PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone else a bit weary of this title . .

sam_justice
01-19-2006, 09:37 AM
To be honest, I'm not as keen with twelve as I was when the others released. I think Squaresoft joining with Enix might have ruined the franchise. Firstly, the number of spin-offs for VII in my opinion has ruined the essence of it. But back on track, 12. If it turns out to be a quest game like 11 and 10-2 then I fear SQUARESOFT might have ruined the franchise. The reasons I fell in love with these games was the sheer exploration factor and amazing story to go with it. Huge world maps to explore with immense freedom and an extremely solid storyline. The idea of bringing missions into it seems to me like the freedom is being cut out, like you HAVE to follow this certain part of the game to progress to the next. It seems as though SQUARESOFT are trying to attract different gamers to try and hook to the series, since the fact final fantasy fans are quite distinct, you either love the series or you detest them. Well anyway I'll stop babbling, but I'm sure many of you might feel the same way ?

a_dollar_20
01-19-2006, 01:46 PM
i Agree but u never know this game could be awsome or a total piece of crap

Ouch!
01-19-2006, 02:23 PM
What's wrong with trying to attract new gamers? They don't make Final Fantasy games to make loyal fans happy; they make the games to make money. If they can do something that will draw more people to them, that's a good thing. I don't see what the problem is.

Sure, FFXII is seeing a lot of change, but I hardly think it's a big deal. In fact, a lot of the change looks good. I love the new battle system (though that may be because I play FFXI). As far as the missions go, I think that's just a throwback to missions from Final Fantasy Tactics and Tactics Advance. Missions will probably advance the story, but if it plays like FFT or TA, you don't *have* to jump from mission to mission. There will be plenty of room for exploration and side quests through optional missions, I'm sure.

Also, isn't FFXII's world supposed to be absolutely enormous? If I'm not mistaken, the world is going to be similar to that of an online game. That means it'll be huge with lots of explorable areas. Not to mention cities won't be small blocks on the overworld map. Overworld maps always annoyed me.

So no, I'm not weary of the title. I'm looking forward to it.

Ultima_Weapon
01-19-2006, 02:24 PM
i fear square and enix could break up one day but who knows, there have been rumours that FFXII will be mission based game like FFX-2 which i have experienced from the demo and the list of missions it has to be done from the type of area your in. SquareEnix mabey wanted to go along with FFX-2 style of gameplay and improve it for 12....

Miriel
01-19-2006, 04:57 PM
From the look of things FFXII will have an amazing story and a huge exploration factor.

As for the missions, when has any Final Fantasy game not made you do certain things before you can progress to a different part of the game? I really don't think the missions will make the game as rigid as you think it'll be.

I'm looking forward to this game more than I was with any FF game in a long time.

sam_justice
01-19-2006, 07:30 PM
I can see some of your points, but in my personal opinion (feel free to disagree) I just don't think "they make 'em like they used to"

DJZen
01-19-2006, 11:11 PM
No, they don't. If they did, everyone would complain about how the games are all the same. People already say this about Dragon Quest. I'm looking forward to XII.

Frontier-
01-19-2006, 11:20 PM
i fully agree with sam, they've gone downhill and bad...I also miss the freedom of the old ff's, making mission, it just doesn't feel like an roleplaying game anymore, it's like a basic adventure game..:eep:

Vyk
01-20-2006, 01:22 AM
There was no freedom. I don't exactly know which ones you're calling old. But as far as I'm aware there was no such thing as side-quests in the original Final Fantasys (save FF1, which was a whole story revovling around sidequests and fetch-quests xD) And I agree. There has always been things you had to do to progress. And huge world maps to explore? Traverse maybe. But I don't think until FF8 did they really try to put a lot of extra stuff in the world map itself. And then what? FF10 did away with world maps entirely. Will 12 even have an overworld? From what I've gathered, there's a world map. But you walk across it quite a bit more realistically. Which is a huge plus. And the fact that not only are there no random encounters, but there's the availability to use tactics to your encounters. Goading enemies into fighting each other before you take out the weakend victor? Win! I'm more interested in this FF than I have been in any since FF8. I agree that they might have strayed from their roots. But that was the whole point from the beginning. FF2 had a story, it wasn't just a bunch of fetch quests like 1. 3 had the job system. That wasn't like FF2. And so on. Change is a good thing. You get fresh ideas that might make the game more fun, and at least a wholely different experience than its predicessor. Remember. The Final Fantasy franchise doesn't have direct sequals. They're stand-alone games. They have no requirement or obligation to be anything like any of their predicessors. This game may get me back into FF. Or it'll just be another stepping stone on my path away from the franchise. But at least they're attempting to spice things up to keep me, or draw in others. So props to them for the effort. Hurrah for attempts at innovation

Edit: Okay so there are some direct sequals. As for the saga of 7. I'm happy. I loved that world. I'll take every opportunity they give me to spend more time in it doing/seeing new things.

Fatal Impurity
01-20-2006, 11:29 AM
i think that the inclusion of the world map give the impression of not being linear whilst their mission based counterparts feel linear and restricted and that is what is driving people away....thats one of the reason that ive always loved ff....because of the world map! and thats also why i didnt enjoy ff10 as much as i could of....thats the thing about the world map it gives scope or opertunities to make multipath/ending ffs which branch out while the mission based ff would still seem linear even with multiple endings (remember ff10-2?)

Frontier-
01-20-2006, 01:25 PM
There was no freedom. I don't exactly know which ones you're calling old. But as far as I'm aware there was no such thing as side-quests in the original Final Fantasys (save FF1, which was a whole story revovling around sidequests and fetch-quests xD) And I agree. There has always been things you had to do to progress. And huge world maps to explore? Traverse maybe. But I don't think until FF8 did they really try to put a lot of extra stuff in the world map itself. And then what? FF10 did away with world maps entirely. Will 12 even have an overworld? From what I've gathered, there's a world map. But you walk across it quite a bit more realistically. Which is a huge plus. And the fact that not only are there no random encounters, but there's the availability to use tactics to your encounters. Goading enemies into fighting each other before you take out the weakend victor? Win! I'm more interested in this FF than I have been in any since FF8. I agree that they might have strayed from their roots. But that was the whole point from the beginning. FF2 had a story, it wasn't just a bunch of fetch quests like 1. 3 had the job system. That wasn't like FF2. And so on. Change is a good thing. You get fresh ideas that might make the game more fun, and at least a wholely different experience than its predicessor. Remember. The Final Fantasy franchise doesn't have direct sequals. They're stand-alone games. They have no requirement or obligation to be anything like any of their predicessors. This game may get me back into FF. Or it'll just be another stepping stone on my path away from the franchise. But at least they're attempting to spice things up to keep me, or draw in others. So props to them for the effort. Hurrah for attempts at innovation

Edit: Okay so there are some direct sequals. As for the saga of 7. I'm happy. I loved that world. I'll take every opportunity they give me to spend more time in it doing/seeing new things.

And with old i mean of course, FF4-9 and so on...not 10 cuz it also was "lineary" which i hated too...no world map :( yeah omegaweapon,i don't also like multiple endings that just sucks..

a nirvana fan
01-20-2006, 08:29 PM
i Agree but u never know this game could be awsome or a total piece of crap

You said it...I personally think it's going to be really good.

tidus_rox
01-20-2006, 10:06 PM
well there might be missions in it but they might put them in there so it dosnt ruin the game. The missions might be fun and exciting and not just idiotic filler like in x2

Frontier-
01-21-2006, 11:38 AM
well there might be missions in it but they might put them in there so it dosnt ruin the game. The missions might be fun and exciting and not just idiotic filler like in x2

You're maybe right, and i hope you're :D

At least i liked the theme song "kiss me goodbye".

yunafan11
01-22-2006, 01:51 AM
I dunno. I think the games are good. I mean, people say that 10 and 10-2 really bombed, but I like the story line that goes with it. Plus, they have good imagry (sp?) in the cut scenes now, I mean, remember the cut scenes in 7? Do you really want those back? It just looks better now. And 12 looks pretty good to me.

boys from the dwarf
02-03-2006, 04:26 PM
im pretty fine with most of the FF7 spin offs but some of them werent good ideas. im very confident that sqare-enix wont create anything as bad as FFX-2 ever again. sqaresoft turning into sqare-enix was probly for the best but seems as the company was new they were bound to make a few mistakes but FF12 should easily make up for some of the bad things theyve created. im looking forwards to it.

Desert Merchant
02-03-2006, 05:05 PM
The thing I dont like about the mission style games is that you need to follow a guide otherwise you miss some stupid detail and do not get to see the full story...ahem cough X-2

DMKA
02-03-2006, 06:13 PM
I was until I played the demo. I'm super excited for this game and the demo and trailers combined have convinced me that it's going to be among the best in the series.

--One Winged Angel--
02-03-2006, 09:33 PM
yeah i cant wait for this game, from what iv seen its huge, and no random encouters im looking forward to. its gunna add alot more depth to the game, learning how best to evade enemies and such.

Ouch!
02-03-2006, 11:28 PM
The thing I dont like about the mission style games is that you need to follow a guide otherwise you miss some stupid detail and do not get to see the full story...ahem cough X-2

That was only because FFX-2 had multiple endings. As far as I know, FFXII does not have multiple endings so it's highly unlikely that you'll miss parts of the plot because you forgot to press X at the right time. There will probably be side quests that expand on the plot in some way, but that's nothing new.

lady yunalesca
02-25-2006, 11:53 PM
the only thing different about having mission based gaming is that you dont get to fly around in an airship (which i did love)! in previous ff games you controlled the ship yourself, in X, x-2 and by the seems of it xii you choose your destination from a list, so really the flying around the world map is the only difference. you still have a limited number of places to go at the outset,but there are still hidden areas to explore. the only things i miss from some of the earlier ff games is being able to run around the world map leveling up and saving freely!!! (plus i couldnt wait to find out what would be hidden in the far reaches of the ocean when you finally get the airship) :)

Savannah
02-26-2006, 01:15 AM
The whole business about world maps seems utterly ridiculous to me-- in all the games I played that had them, VI-X (X did have one, by the way, for those of you who missed that part of the game where you climb into Cid's airship and, if you want, explore all of Spira), it added absolutely nothing to the game. Even though it gave a sense of wandering the land wild and free, the locations were still sparse, you still had to follow a set pattern of missions to unlock most of them, and every few steps you had to stop and engage in tedious battle. To me, this never really added anything extra to the element of exploration involved in the games. The only difference is that you could see the places in your journey ahead of time rather than being led to them chronologically (which, to me, makes more sense-- if you're on a mission to save a character, for instance, how realistic is it that the group goes to play a chocobo side-quest game instead?).

I think you're all bitching about an element of the games that really doesn't make them what they are-- play FFXII first and see what the changes do to the experience before you start crying about how the series is ruined.

Captain Maxx Power
02-26-2006, 01:26 AM
For the last time, the Squenix partnership doesn't mean that Enix works on Square games and vice versa. Imagine the chaos that would ensure. Simply put the two entities exsist as a whole and get to stick their seal of approval on either party's games. Plus we get to say Squenix, and who doesn't like saying Squenix?

As for FF12 itself, yes I'm excited. Probably not as excited as I am over Oblivion (which quite frankly is going to make LIFE obsolete when it comes out), but still pretty pumped up. Let's just say it's my number one console release game of (hopefully) this year.

Machinegun
02-26-2006, 06:09 AM
I was until I played the demo. I'm super excited for this game and the demo and trailers combined have convinced me that it's going to be among the best in the series.

Because of the demo, I plan on using my FFXII funds to buy a Nobuteru Yuki doujinshi. The battle system was horrible. I like the idea of traps, but setting any of your other two characters on this 'gambit' and kind of (NOTE: KIND OF) controlling your own guy is way too similar to an MMORPG or FFXI. Okay it's not 'way too similar' but it's the exact battle system as FFXI; almost gave it too much credit there.

Graphics wise, yes it will be the best. But as for gameplay and battles, set two characters on gambit and then set the other character on attack and it will loop until the enemy is dead. As for you the 'controlling' factor, go make a sandwich; at least that'll be more entertaining.

DeathKnight
02-26-2006, 06:56 AM
Comparing this game to X and X-2 is COMPLETELY wrong. Why are we not so hyped 'bout this game?

It's not the gameplay, fuck the gameplay. When have we ever cared 'bout the gameplay BEFORE the games even came out??? I NEVER EVER remember FF fans ever bitching 'bout the fighting systems BEFORE the games even came out.

We're complaing 'bout the game 'cause of this:
Female protagonist: Nothing like Yuna, Rinoa, Tifa. Poor background story........and doesn't have the girly female appearence of feel.
http://www.ffnet.org/images/ashe.jpg

Male protagonist: Poor attempt at making a "Kingdom Hearts" kind of Sora. Looks girly, bad clothing design. Doesn't look like he can coquer Ashe at ALL.
http://www.ffcrystals.limited-chaos.com/ffxii/characters/Vaan.jpg

Larsa-Gay looking character who CAN be fun.............but just looks and feels like he's gonna be a joke of a character. I would've preferred if he was female:eep:
http://www.ffxii.com/blogPhotos/1_thumb.jpg

Balflear-The one we all hoped was the lead character..............the one who looks more kick ass and seems to have a better background story and all.
http://www.ffcrystals.limited-chaos.com/ffxii/characters/Balflear.jpg

The ONLY thing that could save this game is a great story...........we'll have to see.
*KUPO! damn*:mog:

Machinegun
02-26-2006, 07:25 AM
Man I've bitched about battle mechanics ever since battles take up 90% of my time ingame. But I'm not a Final Fantasy fanatic so I'm looking at the game based on MY standards. Not simply because it is a Final Fantasy title.

The ONLY thing that could save this game is a great story...........we'll have to see.

Amen.

Worst phrase ever...A sky pirate, he flies the skies of Ivalice. Well, SE I wonder what else a sky pirate would do. Thanks for pointing out the obvious.

DMKA
02-26-2006, 07:35 AM
It's not the gameplay, smurf the gameplay. When have we ever cared 'bout the gameplay BEFORE the games even came out??? I NEVER EVER remember FF fans ever bitching 'bout the fighting systems BEFORE the games even came out.
Yes, but you see, that's just it; we never HAD a completely different battle system before. FF is known and loved/hated for it's turn-based battle system. This is the first game where they've completely changed the battle system to real time MMORPG-ish fighting, hence all the bitching. I thought I was going to hate it until I played the demo.

Because of the demo, I plan on using my FFXII funds to buy a Nobuteru Yuki doujinshi. The battle system was horrible. I like the idea of traps, but setting any of your other two characters on this 'gambit' and kind of (NOTE: KIND OF) controlling your own guy is way too similar to an MMORPG or FFXI. Okay it's not 'way too similar' but it's the exact battle system as FFXI; almost gave it too much credit there.

Graphics wise, yes it will be the best. But as for gameplay and battles, set two characters on gambit and then set the other character on attack and it will loop until the enemy is dead. As for you the 'controlling' factor, go make a sandwich; at least that'll be more entertaining.
Yes, because all there is to a Final Fantasy is it's battle system.

Vivisteiner
02-26-2006, 01:53 PM
To be honest, I'm not as keen with twelve as I was when the others released. I think Squaresoft joining with Enix might have ruined the franchise. Firstly, the number of spin-offs for VII in my opinion has ruined the essence of it. But back on track, 12. If it turns out to be a quest game like 11 and 10-2 then I fear SQUARESOFT might have ruined the franchise. The reasons I fell in love with these games was the sheer exploration factor and amazing story to go with it. Huge world maps to explore with immense freedom and an extremely solid storyline. The idea of bringing missions into it seems to me like the freedom is being cut out, like you HAVE to follow this certain part of the game to progress to the next. It seems as though SQUARESOFT are trying to attract different gamers to try and hook to the series, since the fact final fantasy fans are quite distinct, you either love the series or you detest them. Well anyway I'll stop babbling, but I'm sure many of you might feel the same way ?
I disagree. This story has shown complexity which far outstrips FFX (a great game) and probably most other FFs. I'm pretty confident there will be loads of space to roam in- definately more than FFX. There has been no confirmation of missions. Just because the demo had missions does not imply this game will be at all mission based. There are bound to be some decent side quests, and you will probly have a large spaces to roam in (although not a world map). The battle system at first looked disappointing but now I think the wait mode is gonna be far better than annoying random battles. The battle system allows for choice to suit you. During important battles, where you may need to control all charcters you have the option to do so. Yet the the gambit is useful for other battles. So far, in my opinion, this game is goin to be the best at everything apart from characters. Well Im just gonna cross my fingers and wait for the japanese reviews. I'll be shocked if any review gives it under 90.

Savannah
02-26-2006, 09:14 PM
Female protagonist: Nothing like Yuna, Rinoa, Tifa. Poor background story........and doesn't have the girly female appearence of feel.

Why do you want her to be just like the other female characters that came before her? That's ridiculous and it would get old really fast. And... she isn't girly enough? Are you serious? If that's what you're looking for in a video game character, maybe you should invest in a more shallow game. As for her background (and all the other characters'), we know almost nothing about her-- all we have is a paragraph or two about her history. It's silly to base your opinion of her "background" on this. Play the game before you actually decide what any of the characters are like.

Male protagonist: Poor attempt at making a "Kingdom Hearts" kind of Sora. Looks girly, bad clothing design. Doesn't look like he can coquer Ashe at ALL.

Get used to the girly guys. This is what's big in Japan right now, this is what they think Japanese people want to see. And... he isn't supposed to conquer Ashe.

Larsa-Gay looking character who CAN be fun.............but just looks and feels like he's gonna be a joke of a character. I would've preferred if he was female:eep:

Again, you're making a superficial assumption with very little to go on. Again, wait till you play the damn game and actually see what he and everyone else is like.

Bottom line: you don't know enough about any of these characters to make any kinds of judgments on them. Your assumptions are nothing but illogical pessimism. I'm getting really sick of that attitude toward this game and I can't really figure out what it's done to warrant it.

Shadow The Red XIII Thing
02-26-2006, 10:06 PM
Its quite obvious that DeathKnight is superficial so his opininon is for the epole who dont even play FF and thinks the charachters look good on the cover

DeathKnight
02-27-2006, 01:26 AM
Its quite obvious that DeathKnight is superficial so his opininon is for the epole who dont even play FF and thinks the charachters look good on the cover

Please stop insulting my opinions and leave me a lone k?:choc2:

One of these days you'll get banned my friend.

Azure Chrysanthemum
02-27-2006, 01:28 AM
Shadow The Red XIII Thing we do NOT speak to other members like that. If I see much more of it I will ban you.

DeathKnight, there is no need to respond to such comments. A simple warning is enough.

auhin
02-28-2006, 12:39 AM
Yeah, I'm not really looking forward to the game much. It looks too realistic. I'd rather have an old-style game, like IX.

CrimeofPassion
02-28-2006, 12:55 AM
Conquer Ashe?

I hope you don't mean what I think you do...in any case, that's a pretty sexist and disturbing comment. I certainly don't want any man to conquer me. XD

I find "pretty" men to be attractive - to be honest, overly-masculine guys get on my nerves. I don't want another "ZOMG I has a HUGE sword111 l00k at my awezome mussles" hero.

boys from the dwarf
02-28-2006, 08:01 AM
deathknights opinions are unfair to the game in my opinion. i think you must be thinking that ever since sqare turned into sqare enix all of its games will be bad. you have very little evidence to back up your claims about characters personality and to me it seems like it will be a good game. did you doubt FF6,7,8,9 ,10 E.C.T when they came out? i dont think any FF fan on this website did, so why all of the doubt about this?

Markus. D
02-28-2006, 11:32 AM
people seem to be judging it from a beta demo.

dont forget, theres a storyline in this aswell.

and the battle system pwns.

FFXII>ALL FF

anacacia
02-28-2006, 02:14 PM
Well, I am looking forwored to it. I played the demo, I don't like the battle system, but you never know, though they delayed it all this time, it might be better then it looks. Looks can be deceaving, but don't judge a book... or game... by its cover.

Flying Mullet
02-28-2006, 02:22 PM
I think Squaresoft joining with Enix might have ruined the franchise.

The reasons I fell in love with these games was the sheer exploration factor and amazing story to go with it. Huge world maps to explore with immense freedom and an extremely solid storyline.
I just had to laugh at the irony in these two statements. Enix games, namely Dragon Quest/Warrior, have always had much more exploration and freedom to adventure than any Final Fantasy game. Also, the storylines in later Final Fantasies are hardly solid. There are huge debates to this day about key points in the stories of FFVII and FFVIII. The stories in Dragon Quest/Warrior might not be as extravagant and imaginative, but they are very solid and understandable.

Markus. D
02-28-2006, 02:31 PM
By the way!

I hope people dont judge the battle system from lv 1 and call it crap, because it always is until you start learning stuff ^_^

boys from the dwarf
02-28-2006, 04:31 PM
you cant judge a game by its demo anyway. the demo is no where near enough to actually judge the game by.

Dreddz
02-28-2006, 08:21 PM
I wouldnt be too worried. Final Fantasy is such a huge franchise, Square wouldnt allow the series to drop, so Im pretty sure they will check every aspect of the game before they release it, they have to know its up to there standards.
So even if you arent liking what your seeing so far, Im sure Square will know what they are doing......

Jessweeee♪
02-28-2006, 10:46 PM
It's not looking very exciting, but none of them ever did.
I do miss the World Map though...I think my favorite was the one on VIII

Captain Maxx Power
02-28-2006, 11:47 PM
Also, the storylines in later Final Fantasies are hardly solid. There are huge debates to this day about key points in the stories of FFVII and FFVIII. The stories in Dragon Quest/Warrior might not be as extravagant and imaginative, but they are very solid and understandable.

The same principal could be applied to prove that Atlas Shrugged is inferior to Spot the Dog.

Flying Mullet
03-01-2006, 01:14 PM
It is.

Gnostic Yevon
03-03-2006, 02:07 AM
Well, complexity doesn't mean interesting. I've read plenty of fanfics with incomprehensible plots, and they sucked.

Anyway, to topic. I'm pretty disapointed in the story -- it seems to be a fairly close copy of the FFVI back story. The gameplay while it looks to be decent, is a copy of the FFXI system.

DeathKnight
03-03-2006, 02:33 AM
Well, complexity doesn't mean interesting. I've read plenty of fanfics with incomprehensible plots, and they sucked.

Anyway, to topic. I'm pretty disapointed in the story -- it seems to be a fairly close copy of the FFVI back story. The gameplay while it looks to be decent, is a copy of the FFXI system.

To make it worse....the characters don't seem to have a charm in them, well except for Balflear, Fran, and Penelo..................Ashe and Vaan are a complete waste.........well at least from what I've read and seen.:mog:

Azure Chrysanthemum
03-03-2006, 06:57 AM
The storyline is by the same guy who did Final Fantasy Tactics, my utmost favorite Final Fantasy game. He also did Vagrant Story, which I haven't gotten too far into yet but I have heard many good things about. I'm not at all worried about the story.

And in response to the "Vaan is too girly" comments that get bandied around a lot, one word: Sephiroth.

Anyway, I'm going to get this. I'd probably be really excited about it if it hadn't been delayed for so long. But right now, Disgaea 2 has priority. I'm still looking forward to this game and I do think it will be quite good.

DeathKnight
03-04-2006, 04:52 AM
The storyline is by the same guy who did Final Fantasy Tactics, my utmost favorite Final Fantasy game. He also did Vagrant Story, which I haven't gotten too far into yet but I have heard many good things about. I'm not at all worried about the story.

And in response to the "Vaan is too girly" comments that get bandied around a lot, one word: Sephiroth.

Anyway, I'm going to get this. I'd probably be really excited about it if it hadn't been delayed for so long. But right now, Disgaea 2 has priority. I'm still looking forward to this game and I do think it will be quite good.

Yeah I agree, the story might be even better than I think it is. Maybe it'll kick ass, the Summons are the main thing that have me hyped up for this game................I just can't stand Vaan and Ashe, well at least Balflear will make the game better.
Sephiroth would be even worse.
I NEVER liked Sephiroth, he's just a boring SHOW OFF, who'd get totally beat up by Auron and other better characters.

Savannah
03-04-2006, 08:47 AM
The same principal could be applied to prove that Atlas Shrugged is inferior to Spot the Dog.

Not really.

In this case, I think Flying is referring to the plotholes in the story, not complexity. Dragon Quest didn't try to do anything fancy with their storylines, thus making them more solid and enjoyable, if a little more dumbed down.

I could be wrong, though.

Hikoshi
03-04-2006, 01:30 PM
To make it worse....the characters don't seem to have a charm in them, well except for Balflear, Fran, and Penelo..................Ashe and Vaan are a complete waste.........well at least from what I've read and seen.:mog:

And still, not alot about these characters have been released, so by judging them too much before the game is even released is jumping the gun a little, in my opinion at least.

As for the demo, people seem to forget that although they are used to give prospective buyers, and fans for the franchise a small taster/teaser for the game, they are also used as tech demos for feedback on the progress so far, and rarely contain the full features of the actual game.

Also, with the missions, which I hope they don't do in the same still as FFX-2 as they just felt forced, it could just be a way of giving a taster for the game, and they might not be included in such a way at all.

friscodude
03-23-2006, 02:52 AM
Me, I personally think this will be the best Final Fantasy ever. They finally replaced the old, repetitive summons ( Ifrit, Shiva, Bahamut, etc.) with new, and in my opinion, more aesthetically impressive ones. No random encounters is grand in my opinion. Much more realistic. The battle system looks like fun, but I can't judge it yet. The license grid looks to be nicely implemented as well, allowing for a multitude of customization.

I'm personally quite confused and in the blank on the storyline. All that I know is there is a war between Archadia and some other country, which envelops Dalmasca. This is probably good though, and will end up providing a better experience- better shockers and plot twists. :cool:

The only other thing I can say I love is the option to take on sidequests, go monster hunting, etc. It seems to provide more content, and the ability to just take time off from the story to go explore and gain new licenses and equipment for your characters.

Previous Final Fantasies were plagued with the random battle syndrome, and I can't pull myself through FFVIII. Junctioning is a pain in the neck- I dont see the fun in having to sit in battle for 10 minutes to get enough of a spell to survive a boss fight. After FFVI, most didnt seem to have much sidequest content that didnt require use of chocobos (which I despise).

Final Fantasy XII just seems to be a great revival for a declining series and will hopefully open up the saga for new players. Hopefully more RPG's will transition to the action-RPG system, or at least depart from the standard, press-X-until-dead syndrome.

Padgeman
03-23-2006, 08:00 PM
They finally replaced the old, repetitive summons ( Ifrit, Shiva, Bahamut, etc.) with new, and in my opinion, more aesthetically impressive ones.

Hmm I think it'll be weird not using the old FF summons, although FFX did introduce Valefor and Ixion which I loved so meh, I guess I'll see!

As for a World Map, I think they really add nothing to the game at all, I loved FFXs style of travelling around and didn't miss the word map one bit, I found it more realistic than going round on an unscaled landmass getting into annoyingly tedious battles whilst travelling from one place to an almost indentical new place! The only bonus to WorldMaps was FFIXs Chocobo Hot and Cold SubGame which I loved!

Im not looking forward to FFXII as much as I did FFX, but I'll still have a whoooole lotta excitement come November!

Ari
03-23-2006, 11:20 PM
I'm so looking forward to this. I don't care if you have to walk around on a map like on final fantasy tactics. I just want to enjoy the game. I'm sure I will.

anacacia
03-24-2006, 12:11 AM
I'm just going to say this... though it may be a little off topic. But does anyone knotice how the characters are getting to look like girls more and more... even the guys? *cringe* That might be one of the things I find odd about the game. I mean, I agree the Demo is probobly way different from the game, so on so forth. But I'm getting a little tired of the characters looking the same. I like the idea that they mixed a bunny rabbit with a human (Yeah... thats how I look at it) Thats creative stuff there. But, I remember the days when everyone could summon aeons and GF's, but now only 1 person? Don't get me wrong, I love the games, but now they are getting a little the same. Will this one have a great story line like the others? Or will it just be a dud? Wait and see my friends... wait and see.

Padgeman
03-24-2006, 12:50 AM
I think everyone will be able to summon, they just have to get the license for summoning and, obviously, get the summon! (summon summon summon :P)

And someone said earlier that they all look like girls because thats the trend In Japan right now! Not sure whether that'll catch on here :S

Savannah
03-24-2006, 04:18 AM
I'm just going to say this... though it may be a little off topic. But does anyone knotice how the characters are getting to look like girls more and more... even the guys? *cringe*

Yes. It's been addressed many, many, manymanymany times. In this thread, even.

Death Penalty
03-24-2006, 04:24 AM
Everyone can summon a summon but they can only summon one.

Ramza Beoulve
03-24-2006, 05:22 AM
I'm just going to say this... though it may be a little off topic. But does anyone knotice how the characters are getting to look like girls more and more... even the guys? *cringe* That might be one of the things I find odd about the game. I mean, I agree the Demo is probobly way different from the game, so on so forth. But I'm getting a little tired of the characters looking the same. I like the idea that they mixed a bunny rabbit with a human (Yeah... thats how I look at it) Thats creative stuff there. But, I remember the days when everyone could summon aeons and GF's, but now only 1 person? Don't get me wrong, I love the games, but now they are getting a little the same. Will this one have a great story line like the others? Or will it just be a dud? Wait and see my friends... wait and see.

Wait and see my friend... wait and see.:D

Padgeman
03-26-2006, 09:30 PM
Official Playstation 2 Magazine in the UK did a little monitor thing of FFXII this month and they only rated it 3/5 on their "Hot or Not" scale, saying stuff like "Has Square knacked the most famous RPG of all?" and saying its "an uncomfortable compromise between turn-based and real-time combat". Lets hope it's not as bad as they think :S Still a long wait tho...

Jir11
04-02-2006, 08:46 AM
Comparing this game to X and X-2 is COMPLETELY wrong. Why are we not so hyped 'bout this game?

It's not the gameplay, smurf the gameplay. When have we ever cared 'bout the gameplay BEFORE the games even came out??? I NEVER EVER remember FF fans ever bitching 'bout the fighting systems BEFORE the games even came out.

We're complaing 'bout the game 'cause of this:
http://www.ffnet.org/images/ashe.jpg

http://www.ffcrystals.limited-chaos.com/ffxii/characters/Vaan.jpg

http://www.ffxii.com/blogPhotos/1_thumb.jpg

Balflear-The one we all hoped was the lead character..............the one who looks more kick ass and seems to have a better background story and all.
http://www.ffcrystals.limited-chaos.com/ffxii/characters/Balflear.jpg

Well that's because for the most part the battle system of the FF series has been similar for the past 17 years till now. Anyway when I tried the demo for the first time I didn't like the battle system and how it felt. However I've played the demo several times now to try and get the feel for the battle system and I have to tell you guys that you get used to it. I'm not saying I prefer this system, but I feel that it's not too bad once you get the hang of it. I do however agree with alot of people that this type of battle system doesn't let you control your characters in a strategic sense (ie you have to rush through your choices or set the gambit system). But as I said before you get used to the battle system and hopefully the final product will have a tweaked battle system and it will feel more like you are in control of your characters and not like you are in chaos everytime you encounter and fight the enemy. :)

Goose
04-04-2006, 03:40 AM
This game... is a lot different so we have more things to "Bitch" about... we don't know if its going to be good and a lot of us don't like change... I like the new battle system and hope that its a great game with a great story.