PDA

View Full Version : American FF12!!! help

lady yunalesca
01-16-2006, 09:02 PM
This may seem like a daft question to most of you but i need to know if i could play the american release of ff12 on my playstation (uk purchased)???? is this a stupid question?????
:tongue:

My name is...something..?
01-16-2006, 09:35 PM
It's not even out yet.
But I'm pretty sure you couldn't.

lady yunalesca
01-16-2006, 10:28 PM
It's not even out yet.
But I'm pretty sure you couldn't.

yeah i know but it will be released before the euro version so i am just trying to cut corners!!!! has anyone actually tried a us version of a game on a euro ps??????:choc2:

Aurombadom
01-17-2006, 12:48 AM
you cant do that since the uk playstation is on PAL system, you could however "chip" your playstation to make it play all formats at a local dealer.

Ouch!
01-17-2006, 01:51 AM
Chips are mighty expensive the last time I checked, though.

Red Squall
01-17-2006, 09:13 AM
you can only play it if you get your ps2 chipped, but there are rumours that this can damage your ps2, however im not sure if this is true or not.

Fatal Impurity
01-17-2006, 10:31 AM
you can only play it if you get your ps2 chipped, but there are rumours that this can damage your ps2, however im not sure if this is true or not.

it is ture but it is a risk you take if you wanna play either the cheaper fake games or the brand spanking new foreign games (which may never come out in your territory) but you should be ok if the chip fitter is experienced enough!

lady yunalesca
01-17-2006, 06:20 PM
thats always an option, but risky!!!! how expensive is expensive??? bearing in mind that i am saving for ps3???? (anyone know that release date by the way???)

Ouch!
01-17-2006, 07:22 PM
My friend said something like 170 Australian Dollars; you mentioned a UK purchase so conversion goodness: that's about 72 pounds.

Rostum
01-18-2006, 08:18 AM
My friend said something like 170 Australian Dollars; you mentioned a UK purchase so conversion goodness: that's about 72 pounds.

Ah, I think you can get them a lot cheaper now.

Also, isn't PS3 meant to be regional encoding free?

Vyk
01-18-2006, 05:27 PM
Just be patient o_O If you want to import games, work towards something that won't eventually be released in Europe :P

nik0tine
01-18-2006, 10:58 PM
I'm fairly certain you can buy an adapter of some sort.

sam_justice
01-19-2006, 09:30 AM
My PS2's been chipped since the chips for ps2 were first released, I've never had a problem with my PS2 (and I bought mine day of release) exempt of course from the basic problems all the machines experience. The only reason I got my ps2 chipped was for SNES Station, the chance to play SNES games on the PS2 without actually having to buy a SNES and it was worth it just for that piece of software alone.

lady yunalesca
01-19-2006, 07:55 PM
Just be patient o_O If you want to import games, work towards something that won't eventually be released in Europe :P

patience may be a virtue but not when waiting for a ff game!!!! :)

we have a very long wait (for perfection i know) but still a very long wait...and i am starting to get a little tetchy!!!! :):) its a bit like being very high on caffene

Fatal Impurity
01-19-2006, 09:19 PM
ff is ALWAYS worth it! it is *simply the best*!

DJZen
01-19-2006, 11:08 PM
The problem is in the video format. American games are NTSC format, UK games are PAL format. This means even if you did mod your PS2, the game wouldn't look quite right.

Mirage
01-20-2006, 12:52 PM
Most new TVs can handle both display formats.

a nirvana fan
01-20-2006, 08:35 PM
Probably(well 99.9%) you can't play it on UK ps2 no

Mirage
01-20-2006, 09:13 PM
No, nirvana fan. It's a definite no. You can absolutely not play it on an european PS2 without a mod chip.

yunafan11
01-22-2006, 01:57 AM
stupid question, whats the difference between european ps2 and a usa ps2... lol. I am really serious whats the dif?

Mirage
01-22-2006, 10:37 AM
They've got regional encodings, just like DVD movies. Sony uses "different TV formats" as an excuse to not make their consoles without regional encodings, but we all know it's because they want to control which games the different parts of the world gets to play.

And even though there's a little bit of truth in the "different TV formats" thing, most new TVs can handle both, and people who import are likely to know whether or not their TV supports other TV formats. The PS2 is fully capable of outputting more than one format, there's just a software limitation put in.

starseeker
01-22-2006, 06:19 PM
I dunno, American TVs use 525 lines and 60 frames a second, European TVs use 625 lines and 50 frames a second. That causes problems for broadcasts so it probably causes problems for games too.

Mirage
01-23-2006, 02:57 PM
I don't like repeating myself, most new TVs can interpret both types of signals. Unless it's a 14" TV that cost less than $50.

Moshenokoji
01-26-2006, 06:31 PM
Actually, you don't have to have a mod chip to play backed up games. I use HD Advance 3.0 for my PS2 and i've downloaded a few games off the internet and they work with the program. I've never seen the Euro PS2 so I don't know if it has the propper HDD bay and Network adapter but i'm pretty sure it does since the instructions for HDD Advacne said that the software didn't work with the first 2 or 3 Japanese PS2s cause the had a PCMCIA slot in the back isntead of a HDD bay. It's worth looking up if you want to play the game early. You could aways see if there is a Torrent for the US Version when it comes out or even the Japanese. I'm going to download the Japanese one to see if it works with the software, i do plan on buying the game.

If you're interested in HD Advance go here. http://www.hdadvance.com/index.htm

Good luck.