PDA

View Full Version : Subway Guy Blames Nintendo For His Love Of Junkfood

Winter Nights
01-19-2006, 07:31 AM
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3147139

Subway Spokesman's Six Inches of Nintendo Hate
Jared Fogle blames NES and fatty foods for girth.
by Dan Dormer, 01/18/2006

Try this one on for size. The now 190lbs. Jared "I lost a lot of weight eating only two Subway subs a day and walking a bunch, and now serve as the company's spokesperson" Fogle, a man not half as famous as his tan, pleated pants recently outlined exactly why he reached 425 lbs., and it's not something gamers (or Nintendo fans) want to hear.

In a story by the Columbia Daily News, Jared revealed at a lecture at the University of Missouri-Columbia that he could trace his weight problems back to the source now, "the best birthday present of my life: a Nintendo." And with his new found love of 8-bit princesses, Jared discovered another new love in junk food.

"I usually had one hand on the controller and one in a bag of chips," said Jared. His parents, noticing the problem, tried to limit Jared's time playing videogames, but in his own words, "... I found ways to get around it." Though, his tale gets worse. Instead of going on the bike rides he told his parents he was embarking on, the young Fogle instead booked it to the nearest fast food joint and order the "fattiest meal possible with his allowance."

First Jack Thomspon... and now the huggable Jared Fogle? File this one under WTF, folks.

WTF, indeed.

Meat Puppet
01-19-2006, 07:35 AM
fatting you to death is only part of Japan's plan for domination of u.s.a

Miriel
01-19-2006, 07:42 AM
I don't know why people are getting all uppity about this. Video games, laziness, and fatty foods contributed to this dude getting fat. It's not like he's saying that playing video games makes people fat. It's just that in his case, it was a factor.

I still think he's a pompous ass though.

Markus. D
01-19-2006, 07:47 AM
*sigh* ... lazy n00b who suck at life!

Winter Nights
01-19-2006, 07:56 AM
I don't know why people are getting all uppity about this. Video games, laziness, and fatty foods contributed to this dude getting fat. It's not like he's saying that playing video games makes people fat. It's just that in his case, it was a factor.

I still think he's a pompous ass though.
No, but he's pretty much implying that his junk food habits can be blamed on spending so much time playing video games. While you and I know this isn't true, he's trying to pass the buck. It'd be one thing for him to go on about how he was a couch potato as a kid, but that's not what he said.

Jared revealed at a lecture at the University of Missouri-Columbia that he could trace his weight problems back to the source now, "the best birthday present of my life: a Nintendo."

He's trying to imply that video games lead to laziness and obesity, which isn't remotely true. Laziness is a choice of one's self. Obesity in most cases is a choice of one's self. To blame it on an exterior medium is to pass the buck.

escobert
01-19-2006, 08:03 AM
And being lazy has nothign to do with fatness. Look at me, I'm extremely lazy yet I can't gain a pound :p

EDIT: ok maybe not nothing but still excersize people damn!

The Man
01-19-2006, 08:07 AM
man, I knew there was a reason I disliked this guy. What a wanker.

Miriel
01-19-2006, 08:18 AM
No, but he's pretty much implying that his junk food habits can be blamed on spending so much time playing video games. While you and I know this isn't true, he's trying to pass the buck. It'd be one thing for him to go on about how he was a couch potato as a kid, but that's not what he said.
But maybe for him, a lot of his eating habits were linked to the fact that he was playing so many video games. I tend to snack a lot (and I mean A LOT) when I study for tests. I don't know why, but it's just habit. Am I saying that the nasty Freshman 15 is to be blamed on difficult midterms? No, but it is a factor. And I really don't think he's trying to pass the buck. I've heard this guy speak before, and he always admitted that he had very unhealthy eating habits and that this was his fault. His pompous attitude that I dislike comes from the fact that he seems to look down on people who can't lose an incredible amount of weight like he did.

It always annoys me when gamers get up in arms anytime anything bad is linked to video games. My younger cousins never play outside anymore now that they have gameboys. I literally have to drag them kicking and screaming to the park to get some damn exercise into their day. Anyone who can look me in the face and tell me that those kids haven't been negatively influenced by having those gameboys is in major denial.

Bert, maybe not for you, but for a lot of people laziness does contribute to obesity.

edczxcvbnm
01-19-2006, 09:20 AM

He's trying to imply that video games lead to laziness and obesity, which isn't remotely true. Laziness is a choice of one's self. Obesity in most cases is a choice of one's self. To blame it on an exterior medium is to pass the buck.

1) Your being a dumbass.
2) He is not trying to make a statement or make an excuse as to why he became fat. That is just what happened. He didn't say anything like "It was nintendo's fault". He was addicted and that was his fault and no one else's. He hardly tried to pass the buck.
3) That article is shoddy journalism and, like most journalism, is making something out of nothing to their target audience.

Markus. D
01-19-2006, 10:27 AM
And being lazy has nothign to do with fatness. Look at me, I'm extremely lazy yet I can't gain a pound :p

EDIT: ok maybe not nothing but still excersize people damn!

:p I'm at that age (it ends at like 20 something yeah?) where I can eat anything and not gain a pound either.

Shaun
01-19-2006, 11:01 AM
...I knew it would be an American. It's really just as simple as that.

ljkkjlcm9
01-19-2006, 11:46 AM
I don't think Jared intended it as Nintendo got him fat, but the article tried to make it seem like that. That's called media Bias. The seem people who write these articles, are the ones who believe video games lead to violence, when for the most part, it's the opposite cause someone will play a game to relieve stress as opposed to actually doing it. Video games do not make one fat. Honestly, I sat at home for a month playing games and watching tv, and eating junk, but I also lost 8 pounds, and I didn't really have much weight to lose. The only thing that makes a person fat, is themself, hence my problem with America today, some people blame it on others, when you yourself are to blame. I hate seeing young fat people, it disgusts me that people can't take care of themselves better, ok yeah, some people have big frames, but you can tell the difference when someone is fat or just big.

THE JACKEL

Madame Adequate
01-19-2006, 12:42 PM
its fine, lern2diet

~SapphireStar~
01-19-2006, 01:25 PM
The guy should get on an exercise bike and play the DS that way. That or sell the DS.

MecaKane
01-19-2006, 01:56 PM
Jesus christ guys, get off the cross. He's saying "I got so fat because I played video games too much" And it's true, you there's not enough TV on for a lazy kid to be able to play and eat non-stop without getting bored with some of the shows. All he was trying to imply was "Don't play video games, while avoiding exercise, too much or you'll get fat" Because you fucking will!

Ultima_Weapon
01-19-2006, 02:21 PM
dam.. this is even worse than the woman sueing nike because her shoe laces were too long making her to trip and have an injury, lool too funny

Lindy
01-19-2006, 02:23 PM
Except there's no legal action involved, or him insulting games or anything.

He's just explaining how he became so fat.

It's funny how after the whole Jack Thompson thing, so many gamers are insanely defensive and any mention of games even in the same sentence as something bad is instantly posted on message boards and "ridiculed".

Epiphany
01-19-2006, 02:37 PM
It's funny how after the whole Jack Thompson thing, so many gamers are insanely defensive and any mention of games even in the same sentence as something bad is instantly posted on message boards and "ridiculed".

Devourment
01-19-2006, 03:39 PM

He's trying to imply that video games lead to laziness and obesity, which isn't remotely true. Laziness is a choice of one's self. Obesity in most cases is a choice of one's self. To blame it on an exterior medium is to pass the buck.That's quite funny really because I play on games half the day everyday & I'm not lazy & fat. So how would that work out? It's a person's own choice what food they plough into their own gob.

~SapphireStar~
01-19-2006, 04:33 PM
Don't play video games, while avoiding exercise,
Hence the reason I said to play the DS on an exercise machine. I play the Xbox sometimes when I exercised.

Rase
01-19-2006, 10:32 PM
Yeah, not really sure what the big deal is. The guy's saying "I played Nintendo and sat around eating junk food all day, and that got me fat". News Flash: To most people, that WILL happen. Unless you've got a fast metabolism, fatty foods + no exercise = extra weight. It hardly seems to me like he's blaming Nintendo for making him overweight. Nowhere in that article does he say "Nintendo made me fat", and if it's implied in anyway, it's probably because of the way it's written. Heck, if he wasn't overweight, he probably wouldn't have gone on the "Subway Diet" and became famous.

If anyone has a link to the actual article 1UP's quoting him from, I'd like to read that.

Vyk
01-20-2006, 02:21 AM
...I knew it would be an American. It's really just as simple as that.
And that has what to do with this?

ljkkjlcm9
01-20-2006, 03:07 AM
Heck, if he wasn't overweight, he probably wouldn't have gone on the "Subway Diet" and became famous.

That's true, he should probably thank Nintendo and his junk food habit for making him famous, and now he has, I'd say, a good amount of money haha

THE JACKEL

Kawaii Ryűkishi
01-20-2006, 04:58 AM
Pading (http://wafflehouseninja.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=6404021&publicUserId=5244814)

Xaven
01-20-2006, 05:47 AM
Video games got me skinny!

Well... one did anyway. (Dance Dance Revolution, anyone?)

He's trying to imply that video games lead to laziness and obesity, which isn't remotely true. Laziness is a choice of one's self. Obesity in most cases is a choice of one's self. To blame it on an exterior medium is to pass the buck. Okay, agreed.

The Man
01-20-2006, 05:48 AM
Pading (http://wafflehouseninja.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=6404021&publicUserId=5244814)
Winner of thread.

Clouded Sky
01-20-2006, 06:13 AM
(Dance Dance Revolution, anyone?)