PDA

View Full Version : Hometown Traditions?

SammieBabe
01-19-2006, 03:06 PM
So every year in Tampa we have this big event called Gasparilla. They have this fake pirate invasion in downtown, where they even 'kidnap' the mayor and such. Then they have this big parade where they throw beads, the beer flows like water, and women feel the overwhelming need to show their 'assets'...:rolleyes2
Throughout the entire month of February they have other events associated with Gasparilla. Marathons, Charity Art Shows, Children's Day. Then the tour de force is the Knight Parade, which is basically an amped up version of the other parade.
IMO, its kinda like if pirates took over Mardi Gras...

Does your town have any yearly traditions or the like?

Rusty
01-19-2006, 03:10 PM
We have a Crab Festival every March in Mandurah. We have local stalls, entertainment, fireworks etc. Crabs. If you go to the Crab Festival you have to eat a Crab. Since there is a whole area filled with cooked crabs, you'll have no trouble finding one. The Crab Festival is so much fun.

Doomie
01-19-2006, 03:16 PM
I'm allergic to crab.

fire_of_avalon
01-19-2006, 03:23 PM
Mars Hill has the Mountain Heritage Festival and the Lamar Lunsford Festival, both of which bring out bands, food vendors, arts and crafts people and more "down home" entertainment, including cloggers. Hot Springs, which isn't my home town but I do go there when I am home, has Trailfest in April which is a little different. Hot Springs is very toursity, and is an official stop on the Appalachain Trail. April is around the time the hikers and hippies make it to Hot Springs, so they hold a festival as well as special deals on the bed and breakfasts and the spa. There's also crazy live music, and Thai chicken with peanut sauce.

Chapel Hill as a town doesn't have much that I know of, but there's always some kind of traditional thing on campus.

Chris
01-19-2006, 03:49 PM
Denmark:

Roskilde has something called "Roskilde Night" which is a festival at night with different themes each year. It's pretty nice to walk around town at night! Plus all the stores are open the entire night!

Philippines:

Iloilo has MANY traditions, I'm not going to list them all...just a few. Dinagyang (festival) which is great. Dinagyang has everything, parades through town with native tribes, and food! LOTS of food. :love:

a nirvana fan
01-19-2006, 04:28 PM
We have nothing really, apart from xmas where "santa" comes but I think that happens everywhere.

Zeldy
01-19-2006, 04:31 PM
Around Christmas Santa drives around my area :love:

Chris
01-19-2006, 04:36 PM
Around Christmas Santa drives around my area :love:
I guess that's something only you see? :(

edczxcvbnm
01-19-2006, 04:40 PM
I am from the southside of Chicago and as we all know we South Side Irish are proud to be Irish so St. Patrick's Day is a HUGE deal here. They die they river green, a parade and lots of booze.

Then in the summer there is the Taste of Chicago.

In my specific town of Flossmoor there is an annual thing called Flossmoor Fest. And in our neighboring town there is Homewood Days. They are crap as far as I am concerned.

Obstacle
01-19-2006, 04:42 PM
In Brighton, south coast england, we have gay pride. Big parade. Lots of floats and lots of people dancing around dressed as superwomen. 'tis larks for all.

Dreddz
01-19-2006, 04:49 PM
The Nottinghill Festival in London is great, I look forward to it every year.

Shaun
01-19-2006, 04:51 PM
Erm, what traditions does this craphole have? Eh...heheheh.

Old Manus
01-19-2006, 05:22 PM
No way

The Summoner of Leviathan
01-19-2006, 05:22 PM
Let's see. Well there is always a winter carnival in GlenLevit, besides that in Campbellton there is the Salmon Festival. Basically a summer festival where they have a street party, a circus, and different stuff. It usually is fun but in the last few yers it got quite boring.

Shoden
01-19-2006, 05:27 PM
There's the Mouth of the Tyne Festival where there's a massive party down by the beach and we get smashed.

There's the Tall ships race where loads of massive ships enter the Tyne for a few days.

DMKA
01-19-2006, 08:05 PM
My original Hometown, as in where I was born, was Torrance, CA. The only "tradition" I can think of was that our [slightly ghetto] neighborhood would get together with the middle school kids and share all their illegally obtained Mexican fireworks on the 4th of July.

Yeah, that's it.

Rye
01-19-2006, 08:07 PM
That is so cool. My Hometown of Maspeth, Queens had a GIANT block party, like in the main streets, for blocks and blocks. It's so cool. :) This town, it has a homecoming where stupid people march to the high school from the library in all their stupidity. Because this town is stupid.

Lost Number
01-19-2006, 08:11 PM
This 2 day festival called the Oul Lammas Fair (in Ballycast-le-oh).
Just an excuse to buy dulse, yellow man, and Armalites.

themagicroundabout
01-19-2006, 08:20 PM
They call it a Flower Festival, it basically involves big flowers being paraded around everywhere and people getting stoned. :)

Psychotic
01-19-2006, 10:14 PM
My hometown has some great traditions, such as the Annual Incest Festival, or the Hourly Chav Moron Parade, slashing some tyres near you!

MortalKitten
01-19-2006, 10:26 PM
Obstacle: I come from Birmingham, We have Gay Pride too! Or had should I say, don't live there anymore. Isn't it the greatest fun? We had more than just superwoman though :P

Anaisa
01-19-2006, 10:30 PM
Erm, what traditions does this craphole have? Eh...heheheh.
Manchester has a beauty show once a year where you can see hordes of tacky women with the smallest eyebrows, and the orangest fake tans, the world has ever seen. The only saving grace is that im there. If I wasn't there, even if you got every woman in the room to put there eyebrows together, you probably still wouldn't be able to make even half a proper eyebrow.

Shlup
01-19-2006, 10:49 PM
There's a parade in Corona, but I think that's it. I was in it once!

Shoden
01-19-2006, 11:49 PM
there's the catherine cookson festival where about 10-50 floats drive into st bents park and some bands sing there back in 1999 the Spice Girls sung there, I didn't have a sniper rifle though.

There's the Sunderland Airshow where loads of cool army jets fly around and you get to do all sorts even fly in a plain.

kikimm
01-20-2006, 12:43 AM
We don't have anything. Not even block parties. Not that that depresses me, but jeez. I guess none of us really want to get out and socialize with each other. :D

Epiphany
01-20-2006, 01:14 AM
My hometown in Michigan had what they call the Venetian Festival. It's this biiig festival on the water, with tons of live bands and fireworks. It's usually done really well but last year they messed up and a firework flew at my brother and his girlfriend, and they are both now deaf in one ear. It ended up impaling some guy through the leg, so I won't be going to Venetian anymore. B)

rubah
01-20-2006, 01:18 AM
We got Butterfield Days.

It's an old pioneery day featuring the museum (haha, we have a museum!) and the old Butterfield Stagecoach line.

All I care about is marching in the parade, really.

Shadow The Red XIII Thing
01-20-2006, 01:26 AM
celebrate mardi gras:D
I would like to say I remember something besides drunk people stripping but I dont.:p
I like to get drunk every year a tradition I started when I was 13.:cool:

Shoeberto
01-20-2006, 01:42 AM
Annie Oakley days. My town being her birthplace and such. Yeah, you probably have no clue who she is, but it's a big deal to people here.

(haha, we have a museum!)
o snap so do we.

Leeza
01-20-2006, 02:06 AM
We have a Salmon Festival every year with a three-day Salmon Derby. Person with the biggest catch gets up to $25,000, depending on the year and how much money they have to give away.

Madame Adequate
01-20-2006, 02:12 AM
Annie Oakley days. My town being her birthplace and such. Yeah, you probably have no clue who she is, but it's a big deal to people here.

Phoebe Ann Mozee was a way better name, frankly. But yeah, Oakley was pretty har'core.

Uhm, we have nothing. At all. Ever.

Someone may have... no, that was Birmingham they did that...

Heero Yuy NWZC
01-20-2006, 02:19 AM
Nothin here really. i live in Powell, Wyoming with a population of 5, 000. last June i lived in San Antonio(that's my hometown). and i think u were talking about mardi gras for that second tradition Sammiebabe.

oh, we do have a pretty crazy ass homecoming game and dance.

SammieBabe
01-20-2006, 01:10 PM
and i think u were talking about mardi gras for that second tradition Sammiebabe.

Oh no, I was talking about Tampa, Florida. We actually have two Mardi Gras-esque festivals every year. The one I mentioned is in February, called Gasparilla. We literally have drunk rich people who dress up like pirates, come in on a big pirate ship, and stage a takeover of the city. Then everyone proceeds to drink until the sun comes up.
Then, the weekend before Halloween, we have Guavaween, which is very similar to Gasparilla, just not with pirates....

rubah
01-20-2006, 02:02 PM

o snap so do we.
Russellville doesn't though 8)

and i think u were talking about mardi gras for that second tradition Sammiebabe.

Oh no, I was talking about Tampa, Florida. We actually have two Mardi Gras-esque festivals every year. The one I mentioned is in February, called Gasparilla. We literally have drunk rich people who dress up like pirates, come in on a big pirate ship, and stage a takeover of the city. Then everyone proceeds to drink until the sun comes up.
Then, the weekend before Halloween, we have Guavaween, which is very similar to Gasparilla, just not with pirates....
Mardi Gras is just the name of a day. The celebrations go far beyond New Orleans.
Not to mention Carnival also~