PDA

View Full Version : Beginner tips

Bendak
01-17-2006, 12:34 AM
Hey I just borrowed FFT from my bro today. I tried this game twice already a couple of years back, but it was pretty hard and to be honest, I wasnt that good at Tactic type games back then, I was only 10 0r 11. I dont remember where I got up to, I think it was fighting some girl leading a thief group like 2 or 3 hours into the game. Anyway, do you guys have any tips for someone just starting the game?

Tempest
01-17-2006, 12:51 AM
The first thing you should do is learn Gained JP UP with everyone. Squires learn that ability. Then switch to a better class like Knight or Wizard. You will get more JP with Gained JP UP set. Make sure classes like wizards and priests have a high Faith so their spells are more effective. And spend some time leveling up. That's all I can think of at the moment.

raskerino
01-17-2006, 01:02 AM
If you use the squire ability accumulate when enemies are far away you gain experience and JP very easily- this combined with JP up gives you lots of JP and makes you very strong (attack+1xhow many times you use it) by the time you reach the opponent. It's useful to keep squire as a secondary class for this reason early in the game. With Ramza I'd recommend yell over accumulate, and scream once you get it. I find Monk's to be a very useful class for a while.

FinalCetra
01-17-2006, 01:05 AM
I definatly agree with her, even at high levels, Gained JP Up is a must have! Also, I know where you mayu be at, there are lots of male thieves, right? Ig I were you, I would recruit some men so they can't be charmed. Level up with them, perhaps make a priest with life, cure, protect, and shell at the very least, or a chemist. As I said, in that battle, you want men, because the male thieves will charm your females. I had all my females in my party charmed the first time I tired that fight, and was slain because of it.

MogThief
01-17-2006, 07:49 PM
1) Have every unit that is going to use Item learn Potion, Hi-Potion, X-Potion, Ether, Hi-Ether, Antidote, Eye Drop, Echo Grass, Soft, and Phoenix Down.

2) Have your high faith units use Black Magic as their secondary ability. Magic is one of the keys to winning those early battles.
3) If one of your units is charging for a spell, cover that unit by moving right in front of him or her.

4) Try to gang up on the enemy instead of having each unit attack their own individual enemy. This way, your team doesn't get separated during battle.

5) When equipped with a shield, do your best to not let the enemy attack you from the back.

6) Attack the enemy from the side or back, not at the front of their face.

7) Look at the AT list often to plan a strategy and set traps.

I have more tips, but I have to get going now. Sorry.

Angel of Death
01-17-2006, 11:21 PM
One thing to remember is each class has what is called 'Class Evasion'. This Evasion applies ONLY to attacks to the front of the character. Something to keep in mind. As the guy mentioned above, it's a good idea to make sure an enemy cannot attack a units back if it is equipped with a shield. The shield covers the sides and front, but not the back. If you want evasion from all sides you'll have to get a mantle of some sort. Coupled with Abandon a Feather Mantle grants 80% Physical Attack Evasion and 60% Magic Attack Evasion. Something to keep in mind.

Bendak
01-18-2006, 12:09 AM
Hey Thanks so far all these tips are good. Plus im doing a lot better because I beat FFTA so I have a better understand of this system too cuz its similar. I think FFTA was more easy to learn so now its helping me on this one. But all my units have low brave or faith, in the mid 50's through low 60's. Should I get rid of them in the future to get new people? But then wont I have to put all the work into the new people too?

Tempest
01-18-2006, 04:30 PM
If you have a Mediator you can raise the units with low faith, permanetly, with the ability Preach or have an Oracle learn Pray Faith and use it on the magic user to have max faith for a little bit in a battle. If you want to raise a units brave have the Mediator learn Praise or Ramza's Cheer-Up and that raises the brave permanetly.

JFA_bobguy
01-18-2006, 07:56 PM
I suggest starting out with five squires. Why? This way you can learn squire abilities faster. (Ever notice that if you, say, have a chemist, your non-chemist people seem to gain chemist job points?) And use Item as your secondary command, everyone should start with the Potion ability. Master the Squire class as fast as you can. Throw Stone is an ability you'll need early on. Sure, it's weak, but it allow you to attack form a distance and avoid the counterattacks of early monsters.

Then learn Gained JP up ASAP, and Accumulate. And Move+1. The added range of your characters will give you more options in the battlefield (don't hesitate to get Battle Boots either).Counter Tackle sounds nice as it's your first potential counterattack, but it can wait.

Then take someone with high Faith and make them a Wizard, not a Priest. Early on they will tear people up. People with high Brave ratings should serve as the physical classes, like Knights, Monks, maybe Archers/Thieves (the non-magic classes). If you have a retarded troop who has low ratings in both fields, just make him a Chemist and let him be the healer. Once you master Squire class the game becomes a breeze. But make sure you get to level 8 (max) Squire with everyone, because you can actually master Squire class at level 7.

MogThief
01-19-2006, 04:19 PM
But all my units have low brave or faith, in the mid 50's through low 60's. Should I get rid of them in the future to get new people?

If you don't want to put work into raising their bravery and faith points, then go ahead. I recommend raising the bravery to 97 for your monks, samurai, and knights and raising the faith to 84 for your magicians.

But then wont I have to put all the work into the new people too?

You're going to have to put work into the new soldiers, because they always start at level one and as a squire.

I have more tips for you, and I edited the first tip in my last post.

1) Create a backup file. Just in case something goes wrong, you'll have a spare file to work with.

2) Check the shops often to upgrade your units' equipment.

3) Do job propositions at the bars as soon as they are available. It's an easy way to earn more gil and job points.

4) Learn Maintenance for all of your units.

5) If you want better team defense, learn Defense UP, Magic Defense UP, Weapon Guard(you need a weapon for this to be effective), or equip shields and mantles.