PDA

View Full Version : British Humour?

Chris
01-20-2006, 12:52 PM
Okay, my older sis who lives in London often tells me some funny stories about British humor. Why do the Brits insult you and then ask you to agree with them? Aimee (my sister) told me how most Brits are totally unaware of this fact, for example one of her classmates asked her: "You're quite the idiot, aren't you?" What the hell?

NeoCracker
01-20-2006, 12:55 PM
That, my friend, Is very very funny.

Christmas
01-20-2006, 01:13 PM
That is humor?

Chris
01-20-2006, 01:26 PM
That is humor?
According to them, love. It apparently is. :(

Craig
01-20-2006, 01:28 PM
That is British?

~SapphireStar~
01-20-2006, 01:28 PM
"You're quite the idiot, aren't you?"
You do get some snotty smart arses like that. But not every Brit is like that. That to me sounds like an upper class Brit speaking, you would get a smack if you said that to someone in Manchester :D Humour there is getting drunk and throwing kebabs at resturant windows :D Good old times!

Mo-Nercy
01-20-2006, 01:31 PM
I've seen Little Britain. It is so far from being funny.

I don't get British humour. :(

SammieBabe
01-20-2006, 01:36 PM
Some of it is funny, Some of it I don't get. Some of it I get and it's still not funny...

Anaisa
01-20-2006, 01:37 PM
Most British people are not amusing in the least. Virtually all British people like to think they're funny and off-beat, an they believe their own hype about their "stiff upper lips". British people are so conformist on being told something is largely perceived as funny they will then find it amusing. British people also like to think that their funny even if they're reciting jokes from a comedy show, its almost like they believe they made them themselves. They will infact try to pass off anyones jokes as their own, in an attempt to be found amusing. They also think that swearing all the time makes them funny, it doesn't.

NeoCracker
01-20-2006, 01:39 PM
Most British people are not amusing in the least. Virtually all British people like to think they're funny and off-beat, an they believe their own hype about their "stiff upper lips". British people are so conformist on being told something is largely perceived as funny they will then find it amusing. British people also like to think that their funny even if they're reciting jokes from a comedy show, its almost like they believe they made them themselves. They will infact try to pass off anyones jokes as their own, in an attempt to be found amusing. They also think that swearing all the time makes them funny, it doesn't.

But it worked so well for Cid

~SapphireStar~
01-20-2006, 01:40 PM

We could just go off on a big rant about how America comedys arent that funny either, but we dont, cause each to his own mate. We like our comedys cause they make us laugh, they show everyday life. Little Britain is a mickey take of some of Britains gutterballs and we think swearing is funny cause we swear nearly all the time and it can be made funny. Personally I would like to know who you met that started up all this panter cause most of that isnt even true. We tell jokes from comedy shows, but dont pass them off as our own cause its most likely the person hearing the joke has heard/seen the same sketch.

HowlingMonkey
01-20-2006, 01:49 PM

May I suggest you actually meet some British people rather than making uninformed opinions of us? :)

Anaisa
01-20-2006, 01:51 PM
I am British. Ive lived in Britain all my life.

Mittopotahis
01-20-2006, 01:54 PM
I love British comedy. Monty Python, the Sketch Show, Psychotic, I just find it so funny!

Except Little Britian. Man I hate that show.

Hawkeye
01-20-2006, 01:56 PM
Monty Python
BigusDickus!

Rusty
01-20-2006, 02:01 PM
British comedy is the best. Fawlty Towers is legendary.

Anaisa
01-20-2006, 02:05 PM
We could just go off on a big rant about how America comedys arent that funny either, but we dont, cause each to his own mate. We like our comedys cause they make us laugh, they show everyday life. Little Britain is a mickey take of some of Britains gutterballs and we think swearing is funny cause we swear nearly all the time and it can be made funny. Personally I would like to know who you met that started up all this panter cause most of that isnt even true. We tell jokes from comedy shows, but dont pass them off as our own cause its most likely the person hearing the joke has heard/seen the same sketch.
Yeah, British comedys are funnier than American ones in my opinion. But I thought we were supposed to be talking about your average British person, rather than are comedy shows. An I have plenty of experience with the British comedy scene, and since they all find me amusing, im certainly not going to slate them biasedly.

Meat Puppet
01-20-2006, 02:09 PM
I seek the queen whenever I'm need of a sweet laugh or two. legendary stuff.

Mittopotahis
01-20-2006, 02:10 PM
If we are talking about your average person, then an Aussie. Aussie's are just all larrikans.

Anaisa
01-20-2006, 02:17 PM
I seek the queen whenever I'm need of a sweet laugh or two. legendary stuff.
I think its the 2004 pound where they've given the queen jowls. That always gets a laugh out of me. Also there was a display set up in my local library where kids were asked to draw portraits of the queen. I wish id had a camera at the time, because that display is one of the funniest things ive ever seen. She looked like an old drag queen/transexual, on every one.

DK
01-20-2006, 03:09 PM

Little Britain is a pile of crap.

boris no no
01-20-2006, 03:29 PM
Its because we all hate eachother so much that its so funny when we take the michael out of eachother :P

For example -
"you, my good sir, have the face of a hippos backside. Don't you agree?"
"oh my yes! I am an ugly and sad person arn't I?"

lol
lol
lol

NeoCracker
01-20-2006, 03:31 PM
Its because we all hate eachother so much that its so funny when we take the michael out of eachother :P

For example -
"you, my good sir, have the face of a hippos backside. Don't you agree?"
"oh my yes! I am an ugly and sad person arn't I?"

lol
lol
lol

Comic Genious

Loony BoB
01-20-2006, 03:44 PM
British comedy hasn't been that great for a little while now. I'd say that right up there would have been Monty Python, Harry Enfield and Who's Line Is It Anyway? - I assure you, the British version is so much better than the American version.

Also, "You're an idiot, aren't you?" isn't funny. It's an insult. The "aren't you?" bit isn't supposed to be funny either. Maybe it was the context it was used in, but on it's own, that's not a joke as far as I know.

DK
01-20-2006, 03:48 PM
I don't think it was supposed to be a joke, but we do take the piss out of each other quite a lot. At least, me and my group of friends do anyway, we insult each other and be quite harsh to each other all the time. I dunno, the way I always looked at it was that to be able to joke around and take the piss out of your friends and them know it was a joke and play along with it and not get pissed was a sign to me that you're all pretty tight and cool with each other.

P.S Towns you're a sheep shagging kiwi slut.

Old Manus
01-20-2006, 03:48 PM
your gay lol

War Angel
01-20-2006, 03:49 PM
If Hitler had succeeded in his plots, there wouldn't be any good humour left in the world, after the death of all the Jews and the conquering of Britian.

British humour is sublime. It's like compensation for the food, really.

DK
01-20-2006, 03:50 PM
your gay lol

ur mom is gay lolololo

boris no no
01-20-2006, 03:51 PM
Comic Genious
I know B)

I should be on T.V

Shoden
01-20-2006, 03:52 PM
He doesn't shag sheep he does goats, even I knew that.

It's a well known fact Brtis are frigging hillarious in their own way that Americans cannot understand because they're trying to outdo the communists in pigeon toss.

That was an insult, sarcasm is better.

Jess
01-20-2006, 04:03 PM
The reason people take the piss out of eachother is because we can laugh at ourselves and not get insulted so easily. :p

Spiffing Cheese
01-20-2006, 04:28 PM
Uh, how exactly is that humour? :confused:

I don't get British humour.

I would be ashamed to think that Little Britain represents British humour.

Lost Number
01-20-2006, 04:31 PM
From what I can gather from Brit the majotiry seem to find LB funny. For some sick reason "Bubbles" is hugly popular. So therefore, it is british humour.

Shaun
01-20-2006, 04:43 PM
I live in England. I hate most of its people. I hate its taste in movies. I hate its taste in music. I hate its taste in gaming. I hate the amount of discrimination within this country... And I hate its humour.

Oh yeah, I hate my own country.

Lost Number
01-20-2006, 04:48 PM
I live in England. I hate most of its people. I hate its taste in movies. I hate its taste in music. I hate its taste in gaming. I hate the amount of discrimination within this country... And I hate its humour.

I hate your country too.:moomba:

Crop
01-20-2006, 04:54 PM
I love Britain im British, I dunno about British humor cos its varies but I dont like Little Britain, the same thing over and over and over and over again.

Spiffing Cheese
01-20-2006, 04:58 PM
From what I can gather from Brit the majotiry seem to find LB funny. For some sick reason "Bubbles" is hugly popular. So therefore, it is british humour.

I just meant that I hope Little Britain doesn't represent our humour as a whole.

Lost Number
01-20-2006, 05:01 PM
Course not. There still the traditional British joke of slaughtering innocent people. They still do that after years, its traditional.
Oh, and theres "Lordly humour". Thats posh stuff, ya know?
Lets not forget the City humour. I cant understand the way they talk, but its probably jokes. They seem to laugh, anyway.

Dreddz
01-20-2006, 05:06 PM
Brit Humor takes on many forms, but that isnt really Humor at all........of any kind.

Swifthom
01-20-2006, 05:09 PM
Yes, our humour IS different...
Little Britain is a facet of british Humour, same goes for monty Python, Fawlty Towers, The Office, or even at the other end of the spectrum Yes Minister (roughly UK version of the west wing, made about 20 years ago and god it's the funniest comedy I have ever seen...)

Yes, people in Britain wll insult you, or touch nerves and expect you not to flinch. Their being brutally honest and making a joke out of it, or being ironic or sarcastic, which is good. It's only not good when they go that step to far, which occasionally they do, but otherwise it's just being honest enough to say what your thinking and express it.

That said, there's the brutal waspish jokes and then there's just being rude. It's an invsible line which people only recognise after a while, it doens't translate well over the internet because you can usually tell if it' a joke or not by seeing the look on their face, the expression in their voice, whatever...

-----

On the initial post; the "Aren't you," is probably just an expression that's used all the time and comes as habit. The joke was, "You're quite the idiot," which was probably just pointing out they'd said something stupid...
That ISNT British Humour, but it is the bedrock British Humour is based on.

Anaisa
01-20-2006, 05:17 PM
Well British people must be different where you live. Because here no one would dare mock anyone to their faces, their far to yellow bellied for that. They do however snigger at other people being mocked, by a rare person, who's actually got the guts to do so.

Maxico
01-20-2006, 05:23 PM
I really don't find Little Britain funny. And I'm British. However that doesn't mean that all British humour is puerile.

Spaced (and Shaun of the Dead, which is pretty much a zombie based spin off), for example is (or rather, was) gold.

Swifthom
01-20-2006, 05:24 PM
No, not mocking, but being brutally honest...
To be honest, my best mate is the groups pervert... I spend about, 2/3rds of my time comparing him to a stalker, warning girls to get away from him and we all laugh. It's not mocking, and iwouldn't do it to anyone else I don't know but we're having a laugh. If anyone he didn't know joked about him being a bit of a ladies man he'd punch their lights out...

Actually, don;t take it as a joke, take it as a sign of friendship. If they can laugh at you they trust you enough to take it the right way...
Either that or their being rude and deserve having their lights punched out.

It's not mocking, it's pushing.

Madame Adequate
01-20-2006, 05:42 PM
Yes, people in Britain wll insult you, or touch nerves and expect you not to flinch. Their being brutally honest and making a joke out of it, or being ironic or sarcastic, which is good. It's only not good when they go that step to far, which occasionally they do, but otherwise it's just being honest enough to say what your thinking and express it.

Balls to that. I have no problem with honestly and forthrightness - in fact it's something I cherish, but that's not what 98% of what you hear is about. I don't care what some random oaf thinks about me, but you can't deny that they're all about yelling at you and insulting you. On the other hand, friends do make fun of each other and the like - just like all my American, Canadian, and Australian friends do. And like most of the Scandanavians I've met seem to. That is hardly a thing unique to Britain.

Shaun - tell me about it. I am outta here the day I get a green card. Or whatever it is you need to get into Canuckistan or Australialand or Kiwiberg.

Then again, we did make Monty Python. That is close to the apex of laff right there.

Suikojowy
01-20-2006, 05:49 PM
Our taste in music makes me ashamed. Robbie Williams, really? come on!

As for comedy, Little Britain used to be funn, but then it just got a bit TOO repetitive. I never found Monty Python funny. I really don't get it.

Twisted Tinkerbell
01-20-2006, 05:57 PM

I'm British and I don't find that funny, so you aren't alone there.

Captain Maxx Power
01-20-2006, 06:06 PM
We invented the humorous insult. You did know that didn't you?

Zeldy
01-20-2006, 06:16 PM

I laughed so hard at the Christmas episode :love:

Edit: Hello, daarrrling

boris no no
01-20-2006, 06:23 PM
Dear person
[18:21] <Balo-ki> Holy racism, sarcastic boy to the lame thread mobile
lots of love baloki

edczxcvbnm
01-20-2006, 06:26 PM
I don't think it was supposed to be a joke, but we do take the piss out of each other quite a lot.

You have no clue how retarded that sounds. How do you take a piss out of someone. Do you rip out their blatter and scream out fatality?!?!

Having said that England is stupid. This is a proven fact.

Twisted Tinkerbell
01-20-2006, 06:40 PM
I don't take the piss out of people and call it humor. I wouldn't like it if someone did it to me...oh wait they did once. But I don't think it's funny. Something is only a joke if everyone finds it funny.

DynasticJam
01-20-2006, 06:44 PM
I am a British citizen, and there is no better humor than British humor in my opinion. I think that British humor is all about being insultive to others in a random yet funny way, so it's just like looking at how funny life is. Insulting someone in that way is funny, because it is unexpected and it surprisez the listener. That is what makes people laugh.

Lost Number
01-20-2006, 07:08 PM
I was in London once.
"Top o the mornin to ya, Paddy!"
"Hey, Paddy, fancy a drink o Guiness?"
"How ya doin, ya stupid, drunken *****er?"

I hate the British.

Old Manus
01-20-2006, 07:10 PM
ur mom is gay lolololo
not after last nite LoL

EDIT: wait, that sounds sick

starseeker
01-20-2006, 07:28 PM
British comedy is more subtle. The insult being funny relies on the tone of voice and you being a friend with the person talking to you. Social relationships, tone of voice and double entendres are used more than stupid statements and canned laughter for comic effect. British humour mocks real life, not odd situations. Odd situations are weird not funny, good humour is found in real life.

Little Britain has its moments but Dead Ringers is a far better example of parody. Hitch-hickers is a great example of zany humour.

Lost Number
01-20-2006, 07:31 PM
Lets face it, polititians and TV presenters leave themselves wide open to parody. I prefer Folks on the Hill.

Rye
01-20-2006, 08:55 PM
I do like British Humour, because I find insultive humour really amusing, if it's with friends and such. Maybe I'm crazy, but if I think you're truly friends with someone when you can joke mock with them. Like me and Shauna, Paul, Dan, Kiir, etc. :)

I have to say, I will take Seinfeld humour over most British humour. I personally find odd situations, such as the ones in Seinfeld, hilarious. But that's my own taste, plus I'm American and I haven't seen any British comedies, I've only experienced British Humour through friends. xD

Project G
01-20-2006, 08:57 PM
Ha, british humor is the best man, we feel the same about most of the american humor

Lost Number
01-20-2006, 09:00 PM
Only thing worse than Brit humour, is Muirican humour.

DK
01-20-2006, 09:16 PM
You have no clue how retarded that sounds. How do you take a piss out of someone. Do you rip out their blatter and scream out fatality?!?!

I think it's retarded that you'd take a slang term so literally.

War Angel
01-20-2006, 09:29 PM
I have to say, I will take Seinfeld humour over most British humour.
Ahh, but you're not being fair, comparing Jewish humour with British humour.

Besides, British humour is mostly self-insultive. True humour is like that - laugh at yourself, and the world will think you're pathetic. Or something like that.

British humour is about the use of understatements, word games, none-sense and stuff like that. It can be either very stupid and simple, or very sophisticated, yet the origins remain the same.

Lost Number
01-20-2006, 09:30 PM
"If you cant laugh at yourself, you are on the road to hades"
Just came to me.

Zeldy
01-20-2006, 09:31 PM
Ahh, but you're not being fair, comparing Jewish humour with British humour.

Besides, British humour is mostly self-insultive. True humour is like that - laugh at yourself, and the world will think you're pathetic. Or something like that.

British humour is about the use of understatements, word games, none-sense and stuff like that. It can be either very stupid and simple, or very sophisticated, yet the origins remain the same.
Alright. Not all British Comedy is insulting you know?
Phoenix nights, Peter Kay, Road To Nowhere, Catherine Tate.. None of them are insulting. Peter Kay is definatly British. How is "Clicking her fingers and shuffling her feet singing [Ooh ma dee dee diddi dum diddee doo] She looked good [She looked good] 'ow?" insulting ;P

Little Britain, however much I love it, Is ever so rude sometimes. They are racist in some bits

DK
01-20-2006, 09:36 PM
Cahterine Tate is the least funny person in the country. She's even less funny than Ricky Gervais, and he's a total twat.

SoulTaker*
01-20-2006, 09:39 PM
British humor is good sometimes i.e Monty Python. I remember one time I was watching some British comedy and they were insinuating how Catholics like to abstain from sex but still breed like rabbits, I found it quite funny even though I was catholic at the time, but Seinfeld humor is still the best.

"She had man hands".

Zeldy
01-20-2006, 09:41 PM
Cahterine Tate is the least funny person in the country. She's even less funny than Ricky Gervais, and he's a total twat.
I only find one of her acts funny. Its the bald guy who says "How.. Very.. Dare you!" B)

Cz
01-20-2006, 09:59 PM
We invented humour, then introduced it to the rest of the world when we were done conquering them. :p

Shauna
01-20-2006, 10:01 PM
I do like British Humour, because I find insultive humour really amusing, if it's with friends and such. Maybe I'm crazy, but if I think you're truly friends with someone when you can joke mock with them. Like me and Shauna, Paul, Dan, Kiir, etc. :)

I like the fact that I be first on your list. YOU ARE DIRTY!!!!! DIRTY JESSUS!:p

And, I'd never say that British Humour was just purely insults. Yeah, we do insult each other, but I don't think that that is just purely British humour. I wouldn't agree with Little Britain being the best of British Humour. Sketch shows aren't good for showing British humour. You should watch shows that aren't sketch shows, you'd probably see a better example of what it is. :D

Spiffing Cheese
01-20-2006, 10:25 PM
I like the fact that I be first on your list. YOU ARE DIRTY!!!!! DIRTY JESSUS!:p

And, I'd never say that British Humour was just purely insults. Yeah, we do insult each other, but I don't think that that is just purely British humour. I wouldn't agree with Little Britain being the best of British Humour. Sketch shows aren't good for showing British humour. You should watch shows that aren't sketch shows, you'd probably see a better example of what it is. :D

Yeah, you can say that, but then there's Monty Python, and The Two Ronnies, Harry Enfield, and so many others. Little Britain is a piss poor attempt at a good British comedic sketch show, if you ask me, but that doesn't mean that sketch shows aren't good for British humour. Anyway, Fawlty Towers is British, and therefore Britain wins.

Lost Number
01-20-2006, 10:27 PM
Two ronnies! Pity to hear bout Ronnie Barker.
But I think Father Ted was the best.

Spiffing Cheese
01-20-2006, 10:29 PM
Two ronnies! Pity to hear bout Ronnie Barker.
But I think Father Ted was the best.

Yeah, Ronnie Barker was a true legend.

Father Ted is hilarious at times and boring at others.

Lost Number
01-20-2006, 10:32 PM
Im so, so, sorry. Classic.
"You let dougal do a funeral?!"

Shauna
01-20-2006, 10:39 PM
Yeah, you can say that, but then there's Monty Python, and The Two Ronnies, Harry Enfield, and so many others. Little Britain is a piss poor attempt at a good British comedic sketch show, if you ask me, but that doesn't mean that sketch shows aren't good for British humour. Anyway, Fawlty Towers is British, and therefore Britain wins.

Yeah, I guess. :p I was just meaning that British shows that aren't sketch shows are probably a better example of British humour?:D

Swifthom
01-20-2006, 10:43 PM

I think it's retarded that you'd take a slang term so literally.

Ahh, sorry, you don't recognise the term...
Taking the piss = taking the mickey = having a laugh = mucking around = talking rubbish = talking out of your ass = telling jokes...

And if you want another example of british humour just look to Hitch Hikers Guide to the galaxy, nothing like Little Britain but they started from the same place.

Lost Number
01-20-2006, 10:45 PM
HHGTTG. Best thing to come out of England since...well, The 2 ronnies.

Psychotic
01-20-2006, 10:48 PM
Course not. There still the traditional British joke of slaughtering innocent people. They still do that after years, its traditional....:laugh: oh you people sometimes.

Although current British comedy is complete and utter bollocks, the vintage stuff is better than any other in the world.

SoulTaker*
01-20-2006, 10:49 PM
Ahh, sorry, you don't recognise the term...
Taking the piss = taking the mickey = having a laugh = mucking around = talking rubbish = talking out of your ass = telling jokes...

And if you want another example of british humour just look to Hitch Hikers Guide to the galaxy, nothing like Little Britain but they started from the same place.
"So I tell the swamp donkey to sock it before I give her a trunky in the tradesman's entrance and have her lick me yardballs!"
Completely different level...

Lost Number
01-20-2006, 10:50 PM
Slang. Curse of humour.

Spiffing Cheese
01-20-2006, 10:59 PM
...:laugh: oh you people sometimes.

Although current British comedy is complete and utter bollocks, the vintage stuff is better than any other in the world.

Yes. The vast majority of our comedy recently has been /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gife, but all of the old British stuff is classic piss-your-pants hysterical. Yay.

Swifthom
01-20-2006, 11:59 PM
It's not all rubbish, there are a few gems amongst the quagmire, something for everyone I suppose... Or at least there's meant to of been.
Peronally my favourite is, Room 101 or Dead Ringers (although it's been going downhil recently), or anyone remember Coupling?

Coupling = best show on earth, roughly a British version of friends but much much more... ahh.. sexual, intimate, realistic and less corny. It was real, funny, laugh out loud brilliant and most of all thoroughly British...

Go out and find the DVD's, trust me it's the best show on earth.

As for slang being the curse of humour, their completely unrelated. Dispite being smaller than most American states we have as much variation of dialects as there is in the USA...
People talk differently, different areas develop terms and meanings for phrases that haven't caught on elsewhere. These things happen, they have nothing to do with comedy.

Some comedians can turn that into a sort of joke, but it's not a joke in itself.

Wizdumb
01-21-2006, 08:04 AM
You all have forgotten Blackadder.

How dare you all.

Rengori
01-21-2006, 08:24 AM

Come to America! Or, if it's cheaper, go to Mexico and cross the border from there!

Anyway, Monty Python and The Holy Grail is probably the only exception I'll make when I say British humor is not all that great. Then again, I haven't really seen all that much British humor lately. I could be wrong.

HowlingMonkey
01-21-2006, 11:33 AM
Nobody has yet touted Coupling as an example of great British humour. This makes me sad. Man, that show was hilarious. :D

DynasticJam
01-21-2006, 11:48 AM
I was in London once.
"Top o the mornin to ya, Paddy!"
"Hey, Paddy, fancy a drink o Guiness?"
"How ya doin, ya stupid, drunken *****er?"

I hate the British.

YOU HAVE NO SENSE OF HUMOR YOU UNGRATEFUL GIT!!!

Nod
01-21-2006, 12:33 PM
I love British comedy. Monty Python, the Sketch Show, Psychotic, I just find it so funny!

Except Little Britian. Man I hate that show.

I agree. There is much of british humour which is amusing. Little Britain was kinda funny to begin with, but then it just descended into outright mockery of less-fortunate people. Plus, hundreds of people all doing the vicky pollard accent is very annoying.

As with anything, you cannot make a blanket statement that 'all british humour is rubbish', because there is such a diverse spectrum within the country. Some british humour is very funny, some is crap.

As for brits taking the piss and asking you to agree with them, i cant say ive experienced that with malicious intent.

Madame Adequate
01-21-2006, 12:48 PM
/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif. We DID forget Blackadder, didn't we? :( And Father Ted, too. I'm lame, especially for forgetting Father Ted. That's the funniest thing Britain's produced for a decade. "Ted! You forget your brick!"

starseeker
01-21-2006, 01:44 PM
What about Dad's Army? I love this scene

German U- boat captain:"Your name vill also go on ze list, vat is it?"
Captain Mannering:"Don't tell him Pike!"
(Pike is the character's name)

Swifthom
01-21-2006, 01:46 PM
Actually Starseeker, when I think of Dads Army that is ALWAYS the scene that pops into my head...

Pure brilliance.

Spiffing Cheese
01-21-2006, 01:59 PM
What about Dad's Army? I love this scene

German U- boat captain:"Your name vill also go on ze list, vat is it?"
Captain Mannering:"Don't tell him Pike!"
(Pike is the character's name)

Yeah, Dad's Army was a creation of pure genius. I really don't get how people can dislike our comedy when the British have come up with fantastic comedies such as this, and Blackadder, Fawlty Towers, Red Dwarf, and too many others to name.

Though I think this thread was more aimed at the comedy of the Brits' humour themselves, and not the T.V. programmes. xD Insults are fun! Stop whinging!

Lost Number
01-21-2006, 02:29 PM
I'm lame, especially for forgetting Father Ted. That's the funniest thing Britain's produced for a decade. "Ted! You forget your brick!"
NOT BRITAIN YOU EEJIT, IRELAND!!!!! IRELAND!!!!!

Alive-Cat
01-21-2006, 02:32 PM
I've been told I'M British humour. But then when I said thank-you they all laughed and said, "GET HIM!"

Lost Number
01-21-2006, 02:34 PM
Was that in Britain?

Little Miss Awesome
01-21-2006, 03:42 PM
Are you all forgetting Only Fools And Horses :p ?

Madame Adequate
01-21-2006, 03:49 PM
NOT BRITAIN YOU EEJIT, IRELAND!!!!! IRELAND!!!!!

Uh, it was pitched directly to Hat-trick and Channel 4. The indoor scenes were filmed in London. It was funded by the British. Therefore; produced by Britain. RTÉ didn't even buy the rights until after it had become popular on Channel 4, which Irish viewers were getting through cable.

Besides, it's not like there's signficant difference between the two places. :rolleyes2

Lost Number
01-21-2006, 04:39 PM
Besides, it's not like there's signficant difference between the two places. :rolleyes2

You wee sonufa...OH YES THERE IS!
THE FACT THAT THE BRITS ARE A BUNCH OF MURDERING GITS!!!
THE FACT THAT THE 2 MAIN ACTORS WERE IRISH!!!
THE FACT THAT I LIVE THERE!
*calls the IRA*

KentaRawr!
01-21-2006, 04:47 PM
I still don't get british humor. Someone, tell me a joke. >.<

starseeker
01-21-2006, 05:25 PM
A man walks into a bar: "ouch"
It was an iron bar.

An englishman, an irishman and an iraqi man go into a bar and have a beer.
The englishman knocks his glass off the table and it smashes. The other two ask "why did you do that". The englishman replies "we've got so many glasses in our country we can afford to waste some."
Then the irishman pours his beer on the floor. The others ask "why did you do that?". And he says "we have so much beer in our country we can afford to waste some"
Then the iraqi man gets out two guns and shoots them. The others ask "why did you do that?". He replies "we've got so many foreigners in our country we can afford to waste some"

A pan galactic gargle blaster is like having your brain smashed out with a slice of lemon wrapped round a small gold brick. You should never drink tow pan galactic gargle blasters in a row unless you are a twenty ton mega elephant with brionchiol pneumonia.

These are just a few jokes I know (I'm british but I don't know if this is british humour) Humour is found in the mundane. I find this all funny.

A piece of graffiti on a wall by a motorway going into London 'Why do I do this everyday'

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy ('The Guide is definitive; reality is frequently very inaccurate') is the most popular known reference work for two reasons: it is inexpensive, and it has the words 'Don't Panic' written on it in large, friendly letters on its cover. It is a galactic bestseller everywhere except on that backward planet Earth, where they still think digital watches are "A pretty neat idea".

KentaRawr!
01-21-2006, 05:52 PM
That iron bar one was funny. :p

Shauna
01-21-2006, 06:18 PM
*calls the IRA*

Well, Ireland is usually said to be part of the UK, even if it isn't. MILF really didn't say anything offensive. You're just making everything 100x worse than it needs to be, blowing everything out of proportion.
I'm Scottish, and I'd only take offense if someone said... '*insert Scottish show* is a really good English TV show/film', and even then I'd not take it as bad as you're taking it, if anything I'd just say point out that it is in fact, Scottish. ...Well, not that they show Scottish shows down in Engerland. :p

Though I think this thread was more aimed at the comedy of the Brits' humour themselves, and not the T.V. programmes. xD Insults are fun! Stop whinging!

Oh Emma, you silly Welsh girl! WELSHIE~:heart:

starseeker
01-21-2006, 08:59 PM
The Republic of Ireland is in the British Isles
Northern Ireland is the United Kingdom.
Great Britain only consists of England, Scotland and Wales.
The phrase to remember is: 'The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland'. It helps.

Psychotic
01-21-2006, 09:35 PM
*calls the IRA*The IRA are, of course, not murdering gits.

(they're murdering moronic gits) :D

final-mike
01-22-2006, 12:22 AM
Erm why is the vast majority of this thread been insulting the british!!!!!!

Rengori
01-22-2006, 02:09 AM
Is this supposed to be a question or assertion?

Madame Adequate
01-22-2006, 02:44 AM
*calls the IRA*

I've spent over a quarter of my life in N. Ireland. I've visited most of it, I reckon. There is a distinctly Northern Irish tint to my upbringing. And I can tell you, I can conjure zero significant differences between the two places, except that Ireland is wracked with civil strife so ridiculous that it borders on the comedic. Or it would if people weren't dying.

'Course, I might have just been displaying British humor in winding you up. :D

final-mike
01-22-2006, 11:54 AM
Is this supposed to be a question or assertion?
both.

Lost Number
01-22-2006, 01:18 PM
Its not. Its insulting me. And Ireland. I will not accept being part of Britain by <!--F*****G--> *sni[* RIGHT OF CONQUEST, K'?

Do not go around the filter. ~ Leeza

Shauna
01-22-2006, 01:27 PM
Its not. Its insulting me. And Ireland. I will not accept being part of Britain by <!--F*****G-->*snip* RIGHT OF CONQUEST, K'?

They're not insulting you. Father Ted is shown on British TV channels. So, it'd be assumed that it is British. Stop blowing things outta proportion! You're taking this far to personally.

Lost Number
01-22-2006, 01:32 PM
I am taking this personally, for all the thousands who died, just to be called british.
Simpsons is shown on 4, does that make it british?

Shauna
01-22-2006, 01:45 PM
I am taking this personally, for all the thousands who died, just to be called british.
Simpsons is shown on 4, does that make it british?

Hmm, yeah, but what's your point? Many Scottish people were killed for the right for Scotland to be independant, it might have failed, but whatever. You don't see me going on a rampage everytime someone calls me English.

You misunderstand me. The Simpsons were probably first shown on an American channel here, before it went to Channel 4. You'd have a point, if Father Ted was shown on an Ireland-only TV channel. And yes, BBC1/2 might have different area TV, but it's still British TV.

Lost Number
01-22-2006, 01:47 PM
The point is, we are still fighting.

Psychotic
01-22-2006, 02:31 PM
Lost Number, a question:

What is the name of this forum? I'll narrow it down to one of two choices: Is it Eyes on Unjustly Occupying Ireland, or is it Eyes on Final Fantasy?

Give up? It's the latter. It's all very noble that you want to free the six counties, but there's and a time and a place, and it's not here. This may come as a bit of a surprise, but Tony Blair and his merry band of bureacratic fools, ie, the ones who have the power to change what you wish to be changed, don't actually read the posts on EoFF. So what is it that you hope to achieve by constantly badmouthing the British on here? Unless your goal is to lose any sympathy to your cause that you may otherwise have gained, you've failed.

Personally, I think all hot women should go around topless, but I don't fervently campaign for it on this forum, nor do I insult those who choose not to agree with me. If you want somewhere to preach about the evilness of the British, I suggest that you do so on the streets of Belfast, and not a Final Fantasy forum. Good day!

Lost Number
01-22-2006, 02:34 PM
And this is a thread on British Humour, on which I have stated my views.
Oh, and by the way, I live 3 hours from Belfast, do would be a bit of a bollix. So, i'll stick with Ballycastle.

starseeker
01-22-2006, 05:32 PM
The Simpsons was shown on BBC 2 before being shown on C4 and the new episodes are on Sky One which does tons of american imports.
And I clearly stated that all Ireland is not part of Britain, only Northern Ireland is in the United Kingdom.

Are we still discussing British humour or arguing about Irish independence?

final-mike
01-22-2006, 05:44 PM
Its not. Its insulting me. And Ireland. I will not accept being part of Britain by <!--F*****G-->*snip* RIGHT OF CONQUEST, K'?
i'm talkin about the pages before this one. there is quite few insults coming from americans.

Leeza
01-22-2006, 06:18 PM
I would like everyone to stay on topic. The topic is British Humour. Anything else will get deleted.

Monty Python is British. I like that sort of British humour. Other stuff, I don't like so much because I can't seem to find it funny in the least. But then, that goes for a lot of Canadian/American humour as well.

Nod
01-22-2006, 06:28 PM
Alan Partridge. Nuff said.

'smell my cheese you mother' PRICELESS.

:roll: