PDA

View Full Version : Best Final Dungeon? (Spoilers maybe?)

JFA_bobguy
01-18-2006, 09:08 AM
FFI - Temple of Chaos
FFII - Pandemonium
FFIII - Crystal Tower
FFIV - Crystal Palace
FFV - Cleft of Dimension
FFVI - Kefka's Tower
FFVII - Northern Crater
FFVIII - Ultimecia's Castle
FFIX - Memoria
FFX - Inside Sin

Ultimecia's Castle was my favorite. It just had an excellent atmosphere. Almost actually creeped me out.

Captain Maxx Power
01-18-2006, 05:03 PM
My thoughts on the matter:

FFI:Temple of Chaos:

Very contrived. Not the most deadly dungeon by a solid one none-the-less. The first levels are unlinear which is always good, but the lower floors are just filler. There's a lot of variance though.

FFII:Pandemonium:

One of the hardest (but not the hardest in FF2) dungeons, the combo of the Jade Passage before Pandemonium will break your face in two. The designs and contrast between the two are also neat, and like most of FF2's dungeons there's a lot of false passages to deal with.

FFIII:Crystal Tower:

Nothing special, if you disregard Hidden Land Eureka which is techinally attached to the Crystal Tower. Apart from that it's just one bland looking designed floor after another. Until you get to the dark world that is...

FFIV:Crystal Palace:

One of my personal favs. Nice decor, especially for the last few floors. Not too difficult to nagivate, but certainly not linear. Lots to find considering how far into the game it is.

FFV:Cleft of Dimension:

Man, this place just rules. The completely different areas, the huge amount of monsters, FF's first "uber bosses". Probably my favourite.

FFVI:Kefka's Tower:

Extremely innovative with the switching between parties, but it can irritate you a bit later when you realise you need to backtrack to find a single switch you missed. Considering also the layout for some of the other areas of the game this dungeon looks atrocious in comparison.

FFVII:Northern Crater:

The first "unsquare" dungeon. Isn't as innovative as FF6 was, plus it doesn't really take advantage of the whole party splitting (you can't switch plus you can just re-enter that area once you reach the bottom). As for the actual layout, it's probably one of the best dungeons in FF7, if not the best.

FFVIII:Ultimecia's Castle:

As said previously, very creepy. For me it all felt a bit out of place, but for a slightly unnerving Gothic theme it does it's job. Again party switching comes into it heavily but not the most complex dungeon ever concieved.

FFIX:Memoria:

Art deco gone mad! This dungeon is completely whacked out. Twisting gravity, dimension warps. You name a cliche, chances are this dungeon's got it. Rather like the rest of FF9 in that regard.

FFX:Inside Sin:

Considering this is the first FF on the PS2, the last dungeon is terrible. Linear, badly designed and no where near a challenge. Granted it's supposed to fit inside of Sin, but still they could've taken liberties with physics. One of the worst.

HowlingMonkey
01-18-2006, 06:35 PM
Ultimecia's Castle is just cool. The bosses, the puzzles, the fact that it's got every monster. Just plain rocks.

Shin Gouken
01-18-2006, 07:22 PM
It has to be either ultimecias castle or the cleft of dimension

Ultimecias castle was a little hard on my brain tbh. and all the mini bosses were pathetically easy. But it was still amazingly fun. I liked having to earn your abilities back

The cleft of dimension was incredable. Tons of enemies, enviroments, land bosses. Plus its the home of Shinryu and Omega :greenie: The X-zone itself was the best

i gave my vote to the cleft of dimension :greenie:

Lost Number
01-18-2006, 07:26 PM
Memoria. I like the design.

raskerino
01-18-2006, 10:22 PM
Ultimecia's castle followed by Memoria in a close second.

TheSpoonyBard
01-18-2006, 10:38 PM
Castle O' Doom.

Slade
01-19-2006, 04:09 AM
Ultimecia's Castle was by far the most awsome. Memoria, Kefka's Tower and The Cleft of Dimension were also awsome but definatly Ulty's place for the win.

Rengori
01-19-2006, 04:23 AM
Since I hated Sin's innards, and it's the only other Final Dungeon I've been to, the northern crater. When you place your save crystal at the beggining it sucks when Bizzarro Sephi kills you.

NeoCracker
01-19-2006, 04:32 AM
Im stuck Between KEfkas Tower and MEmoria

Neco Arc
01-19-2006, 12:36 PM
Either Ultimecia's castle, or the Cleft of Dimension.

Alexander
01-19-2006, 01:00 PM
Memoria, or Ultimecia's Castle

DarkLadyNyara
01-19-2006, 04:50 PM
Memoria or Pandaemonium.

Crossblades
01-19-2006, 05:50 PM
Kefka's Tower

Mythra
01-22-2006, 03:32 AM
Ultimecia's Castle was my fave, followed shortly by Memoria and Inside Sin

Christmas
01-22-2006, 04:00 AM
I vote for the Underdog, The Farplane.

Prancing Mad
01-22-2006, 04:34 AM
Yeah Memoria is the coolest looking for sure. Nothign comes close in my eyes. But Ultimecia's was pretty flipping sweet. Getting back your abilities and all those bosses made it tonsofun. It was fairly cool looking too. Kefka's look, when I think about it, was pretty ugly, other than those nifty spotlights. The group-splitting idea was absolutely genius. FF4 and 5 were cool in their own respective ways. For some reason they were intimidating

Rengori
01-22-2006, 04:36 AM
Actually, now that I'm there, and it is by far the funnest of the three I've been to, The Core (FFIV) is pretty good.

Zeromus_X
01-22-2006, 05:28 AM
i like pandaemonium. probably because of the music. (which sounded awesome remade in ffIX.)

plus, even with a powerful team, you can die if you dont take it lightly. (death knights or whatever theyre called)

i also liked how you got to go into hell, and there were all these famous demon bosses there (beelzebub, astaroth, etc.) that were actually a challenge (at least to me) and of course....zombie borgan!:D :p

and it could be named after milton's paradise lost's pandaemonium, the capitol of hell. (no surprise since square likes to put stuff from mythology, literature, etc. into their games.:rolleyes2 )

and it looked really awesome in DoS and origins. (all crystally and surreal and whatnot.)

Xaven
01-22-2006, 06:02 AM
Ultimecia's Castle did it for me.

starseeker
01-22-2006, 11:59 AM
I thought Ultimecia's castle was spooky, inside Sin was freaky and memoria was just plain weird. The puzzles in the castle and the sealed abilities made it the best, it wasn't your average dungeon.

Dell
02-04-2006, 05:20 AM
memoria cause I like the name so cool combine with memory