PDA

View Full Version : Y'know what i noticed...

Zeromus_X
01-18-2006, 08:33 PM
i recently noticed that none of the ffs after 6 have an "exit" or "warp" spell. does anyone know why? ffvii has an "exit" materia, but its mostly just spells like x-zone and an escape spell.

maybe because its in 3-d? i dunno. i just cant think of why theyd take out a cool kind of spell like exit. :cat:

Rogue
01-18-2006, 08:46 PM
umm thats weird i never noticed that but i think it might be because the dungons in ff7-ff10-2 have more save points in them.

KoShiatar
01-18-2006, 09:12 PM
Dungeons were once longer and harder, with less save points and less money to stock up on items before you entered. Also, why exit a dungeon when you can easily absorb MP and HP from enemies, like in FF VII, or enemies drop Tents to use at save points, like in FF IX?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
01-18-2006, 09:37 PM
It's worth noting that, in Japan, the name of the spell that's usually known to us as "Warp" is called Degeon--short for De-Dungeon. In FFII, it became versatile as not only an escape spell but also an instant-death spell for enemies. By FFVI, Degeon was exclusively an instant-death spell, and Tina's Magitek Armor was equipped with a similar ability called Degeonator; in the American version, these were called "X-Zone" and "X-Fer" respectively. In the American version of FFVII, it was called "Remove." Finally, the Degeonator ability was reprised in FFVIII as one of Quistis's blue spells, called "Degenerator" in the American version.

My point is that Degeon/Warp/X-Zone/Remove made its way into the post-FFVI era, although its purpose was changed over time.

DJZen
01-19-2006, 12:23 AM
Teleport, however, did not...

YTDN
01-22-2006, 09:30 AM
I know warp saved me a few times in FFII, when I'd beat the boss in that dungeon, and I'd be so mashed up I'd have to warp ot or some random battle would kill me. And I always seemed to run out of pheonix downs/potions/mp for life/cure spells after bid boss battles. In FF6, there was a part in Zozo where I was so mashed up If I had got practically 1 random battle I'd have to go through th whole shebang again.

Captain Maxx Power
01-22-2006, 02:23 PM
Exit exsisted in some form or other up until FFV. After that there's been no mention of it. This may be because the designers felt it made the games too easy. Maybe it's because they didn't want to program it into their games. No one will ever know.