PDA

View Full Version : Help creating a website plz

a nirvana fan
01-17-2006, 06:39 PM
OK I want to create my own site for FREE, no payment, I just want to create a website, but I can't find any really good ones, does anyone reccomend any...?Thanks in advance(by the way I've tried freewebs, maxpages and geocities already)

Samuraid
01-17-2006, 07:38 PM
You'll probably have trouble finding any free hosts that have no ads. I don't know of any free hosts without ads.

rubah
01-17-2006, 10:24 PM
Beg a friend with a lot of unused space.

Vyk
01-17-2006, 11:36 PM
Mhmm. That's why I pay for my own domain and webhost. No ads. And lots of unused webspace xD You'll just have to live with ads methinks. And a bandwidth limit. And restrictions on access and tags you can use and all that jazz.

Rice Cake
01-18-2006, 12:27 AM
Earthlink.net does it for free if your a member. Thats what I'm doing anyway. Maybe you should try that.

Sain Cai
01-21-2006, 09:56 PM
Here are a few free hosts I have had:

solarhost.info
2plans.com
intense-host.net
procomputertech.net

Most free sites will have ads in one form or another, this is how they try to make $$$ to offer you hosting for nothing. Ads resemble the ones on this site, google text ads that can be customized to suit your site layout.

As for a bandwidth limit Vyk, there is always a limit, paid or not. Bandwidth isn't free and if you have a host that offers "unlimited" bandwidth, they are talking out their A.....well you get the point. Try having a download site that rips 100GB a month or more, and see how fast your site goes down for bogging the servers.

Anywho, you can also go here: http://www.freewebspace.net/forums and post a request for hosting. You can tell them you don't want ads (though most will have them anyway), but usually you will have to post regularly in their forums (aka post 2 host). Ads really aren't that bad, just look at my site in my sig (click the Home link in the header), and see how the ad blends in with the site. Ads aren't as bad as they used to be, annoying popups or unders or HUGE banners.

P.S. My site is hosted by intense-host, just tell them I sent you, maybe that will help ;)

Death Penalty
01-21-2006, 11:27 PM
Lycos

rubah
01-22-2006, 12:55 AM
If I could use my subdomains properly, I'd offer you some of my site's space :P

Vyk
01-22-2006, 01:01 AM
I wouldn't advise offering that to everyone that thinks they want to maintain a webpage.

And I know everything has bandwidth limits. But for what I do, I've never scratched the limit on my host. Geocities however was shutting me down every other day for the same stuff. I think theirs is like 2GB/month or something. And they estimate day-by-day on whether your activity (if continued daily) would make you bypass that. I know AngelFire has a horrid limit. With a hosted domain you're less likely to notice or care that you have a limit. I get 25-30GB a month on mine. I rarely use more than maybe a half-dozen megs ^_^'

rubah
01-22-2006, 01:27 AM
Vyk, you fail to see the 'if' part. Without the if, there is no 'then I'll give you some right now!' 8)

I've got more than enough space though:(

Sain Cai
01-22-2006, 04:29 AM
Whats wrong with your subdomains? If you can set up a FTP account for a user, then they should only have access to that directory (username would become 'subdomain')

rubah
01-22-2006, 06:34 AM
The subdomains think they are a part of a site that does not exist.

Samuraid
01-22-2006, 07:05 AM
Whats wrong with your subdomains? If you can set up a FTP account for a user, then they should only have access to that directory (username would become 'subdomain')
If that's the case, give me an FTP account and PHP support and I'll read all your site files, get your database passwords and read all your databases. :p It's not even close to being as secure as you think on most hosts.

Sain Cai
01-22-2006, 01:28 PM
If that's the case, give me an FTP account and PHP support and I'll read all your site files, get your database passwords and read all your databases. :p It's not even close to being as secure as you think on most hosts.
How would you be able to do that? Every ftp account I have ever made for my users ( I had a Romance of the Three Kingdoms site and a Strat-O-Matic site) and the users only had access to their respective directories. They could not get into the root directory. Same with a MySQL database, all the accounts are diffeent and they all had their own.

Just curious to see how you could do that....unless you are a professional hacker ;)

Samuraid
01-22-2006, 08:53 PM
I'm not a professional hacker by any means, I just know a lot of the basic tricks about unix security. :p

I'll send you a description via a PM. :)