PDA

View Full Version : Guidance Councilors

Rye
01-20-2006, 09:09 PM
I never liked them, but they're really annoying me lately. I guess I have to deal with them more now, since I'm getting to that time where I have to start scouting for Universities to go to and talk to them about what I'm capable with them. I feel so old. xD

They act like a request on their part, despite it being their job, is like asking them to walk on water. They wouldn't even give me an appointment just because I'm a student. I went afterschool with my Mom and we filled out a request for an appointment last week and I still didn't have one, so Mom called up and they were like "Oh, YOU (since they thought I did it) filled out that request? Okay then, we'll schedule in an appointment" though still begrudingly. What is that? Because I'm a student, you can ignore my request? :rolleyes2

Though eventually, Mom finally got the lazy Guidance Councilor to schedule me an appointment in 2 weeks. She even told her exactly what to do so she won't be annoying and vague. We have to talk about if I can get into NYU (my choice college along with Columbia. Both in NYC~) and make me schedule for next year. So we won against the evil lazy guidance councilors. Thaaaanks Mom~ <3

Last year, I had this REALLY lazy guidance councilor who took weeks to find because she always took long lunch breaks when I wanted to talk to her. But she's gone and I have a less lazy, but still lazy, guidance councilor. :p

Plus the secretary of the guidance councilors scares me because she looks like a 42nd Street hooker with lip liner in red but with light lipstick and green eyeshadow and too much eyeliner. ;____;

So generally, my guidance councilor experiences are very annoying. So tell us about your councilors and your experiences and stories? :) And sorry for such a long thread.

DK
01-20-2006, 09:11 PM
We don't have those in this country. :D

Lost Number
01-20-2006, 09:13 PM
Some bloody git from Birmingham. He says "What do you like?". Then no matter what you say, he suggests something like goin to Cardiff because it has a good thingymajig.
Dumbest guy ever.

Rye
01-20-2006, 09:13 PM
We don't have those in this country. :D

You are unbelievably lucky. Who do you guys talk to then to find out what grades you need for Uni and stuff? Harry Potter talked to Proffessor McGonagoll, but you don't live in Harry Potter world... do you? I want live in Harry Potter world. ;__;

And I have a feeling my bag experiences have just started, since I am so certain they'll bitch at me for wanting to major and minor in music (though one being Music Performance: Singing and the other being Musical Education to fall back on just in case. Plus if I can, I'm gonna throw in Photography because it's something that can take my far if I work hard enough.) :)

My name is...something..?
01-20-2006, 09:14 PM
That sounds exactly opposite of my guidance councilors.
You could go in at any point in the day and make an appointment and they'd call you up to the councilors office if you weren't there within five minutes of the appointment.(just in case you forgot, I guess)
She was ver efficient at getting things done and she'd find information of other colleges that you might be interested in if you wanted her to.

Zeldy
01-20-2006, 09:15 PM
I don't think we have them here. But I have a Pastoral Leader. She isnt a qualifyed teacher so she sits in the year 9 office all day x_x

Old Manus
01-20-2006, 09:33 PM
Guidance Councillors are secretly unsure what to do with their life

Faris
01-20-2006, 09:33 PM
My Guidance Councilor has helped me with a rumor problem and she helped me organize what classes I wanted to be in and told me what I needed to change to so that I can go to university and such. She's really nice. :)

Rye
01-21-2006, 01:52 PM
My Guidance Councilor has helped me with a rumor problem and she helped me organize what classes I wanted to be in and told me what I needed to change to so that I can go to university and such. She's really nice. :)

That's good! I wish our guidance counilors were like that.

Chris
01-21-2006, 01:57 PM
I remember going to one, but that was not a pleasing experience at all. I was going to attend an art school, and all the response I got was: "Really, you? I don't see that happening at all". I hate them.

Epiphany
01-21-2006, 01:59 PM
A lot of my guidance councilors, when I attended school, were a pain in the ass, but that's probably because I never went to their office on good terms. I was always called in with someone else to be confronted. XD

I DID have one good guidance councilor though, I forget his name. But, I went through that whole teenage angst bit, because my family had moved about a thousand times and I just figured that since we move so much, what's the point of making friends when I'll just have to leave them again. So, instead I talked to my councilor, and he helped me out loads.

Shauna
01-21-2006, 02:21 PM
We have Guidance people up here in Scotland. Maybe it's just not the Englishers! :D

But, my Guidance Teacher is alright. :D

Breine
01-21-2006, 03:22 PM
My old guidance councilor was really, really weird. He was this tall and shaped like a pear. We called him Baloo because his appearances and his voice was just like Baloo. Unfortunately he was not as enjoyable and nice as the actual Baloo...

I remember once in Danish class where we were learning about commercials and we were watching a TV commercial with clear sexual undertones, and suddenly he just opened the classroom door, peeped in, and said: "That is my favourite commercial of all time, hehe", and then he left. The entire class was just silent for a moment before we all started to laugh out loud.

I guess he was okay as an actual guidance councilor, though... just a strange, bitter, and very weird man.

Doomie
01-21-2006, 05:57 PM
My guidance counselor from a couple years back was pretty fun. He visited one class a day and used to make these corny raps. The one I have now has a lisp, so he's preety cool.

Raistlin
01-21-2006, 06:16 PM
My counselor was great. I could go in at any point (as long as he wasn't busy) and just talk with him. He reviewed all my applications, gave suggestions about which colleges I would like, etc. Of course, I went to a small private school.

The deplorable college counselor system is one of the main reasons that public schools suck.