PDA

View Full Version : Nostalgia.

Nait
01-18-2006, 02:39 PM
Nostalgia is the bane of human existence. The feeling of affection and love that you feel for the past is an illusion, wrought by the fear of change and progress that you constantly live in, felt by you, a pitiful human being that cannot COMPREHEND the infinite vistas of the universe like I, the Nait, can!

So grovel in that nostalgia, my soon-to-be slaves! Inhale your lungs with the air of yesterday and CHOKE on it, as would my psychokinetic death-grip choke you if you'd have made me angry with your conduct!

Soon my plans come into fruitition, and the Earth will be MINE to toy with, just as I've toyed with thousands of worlds before this one!

So pine for your younger years, pitiful humans! PINE! Nostalgia will not save you when the time will come for me to ASCEND above your pitiful human postures and TAKE OVER THE WORLD!

So, what makes you nostalgic? I, the Nait, cannot feel nostalgia, because I am the perfect being of ultimate order and destruction, but sometimes I think that it just used to be so much better when these stupid white dwarves weren't yet around. They litter up the landscape.

Lindy
01-18-2006, 02:42 PM
...I think I just died and went to heaven.

Rydia of Mist
01-18-2006, 02:42 PM
You, for one.

And talking with other people who have experienced things that I have seen as well, and talking about how much Better Things Were Back Then. It happens to everyone.

Chris
01-18-2006, 02:44 PM
So, what makes you nostalgic?
Usually when I hear a song from my childhood or when I'm watching a movie I loved as a child. Paris, I use to go there a lot as a kid with my family. Haven't been there since 2000, I miss it so much.

Loony BoB
01-18-2006, 02:50 PM
I get nostalgic because I think of people who aren't around anymore and miss them being around. Thinking about those times when they were there makes me happy! Also, the crap cartoons they have out these days because old cartoons were so much cooler.

Denver! The Last Dinosaur! He's my friend and a whole lot more!

I find it amusing that Nait may not recognise half the people who post in this thread because of all the name changes.

Breine
01-18-2006, 02:53 PM
I can get nostalgic over many things, like for example a song playing on the radio or so. But, what does it for me the most is probably smells. A smell of something from the past can bring back memories like nothing else.

Lindy
01-18-2006, 02:56 PM
Man, did you ever finish creating your whole world then Nitey?

DK
01-18-2006, 02:57 PM
Green Little /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif =PPppPpPpppPPpPp

Rydia of Mist
01-18-2006, 02:59 PM
I find it amusing that Nait may not recognise half the people who post in this thread because of all the name changes.
More than likely. :exdee: Especially since at least one of us lack our "Former Staff" title. ;D *wink wink nudge nudge*

Nait
01-18-2006, 03:05 PM
Who the smurf are all these people? o_O

Rydia of Mist
01-18-2006, 03:15 PM

Ex-Mäjken.

Chris
01-18-2006, 03:16 PM
Majken is a womens name. In Scandinavia at least. :D

Lindy
01-18-2006, 03:17 PM
ihsiKuyR, lolz.

Rydia of Mist
01-18-2006, 03:21 PM
Majken is a womens name. In Scandinavia at least. :D
Thus why I'm EX-Mäjken. :D

Shaun
01-18-2006, 03:23 PM
I guess I can't really say there's anything for me. What's the opposite, where you totally hate something from the past and can't forget about it?

Nait
01-18-2006, 03:27 PM
I guess I can't really say there's anything for me. What's the opposite, where you totally hate something from the past and can't forget about it?

Oh yeah, those.

I think a "crashback" is an appropriate name.

Shaun
01-18-2006, 03:32 PM
Oh yeah, those.

I think a "crashback" is an appropriate name.

Ah. Well, I get plenty of them (and I MEAN plenty)!

Oh well, back to the topic at hand...

EDIT: You just totally invented that word. ;) But hey, that was pretty good.

theundeadhero
01-18-2006, 03:34 PM
I get Nostalgic every time I get to go home and sleep in my own room. It hasn't changed at all in the years since I've left it.

Nait
01-18-2006, 03:37 PM
EDIT: You just totally invented that word. ;) But hey, that was pretty good.

I'm a linguistics major, I'm ALLOWED.

(as is anyone else, but that's our little secret)

Lindy
01-18-2006, 03:42 PM
Actually, you need seventy two thousand people to be using a word at the current time for it to be "official" and placed in the dictionary.

Shaun
01-18-2006, 03:44 PM
Seventy-two-thousand? That's insane; it'll never happen. I reckon our current English will remain for a long time. But anyway, we're getting off topic! ;) Oh well, who cares?

Nait
01-18-2006, 03:45 PM
Actually, you need seventy two thousand people to be using a word at the current time for it to be "official" and placed in the dictionary.

That's nonsense. There are languages with only one or two living speakers, which have "the dictionary". YOUR LOGIC IS FLAWED AS IS YOUR BELT which conveniently has fallen down your legs EXPOSING THE HIDEOUS SIGHT of your Carebear boxers. And it's not even America Bear.

It's DO-YOUR-BEST BEAR.

theundeadhero
01-18-2006, 03:53 PM
He must still be nostolgic over EOFF's Care Bear day.

Shaun
01-18-2006, 03:55 PM
EoFF had a Care Bear day? Phew, I'm glad that I joined recently.

Hawkeye
01-18-2006, 04:01 PM
That was like, so last year.

That could be nostalgia for me. I probably didn't even use the word right.

Yamaneko
01-18-2006, 04:11 PM
I remember years ago when I used to wake up in the morning and before going to school I would see Nait online (you see he's on the other side of the world) and he would be posting about many different things and then I would have to go to school and not be able to see Nait until the next morning. Well, here I am, many many mornings later. I have waited.

'sup, Nait? :cool:

boris no no
01-18-2006, 04:22 PM
Thundercats B)

although it saddens me now that I understand all the sexual inuendoes in it
"Oh my Liono, you HAVE grown big" ;____; there goes my innocence

Shoeberto
01-18-2006, 04:59 PM
I remember. . .

Things.

Madonna
01-18-2006, 05:02 PM
I think old journals, sketchbooks, and mementos from my parents' house make me feel nostalgic. I also found out if you visit anywhere you spent a considerable amount of time, you tend to try to think of all the fond memories you have relating to the place. :|

I tend to avoid the feeling; it's far better to make more recent memories, than reflect on the old ones kicking around in the back of your mushy brain.

Vyk
01-18-2006, 05:04 PM
I whole-heartedly disagree with your description. I revel in nostalgia. I adore reminders of my past. But I fully accept the future and usually look forward to new possibilities and things. Cartoons and toys are my biggest nostalgia inducers. Video games used to be. But emulation took care of that. And anymore, I realize how unevolved games were back then and find it hard to get back into games I used to enjoy, with all-to-simple gameplay mechanics. And impossible challenges just to make games last longer. And when they had dialogue *croak* High-quality RPGs and cenimatic masterpieces have me spoiled anymore. People think games are straying too far from their roots these days. I think they just haven't found those wonderful gems that innovate in all the right places to give you the gaming orgasm you've been waiting for since NES introduced the possibilites. I'm gonna shut up now.

Cz
01-18-2006, 05:28 PM
Old TV footage, and old EoFF members normally do it for me. But the thing about nostalgia is that it has to be unexpected. Hearing a song from your youth won't normally evoke feelings of nostalgia, because chances are the song has been played once a week on the radio for the past ten years. But if it was a song that you hadn't heard since its initial release, and that you had forgotten even existed, that's going to get you harking back to the good ol' days.

Hi there, Nait. :)

Lindy
01-18-2006, 05:49 PM
That's nonsense. There are languages with only one or two living speakers, which have "the dictionary". YOUR LOGIC IS FLAWED AS IS YOUR BELT which conveniently has fallen down your legs EXPOSING THE HIDEOUS SIGHT of your Carebear boxers. And it's not even America Bear.

It's DO-YOUR-BEST BEAR.
English language, I made no mention of Aramaic there.

NOW I HAVE TO WONDER WHY YOU ARE IMAGINING MY UNDERWEAR, EH?

I THINK YOU'RE A FAN OF VERY-VERY-GAY-BEAR!

~SapphireStar~
01-18-2006, 05:53 PM
what makes you nostalgic?
For me its computer games, moives and music. Watching/playing/hearing a scene just replays old memories for me. I miss my childhood sometimes ...

Samuraid
01-18-2006, 06:53 PM
Mostly certain seasons make me nostalgic. That and certain places, certain songs and styles of music.

Leeza
01-18-2006, 08:07 PM
Going home because it's just not the same anymore. Remembering family. Looking through photo albums and other memorabilia that I have stored away. :cat:

The Man
01-18-2006, 08:09 PM
Nait's return to eoff makes me nostalgic.

Raistlin
01-18-2006, 09:40 PM
Being reminded of 3+ years ago for one reason or another. Like that one time I came back after a six month absence and this newbie named Nait PMed me with, "Dude, are you the <i>real</i> Raistlin?" and I was like "O_o."

escobert
01-18-2006, 09:41 PM
Nait's return to eoff makes me nostalgic.
As does your to me :p

o_O
01-18-2006, 09:59 PM
Hi Nate. Did you finish engineering your phonetic language? Can I see it?

Loony BoB
01-18-2006, 10:15 PM
Being reminded of 3+ years ago for one reason or another. Like that one time I came back after a six month abscene and this newbie named Nait PMed me with, "Dude, are you the <i>real</i> Raistlin?" and I was like "O_o."
That is so cute.

Nait
01-19-2006, 11:44 AM
That is so cute.

And an odious lie. :mad2:

o_O Hi Nate. Did you finish engineering your phonetic language? Can I see it?

What? All languages are phonetic. Except those that are only written. And even those tend to have phonology.

And "language engineering" is something completely different. :choc:

XxSephirothxX
01-19-2006, 11:58 AM
It doesn't take me much for me to be overcome by a wave of nostalgia. Pretty much seeing or talking to a person I haven't seen or talked to in forever, listening to a song, or even just being in a particular place. Online it's mostly when I see people online who I remember from when I joined, or talk about the past and listen to entertaining stories of days gone by.

xX.Silver.Wings.Xx
01-19-2006, 02:41 PM
I don't really get nostalgic... I'd rather forget most of my past, but when I play FF8 I always remember that feeling that I got when I first played it.... dunno if anyone knows what I mean....

Raistlin
01-19-2006, 04:24 PM
And an odious lie. :mad2:
Don't make me tell them the rest of that PM said. xD

Doomie
01-19-2006, 04:35 PM
Don't make me tell them the rest of that PM. xD

Leave it to our imagination.

This person named ShupQuack says you look hot shirtless. Is that true?Never will I ever shows my bosoms to that spawn of Satan!*swoons*

And there.

I may be 16, but listening to Otherside makes me feel old.

Old Manus
01-19-2006, 05:41 PM
Conservatives being in power

o_O
01-19-2006, 08:05 PM
What? All languages are phonetic. Except those that are only written. And even those tend to have phonology.

And "language engineering" is something completely different. :choc:

:(
You were creating a language that was written exactly the way it would sound. That's close enough to language engineering to me. At least in my laymans' terms.

Darkone311
01-19-2006, 08:21 PM
nice man

-N-
01-29-2006, 04:22 AM
Yeah, I've been saying for ages nostalgia is dumb.

Erdrick Holmes
01-29-2006, 04:55 AM
Eating Crunch Berries even though I'm an adult now.

The Man
01-29-2006, 05:14 AM
Yeah, I've been saying for ages nostalgia is dumb.Nostalgia ain't what it used to be.

Chemical
01-29-2006, 04:29 PM
I don't really live in the past. Persay. I much prefer to make and live in new fiascos.

But I'd have to say boys. I have a bad problem with the opposite sex in that I fall in love to easily for the smart witty chaps. I don't talk to them either. But I notice that affection is hard to give up, and even after a few years of not really talking there's always that sense of past affection that hangs itself around me.

Otherwise I tend to live in present, or the distant future.

Levian
01-29-2006, 04:38 PM
Hey Nait. Remember when you thought I was a girl? Oh, I can literally feel the nostalgia! Oh, nevermind it was just a headache.

Madonna
01-29-2006, 07:16 PM
I remember when Nait came back once and posted for, like, a day. What a great time that was; I wish we could have it again.

Christmas
01-29-2023, 03:40 AM
Every shit on EoFF