PDA

View Full Version : SoR ending. (Contains MAJOR) spoilers

DarkLadyNyara
01-17-2006, 03:09 AM
So, what was the deal with the whole "Light Half/ Dark Half" thing? What is the reason that they all fight the light side of the Emperor? I mean, he wasn't trying to kill them at that point. In fact, he asks their forgiveness. And if he really was evil, why was there a split in the first place??.The game never explains why they had to kill him. In fact, none of SoR was explained to my satisfaction. Any answers? :confused: :confused:

Captain Maxx Power
01-17-2006, 09:26 PM
Let me try and explain as I understood it (and from just watching the pre-fight dialogue again).

When the Emperor died, he split into two halves. His "Light" side went to Arubboth (the opposite of Pandemonium) and his "Dark" side went to Pandemonium. From what I can tell his Light side didn't gain any powers, and somehow needed the others to forgive him and allow them eternal life in paradise. Obviously from the cut-scene the original warriors were still fighting but not winning. So I guess that both sides had to be defeated for the Emperor to be killed properly, and that the "Light" side was just rusing the others in an attempt to carry on his master plan. Or something like that. Come to think of it it's never really explained at all.

DJZen
01-17-2006, 10:31 PM
Yeah but it's still pretty cool.

Crossblades
01-18-2006, 02:51 PM
Let me try and explain as I understood it (and from just watching the pre-fight dialogue again).

When the Emperor died, he split into two halves. His "Light" side went to Arubboth (the opposite of Pandemonium) and his "Dark" side went to Pandemonium. From what I can tell his Light side didn't gain any powers, and somehow needed the others to forgive him and allow them eternal life in paradise. Obviously from the cut-scene the original warriors were still fighting but not winning. So I guess that both sides had to be defeated for the Emperor to be killed properly, and that the "Light" side was just rusing the others in an attempt to carry on his master plan. Or something like that. Come to think of it it's never really explained at all.

Yeah, that's the way I see it also

Sefie1999AD
01-18-2006, 03:02 PM
So, what was the deal with the whole "Light Half/ Dark Half" thing? What is the reason that they all fight the light side of the Emperor? I mean, he wasn't trying to kill them at that point. In fact, he asks their forgiveness. And if he really was evil, why was there a split in the first place??.The game never explains why they had to kill him. In fact, none of SoR was explained to my satisfaction. Any answers? :confused: :confused:

I wasn't satisfied with the explanations given in SoR, either, especially when during the ending, Minwu says he hopes that Frioniel and others can end the chain of violence (or something like that). Well, Minwu and others sure didn't help at that by resorting to violence to kill the Light Emperor who only wanted to be forgiven!

The explanations given here were okay, but I'm still not too convinced about SoR and the Light Emperor's story.

Duncan
01-18-2006, 03:47 PM
SoR?

Crossblades
01-18-2006, 04:48 PM
SoR?

Soul of Rebirth. The optional quest you play after you beat FF II

Duncan
01-18-2006, 07:03 PM
Ah, ok this must be a DoS thing then.

DJZen
01-19-2006, 12:09 AM
Here's an interesting thought... Why do we assume that the "light half" is good just because he says he is?

DarkLadyNyara
01-19-2006, 04:52 PM
Here's an interesting thought... Why do we assume that the "light half" is good just because he says he is?

Well, then, why the split? Of course, Light in this case is something of a relative concept... But still, the game didn't explain it very well.

abrojtm
01-19-2006, 09:27 PM
I was under the impression that the Light Emperor was no better than the Dark Emperor. Both of them had to be defeated simultaneously in order to truly rid the world of the Emperor.

DJZen
02-13-2006, 02:16 AM
There's another sort of philosophical tangent that most people probably aren't going to like, but it's an interesting thought at least.

Good and Evil are not absolutes, they are abstract inventions of the human mind devised to explain and simplify. It's easier to get a kid to understand why they shouldn't stick their hand in the fire if you just say "it's bad". Similarly, it's easy for them to understand "hitting other kids is bad". Saying things like "hurting other people makes other people feel bad" and "what if he decides to try hitting you back?" are good explanations, but people tend to shy away from those.

There are existing schools of thought which say "good and evil do not exist". I agree with this for the most part. That's not to say there aren't things which are helpful or hurtful, just that nothing is absolutely good or absolutely bad. Here's an example. Most people consider killing bad. However, most people also acknowledge that, in nature, animals kill and eat each other all the time. Sometimes in rather cruel and/or disgusting ways. Some cultures also try to be respectful of animals killed for food by using every last part of that animal for something. You could even take this one step further by saying "even vultures need to eat", so no death is truely wasted because a scavenger animal will be able to survive off of the remains of an animal.

On the flipside, most people consider caring for someone who is sick or injured to be a good thing. However, if a person is given TOO MUCH care, they will become dependant on that care. A person with an injured leg can use a crutch while injured. This will help them to heal by allowing them to stay active while keeping pressure off of that leg. However, if they use the crutch for too long, the leg muscle will atrophy, making the leg too weak to stand on, further necessitating the crutch. The old saying "the road to hell is paved with good intentions" seems to be applicable many times.

If you think about that for a while, the whole light side/dark side division starts to make more sense. It's not that the light half is "good" per se, just methodically different in achieving the same goal (becoming omnipotent).

Yes, I am a nerd. :)

Zeromus_X
02-13-2006, 04:57 AM
well...that does make sense if people would be willing to understand it.

i do, as i just want to understand all this .:eep:

Reine
05-03-2006, 07:38 AM
The fact that he attacked them pretty much shows his true colours "If you will not accept eternal life, then I will give you eternal suffering!"

Besides, was it really "Heaven"? I mean, Lucifer, Beelzebub Soul, all sorts of evil creatures in there.

A mockery of Heaven, obviously

Maybe Arruboth is the light half of Hell?

For are not Light and Darkness different to Good and Evil?