PDA

View Full Version : battle

a_dollar_20
01-18-2006, 03:21 PM
Do you think that the on screen encounter battle system is better or worse than the normal battle system

Duncan
01-18-2006, 03:52 PM
I don't mind the enemies on screen, i do mind the loss of control of my party members. Doesn't feel like FF then.

yunafan11
01-22-2006, 02:11 AM
I dunno, its different. I like the older way better. I like them when I can choose (sp?) the things, and there is a wait system.

Moshenokoji
01-26-2006, 06:40 PM
It should be fine. It kinda makes sense how they auto attack, it keeps you from having to tell each character to use there weapon or something, and when you want them to cast a spell or use an ability you just tell me. All in all the battles aren't really any different, just automated with physical attacking. Not to mention the AI in the demo was well programmed so they'll do what they feel is needed like healing or attack magic.

yunafan11
01-26-2006, 07:00 PM
yeah... but i love the wait system... lol.

Styrofoam
01-26-2006, 07:11 PM
I like the idea of seeing the enemies before you get into a battle with them better.

yunafan11
01-26-2006, 07:12 PM
Me too. I mean, at least then you know the stratagy before even killing them.

Fireblade13
01-26-2006, 08:47 PM
I like RPG's for these reasons:
-Great story lines
-Epic bosses
-I'm big on strategy
-i like slow paced fights that require more thinking than hit this button button as fast as possible (x2)

Now do u see anything about 12's system on their? no.
P.S. I played the demo and watching enemy's attack each other does really boost the realism.

Moshenokoji
01-26-2006, 11:20 PM
Then you must love Dragon Quest 8, it's all of those and then some. And it's probably the best RPG i've ever played. Final Fantasy XII should be good, i like the way things are done, it's not traditional... but atleast it's a step in the right direction. I do like how you can switch between active and wait mode, i'll probably do active alot to keep the time down, and use wait in big boss battles.

boys from the dwarf
01-27-2006, 04:19 PM
in a way the old battle was what made FF an FF but it was never my favourite part and i mainly appreciate the storyline and its still similar so i dont mind at all about the change.

a nirvana fan
01-27-2006, 05:09 PM
I think in a way it's a better idea and then again I kind of think it is ruining the FF feeling, but I don't mind either way.

boys from the dwarf
02-03-2006, 04:28 PM
as long as their is still EXP, AP and leveling (which im sure their is.) it will still have the old FF feeling.

DMKA
02-03-2006, 06:15 PM
I was sad about the change until I played the demo, and FFXI. It's really fun...but I don't know if I'd say "better". The turn based wait random battle system just has a special place in my heart.

boys from the dwarf
02-05-2006, 06:19 PM
can you explain how the battle system works because ive not played the demo. i know its simlilar but i still dont have many accurate ideas on how it will work.

El Shaggy
02-06-2006, 07:01 AM
I look forward to the new battle system. Random encounters were always lame IMHO.

NeoCracker
02-06-2006, 07:59 AM
can you explain how the battle system works because ive not played the demo. i know its simlilar but i still dont have many accurate ideas on how it will work.

Its like a better version of FFXI's, made more for solo play than multiplayer.

boys from the dwarf
02-06-2006, 07:35 PM
and i havent played FFXI.

Lost Number
02-06-2006, 07:45 PM
I think it will be interesting. I aint played XI, but I think that it will be quite innovative.

boys from the dwarf
02-08-2006, 03:17 PM
The encounters should be fun though. seems as monsters are rogue and arent always teaming it will be cool to watch two monsters fighting then walk in near the end of the battle and take the EXP:D.

Awesomeman
02-08-2006, 10:06 PM
I think it will be cool. I played the demo and I loved it.:D

Vincentsinnerdemon
02-13-2006, 09:59 PM
my favorite battle system was in FFX even though it was only my 3rd favorite because of the lack of a world map.

FFVII is my favorite and FFVIII is #2

Nakor TheBlue Rider
02-13-2006, 11:11 PM
boys from the dwarf: it will be cool to watch two monsters fighting then walk in near the end of the battle and take the EXP.

I'm gonna bet that this wont happen a lot later in the game. i'd guess you'll only see enemies fight each other in area's whare theres wild animals or maybey some plot fights where you interupt some people fighting.

although it would be pritty smart to swoop in on the kill, to snag some un-earned exp :tongue:

Dreddz
02-15-2006, 01:06 AM
Im really biting past my finger nails at what FFXII is going to be, Im not sure if Im going to like the game, hopefully, I can rest easy when it comes out.

Vincentsinnerdemon
02-15-2006, 08:22 PM
I still think that they should keep the battle system from the older FFs. The system just feels right for the Final Fantasy franchise.

vampirepiggyhunter7
02-15-2006, 08:31 PM
I heart turn based. But ATBs good. And CTB is the best so far.

AdVincent
02-22-2006, 12:56 AM
They should have made an optional multiplayer thingymabobber for the Battles.

boys from the dwarf
02-22-2006, 07:59 AM
I'm gonna bet that this wont happen a lot later in the game. i'd guess you'll only see enemies fight each other in area's whare theres wild animals or maybey some plot fights where you interupt some people fighting.

although it would be pritty smart to swoop in on the kill, to snag some un-earned exp :tongue:
i suppose later on the enimies will be all like judges and gaurds but still unearned exp makes everything better:D .

Jhei
02-23-2006, 04:07 AM
@ boys from the dwarf: Reading your post earlier, I will try to explain the battle system.

First of all, there are no more random encounters. (which many people here already know) And, there are 2 modes just like older FFs, Active or Wait. In Active, when you are picking a command, time still goes by. But in active, time freezes while you're picking a command. Also, you have to press square to open the battle menu, where you could pick your commands.

Also, the other characters in your party will only act automatically when the equipped Gambit is turned ON. If it is OFF, you have to pick a command for every character. (like older FFs) You also have to choose which is your Party Leader, because that's the character you can walk/run with. To give commands to the characters that are not the Party Leader, open the battle menu and just press left or right to switch to other character's battle menus. (but they still walk/run on their own unless you make them the Party Leader)

Also, when you defeat enemies, you get EXP and LP. EXP is already known, while LP stands for License Points. LPs are needed to get Licenses, which are required in equipping weapons/magic/abilities/accessories/armor. Finally, every action has a wait gauge (even Attack), and they have to be filled first before the character executes the command.

boys from the dwarf
02-24-2006, 04:14 PM
sounds good. its very similar so i cant see why their are so many complaints against this new system. thanks for that.

Vincentsinnerdemon
03-17-2006, 12:31 AM
the main difference ive seen is the fact that it is more like youre swarming around the enemy rather than being in a certain spot for the length of the battle.

P.S. that is what i like about the battle system. its simple and easy. now my characters will be all over the place.:(

AdVincent
03-17-2006, 02:48 AM
After seeing numerous vids, I am completely sold on the battle system.

Setzer Gabianni
03-17-2006, 07:15 AM
I used to hate this idea, but come on people - how many games have we had with random battles in? We need a change, this is more realistic. I was unhappy about the summons as well, but then I found out airships were to be named after them.

www.ffxii.us has lots of information

~Setzer Gabianni

Meimeiken
03-17-2006, 11:13 PM
I love the FFXI Battle system, seems like this one will be great too...

Trumpet Thief
03-17-2006, 11:28 PM
chaos: I think it's great. Some people might disagree, but I thought one of the low points of the Final Fantasy series was the random battles.

Albedo: *laughs maniacally*

Trowa: *sits and stares and sits and stares* Plus, the enemy will appear on the same screen which you were moving around on so, I guess that makes it even better. :)

Alexander
03-29-2006, 08:34 PM
I trust ADB.

I trust Gambit.

I trust License Board.

I trust Mind Knacks.

I trust the new Summons.

I really liked FFXII's battle system. And the plot. <3

And, no, I've never played FFXI.

crazybayman
03-30-2006, 12:06 PM
I was sad about the change until I played the demo.........It's really fun...but I don't know if I'd say "better". The turn based wait random battle system just has a special place in my heart.

Larahl
03-30-2006, 07:34 PM
I always loved Random Encounters, and disliked the Battle System like that that you see you enemy before fighting.
But after playing the demo I saw it was a great change!
Really you can count on the Final Fantasy team to make such a Battle System great.

There's nothing wrong about it, and you just need to play it for a few minutes and I'm sure you'll love it.
Give it a chance you won't be disappointed.

Sole
04-23-2006, 09:08 AM
random encounters were good and made Final Fantasys what they are, but its good to try something new sometimes (not same thing over and over, it gets booring:eep: ).Active Dimensonal Battle-system can be good and even better, but i can't say it till i have tried it out :mad:

Strycnine
04-23-2006, 12:10 PM
Yeah, I've played this, the battle systems good fun its kinda taken a swing toward KH though (as In your team mates are AI controlled, unless you give them orders, abit like donald and goofy). But this new battle system also means NO world map again. ah well

Mirage
04-23-2006, 12:20 PM
I think it will be a change for the better. I'm really looking forwards to it.

DudeSon2004
04-23-2006, 01:11 PM
In almost every FF game the battles are almost the same, I'm sure this will be a good change.
I'm looking forward to it.

???
05-01-2006, 01:56 PM
its better because it gives more realism to the game and a whole new element of stealth to avoid battles

Serapy
05-24-2006, 08:57 PM
I like the way how they designed this kind of battle system, a new kind for FF indeed.

But in the new battle system, I don't like it when it's your turn to attack then everything frozen unless you're prepared to do so.