PDA

View Full Version : Wow, I'm retarded

Raistlin
01-20-2006, 07:21 PM
ere1055: a tid bit: I got in my boat to go to lakewest, and went immediately east all the way.
ere1055: It took me a while to realize why I wasn't getting to lake west. *shakes head sadly at self*
WesM 118: ahahaha
WesM 118: You're dumb.
ere1055: sometimes. :(

So what was the dumbest thing you've ever done in a game? I've done the whole "going to opposite direction" thing before, but I can't think of a specific horrible instance. I'll try to come up with something I've done.

Epiphany
01-20-2006, 07:29 PM
The first time I played Kingdom Hearts it took me an hour just to get passed Destiny Islands because I couldn't find the cloth. B)

Lindy
01-20-2006, 07:38 PM
I spent like, half of the Wailing Caverns instance in WoW not realising I had a Tremor Totem.

The majority of the enemies are Druids of the Fang, who use a sleep spell, and my Tremor Totem is an AoE wake-up call for anyone suffering sleep, fear or charm.

I only remembered I had it after we were almost done >_>

black orb
01-20-2006, 08:39 PM
>>> Saga Frontier 2: Enter to the Last Megalith unprepared and with crap characters (I didnt know you can`t return from that place), in the end I couldnt beat the final boss so I had to re-start the whole game..

Madame Adequate
01-20-2006, 08:42 PM
I cannot to this day get 'east' and 'west' ordered correctly all the time. So it's quite common for me to end up in completely the wrong place in videogames.

Edit: Oh, and in Morrowind, I spent a full year with completely the wrong impression of where Vvardenfell is, because of the above mistake. Then I get hold of a map, and I'm like "What the hell? That should be over there..."

-N-
01-20-2006, 09:15 PM
The first time I played FFVII, I could not climb down a ladder right in front of me for all I was worth. It was the Sector 5 mission, and there's this one weird camera angle thing, but yeah, I just could not climb down. :\

Madame Adequate
01-20-2006, 09:22 PM
The first time I played FFVII, I could not climb down a ladder right in front of me for all I was worth. It was the Sector 5 mission, and there's this one weird camera angle thing, but yeah, I just could not climb down. :\

One time I was in the Final Crater, at the room where most people put the save point. And I had of course saved. But I was only there for XP and a materia or something. But I couldn't climb back out! I was stuck! =( I never did escape, I think I just finished the game and started again.

Endless
01-20-2006, 09:31 PM
I spent like, half of the Wailing Caverns instance in WoW not realising I had a Tremor Totem.

The majority of the enemies are Druids of the Fang, who use a sleep spell, and my Tremor Totem is an AoE wake-up call for anyone suffering sleep, fear or charm.

I only remembered I had it after we were almost done >_>

After doing WC several times with Shamans who can neither heal nor fight correctly, I started to learn the immense value of a good Kick or Will of the forsaken. Will is also immensely useful against the black deviate whelps before Sepentis, because they can fear you into running into Serpentis or Verdan, which really sucks.

Anyway. A dumb thing I've done... hmm...
- I saved at the one before last mission in the Will side of the story in SaGa Frontier 2, and I'm utterly screwed because my characters are underleveled, and I have absolutely no way to level them up.

Lindy
01-20-2006, 09:51 PM
After doing WC several times with Shamans who can neither heal nor fight correctly, I started to learn the immense value of a good Kick or Will of the forsaken. Will is also immensely useful against the black deviate whelps before Sepentis, because they can fear you into running into Serpentis or Verdan, which really sucks.
Hah, I was in a party with a Rogue was the type who'd be saying "lol wuts kik do?", a Warrior who was wearing all leather "for the strength bonus" and another Warrior who thought tanking was auto-attacking and spamming Taunt when it was off cooldown.

I was healing everyone, using shocks, meleeing and laying down AoE fire totems and Strength of Earth/Earthbind, all while maintaining decent mana, and my Druid friend was tanking in Bear form, so we were basically carrying them for the entire instance >_>

We were level 27, granted.

And damnit Tremor Totem is like, NEVER used, aside from little things like that, so I'd never even thought about it beforehand.

Hawkeye
01-20-2006, 09:53 PM
In WoW, I went to the Western Plaguelands at lvl 30. I actually got the flightpath there

Erdrick Holmes
01-20-2006, 11:10 PM
In Halo 2 I kept accidentally blowing myself up by picking the plasma grenade, having it stick to an Elite, and have him bumrush me.

Levian
01-21-2006, 12:02 AM
Super Mario Bros. 3. At the end of this really hard level in World 5, I get to the end only to miss the jump button and walk straight into a small hole, dying. :(

Raistlin
01-21-2006, 01:01 AM
OH I REMEMBER ONE

A friend and I were playing old NES games for fun. The one we were playing at that time was Ninja Turtles. We were stuck on this one part where you had to jump up to a second level and then had to get across this crack on that second level. The thing was that the ceiling was so low that when we tried to jump over it, we kept falling down to the first level and had to work our way back up. We were at this for at least a half-hour, doing this at least twenty times.

And then finally, out of desperation, we tried just walking across the crack.

Yeah.

Rengori
01-21-2006, 01:08 AM
When Maxx Power comes he better say his Solo-Edward game.

And for me, it would be have to be not knowing remembering that Thundaga was Bolt 3 in FFIV Chronicles. Either that or losing against Chill Penguin with full armor and Flamethrower. Or perhaps casting Curaja on Leviathan.

theundeadhero
01-21-2006, 03:21 PM
OH I REMEMBER ONE

A friend and I were playing old NES games for fun. The one we were playing at that time was Ninja Turtles. We were stuck on this one part where you had to jump up to a second level and then had to get across this crack on that second level. The thing was that the ceiling was so low that when we tried to jump over it, we kept falling down to the first level and had to work our way back up. We were at this for at least a half-hour, doing this at least twenty times.

I know exactly where your talking about. Also in the same game, theres this part in the sewers where you have to jump from one platform to the next one. Where you jump from has a roof over your head and then over the opening the roof opens up. It took me months to figure out that if you barely push the jump button you do a kind of little hop and can make it across. I would always push the jump button all the way, hit my head on the roof, and fall down the hole.

Pauten
01-21-2006, 03:29 PM
In Metal Gear Solid 3 during the last battle it took me months to realise that the reason I couldnt counter the boss's CQC moves was because I was pressing the wrong button! :rolleyes2

Levian
01-21-2006, 04:56 PM
OH I REMEMBER ONE

And then finally, out of desperation, we tried just walking across the crack.

Yeah.

Don't you just hate those water levels.

PramTheOracle
01-21-2006, 08:14 PM
Autoselling a Tiny Plastic Sword in Kingdom of Loathing...They go for like 13 Mil now :(

kikimm
01-21-2006, 08:28 PM

I did like, the exact same thing, but in FFVIII, and with the stairs in the hotel, playing with Laguna and crew. I tink it took me about an hour to finally get down to where Julia was and it was horrible. :(

I also got stuck in Atlantica in Kingdom Hearts for weeks because I guess I kept on missing this one turn off somewhere. Ugh.

Cz
01-21-2006, 08:37 PM
Playing on Super Flat World in Super Smash Bros. Melee, I was desperately trying to defend a one point lead against a friend with seconds to go. A Bunny Hood dropped in front of me and I grabbed it, hoping it would aid my escape. However, I was playing as Mario, a character I'm not used to, and so I greatly underestimated the speed boost and leapt off the stage. It was quite possibly the most embarrassing Self-Destruct that has ever occurred. :sweatdrop

I've also had Neel's problem in numerous FF titles, and quite possibly on the same ladder.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
01-21-2006, 09:11 PM
My first time playing through Metal Gear Solid 3, I never once used the Scientist disguise. In the parts of the game where you're supposed to use it, I just kicked it normal infiltration style. Then, during the final battle in the field full of white flowers, I was looking for the best camouflage to wear, and I guess I hadn't acquired the Snow camo. Therefore, I put on the Scientist disguise only to find that all my weapons were disabled, and instead of linking this to the disguise, I assumed that it was a condition of the battle itself--that it had to be a CQC-only fight, sort of like the Ninja battle in MGS1. Another thing I didn't realize, though, is that you can't use CQC while dressed as a scientist, either. Fortunately, I only died once before I figured out what I was doing wrong.

Cz
01-21-2006, 09:25 PM
My first time playing through Metal Gear Solid 3, I never once used the Scientist disguise. In the parts of the game where you're supposed to use it, I just kicked it normal infiltration style. Then, during the final battle in the field full of white flowers, I was looking for the best camouflage to wear, and I guess I hadn't acquired the Snow camo. Therefore, I put on the Scientist disguise only to find that all my weapons were disabled, and instead of linking this to the disguise, I assumed that it was a condition of the battle itself--that it had to be a CQC-only fight, sort of like the Ninja battle in MGS1. Another thing I didn't realize, though, is that you can't use CQC while dressed as a scientist, either. Fortunately, I only died once before I figured out what I was doing wrong.Who are you, and what have you done with Kawaii Ryűkishi? :mad2:

Kawaii Ryűkishi
01-21-2006, 09:30 PM
It is super-hard to get through the parts of the game where you're supposed to be done up like a scientist without the disguise and also without getting spotted.
My conclusion about that fight, while a misconception, was entirely logical. The character you battle spends most of the game ranting about CQC, so it would make perfect sense if you could only defeat her with it.
Calling up your support team on the radio and actually having them explain things like the Scientist disguise is for wusses.

LunaticPandora37
01-21-2006, 09:32 PM
i think the dumbest thing i've ever done in a video game was in ocarina of time... in the forest temple when you are running round trying not be caught by the wallmaster...i always played music so i knew that you could hear them coming...and i thought i was just sucky at the game..

Cz
01-21-2006, 09:35 PM
It is super-hard to get through the parts of the game where you're supposed to be done up like a scientist without the disguise and also without getting spotted.
My conclusion about that fight, while a misconception, was entirely logical. The character you battle spends most of the game ranting about CQC, so it would make perfect sense if you could only defeat her with it.
Calling up your support team on the radio and actually having them explain things like the Scientist disguise is for wusses.
Damn.

Madame Adequate
01-22-2006, 02:34 AM
OK

SO

I WAS KILLING SOME RAPTORS

THEN BAM! LIKE THREE KOLKAR PACKRUNNERS ATTACK ME

WITH LIKE TEN PACKHOUNDS

FUCK

MADE ME MAD

I knew they used that exact route on their insane running patrols, but did I move? Nope. xD

Oh yeah! And I killed like three times the necessary numbers for a quillboar quest and wondered what was going on and why nobody else was bugging, 'cause I wasn't getting credit for the kills. It wasn't until halfway through the next WSG that I remembered raids don't get kill credit.

Slothy
01-22-2006, 03:18 AM
Either that or losing against Chill Penguin with full armor and Flamethrower.

Now I didn't have full armour and the flame weapon, but I just got X Collection last night and came one hit away from losing to Chill Penguin. It was more a combination of not playing in a long time, and not mapping dash to one of the shoulder buttons so I could actually fire, jump and dash all at once, but still, we're talking about the easiest boss in the game here. Looking on the brightside though, I beat every other boss in the game (with the exception of Sigma's final form) with just the X-buster.

MecaKane
01-22-2006, 04:28 AM
Oh yah, I went through half of Xenosaga episode one without pressing right to get to the weapons and armor buying parts. I did get far on just the starting and picked up equipment but I died a lot. :O

krissy
01-22-2006, 04:39 AM
on a similar note, i got to the bike-scene/out-of-midgar-road/motorbossonwheels before realizing what the cure materia does and how materia works in general, as well as without knowing that levelling up makes the characters stronger, so i kept running from as many battles as possible

Rengori
01-22-2006, 04:42 AM
Now I didn't have full armour and the flame weapon, but I just got X Collection last night and came one hit away from losing to Chill Penguin. It was more a combination of not playing in a long time, and not mapping dash to one of the shoulder buttons so I could actually fire, jump and dash all at once, but still, we're talking about the easiest boss in the game here. Looking on the brightside though, I beat every other boss in the game (with the exception of Sigma's final form) with just the X-buster.
Well, that's becuase when you only have 18 health and Chill Penguin does 6 damage when you come in contact with him, it is easy to lose. It only takes three hits, and his other attacks are mean too.

Zeromus_X
01-22-2006, 04:54 AM
in my second play though of ffIX, i forgot where the excavation site (fossil roo) was, and i scoured the mist continent looking for it, forgetting it was in qu's marsh. i think i used up like 2 hours looking for it...well, at least i got to get ap and let quina eat some new enemies...:choc2:

Raistlin
01-22-2006, 05:11 AM
on a similar note, i got to the bike-scene/out-of-midgar-road/motorbossonwheels before realizing what the cure materia does and how materia works in general, as well as without knowing that levelling up makes the characters stronger, so i kept running from as many battles as possible
I think your story of leveling Aeris up to...what, 86? is far better. :p

Kirobaito
01-22-2006, 05:33 AM
In Kingdom Hearts, in Atlantica, I spent hours trying to figure out how to get to the place that the Dolphin takes you. I swear that the Dolphin was not in the room that I was looking in until I had looked for an hour.

escobert
01-22-2006, 05:41 AM
I threw out a quest item in Guild Wars, walked for a while to get to the quest NPC to only find I had thrown the item out.

krissy
01-22-2006, 06:37 AM
I think your story of leveling Aeris up to...what, 86? is far better. :p

when i finish even sephiroth won't be able to hurt her

Zeromus_X
01-22-2006, 07:04 AM
when i finish even sephiroth won't be able to hurt her
we'll just see about that :D :D :D

NeoCracker
01-22-2006, 07:49 AM
In FFV, i was fighting the crystals in that forest place in the second world and discovered what healed the first crystal. Five spells later, I finally stop hitting it whith what was healing it. Also in FFX, when i fough symour the last time i found his element was fire to start with and summoned Ifrit. I was thinking, for some reason, every attack would lead to a counter with his current elememt three times so I could keep attacking physically and get cured winning with nothing but ifrit. I didnt' consider that Semour would attack continuosly until the target was dead with his fire attack, leading to ten minutes of Firaga until i just reset.

fantasyjunkie
01-22-2006, 09:17 AM
When I was playing Ultima Online I packed all my best gear on my fighter so I could cast a recall spell to my friends house so she could repair all my stuff that was damaged in battle. But stupid me, instead of opening the runebook that listed all my friends I opened the one that had all the locations of the baddest dungeons in the land. I appeared at the bottom of the Dungeon Shame and got ganked by several Fire and Acid elementals and I was totally unprepared for combat. I lost a really kick ass sword and some real nice armor. Sad thing was that I couldnt blame anyone but myself :(

Slothy
01-22-2006, 01:36 PM
Well, that's becuase when you only have 18 health and Chill Penguin does 6 damage when you come in contact with him, it is easy to lose. It only takes three hits, and his other attacks are mean too.

True enough, but his attacks are also the easiest to avoid of just about any boss in the game. When you've played the game as much as I have over the years, there's really no excuse for getting hit once let alone almost dieing. I just screwed up.

Rengori
01-22-2006, 08:06 PM
True enough, but his attacks are also the easiest to avoid of just about any boss in the game. When you've played the game as much as I have over the years, there's really no excuse for getting hit once let alone almost dieing. I just screwed up.
You just said there's no excuse, yet you just gave yourself an excuse. Hypocritte.

Madame Adequate
01-23-2006, 01:37 AM
You just said there's no excuse, yet you just gave yourself an excuse. Hypocritte.

Naw, an excuse would be "My controller was gipped" or "The sun's in my eyes!". He just said "Yeah, my bad, I got not defense to this." Not an excuse.

Sir_Auron
02-17-2006, 08:14 PM
The first time I played Kingdom Hearts it took me an hour just to get passed Destiny Islands because I couldn't find the cloth. B)

ROFL, I Got Stuck On That Game Also, It Took Me Like.. 4 Hours Just To Figure Out That I had To Cast Fire On That Door, After You Have Spoken With Cid. God, Thats The Lamest Thing I've Ever Done On A Game. =/

Llednar Twem
02-17-2006, 08:27 PM
I went into the final 3-part boss battle in FFTA and forgot to bring a Target All law card and I kept on getting killed and now I'm stuck there forever because you have to save before entering that battle.

KentaRawr!
02-17-2006, 08:32 PM
I was playing MGS2.

So, there I was: Trying to sneak around, and then I come to a hallway. "Snake, don't go through there! There are alarm lazers in here!" After hearing the message, I go back to the previous room. Wuzzat? Someone coming through the door? Quick! Put the box on! So I put the box on, but they still wonder: What's this box doing here? So they remove the box and almost shoot me. I run into the hallway and into the alarm lasers. Ship blows up. Fission mailed.

Now, let's skip to the END of MGS2.

"Raiden, turn the system off now. You've been playing for a long time." Me: "Huh... okay." (Turns system off.) Me: "Wait, that was a trick wasn't it?" What makes this really stupid is the fact that I forgot to save. >_>

Madame Adequate
02-17-2006, 08:46 PM
Now, let's skip to the END of MGS2.

"Raiden, turn the system off now. You've been playing for a long time." Me: "Huh... okay." (Turns system off.) Me: "Wait, that was a trick wasn't it?" What makes this really stupid is the fact that I forgot to save. >_>

That's pretty awesome, actually.

Medi
02-17-2006, 08:54 PM
In Metroid Prime, it took me forever to figure out that I had to bomb Flaahgra, lol

I never discovered the Junction System of FFVIII until my 3rd play-through of it, and those first 2 were hard.

Ashi
02-17-2006, 09:34 PM
When I started FF11, it took me 30 minutes to figure out how to move. :riiight:

I'll try to explain this one without spoiling anything for Magna Carta: Tears of Blood players. But this happens eary in the game, so :tongue: In some event battle (which happens a while after the save point if you kill all the monsters in the area), one of the characters says to the other that he'll stall while "you" run. In the battle, you try to use the "escape" command but it doesn't work since it's a "boss battle". So like a dumbass you try to kill the boss and it's pretty difficult at that point of the game. It took me something like five tries to realize that oh, I forgot we can move on battle grounds.

In Xenosaga, I also didn't figure out how to change equipment, distribute stats and use/equip/etc the robot things (AWGS, was it? I can't recall).

I can't seem to remember any other dumb things. Most of them are probably related to not being able to figure out stat/equip/skill menus early in the game and getting far without properly learning how.

Shlup
02-17-2006, 09:39 PM
This wasn't me, but it's funny anyway.

We play Resident Evil games as a group. Barry (my boyfriend's brother) plays, and BJ (my boyfriend), their sister, their dad, and I watch and critisize his aim.

In Resident Evil 4 Barry was going through the castle looking for Ashley, and he comes on this dungeon where there's one of those big guys with the giant "Wolveriene" claws and masks and his eyes sewn shut. He's chained to the wall, and we know we need to go in the cage he's in to hit a button or something.

So their dad's like "Well, he's chanined up, maybe he's your friend." So we decided to see if he was a friend. So Barry sets him free and the guy runs straight toward him, runs the claws from one hand through Leon's face, picks him up like that, and runs the other claws through his stomach. We all almost peed. xD

Acid Raine
02-17-2006, 10:14 PM
I never discovered the Junction System of FFVIII until my 3rd play-through of it, and those first 2 were hard.

!!! You mean you actually made it through the game TWICE by only attacking???? Wow...I like....worship you.... Howe did you make it through Ultemecia/Griever/that weird looking thing which name escapes me. I mean.....3 bosses in a row without healing.......