PDA

View Full Version : whats a dirge?

sub zero
01-16-2006, 02:03 PM
what is a "Dirge" and why would it be with Cerberus in a name for a game.

btw i know that cerberus is the name of vincents gun in the game same as the one you see in the bahamut fight on ff7 advent children

Dragon Ash
01-16-2006, 02:21 PM
A dirge is a sad song, like a funeral song and Cerberus is the three headed dog who guards the gate to Hades in ancient mythology.

Liebe
01-16-2006, 02:22 PM
The history of the word dirge illustrates how a word with neutral connotations, such as direct, can become emotionally charged because of a specialized use. The Latin word drige is a form of the verb drigere, “to direct, guide,” that is used in uttering commands. In the Office of the Dead drige is the first word in the opening of the antiphon for the first nocturn of Matins: “Dirige, Domine, Deus meus, in conspectu tuo viam meam,” “Direct, O Lord, my God, my way in thy sight.” The part of the Office of the Dead that begins with this antiphon was named Drige in Ecclesiastical Latin. This word with this meaning was borrowed into English as dirige, first recorded in a work possibly written before 1200. Dirige was then extended to refer to the chanting or reading of the Office of the Dead as part of a funeral or memorial service. In Middle English the word was shortened to dirge, although it was pronounced as two syllables. After the Middle Ages the word took on its more general senses of “a funeral hymn or lament” and “a mournful poem or musical composition,” and developed its one-syllable pronunciation.

or that's what dictionary.com tells me anyways. other than that i have nooo idea.

sub zero
01-16-2006, 02:32 PM
thanks but it dosent realy explain. Why the 2 are in the same sentance and why they are used as the sub title for this FF.

Dragon Ash
01-16-2006, 02:38 PM
Not having read up much on DoC yet; i'm gonna take a wild stab in the dark.

Ok... Cerberus is a creature of the underworld, as is Vincent. Vincent's story is a sad one and therefore if he got drunk and started singing his tale in the local inn it would be a lament or a dirge.

...Um... I'm gonna go sit in the corner now.

Fatal Impurity
01-16-2006, 03:21 PM
a dirge is basically a sad funeral song or lament like they have already said but cerberus is vincents gun so basically it is in effect "the lament of vincents gun" maybe posssibly the story is told from the guns point of view???

kikimm
01-16-2006, 11:09 PM
Not having read up much on DoC yet; i'm gonna take a wild stab in the dark.

Ok... Cerberus is a creature of the underworld, as is Vincent. Vincent's story is a sad one and therefore if he got drunk and started singing his tale in the local inn it would be a lament or a dirge.

It was great up until "therefore" ;P

So yeah, a combination of what this dude and omegaweapon2005 said sounds good to me. It is going to be an FPS, isn't it? Makes sense, if you want to take it real literally like that.

~SapphireStar~
01-16-2006, 11:10 PM
That actually does make a lot of sense. Its a good question to bring up sub zero. I was thinking about this title sometime ago, but thought nothing more about it. Just shows when you ask :D

?????
01-17-2006, 12:33 AM
The game is supposed to be a shooter. A dirge is a funeral hymn or lament, and Cerberus is the name of Vincent's gun. A dirge "played" by Cerberus would be a gunshot. Therefore, the name of the game is effectively Final Fantasy VII: Gunshot. Though I've always preferred Final Fantasy VII: BOOM! HEAD SHOT!

rubah
01-17-2006, 01:18 AM
For some reason, I keep thinking that 'Dirge' means something like 'bane'

mooglebunni608
01-17-2006, 04:47 AM

i just died laughing here.....

Maybe a dirge is like a purge......

Dragon Ash
01-17-2006, 09:43 AM
It was great up until "therefore" ;P
Yeah, I kinda lost the plot a bit. Might be down to lack of sleep, too much studying and people calling me a dude. :p

Fatal Impurity
01-17-2006, 10:24 AM
me too dude BOOYAH!

nirojan
01-19-2006, 12:33 AM
yall are on the right track buht i think you messed up at a certain point.
Dirge is a sad song buht cerberus could be a creature from the underworld.
So i think that it's a sad story/song bout a creature from the underworld (tha'd be Vicent)

kikimm
01-21-2006, 08:43 PM
Yeah, I kinda lost the plot a bit. Might be down to lack of sleep, too much studying and people calling me a dude. :p

Nah, I call everyone dude, DUDE. ;D

I'd talk more about analyzing the title but like...it's already been done, and there isn't much left to discuss.