PDA

View Full Version : No Junctioning Challenge

FinalCetra
01-17-2006, 09:52 AM
Ever wanted to beef up FFVIII? Try the No Junctioning challange. The rules of the challange are as follows:

No junctioning any GFs, which means no using any magic, except limmit break induced magic. ie. Selphies limmit break or Quistis'.

No items during battle, since no junctioning is allowed.

I am currently doing this, and have gotten so far to Timber.

Red Squall
01-17-2006, 09:58 AM
now that is a challange is next to the impossible. even if u manged to get to ultimecia, you would never be able to beat her with no items or junctions, but i wonder how far you will get doing this, keep updating and good luck.

FinalCetra
01-17-2006, 10:01 AM
I will keep you all updated. Why would it not work, though? Selphie can use her limmit break to cure all. Limmit break magic is allowed, just not junctioned magic. And since junctioning is not allowed, then neither is items in battle.

I used to underestimate Selphie untill I started the challange. Them I realized how valuable she really is! Go Selphie!

TheSpoonyBard
01-17-2006, 10:42 AM
If you're using The End on everything, it isn't much of a challenge.

FinalCetra
01-17-2006, 10:48 AM
I have never seen the end...That is one spell I have yet to see. So, no I haven't been using it, I have barely had time to keep up her cure spells. That spider thing is rough w/o GFs or junctioning!

Shin Gouken
01-17-2006, 11:01 AM
That really is a challenge. Unlike trying to beat FFV as bare classes with no equipment or trying to beat FFVII without materia and equipment you wont have the advantage of being able to level up. In FFV and FFVII, leveling up is about all that you can do. Now however, it will be your disadvantage. I'd like to see you beat a level 100 malboro without any junctions

Noj_R
01-18-2006, 01:03 AM
I dont think its possible, in fact I can almost guarentee it is. No items or magic...Just attacking. its like throwing out the whole RPG system. You wont get far ;)

But I could be wrong...

Raposa
01-18-2006, 03:34 AM
I'm on it!

FinalCetra
01-18-2006, 08:42 AM
Possible or no, I will find out soon enough. I managed to beat Ifrit in the lowest time allowed, with about 4 or 5 mins to spare, so I may get a little ways. As for beating a level 100 malboro, that WILL be impossible, unless I got Rinoa to use Invincible Moon, and then kept up with Renzokuken and Zell's Duel.

I haven't played today, though. I haven't had time. I will try tomorrow, but college is keeping me busy, I just started the spring semester today.

a_dollar_20
01-18-2006, 01:55 PM
I reckon its possible With limit breaks and all You can just use lots and lots of limits on ultimicia and stuff. And angelo could really help out being able to make you invincable and all (First time i played i didn't know how to junction until Well after timber)

Sir Bahamut
01-18-2006, 01:57 PM
It IS possible, although it's VERY hard and time consuming. There's an FAQ at Gamefaq's devoted to the challenge. I think the author said it took her some 200 attempts before she beat Ultimecia in the final battle.

She never beat Omega Weapon though...

EDIT: Oh, and she never used The End on anything when beating it...

a_dollar_20
01-18-2006, 01:59 PM
Well ive never used the end either so i guess trying to use it on everything would take like 200 hrs in itself

Raposa
01-18-2006, 02:20 PM
is it alowed to use Gfs abilities outside battle? ie card mod?

a_dollar_20
01-18-2006, 02:22 PM
How would u be able to get card mod without junctioning

Raposa
01-18-2006, 04:21 PM
you may equip GF but not use its ability or command or magic etc
but if the rule is no junction at all i'm still on it ^^

nik0tine
01-18-2006, 10:54 PM
I was just about to do this. However, I think I'm going to go a mildly different route. I've yet to decide what I want to do with FF8. I'm thinking a low level, no stat junction, ability only game. (Meaning magic or summoning, but things like auto haste, auto reflect, etc. are A-ok [except for perhaps recover and revive])

FinalCetra
01-19-2006, 11:12 AM
I heard of this challange quite some time ago, but the way I understood it was that there was no junctioning allowed. Which yes, means no card mod. That sucks, I really like Tripple Triad, lol.

Whatever challange you try, nik, I wish you luck. I do think this challange is possible, just hard as hell.

I wasn't able to do anything today though, but perhaps Saturday or Sunday. I am trying to hold a 4.0 GPA this semester, so it will be a bit tough to find time for this challange. I will keep you all posted! :)

Ultima Shadow
01-19-2006, 06:26 PM
Well, I've tried this challange once, but I got bored pretty fast. I actually find it extremely boring to just use limmitbreaks ALL the time and nothing else. That's why I came up with my own "command junctioning only" challange. And to make up for the fact that this normally would be "much" easier than the no-junctioning challange, I dissabled weapon-upgrade, the use of the draw ability in battles and no card refining etc. Oh well... I hope you won't get too bored too soon, like i did, though. :cool:

I dont think its possible, in fact I can almost guarentee it is. No items or magic...Just attacking. its like throwing out the whole RPG system. You wont get far ;)

But I could be wrong...Actually... there's still 4 ways to kill level 100 Malboro's. 1) Quistis "Degenerator". 2) Selphie's "The End". 3) Selphie's "Rapture". 4) Odin/Gilgamesh.

FinalCetra
01-20-2006, 01:54 AM
I haven't gotten bored, but I DID get my ass kicked...by Georgio...Vinzer's body double. He got me pretty fast. Any ideas on how to kill him? First he took out cloud, then Selphie..Zell was the last to go. Bastard!

u2girl1966
01-20-2006, 04:09 AM
Good luck on the 4.0 GPA! (And yeah, the game too of course!)

nik0tine
01-20-2006, 05:01 AM
I haven't gotten bored, but I DID get my ass kicked...by Georgio...Vinzer's body double. He got me pretty fast. Any ideas on how to kill him? First he took out cloud, then Selphie..Zell was the last to go. Bastard!
...Cloud? :confused:

Khaotic
01-20-2006, 05:02 AM
cloud? xD anyways, I may try this challenge, depends if I feel up to it or not, does sound challenging though xD

FinalCetra
01-20-2006, 08:36 AM
LMAO...I did NOT just say cloud...what kind of...forget I ever said Cloud. I meant Squall, you all know that....right?....right??

By u2girl1966

Good luck on the 4.0 GPA! (And yeah, the game too of course!)

Thanks, I try :D

(both game and school :p )

Lychon
01-21-2006, 05:56 AM
Cloud? AHa!! Your true colors have been shown FinalCetra!! Jk, lol...on the plus side, both names are weather phenomena, so I guess it's not all that difficult to confuse them...right?

P.S. And no, this does not open any possibility for you crazies out there to start spewing forth Cloud= Squall theories...sheesh...

Xaven
01-21-2006, 05:53 PM
No junction challenge? Heh, fun times. Well, good luck with that as you may need it!

Who do you think you main party will consist of? I'm thinking Squall, Selphie (a must), and Rinoa (possibly Quistis). This one will probably take you the farthest with only limit breaks.

w2hunter
01-23-2006, 02:12 AM
hey so FinalCetra are u trying to stay lower lvls or are u lvling a lot? just cerius how ur playin this out cuz it would prob be exer to stay a lower lvl but im not to sure how with out being able to use no encounter or card mod??? and how far are u now?

Future Esthar
01-23-2006, 02:33 PM
Will it change the storyline?
Will our heros remember things soon?
Will they remember more things?
If so it would be worthwile to keep fighting battles to level up even though it would last ages.

Christmas
01-23-2006, 03:19 PM

WILL IT AFFECT THE CHALLENGE???

Alexander
01-23-2006, 05:22 PM

Will you stop trying to put your wacky theories on EVERY FFVIII topic?

Moon Rabbits
01-23-2006, 11:58 PM
If so it would be worthwile to keep fighting battles to level up even though it would last ages.

lmfao.

I never really liked the whole blaming the characters amnesia on the GFs...it seemed sorta like...iunno pulled straight out of square's ass cuz they couldn't think of anything.

Future Esthar
01-25-2006, 10:44 PM
Will you stop trying to put your wacky theories on EVERY FFVIII topic?

Where is the theory?