PDA

View Full Version : School newspapers

Rye
01-19-2006, 09:48 PM
How do you like your high school (or Middle School, I suppose) newspaper? Is it good, decent or trash like the middle school paper was when I went to Junior High. :)

We just got our second edition school newspaper. I suppose it's decent, but some articles are AWFUL. Especially this one article made by this dumb girl named Danielle who is obsessed with herself and fashion. *copies and pastes from LJ because I'm lazy~*

"Just make sure you follow these rules and you will look great this season!

Do-

Wear bohemian styled clothing (those really WEIRD pants that are huge and UGLY)
Put flowers in your hair
Wear sundresses
Wear flats
Wear vintage tees
Wear floral patterns
Cuff your jeans
Wear longer skirts (The one thing I agree with)
Wear gauchos with everything from fitted knit tops to boots and sweaters (Uh what?)

Don't -

Wear heels bigger than 3 inches (Short people want to be taller)
Hide yourself in baggy clothing (It's better to wear baggy clothing than to wear pants and shirts 4 sizes too small just so you can say you'ra a size 6 or lower, so your fat is hanging out, like HER (the writer of the article) friends do.)
Wear sneakers with skirts
Wear ponchos"

I threw in a few comments, as you can see. ;) But yeah, it was dumb. There were some good articles though, about Advanced Placement Art, Senior-itis and how MTV warps expectations of Sweet Sixteens and how people in my town who were born here/lived their most of their life think this is the center of the world and are seriously flawed in that way. :) I liked that last one.

~SapphireStar~
01-19-2006, 09:51 PM
We never got a newspaper, just a pointless newsletter every Friday. We had to show the teacher we were putting it in our bags cause it was just stuff for the sporty kids and parents to read. I had my name mentioned once or twice when I appeared in the Christmas plays. We didnt have the rules printed on it, we had a journal specially for that use and it had to be with us all week. You got detention if you left it at home ...
I dont miss any of it :D

XxSephirothxX
01-19-2006, 09:52 PM
I've written for my school newspaper for three years. Overall it was pretty much a piece of crap, with the exception of two sections: Entertainment (My section) and Opinions. The rest of the paper was made up of News, Features, and Sports. Most of the articles in those sections were poorly written and received drab layouts, while the rest were decent and sometimes even above par. I liked the class, though, because the teacher was nice, we had lots of free time to surf the net, I got to write about what I wanted, and it'll look good for my resume, since I want to go into Journalism. Plus, it was oh-so easy.

Lost Number
Our school does "Loreto Lore". Some of the drawings are good. I have created a large FF fanbase in the art classes so thats popular.
The best bits are the pics of the teachers. Our chemistry teacher pissed. Hilarious.

Dreddz
We never got a newspaper, just a pointless newsletter every Friday. We had to show the teacher we were putting it in our bags cause it was just stuff for the sporty kids and parents to read. I had my name mentioned once or twice

Rye
01-19-2006, 09:54 PM
The one good thing about the paper is the layout is quite good. Last year, I was on the newspaper for a short while and made a page's layout. But then, it was an afterschool thing rather than a class, so no one did anything and the paper broke up.

Zeldy
01-19-2006, 09:55 PM
We have the "Rainford High Notes". Nobody reads them, its all crap you don't want to know. Like how well/crap our football team is doing. Or if theres a disco in the village

Psychotic
01-19-2006, 09:58 PM
The only reason anyone read our school newspaper was the message page. Think of it as a more retarded version of the internet, although the grammar was corrected. (My heart genuinely bleeds for the editors)

The messages mainly revolved around person x telling person y that they thought they were "sooooooooooooooo fit", until I discovered it, that is. Soon the page was flooded with people confessing all kinds of things, such as plans for world domination (#1 Take over the school, #2 Create a cult that worships croissants, #3 Invade Poland) Man, I really wish I had saved my copy of that. The poor guy was mocked for two days. TWO WHOLE DAYS! What a great prankster I was! :cool: I only wish I was half as good now as I was then.

Of course, then I discovered EoFF, and now I mock all of you instead.

The rest of the paper was filled with crap about the sports teams. The sports teams thought everyone liked them. They didn't.

Rye
01-19-2006, 09:59 PM
Soon the page was flooded with people confessing all kinds of things, such as plans for world domination (#1 Take over the school, #2 Create a cult that worships croissants, #3 Invade Poland) Man, I really wish I had saved my copy of that. The poor guy was mocked for two days. TWO WHOLE DAYS! What a great prankster I was! :cool: I only wish I was half as good now as I was then.

Owned. xD

Aurey
01-19-2006, 09:59 PM
My school's newspaper is awful. There's only been one this school year, I believe. But it was filled with terrible articles and people's stupid opinions on things that hardly matter. But it did have a funny picture of my mathematics teacher.

I think our school's too poor for that kind of thing, too. That's probably why there's only been one out so far. They spent all their money on a new gymnasium.

Lost Number
01-19-2006, 10:02 PM
The best bit of ours was were I did "A study of exams, in the style of Jeremy Clarkson". Followed by the love poems by some mental bloke in our year. Saaaad.

Shlup
01-19-2006, 10:16 PM
The only articles I ever read in the paper were written by one of my friends. Most of her articles got rejected for being "controversial" or "innappropriate" though.

And we also read a guy's little comic to make fun of him because it was always so poorly drawn and so un-funny.

MortalKitten
01-19-2006, 10:23 PM
My school newspaper, for the 5 issues it lasted, was great.
We had entertainment- Games, Poems/short Stories, Funny things, a Riddle or two, Movies, etc.
Some sports (both School and Recent national stuff)
Some things about the Talent Show and TalentSTAR, stuff about the school bands, the music and revision class lineups, stuff like that. And people who'd done well at the very back. We won an award. But then the teacher left so we split up.

Anaisa
01-19-2006, 11:27 PM
Are pathetic excuse for a school magazine came out about three times a year! But once some guy wanted to take my picture for it, so I let him. But then he wrote a load of rubbish things which I never said :mad2: . So I got some smutty pictures of people "having some fun together", and stuck his head, and his freinds heads on the bodies, and stuck them up all around the school.

kikimm
01-20-2006, 12:49 AM
My school newspaper is actually really great; or at least, I think so. I thought it would be a load of completely boring crap, but it was really interesting, and informative, so that's cool. My English teacher is the one who's running it though, and she's awesome, so that's probably why. I think I might start writing for it too, which I'm looking forward to doing.

xtreme112
01-20-2006, 12:55 AM
Our middle school made a newspaper once, and it sucked :P

We get like the yearly ones and theyre not too bad, but they've got everything in there

and then there are the newsletters that go to parents for stuff that may rarely be important, nowadays they don't even send them, as my school is stingy with paper they email everything. We don't even get reports on paper anymore, if we want it we have to print it ourselfs *is outraged*

Xaven
01-20-2006, 12:59 AM
My school newspaper (The Quest) is actually pretty decent. Our journalism class doesn't suck, and there are actually a few things worth your time.

Um, there's this other paper that comes out once a month or so called "Psyched Out" done by the Mental Health Club (?). Almost the entire thing is worth reading and so most people do. Good stuff.

Epiphany
01-20-2006, 01:01 AM
Thank god I was homeschooled throughout high school. I imagine that if I hadn't been, the school I would have attended would have printed much of the same thing yours did, Jess. Only worse.

Rye
01-20-2006, 01:03 AM
Thank god I was homeschooled throughout high school. I imagine that if I hadn't been, the school I would have attended would have printed much of the same thing yours did, Jess. Only worse.

Lucky, Morgy! Tell me what it's like to not have to be forced constantly into the company of people who wear tiny skirts, tanktops and giant fur boots in 10 degree F weather? xD

Madame Adequate
01-20-2006, 01:04 AM
We didn't have a school newspaper, at least none I was ever aware of.

We did get newsletters about once every three months.

They got thrown in the trash immediately. One could say, were one of a Ryeish disposition, "TRASH'D!"

I wish there had been one, there's a remote chance I'd have bothered writing for it.

Epiphany
01-20-2006, 01:04 AM
Lucky, Morgy! Tell me what it's like to not have to be forced constantly into the company of people who wear tiny skirts, tanktops and giant fur boots in 10 degree F weather? xD

It's glorious. Not only did I miss out on all that, I got to sit on my butt. 24/7. ;D
Then again, I did goto public school up until 8th grade..so I experienced a lot of it anyway. And in Michigan, it's more like -10 degrees. I used to point and laugh at them because our school schedule was messed up, the lunch periods were too short so we had about 30 minutes between lunch and the next class, so they sent us outside for 'recess'. They pretty much assumed the fetal position all throughout the winter.

rubah
01-20-2006, 01:20 AM
It was alright two years ago, but since then, all the people who could actually write quit journalism, and my friends, while I love them dearly, cannot write.

Rye
01-20-2006, 01:22 AM
They got thrown in the trash immediately. One could say, were one of a Ryeish disposition, "TRASH'D!"

FLATTER'D! :)

Shadow The Red XIII Thing
01-20-2006, 01:33 AM
Wear longer skirts
I disagree.
I hated the newspaper but my girlfriend was on the staff so I never said anything.

Momiji
01-20-2006, 02:24 AM
How do you like your high school (or Middle School, I suppose) newspaper? Is it good, decent or trash like the middle school paper was when I went to Junior High. :)

We just got our second edition school newspaper. I suppose it's decent, but some articles are AWFUL. Especially this one article made by this dumb girl named Danielle who is obsessed with herself and fashion. *copies and pastes from LJ because I'm lazy~*

"Just make sure you follow these rules and you will look great this season!

Do-

Wear bohemian styled clothing (those really WEIRD pants that are huge and UGLY)
Put flowers in your hair
Wear sundresses
Wear flats
Wear vintage tees
Wear floral patterns
Cuff your jeans
Wear longer skirts (The one thing I agree with)
Wear gauchos with everything from fitted knit tops to boots and sweaters (Uh what?)

Don't -

Wear heels bigger than 3 inches (Short people want to be taller)
Hide yourself in baggy clothing (It's better to wear baggy clothing than to wear pants and shirts 4 sizes too small just so you can say you'ra a size 6 or lower, so your fat is hanging out, like HER (the writer of the article) friends do.)
Wear sneakers with skirts
Wear ponchos"

I threw in a few comments, as you can see. ;) But yeah, it was dumb. There were some good articles though, about Advanced Placement Art, Senior-itis and how MTV warps expectations of Sweet Sixteens and how people in my town who were born here/lived their most of their life think this is the center of the world and are seriously flawed in that way. :) I liked that last one.

I'm one of the editors for my school's newspaper. And someone here's going an article on Senior-itis too, along with Myspace obsession and other interesting topics, then you have the news section of which I was assigned. Bo----ring.

Yuffie514
01-20-2006, 03:21 AM
there was one newsletter for each month of the year. despite its black/white, 4-8 paged mini magazine look, it's ok...

SammieBabe
01-20-2006, 01:42 PM
To be completely honest... It's been almost 6 years since I graduated and I don't even remember my schools paper...
I do know that we had one....

Mittopotahis
01-20-2006, 02:02 PM
We have a fortnightly newsletter, but no paper. the letter sucks itself though. It basically goes into my bag, and comes out a month and a half later when my mum asks for it.

Itsunari 2000
01-21-2006, 01:41 PM
A weekly newsletter, at the most. Most of the kids in my school are just illiterate or plain ignorant to read that, so what makes you think a newspaper/ magazine would be a worthwhile venture ?