PDA

View Full Version : ROMS

Tifa's Real Lover(really
01-19-2006, 11:14 PM
what r ROMS and what r they used for?

o_O
01-19-2006, 11:57 PM
ROMs are data copies of games, usually older games that were available on cartridges, like Super Nintendo or Sega Megadrive games.
Their purpose is to be played on a computer, because the old systems aren't available. To play a ROM you'll need an emulator of the right platform.

For emulators, go to <a href="http://www.zophar.net">Zophar's Domain</a>.

Tifa's Real Lover(really
01-20-2006, 12:00 AM
can u get computer games as well?

KH-Cloudy
01-20-2006, 12:36 AM
anyone know a site to download roms?

MecaKane
01-20-2006, 12:44 AM
can u get computer games as well?
Why would you need roms? You can already illegally download computer cames as they are.

Zeromus_X
01-20-2006, 12:46 AM
anyone know a site to download roms?
NOOO! now the evil robots will come to your home and destroy your computer!!

just kidding.

but yeah, in pretty much every forum ive been too, theyve explicitly stated not to give out locations of roms to people, or asking for them in posts. just sos ya know. :cat: :choc2: ive seen people asked not too here, so i would assume its the same...

but yeah, if ya google search for roms, you should find em. (any site with "rom" , "emu" "emulator" in its address may be a hint.)

as for emulators, for nes, i use fce ultra, and for snes, i use zsnes. for gba, i use visualboyadvance. those are just what i like to use. some people use nnesterj for nes, and snes9x for snes. all the above seem to be the most popular choice for emulators.:cat:

Tifa's Real Lover(really
01-20-2006, 12:50 AM
Why would you need roms? You can already illegally download computer cames as they are.
umm how then

Hawkeye
01-20-2006, 01:25 AM
We cant really post sites we know of to show roms because EoFF use to host ROMs I believe, told that it wasn't allowed by Sony and now they got this informal policy to do away with piracy. Emulators are legal, ROMs, are not.

Tifa's Real Lover(really
01-20-2006, 01:41 AM
then umm, pm then?

KH-Cloudy
01-20-2006, 01:46 AM
i never knew EoFF hosted ROMs...O_O wow...

o_O
01-20-2006, 02:19 AM
ROMs are legal, provided you either own the original cartridge, or delete the ROM within 24 hours. Having said that, you're still not allowed to provide them or directions to them via this forum, which does include PMs.

crono_logical
01-20-2006, 11:45 AM
I thought we still hosted the ROMs for the older FFs :p Oh well :p

And it's news to me that you can't give links out in PM :D

rubah
01-20-2006, 01:51 PM
ROMs are legal, provided you either own the original cartridge, or delete the ROM within 24 hours. Having said that, you're still not allowed to provide them or directions to them via this forum, which does include PMs.
Isnt' that more of an urban legend? Well, the deleting in 24 hours.

I would think people would have just made that up to make them feel better for dling them at all xD

NeoCracker
01-20-2006, 01:53 PM
Isnt' that more of an urban legend? Well, the deleting in 24 hours.

I would think people would have just made that up to make them feel better for dling them at all xD
I don't think its legend since most sites say that if you don't own the original delete in 24 hours.

Hawkeye
01-20-2006, 04:26 PM
You can own a ROM if you have the original. The 24 hour thing is just a payoff for people who want to download the game but don't have the cartridge. It's still copyrighted no matter what, and it doesn't tak 24 hours to become copyrighted if you have a pirated version. Similar is like downloading movies on your computer.

Mirage
01-20-2006, 04:42 PM
One does generally not use the term ROM for CD or DVD ROM games. It's mostly used for cardridges and media types that cannot normally be read by a regular computer. When it's a CD or DVD, one would usually refer to them as CD or DVD images.

And the delete after 24 hours thing is indeed a legend. When you download the game, it is copied off the server, and the copyright is therefore broken. It doesn't usually matter with really old games anyway, because the company that made them probably isn't making money off them anymore anyway. This doesn't apply to most Final Fantasy games anymore though, because S-E started re-releasing just about every FF game made.

Sain Cai
01-21-2006, 09:42 PM
Let's get one thing perfectly straight about legality of a ROM:

~They are not legal to download in any way shape or form!
~It doesn't matter whether you have the game or not.
~There is no "Delete within 24 hours" rule.

The ONLY way a ROM is legal, is if you make it yourself for your own use. Once you put it on a site for distribution, then it becomes illegal.