do magic attacks, those could be useful against sephy, also sttacks like omnislash will do amazing amounts of damage. :choc:

he wont get omnislash im sure. if he goes into the battle arena without any materia or items then a) he will het his arse kicked and b) he wont earn battle points for breaking his materia because he has none

raskerino
01-16-2006, 02:24 PM
pffft he wouldn't attack sephy with the buster sword :lol: He'd use items surely. Gravity magic might work against him :greenie: failing that, he'd stock up on items that cast mbarrier and barrier, plus level three elemental magic. I think the sephiroth battle would be a low difficulty battle

Nope, that's the right way to fight but it's not an easy fight. Doing 1500 a turn without a ribbon against supernove's not easy, it's pretty challenging (I say this not having done the challenge but having thought about it, looked at faqs and looked at the mechanics of fights I thought would be tough).

Good luck with the challenge and keep us informed.

Christmas
01-16-2006, 02:25 PM
he wont get omnislash im sure. if he goes into the battle arena without any materia or items then a) he will het his arse kicked and b) he wont earn battle points for breaking his materia because he has none

Getting Omnislash

First, you need to level up, a lot. To stand a chance, you need to be
at Lv70, at least. Before you go into the Battle Square, get 99 of
each-Hi-Potion, X-Potion, Hyper, Remedy, each of the individual status
cures (antidote, cornucopia, ect.) note that echo screens are
pointless, S-mines, Fire Veils, and Swift Bolts. Also try to have
plenty (10-20) Dragon Scales and M-Tentacles. These are extremely
important as D.Scales basically cast Aqualung, which is brutally
powerful against anything (Adamantiose, found on the beaches north of
Wutai drop these), and M-Tentacles (and possibly Deadly Wastes) cause
instant death to some of the more annoying foes you'll be up against.

What you want to do is set Cid's limit to level 1 and use him. At
Lv70 Cid OWNS the Battle Arena. Try to use Cid's brute strength and
limits instead of items, and try to land the slots on what are usually
the most debilitating handicaps (broken acc., broken materias...)
Break your weapon or armor and you're pretty much done.

Once Cid wins two complete sets (all 8 rounds), you should have about
23,000 Battle points, if you scored good handicaps (Break All Materia
on the last round will make BP skyrocket).

At this point (23,000 BP), the game starts to be really cheap with
its enemy choices. Switch to Cloud, using his L3 limit and abuse
Finishing Touch. Fight as long as you can and always, ALWAYS, duck
out after the 7th roud (if you get that far). NEVER fight the last
battle, you'll end up agaist a Marlboro, Ochu, or that damned
Ghost Ship... All 3 of these guys will eat you for lunch and
you'll forfiet all your BP for that round, as well as any items you
used. You'll be bringing down 2-4 thousand BP for each 7 round stint
(usually), and you'll gradually get to 32,000.

Is it worth it? Omnislash nails any group or single enemy 15 or 16
times with a high critical rate and deals over 2000 damage per shot at
Lv70. Thats 30,000 HP from a single target, plenty enough to
slaughter Hojo in a single shot. So, I'd say, yeah, yeah it is.

Notable enemies: The 8-Eyes (they look like Jell-o molds with
eyeballs all over them) can absorb several hundred, or even thousand,
HP from your charcter per turn, and they appear in sets of 2. But
they are ridiculously weak to Bio; toss a M-Tentacle at them and they
go bye bye.

Jezemny (long haired girl in a one-piece) There's two versions of
her; one appears with a group of Toxic Frogs and one with Wind Wing
(a dragon type, looks like a miniature version of the Rapps boss).
She can use Fascinate (confuse) on your guy, which is potentially
fatal, especially when she pulls it every round. Luckily, she, too,
is weak to Bio. (Note that Toxic Frogs ABSORB Bio, but they only take
1 hit to wipe out. Deal with the tramp first).

Tonberry. Rare, but will most certainly end you.

Ghost Ship. Everybody hates this cheap bastard. For some reason,
though, I came up against him in my first battle set with Cid, and it
never used Gonnani against me.

Serpent. My favorite. Simply fall back and defend until the idiot
uses its stock of MP (this takes a while though). Use limits when
you get them, and keep healing. Once its MP are gone, it just
floats there and you can pound it at your leisure.

Brian The Pink Shark
01-16-2006, 02:40 PM
it's easier to get omnislash without materia anyway, you get a lot more points for breaking materia at the slots and without materia this wont hurt much :choc:

Neco Arc
01-16-2006, 02:51 PM
getting a broken weapon and no item would be a big No No though...

Brian The Pink Shark
01-16-2006, 03:04 PM
yeah that would suck quite a bit :choc:

crashNUMBERS
01-16-2006, 03:39 PM
Yeah, I'll prolly be level 99 when I get to sephy. And I'll try. And take an attempt after Ultima Shadow's steps on trying to beat Ruby Weapon this way. Thanks for the moral support...

Ultima Shadow
01-16-2006, 04:25 PM
I think the sephiroth battle would be a low difficulty battleThink again. I've done this challange and little Mr. Sephy is a lot tougher than you would imagine. I think there's only 1 kind of item in the entire game that can do more than 2000 dammage to Sephy.

Yeah, I'll prolly be level 99 when I get to sephy. And I'll try. And take an attempt after Ultima Shadow's steps on trying to beat Ruby Weapon this way. Thanks for the moral support...Crash, I've beaten Ruby without materia. NOT in a SCIENM challange. If you only where allowed to use the weakest equipment... then, not only would you die in a matter of seconds, but it would also take about 12,000,000 hours to beat Ruby with such weak weapons and items, considering Ruby got a pretty darn strong defense. You're lucky if you're able to hit her for more than 1 dammage with a normal attack. You would run out of items long before the battle would be over and limmitbreaks wouldn't be much more effective either. Omnislash hits 20 times, right? Then, that's about 20 dammage! OMG! :p

Anyways... good luck, crash! :cool:

Shin Gouken
01-16-2006, 05:02 PM
Think again. I've done this challange and little Mr. Sephy is a lot tougher than you would imagine. I think there's only 1 kind of item in the entire game that can do more than 2000 dammage to Sephy.

Hmmm but the preperation for the battle would be the hard part. With Barrier and Mbarrier, his attacks won't hurt too badly. You would have to find a lot of elixers/x-potions. With the apropriate protection and enough healing items sephiroth won't be able to kill you. So even if you only manage 500HP every few turns, you can't die, so it would be a long battle, not a difficult one.

This is only my thoughts though and i havn't attempted it so i'm probabley wrong, but iv'e never considered sephiroth to ba a hard boss :greenie:

Ultima Shadow
01-16-2006, 07:00 PM
Hmmm but the preperation for the battle would be the hard part. With Barrier and Mbarrier, his attacks won't hurt too badly. You would have to find a lot of elixers/x-potions. With the apropriate protection and enough healing items sephiroth won't be able to kill you. So even if you only manage 500HP every few turns, you can't die, so it would be a long battle, not a difficult one.

This is only my thoughts though and i havn't attempted it so i'm probabley wrong, but iv'e never considered sephiroth to ba a hard boss :greenie:No, that's not the hard part. THAT'S the time consuming part. Without equipment and materia, there's not much to "prepare" except leveling up and getting a load of items. Correction: with Barrier and MBarrier you won't be 2-hit KOed... as long as he don't use his most powerful attacks. Then there's still a chanse that you'll get 2-hit KOed. Now, I was on level 70 when I fought Sephy this way. I just can't stand spending hours of unnecessary leveling... so... if you're at level 100, then Sephy might be a pushover or, atleast, much easier. But on level 70, he's really, really tough. And, by the way... I'm talking about the second form, not the final form. The second form was much tougher... atleast for me. :greenie:

Shin Gouken
01-16-2006, 07:15 PM
No, that's not the hard part. THAT'S the time consuming part. Without equipment and materia, there's not much to "prepare" except leveling up and getting a load of items. Correction: with Barrier and MBarrier you won't be 2-hit KOed... as long as he don't use his most powerful attacks. Then there's still a chanse that you'll get 2-hit KOed. Now, I was on level 70 when I fought Sephy this way. I just can't stand spending hours of unnecessary leveling... so... if you're at level 100, then Sephy might be a pushover or, atleast, much easier. But on level 70, he's really, really tough. And, by the way... I'm talking about the second form, not the final form. The second form was much tougher... atleast for me. :greenie:

If you use a speed drink and give yourself haste, will sephiroth still have two turns? Surely you would match his speed?

Ultima Shadow
01-16-2006, 08:15 PM
I don't know, since the only way I know of to get speed drinks is by stealing them... and since you can't use the steal materia, you can't even get speed drinks at all.

raskerino
01-16-2006, 08:20 PM
On the subject of challenges, Ultima Shadow when are you going to start the Xenosaga challenge you've mentioned?

And I have a question for Chaos (as well as anyone else who's completed this) in a walkthrough for this I looked at it allowed you to use accessories, are you going to/ have you?

Ultima Shadow
01-16-2006, 08:26 PM
Pretty soon. I got Dot Hack Inffection from a friend a while ago, but I've almost completed it. And once I've completed it, I'll probably start the Xenosaga challange.

As for the other question... nope, I didn't use accessories.

Shin Gouken
01-16-2006, 08:41 PM
I don't know, since the only way I know of to get speed drinks is by stealing them... and since you can't use the steal materia, you can't even get speed drinks at all.

That sucks :mad: no sprint shoes, no haste spells and no speed drinks :eep: ghey

Emerald weapon
01-16-2006, 09:25 PM
A must say you r 1 in a million lol what youre doing is truly something else i wish you the best of luck:D :D :D keep us posted on youre progress

crashNUMBERS
01-16-2006, 11:37 PM
And I have a question for Chaos (as well as anyone else who's completed this) in a walkthrough for this I looked at it allowed you to use accessories, are you going to/ have you?
No. That's part of equipment. I'm not gonna skin my way with butter to make it easier. And I'll update later...

Ultima Shadow
01-18-2006, 05:44 PM
Game over. :eep:

?????
01-19-2006, 05:12 AM
I'm doing a piss-easy challenge, beating the Weapons without spells of any kind. I'm saving it right before I fight them so I can do several different types of Weapon challenges on the same file, in progressively more difficult order. I'm going to use the 7777 trick on Emerald, because it's cheap and effective. I'll probably need it for Ruby, too. From what I gather, beating them without materia will require 99 Megalixirs.

Shin Gouken
01-19-2006, 08:39 AM
I'm doing a piss-easy challenge, beating the Weapons without spells of any kind. I'm saving it right before I fight them so I can do several different types of Weapon challenges on the same file, in progressively more difficult order. I'm going to use the 7777 trick on Emerald, because it's cheap and effective. I'll probably need it for Ruby, too. From what I gather, beating them without materia will require 99 Megalixirs.

i beat emerald without materia. I threw 99 t/s bombs at him which was alot slower than lucky7's. you wont need 99 megalixers. possibley about 50 should do it :greenie: