PDA

View Full Version : Which Game System is Best?

rincewind
01-17-2006, 07:44 AM
Which game system do you prefer?

For example: jobs, junctioning, materia, learning abilities from items, learning as you level up?

Shin Gouken
01-17-2006, 08:49 AM
Which game system do you prefer?

For example: jobs, junctioning, materia, learning abilities from items, learning as you level up?

:mad: Certainly NOT learning abilities as you level up. FFIV bored me to death with that system.

I really didn't like the sphere grid in X either

The job ability system in FFV was great. Training a character in one job class and using the skills learned while training another job class just makes kind of sense and really had its uses. It could be devestating aswell, and left room to mix and match abilities for well balanced parties and make a strategic approach to bosses.

The materia system works extremely well too. Being able to combine materia to pull of some awesome attacks. Who needs KOTR when you can W-magic+qudramagic magic counter mime and final attack the /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif out of something without it

And the junction system was brilliance. It had its flaws but it was completley original and a breath of fresh air. I know people say it was difficult, but its explained properly and requires thought work to use effectively. No more thought and work than the job system or the materia system

I'd have to pick the job system as my overall favorite. In vii and viii you could learn white magic from monsters or materia, but nothing beats seeing your character as a white mage to learn it. Especially when their are amazing job classes like ninja's, samurai's, dragoon knight's and sorcerer's to choose from. A party of ninja's looks so damn cool. A party of black mages can be devestating to an enemy weak to elemental magic. especially if you have secondary abilities ti increase that attack power. Job system wins by a long shot :greenie:

Red Squall
01-17-2006, 09:05 AM
Junctioning was good to an extent because you could junction different characters to be different things to tackle different situations. VIII had a good system but at 1st it is confusing if you havent used it before.

i quite liked the sphere grid in FFX, however i think it would have been better if you had more choices what you'd like to level up with

Sanji
01-17-2006, 12:48 PM
the best game system ever was the FFVII!!!!!!!!!!! to pretty damn good!!!! FFVII was easy to manipulate and very limited but all of those materia thing just blow my mind away..... !!!oh and the FFX was good too... I didn't like the FFX-2 system... it's just to bad XD...

ljkkjlcm9
01-17-2006, 01:34 PM
I like FFVI, where there were characters each with a unique class, so you use that character for a class. Those good with magic will learn spells at certain levels, but everyone can learn magic from espers as well, plus espers give Stat boosts on Lvl up... I think it worked really well, plus they gave depth to each character making the game even better

THE JACKEL

Fatal Impurity
01-17-2006, 01:46 PM
definately the materia system! id say the job system comes in at close second (as it was much more developed nad interesting than the watered down 10-2 version)

what would you say was the best limit break system?

Shin Gouken
01-17-2006, 02:01 PM
I don't know about 'Best' system, but my favorite was the FFVIII crisis system. The limit breaks in FFVIII were amazing and the system aloud us to abuse them :greenie:

Fatal Impurity
01-17-2006, 02:32 PM
i like the ff7 "limit break level system" but the fact you couldnt attcak without using your limit break really annoyed me (i liked to save my limits until the bosses) so i would have to go for ff10's "overdrive system" because you could use it when YOU were ready...

TheSpoonyBard
01-17-2006, 03:24 PM
the fact you couldnt attcak without using your limit break really annoyed me
Use Mug/Deathblow/Magic/Summon/E.Skill.

Favourite system
1. FFVII - materia
2. FFVIII - junctioning
3. FFX-2 - dresspheres

I don't like the fixed job system of FFIX.

Favourite limit break system

1. FFVIII - hooray for Aura
2. FFX - I liked having the different modes for charging the OD bar
3. FFVII - they always came as and when I needed them

FFIX's Trance system was awful, and I never got to see any of them in FFVI.

YTDN
01-17-2006, 04:38 PM
Dresspher and garment grid system. I liked it, OK?
Close second is the Materia system.

I HATED the learn from weapons system of IX. I wanted to use weapons that was good for ass-kicking, I didn't want to wait to change them.

~SapphireStar~
01-17-2006, 04:52 PM
I loved junction and the dresspheres.

rincewind
01-17-2006, 06:20 PM
Thanks for the response people! :)
I think my favourite would have to be...i dunno...:confused:
probably materia thinking about it...though i love jobs...:love:
I've never really got into FF8 properly since i last played it when i was about 12 so was too thick to use junctioning to its maximum...:(

SinSpawnAmadeus
01-17-2006, 06:51 PM
Either the FFVI or FFIX system. Each had an innovative system that allowed each character to remain unique, although FFVI probably wins overall as you could also customize them by Junctioning Espers.

Yes, that‘s right; I just compared the FFVI Esper system to Junctioning.

Lost Number
01-17-2006, 07:24 PM
FFVII.

raskerino
01-17-2006, 07:25 PM
Junction was very enjoyable because it allowed full customization.

I also loved materia in FFVII because of the customization and I liked the combos.

Sphere Grid was pretty cool too.

Yuffie514
01-17-2006, 10:42 PM
learning abilities/magic from weapons would be at best, without having to be at a set level just to be able to use that equipment. so...FFTA style.

Nick Schovitz
01-17-2006, 10:45 PM
FF VIII's was the best to me.

Vyk
01-17-2006, 11:28 PM
I loved exploiting materia combinations. Maybe that's one of the reasons I enjoyed that game so much. Sinful satisfaction at cheaply overpowering my characters xD

rubah
01-18-2006, 12:51 AM
I like the ones that give the most control over what stats increase. FFX, FF8, FF2.

xtreme112
01-18-2006, 01:19 AM
there were the ups and downs of each system, but there were a few that stood out

I wasn't a big fan of having to buy your magic, like ff1 & 2, but the way it got stronger was helpful

FFIV's system was too standard

FFV's class/job system was great as not only did it offer to learn new skills but each class was unique and crucial to certain points in the game, that and it also let you build up your characters skills to create the best possible outcomes

FFVI's esper system was good too, it showed that you had control over the learning, and that anyone could learn any magic, plus there were characters with VERY useful skills of their own (I wouldn't be anywhere without Edgar, Sabin, Gau and Celes)

FFVII's materia system rocked, but the only problem was it took too long to level up the materia.

The junctioning system in FFVIII was good in the sense that you didn't have to level up your characters millions of times to make them potentially strong characters. If you knew how to use the refinement skills and the drawing technique, you could build yourself really strong characters in a very short time, problem was that you then had to rely far too much on that magic, and couldnt use it in any fights. And until you understood how to junction, it was very had to get used to.

FFIX's system of learning off the weapons wasn't too bad, but it was very standard style stuff. There wasn't much in the way of bettering your characters faster.

most people i talk to don't like the sphere grid system, but i thought it wasn't all that bad. The only thing i didn't like about it was the fact that it took a very long time to see improvements to your characters, and although each character starts with their own specialty, eventually they all end up the same anyway.

FFX-2's dressphere system was good, being able to change your class in the middle of a fight was actually really helpful, but it could've been a little less girly -_- when it came to the way of learning new skills it was pretty easy and moderately fast so it was a good thing.

RaidenWeb17
01-18-2006, 11:51 PM
I like Junctioning, Materia, and Sphere Grids

DJZen
01-19-2006, 12:14 AM
I would like to see a hybrid of FFII's growth system with a more traditional level up system. That way, you still level up regularly, but you only improve in areas you've actually been using. As far as learning spells and abilities, the job points system (FFT) is pretty good, but I'd like to see it in a way that's less abstract. Like, you have to travel to dojos AND have a certain level of JP to get that awesome new Monk skill. It might be more complex on the face of it, but I think this would be pretty interesting in practice.

Vyk
01-19-2006, 01:28 AM
But... then the whole team would get that monk skill, right?

Slade
01-19-2006, 03:58 AM
I liked the Junction, the Job and the Sphere Grid. They were the most interesting and fun in my opinion.

Neco Arc
01-19-2006, 12:43 PM
If it is just restricted to Final Fantasy I would say the materia or job system.
If not, I would say the class system in SD3

FinalCetra
01-19-2006, 01:06 PM
FFIX was easily my LEAST favorite FF game, in part because of the crappy learning system. My favorite was either FFTs class/learning system or FFX's spheregrid. I think I like the spheregrid slightly more than the FFT system.

Alexander
01-19-2006, 01:31 PM
FFI and FFIII - Good ol' way... I like it. Not the best in the world, but it is fun to use.

FFII - Meh. I don't really like it. It is good, I can't seem to like it.

FFIV - I like the cheesy way. <3 and FF only used this cheesy way once, anyway. xD/

FFV - Sort of a rollback to good ol'way, but leveling jobs is quite fun. And, FINALLY, Red Mages are totally useful.

FFVI - Got to love it. Even though everyone can learn all magic, making the oter skills quite obsolete (aside of Morph and Mimic), it is awesome. Plus, you can help your stats quite a bit.

FFVII - I don't like Materias. I don't like overpowerness. And Materia is horribly overpowered. No, seriously, all of thos emateria combos makes the game so easy that it's not even funny. Limit Break is good, but I'd love to see a new way of learning them.

FFVIII - It is a progress over Materia, of course, but what I _hate_ in Junctioning is... the lopsided wat it goes. i mean, with junction, you can just attack physically, use Limit Breaks and heal (with Recover) when needed. It made magic horribly obsolete. I know, magic is essential to junctioning, but I like to use magic in battle - it is so useless in FFVIII. At least, until you get some Triple. And even then, you don't want to use Triple, that would screw your junction >< and Limit Breaks... well, the concept is not totally screwed, but the fact that most of them are physical (Squall's, Zell's, Irvine's, Rinoa's aside of Angel Wing, ans some of Quistis') is bad. I mean, true magical limit breaks, like some of Quistis' Blue Magic, would rock. ><

FFIX - This one I like. The fact that Lv1 character and Lv99 character have the same Def, Mag Def, Eva, and Mag Eva values (zero! XD) without equipment is good. Also, you don't need to rely o level-up much, I liked the way that stat raising went; you could make the character everything you want. Some abilities should definitiely come back, like the "Killers" and Elem-Atk boosters. They were SO useful. And about Trance... well, I understand why you can't chosse when it happens, but it annoys. I love it, but sometimes, some CONTROL over it would make it perfect.

FFX - ...>_< Sphere Grid is... love and hate. I mean, it's one of the most opriginal things EVER< and all characters had their individuality until you get those Lv3 and Lv4 Locks. but it can make characters so... powerful @_@; well, since you don't have MAteria combinations here, I think I can handle it just fine. But, well, I'd love that Seymour Omnis and Braska's Final Aeon had more HP. ANd Overdrive is really good, but again, Mix can become obscene. XD

FFX-2 - Dressphere? Good. Garment Grid? Good. They way they are used in battle? Bad.

DJZen
01-19-2006, 10:53 PM
But... then the whole team would get that monk skill, right?

No, just the character. Think how magic worked in FFI. You had to buy the spell to give it to a character AND you had to be the right level and class.

rubah
01-20-2006, 05:04 AM
FFVIII - It is a progress over Materia, of course, but what I _hate_ in Junctioning is... the lopsided wat it goes. i mean, with junction, you can just attack physically, use Limit Breaks and heal (with Recover) when needed. It made magic horribly obsolete. I know, magic is essential to junctioning, but I like to use magic in battle - it is so useless in FFVIII. At least, until you get some Triple. And even then, you don't want to use Triple, that would screw your junction >< and Limit Breaks... well, the concept is not totally screwed, but the fact that most of them are physical (Squall's, Zell's, Irvine's, Rinoa's aside of Angel Wing, ans some of Quistis') is bad. I mean, true magical limit breaks, like some of Quistis' Blue Magic, would rock. ><

You know, the entire game of ff8 threw focus off of magic.

A military academy would be expected to favor brute force. See what Mayor Dobe said when Garden found itself in F-H. He was afraid the Galbadians would come and use force, etc.

Then you have teh whole 'it's not real magic anyways. GFs only let us use paramagic!' and of course the sorceresses are the only ones who use *real* magic. It's a pity Rinoa only shows it in her limit break.

Quistis's limits aren't real magic, of course. They're only techniques she learns from studying items, etc. I would assume that selphie's slots are something similar she learned from trabia garden.

And it's true that physical attacks make the game go by much faster. But it's funny, once you start using magic, it throws in a whole lot more randomness and unpredictability (though not much, but some) which seems to make the battles more enjoyable, etc.

Besides, you can hold 32 magics. You can only junction what, 20?

HowlingMonkey
01-20-2006, 11:26 AM
The Job/Dressphere system is easily the best. I like the strategy of having characters only being good for certain things, and also that it helps differentiate between characters in battle. Cause the Materia system, while cool, means that any character can pretty much do anything, and all at the same time. And the Junction system is horrid. Just plain horrid.

Jessweeee♪
01-20-2006, 11:10 PM
Junctioning was my favorite. Though you can't use it to it's full potential until you get the ragnarok to get to all of those unreachable places for magic and GFs. If you knew where the good draw points are, you'll never run out of magic. Get all the GFs and refinery abilities and use it right. Go to the Island Closest to Heaven/Hell and also beat Ultima Weapon for lots of ultima (100 for at least 3 characters). Combine all of this stuff right and you got SUPER-STATS!!! My charaters had max strength, high magic, a good defense (though could have been better) and I didn't have to worry about my magic supply. The only problem I came across was when I first started playing and didn't get it, but once you understand it's great.

Sphere grid was excellent, if you have lots of spheres, but as soon as you run out you're ruined for the rest of the game. I admire how the game developers force you to fight those random battles. I didn't like the lack of customization, but it all worked out okay.

Dresspheres/Garmet Grids were good, if you can find them all, but I missed having all the different characters.

Materia, i didn't like so much. It was simple, but just not to my liking.

Overdrives:

FFVIII: AWESOME! Use triple aura, duel (punch rush and booya) and you can hit several times in just one second!!! The lionheart, of course, was cool and Angelo's Invincible Moon and Phoenix thing helped me a lot, not to mention Wishing Star.

FFX: Great! not as good as VIII, but I liked it a lot.
FFVII: good, if you can get the limits learned, but i'm having trouble with that now.
FFX-2: SPECIAL DRESSSPHERES SUCK!!!

Vyk
01-21-2006, 12:47 AM
No, just the character. Think how magic worked in FFI. You had to buy the spell to give it to a character AND you had to be the right level and class.
Oh, I gotcha. I like that idea

Dreddz
01-21-2006, 01:02 AM
Materia was nice and simple, but still had complexity if you looked for it, I dont want to spend countless times changing his and changing that some of the time.
I did like the Junction system though.....

Alexander
01-21-2006, 04:42 AM
You know, the entire game of ff8 threw focus off of magic.

A military academy would be expected to favor brute force. See what Mayor Dobe said when Garden found itself in F-H. He was afraid the Galbadians would come and use force, etc.

Then you have teh whole 'it's not real magic anyways. GFs only let us use paramagic!' and of course the sorceresses are the only ones who use *real* magic. It's a pity Rinoa only shows it in her limit break.

Quistis's limits aren't real magic, of course. They're only techniques she learns from studying items, etc. I would assume that selphie's slots are something similar she learned from trabia garden.

And it's true that physical attacks make the game go by much faster. But it's funny, once you start using magic, it throws in a whole lot more randomness and unpredictability (though not much, but some) which seems to make the battles more enjoyable, etc.

Besides, you can hold 32 magics. You can only junction what, 20?

Hmmm o.o you made a good point o.o''

"And it's true that physical attacks make the game go by much faster. But it's funny, once you start using magic, it throws in a whole lot more randomness and unpredictability (though not much, but some) which seems to make the battles more enjoyable, etc."

Hmm? Well, I suppose you are right, I haven't played this game more than 5 times, but when exactly, does that (that = start using magic) happen? o.o I don't remember when I really needed magic _in-battle_ to survive.