PDA

View Full Version : Cloud or Squall?

Psydekick
01-21-2006, 10:02 AM
Which one of these two would win in a fight:)

?????
01-21-2006, 10:29 AM
Cloud, EASILY. Squall's strength relies entirely on Guardian Forces. Without them, he's nothing. He's certainly physically fit, and perhaps even up to Olympian standards, but he's not a superman like Cloud. In Advent Children, Cloud is shown chopping massive chunks of concrete and steel in half, using telekinesis without equipping any Materia (how the hell else do you think he flies like that?), swinging a sword that no doubt weighs at least a hundred pounds around like a drumstick, surviving stratospheric falls without so much as a scratch, and defeating no less than three deadly super-enemies in rapid succession before finally tiring out and succumbing to a gunshot, and even then he was only knocked out, as actual resurrection is impossible. There literally is no question of who would be victorious. The difference between the easily abused game mechanics of FFVII and those of FFVIII are that those of VII are shown to actually be a fairly good approximation of the "real" abilities of the characters.

HowlingMonkey
01-21-2006, 12:18 PM
Locke

Captain Maxx Power
01-21-2006, 01:01 PM
Wolverine

Christmas
01-21-2006, 01:17 PM
I dislike the fact that the thread title is "Cloud or Squall" instead of "Squall or Cloud" which mean the whole situation is obviously against Squall since his name dun get to appear first.

So I will vote PuPu.

Shin Gouken
01-21-2006, 01:33 PM
If you took away their weapons, cloud would probabley destroy squall. They both have a similar personality what with not talking about their problems etc. But Cloud's got that kind of tough man thing with his, whearas Squall just comes of as a whiney lil girl. Cloud would punch him in the face and Squall would be all like "we're not enemies man, we just have different views" :D

Contrary to what i just wrote, i actually liked squall better :greenie:

RaidenWeb17
01-21-2006, 01:50 PM
Squall

Alexander
01-21-2006, 02:38 PM
Cloud or Squall? None of them. Kuja appears, uses Ultima and Cloud and Squall are desintegrated. Weeee~

No, really. I hate those topics. Cloud is the third most overrated character in videogame history IMO (First is Sephiroth, second is Zero from Rockman series) ans Squall is the worst character I've even seen, and, along with Rinoa, the main reason that I have to hate FFVIII.

Well, let's suppose that I can imagien Cloud and Squall dighting ithout anyone from another FF blasting them. I think that Squall could win. He may depend on GFs, but nothing in the topic says that they should fight with only their fists. Squall would own Cloud with Lionheart, that is faster and easier to get than Omnislash. And Lionheart have, at least, 3 more hits than Omnislash. And what if Cloud has KotR? Squall could simply put a GF to take the damage, Cloud can't do that. XD

EDIT: I won't lose my time counting how many FFVIItards/Cloud Fanboys will try to discuss my point of view. XD

Suikojowy
01-21-2006, 04:29 PM
Cloud or Squall? None of them. Kuja appears, uses Ultima and Cloud and Squall are desintegrated. Weeee~

No, really. I hate those topics. Cloud is the third most overrated character in videogame history IMO (First is Sephiroth, second is Zero from Rockman series) ans Squall is the worst character I've even seen, and, along with Rinoa, the main reason that I have to hate FFVIII.

Well, let's suppose that I can imagien Cloud and Squall dighting ithout anyone from another FF blasting them. I think that Squall could win. He may depend on GFs, but nothing in the topic says that they should fight with only their fists. Squall would own Cloud with Lionheart, that is faster and easier to get than Omnislash. And Lionheart have, at least, 3 more hits than Omnislash. And what if Cloud has KotR? Squall could simply put a GF to take the damage, Cloud can't do that. XD

EDIT: I won't lose my time counting how many FFVIItards/Cloud Fanboys will try to discuss my point of view. XD

Win!

~SapphireStar~
01-21-2006, 05:29 PM
Squall.

Nick Schovitz
01-21-2006, 05:36 PM
There seems to be a lot of spamming in this thread anyways, I'll have to go with Squall, he's my favorite FF character and I don't like Cloud because he's a part of FFvII which I hate.

Psydekick
01-21-2006, 06:06 PM
Please stop spamming in this thread:(

Setzer Gabianni
01-21-2006, 07:17 PM
You're spamming and also going off topic >.o

Squall. Because? Character wise, he has a lot more potential, and overrall, I find him less annoying. Thought I despise the gunblade, he was a good person to use in battle. More enjoyable.

Marluxiaswife
01-21-2006, 08:27 PM
SQUALL SQUALL SQUALL :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

Earith
01-21-2006, 08:29 PM
Squall, it is not just the gunblade that can kick Cloud's ass, but the millions of fan girls that adore him that will trample Cloud just to get to him. ^.^

Rogue
01-21-2006, 08:46 PM
clouds cool

kikimm
01-21-2006, 09:42 PM
Please stop with the mod-whoring, guys. IF you think a thread is taking a turn for the worse, warn it, and we'll get on top of it in a jiffy.

I'll always think Squall will win. Whether or not that's just because I like him a whole lot better (because he's like, a real person), I don't know and I don't care. :D

Sanji
01-21-2006, 10:08 PM
Squall, it is not just the gunblade that can kick Cloud's ass, but the millions of fan girls that adore him that will trample Cloud just to get to him. ^.^

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!!

I love squall :love: but I'll admit that Cloud could win because if we consider Cloud from FFVII AC Squall couldn't stand a chance against it... But of course Squall dont go off so easy though.... but would be a hell of a battle XD.... Omnislash Vs Lionheart Ex-Soldier vs SeeD Mercenary vs Knight Ultima Weapon vs Lionheart.... wooow XD Cheers for SQUAAAAAAALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Earith
01-21-2006, 10:32 PM
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!!

I love squall :love: but I'll admit that Cloud could win because if we consider Cloud from FFVII AC Squall couldn't stand a chance against it... But of course Squall dont go off so easy though.... but would be a hell of a battle XD.... Omnislash Vs Lionheart Ex-Soldier vs SeeD Mercenary vs Knight Ultima Weapon vs Lionheart.... wooow XD Cheers for SQUAAAAAAALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

?????
01-21-2006, 10:40 PM

You want to give an energy estimate for Kuja's variation of Ultima? If not, I'd better not hear anything like that out of you. It's certainly no more damaging than the kinetic energy required to summon Meteor; if that KE can be applied to a rock, it can certainly be applied to a human. Also, if you want to argue game mechanics, the maximum HP a GF can have is 9999, while Knights of the Round's 13 hits can easily deal tens of thousands of HP in damage. Kuja might be able to take Cloud, but I personally doubt that.

Sephiroth and Cloud are a bit overrated. Overrated doesn't mean bad, or weak. They're insanely strong and durable. Zero is also a bit overrated, though I think he's just a compulsive suicide bomber. Maybe he's trying to get into heaven where God will present him with 72 unused USB ports to have his way with.

But you want to know who's really overrated by smelly otaku everywhere? KEFKA. Oh my GOD, people, he is not that great. Seriously, get your hands out of your pants.

Magoichi92
01-21-2006, 11:04 PM
I think sephiroth would win, lol

Lost Number
01-21-2006, 11:19 PM
Squall. His Lionheart attack is the most damaging attack in the games.

namineicey
01-21-2006, 11:34 PM
Cxiymm, Ra ec cu lida yht E muja res ajah eh Gehktus Rayndc 1 & 2, Drao cruimt syta y Vehym Vyhdyco JEEE-2

Awesomeman
01-21-2006, 11:47 PM
Cxiymm, Ra ec cu lida yht E muja res ajah eh Gehktus Rayndc 1 & 2, Drao cruimt syta y Vehym Vyhdyco JEEE-2

I agree with oui. But I don't think anyone else can read Al Bhed.

Suikojowy
01-21-2006, 11:50 PM
http://albhed.netfirms.com/

?????
01-22-2006, 12:50 AM

Post in English, or get out.

Rice Cake
01-22-2006, 03:00 AM

You don't have to be a jerk just because she knows more about Final Fantasy than you.

I think Squall would win because he could shoot Cloud without moving.

TheSpoonyBard
01-22-2006, 03:04 AM
Squall.

He's held a 2:1 win over Cloud all day.

Dreddz
01-22-2006, 03:10 AM
Cloud
Just cause I like FFVII better.........:p

Awesomeman
01-22-2006, 03:12 AM

Stop modwhoring and anyway it is her opinion.

Slade
01-22-2006, 06:29 AM
Squall. Because I like him better.

Psydekick
01-22-2006, 09:21 AM
It looks like most people has said Squall so far...:)

Setzer Gabianni
01-22-2006, 11:34 AM
No-one is modwhoring, but it would be nice if we could all understand and be able to understand what people have written.

Rice Cake, it has nothing to do with her knowing more about FF. He isn't insuliting her opinion, though he was a bit rude.

Sora!, thanks for stating the obvious ;p

It's about time Squall ruled supreme in this :D

I originally liked him in FFVII, Cloud, but he has been used too much in everything.

Neco Arc
01-22-2006, 03:18 PM
hmm... neither... because Cloud will lose to this guy :tonberry:
and http://www.videogamesprites.net/FinalFantasy6/Party/Celes/Celes%20-%20Laugh.gif >> Squall

hence Celes = winner...

Psydekick
01-22-2006, 07:00 PM
Right now, which weapon is better Gunblade or Cloud's Blade?:)

TheSpoonyBard
01-22-2006, 07:04 PM
Gunblade.

Slade
01-23-2006, 06:19 AM
Definatly the gunblade. The buster sword was rediculous.

Alexander
01-23-2006, 01:01 PM
You want to give an energy estimate for Kuja's variation of Ultima? If not, I'd better not hear anything like that out of you. It's certainly no more damaging than the kinetic energy required to summon Meteor; if that KE can be applied to a rock, it can certainly be applied to a human. Also, if you want to argue game mechanics, the maximum HP a GF can have is 9999, while Knights of the Round's 13 hits can easily deal tens of thousands of HP in damage. Kuja might be able to take Cloud, but I personally doubt that.

Sephiroth and Cloud are a bit overrated. Overrated doesn't mean bad, or weak. They're insanely strong and durable. Zero is also a bit overrated, though I think he's just a compulsive suicide bomber. Maybe he's trying to get into heaven where God will present him with 72 unused USB ports to have his way with.

But you want to know who's really overrated by smelly otaku everywhere? KEFKA. Oh my GOD, people, he is not that great. Seriously, get your hands out of your pants.

Well, only one guy answered me. It could be worse. It could be... A SEPHY FANGIRL O_O (no offenses to anyone XP)

Well, let's go~

1- Man, I was kidding about Kuja's thing. Geez! -_- I still think that Kuja's Ultima > Sephy's lame Meteor, but let's continue.

2- Okay, if the GF won't take the damage, Defend certainly will. If not even Terra Break can stand against Defend, why would thirteen idiot knights with lame attacks be able to pierce it?

3- Well, let me quote you:

"Oh my GOD, people, he is not that great. Seriously, get your hands out of your pants."

That applies perfectly to Sephiroth and Cloud. And Zero, but that's not the subject XD~

4- Kefka _is_ that great! T_T

MetaphysicalManifestation
01-23-2006, 01:12 PM
Well since Squall was pretty much a Cloud clone, I guess I'm going to have to go with the original.

As for the weapons...I really don't care.

TheSpoonyBard
01-23-2006, 02:45 PM
In what ways was Squall a 'Cloud clone'?

Blonde? No.
A result of experimentation? No.
Haunted by his lack of knowledge of the past? No.
Drawn to the enemy because of the cells injected into his body? No.

Oh, wait. They both had a sword. And they were both in a game called Final Fantasy. It all makes sense now.

01-23-2006, 03:31 PM
Both are emotionally fucked.

Both have trouble communicating with others.

Neither can clearly remember their past.

Both have the whole ‘lone wolf’ image going for them.

Both are mercenaries.

Both are ‘girly men’ (ok, the same can be said for half of guys in the series, but there you go)

Both overcome emotional obstacles because of their love interests.

Both have a subsidiary love interest, who just sort of fades out of the picture for one reason or another (Aerith because she dies, Quistis because she sucks).

Both have the amazing ability to survive being stabbed with a sharp, pointy object.

Both are named after the weather.

Oh, and yes. They both had a sword.

Psydekick
01-23-2006, 03:40 PM
Cloud and squall, are not similiar at all :)

01-23-2006, 03:42 PM
Yeah except for, you know, that list of things I just pointed out.

Slade
01-24-2006, 04:11 AM
Both are emotionally smurfed.

Both are mercenaries.

Both are ‘girly men’ (ok, the same can be said for half of guys in the series, but there you go)

Both have a subsidiary love interest, who just sort of fades out of the picture for one reason or another (Aerith because she dies, Quistis because she sucks).

Both have the amazing ability to survive being stabbed with a sharp, pointy object.

Both are named after the whether.

Cloud had all these? I was unaware that Cloud had any personality at all. Yet another reason why Squall was better and another reason why the two are not alike.

DJZen
01-24-2006, 06:28 AM
Heidegger pwnz them both.

Psydekick
01-24-2006, 07:17 AM
Huh:confused:

Yuffie514
01-24-2006, 08:24 AM
Squall. the best man should be placed as the first option in the poll (but Red is creaming Blue of course)...

Moon Rabbits
01-24-2006, 01:38 PM
Cloud, EASILY. Squall's strength relies entirely on Guardian Forces. Without them, he's nothing. He's certainly physically fit, and perhaps even up to Olympian standards, but he's not a superman like Cloud. In Advent Children, Cloud is shown chopping massive chunks of concrete and steel in half, using telekinesis without equipping any Materia (how the hell else do you think he flies like that?), swinging a sword that no doubt weighs at least a hundred pounds around like a drumstick, surviving stratospheric falls without so much as a scratch, and defeating no less than three deadly super-enemies in rapid succession before finally tiring out and succumbing to a gunshot, and even then he was only knocked out, as actual resurrection is impossible. There literally is no question of who would be victorious. The difference between the easily abused game mechanics of FFVII and those of FFVIII are that those of VII are shown to actually be a fairly good approximation of the "real" abilities of the characters.

Hey buddy, How about NOT spoiling Advent Children for those of us who've got too small a hard drive to download it!

skatehatedestroy
01-24-2006, 01:42 PM
Cloud, cos i dont have FFVIII

Psydekick
01-24-2006, 04:17 PM
Ah now which one of their lovers is better Aeris or Rinoa:)

skatehatedestroy
01-24-2006, 04:20 PM
Aeris, cos she dies, lol

01-24-2006, 04:26 PM
Tifa.

Although, wouldn't it be better to make another thread for this...?

Moon Rabbits
01-24-2006, 05:49 PM
Rinoa. By far.

*~Endless Night~*
01-24-2006, 05:52 PM
I love them both but I think I have to say Cloud

Psydekick
01-24-2006, 08:37 PM
Tifa.

Although, wouldn't it be better to make another thread for this...?
Ok (I won't make another thread just forget it):)

Alexander
01-25-2006, 02:02 PM
Rinoa, even though I don't like hr. It's just because she manages to be alive the whole gme, that's all. :rolleyes2

Magoichi92
01-26-2006, 03:29 AM
I like Tifa better, but i'm not going to fight about it, everyone has there own opinion

Slade
01-26-2006, 03:48 AM
Probably Aeris. I like Rinoa too but Aeris a little more. I don't like Tifa one bit (well, actually, I like to use her, I just don't like her personality and such)

Zechs
01-26-2006, 06:06 AM
I remember that Game Informer had a poll about this very topic. A duel between Cloud or Squall. But the ironic thing was that Berret interfered and won. It was a cage match between the two of them, they fought, Cloud shattered the blade on Squalls GunBlade, then he blasted Cloud. Barret was in the corner and fired on Squall.
Thats how that was anyway. I personally choose Cloud.

?????
01-26-2006, 08:33 AM
Well, only one guy answered me. It could be worse. It could be... A SEPHY FANGIRL O_O (no offenses to anyone XP)

Well, let's go~

1- Man, I was kidding about Kuja's thing. Geez! -_- I still think that Kuja's Ultima > Sephy's lame Meteor, but let's continue.

2- Okay, if the GF won't take the damage, Defend certainly will. If not even Terra Break can stand against Defend, why would thirteen idiot knights with lame attacks be able to pierce it?

3- Well, let me quote you:

"Oh my GOD, people, he is not that great. Seriously, get your hands out of your pants."

That applies perfectly to Sephiroth and Cloud. And Zero, but that's not the subject XD~

4- Kefka _is_ that great! T_T

1) Kuja's Ultima might well surpass Meteor, but that's hard to determine, as I lack the thermodynamic specifications of the composition of the buildings on Terra. His Ultima did not actually destroy the planet; it merely leveled all of the buildings. We have the capacity to accomplish this right now with our nuclear arsenal, which has a total energy capacity of approximately 18 GT. Granted, our entire planet isn't covered with dome buildings, but if Terra's gravity is anything close to Earth standard, it isn't going to require much more than that. Meteor, by contrast, is big enough to where it can be seen from across the world. This requires it to be absolutely goddamned massive, added to the fact that it appears to be infused with magical power that among other things effected a dramatic temperature increase. At the speed it appeared to be moving (very slowly in astronomical terms) it would have to be massive to effect any damage at all, let alone destroy humanity. The asteroid that caused the K-T extinction event 65 million years ago was about ten kilometers across and unleashed an explosion with energy equivalent to 100 TT. Due to the nature of Sephiroth's plan, creating a new wound in the planet even bigger than the North Crater, which is at least a few miles in diameter, this must at least be repeated, if not exceeded. The precise dynamics of Meteor are a difficult issue, unfortunately, but at this point it seems likely that Meteor is more powerful.

2) I dislike arguing game mechanics when better windows into the game world are available, but since so many seem bent on doing it I'll play along.

Terra Break can easily break through Defend. It actually hits more times than KOTR, being matched in the series only by the Highwind's missile launchers. However, each blast from Terra Break only hits one character and does a relatively fixed amount of damage, as opposed to KOTR, which hits everyone and can do up to 9999 each time. Each hit from Terra Break does 3000-4000 damage and will almost always kill two out of your three characters. If you only have one character standing at the time he launches it, you won't survive even with Protect, Defend, and 9999 HP.

Oh, and those thirteen "idiot knights" you mentioned? You're talking about Arthur Pendragon, or at least an approximation thereof. Show some respect. Dissing the King is like saying that Jesus was a car thief.

3) First, Zero has his own series; come back when you've played and beaten all of them. Second, X is actually stronger than Zero. Third, Cloud and Sephiroth may be overrated in terms of popularity, but that in no measure lessens their actual physical strength. Also, overrated doesn't mean bad.

4) Kefka's entire story is lame and contrived, and Kefka himself is weak in terms of complexity; contrary to the beliefs of pretentious English majors and RPG nerds with body odor, he's actually one of the worst villains that's ever been featured in a videogame whose story purports to be serious. He has a high LOL factor and Dancing Mad to his credit, but that's about it. He fails miserably in comparison to Sephiroth, and most other villains out there as well. He's quite simply very badly written.

Slade, your response to Metaphysical constituted a strawman, dodging the issue, and an inadequate rebuttal. Try again.

Alexander
01-26-2006, 12:37 PM
????, the fact that you put Arthur Pendragon in the same level of Jesus, and the fact that you called Kefka fans of "pretentious English majors" and "RPG nerds with body odor" and the fact that you are talking like a superior entity (I have played Zero's series ¬¬') makes me get to the conclusion that you can't be taken seriously. No, really. I won't waste my time with some Sephy fanboy with superiority complex just because he knows a thing or two about physics.

NeoCracker
01-26-2006, 01:02 PM
Attempting to get back on topic, Squall would lose. Because I would be sniping at him.

As for the Meteor/Ultima. Meteor takes forever to hit while Ultima is cast normally. Say your in a fight and cast meteor. In one week you'd kill them, but you'd been fried by Ultima long before that. Therefore Ultima wins.

blackmage_nuke
01-26-2006, 01:38 PM
Squall would win, because he could take a Hero and Cloud could use as many KoRT's as he wants and Squall would just whack him with his sword that goes bang.

Mirage
01-26-2006, 02:55 PM
Squall would. Because both characters can deal 9999 damage, and Squall can get the "Initiative" ability, thus making him attack first.

Psydekick
01-26-2006, 03:52 PM
Squall i think would probably kick any FF characters butt:)

Lychon
01-28-2006, 07:28 AM
The mere fact that Squall is 17 and Cloud 21, and Squall is STILL competition for Cloud proves in my mind that Squall would utterly massacre Strife.

ljkkjlcm9
01-28-2006, 08:03 AM
I like em both, and the only game they're both in, is Kingdom Hearts, and they're on the same side (well at least in KH2 that's clear)

As for the whole Zero thing, zero is just cool, because he has a sword. And I own every Megaman Zero game, and they're fun and hard at the same time, but I definitely enjoy using the sword. Plus they're better for Zero than the X games because it was designed for the sword, while the X games were not, they were designed for X. So, when I play X games, I use X, even though I do think Zero is cool cause of the sword, and then I enjoy the Zero games.

But back to the topic. Who's better? Well, at what point? It's such a biased opinion, if you like one character better, you can't even analyze the situation. There are so many things to determine, what world is it in. Do GFs exist, does Materia Exist. What weapons do they have. What level are they. Why would they even fight to see who is better.
(note, all those questions should have one of these ?)

Anyways, what I'm saying, is it's a pointless argument. Do you like red apples of green apples better? You can't tell which one is truly better. They're both apples, so it's just about your preference, you can't honestly compare them and say one is definitely better than the other.

THE JACKEL

Lychon
01-28-2006, 08:15 AM
Both are emotionally smurfed.

Both are mercenaries.

Both are named after the weather.

This is the most ridiculous logic I've heard yet. I bet you believe in the rumors that Ronald Wilson Reagan was the anti-Christ because each of his names has 6 letters in it. Or maybe that JFK was a clone of Abraham Lincoln due to all the similarities of their assassinations. You take the lead characters in back-to-back Final Fantasy titles, listing 10 vague attributes and expect this to be a defense for Squall being a "clone" of Cloud?

They both may have a "lone wolf" identity in the beginning of the games, but their history and actions later in the game differ greatly. It seems like you just regarded the first hour of game play in FF8 and forgot that it spanned 4 discs. Hmmm....

Since you probably forgot, I'll remind you that the reasons for why Squall's personality is mostly introverted is not a result of him not remembering his past, as IS the case with Cloud.

Do you know what the primary definition of mercenary is? Mercenary:
1.One who serves or works merely for monetary gain; a hireling.
This applies to Cloud but not at all to Squall, who is a recently graduated STUDENT of the SEED PROGRAM, just in case you forgot...

If you believe Squall ever had a love interest in Quistis, then you seriously misunderstood the game.

Nearly ALL lead Final Fantasy characters overcome emotional obstacles and nearly ALL have love interests which influence this.

"Girly men?" This is your opinion, and a rather stupid one, if you really believe it. Girly men are men who are weak or pathetic, lacking favourable male attributes of strength, leadership, and skill in various disciplines. This doesn't make any sense regarding the lead characters of Final Fantasy games...ok, maybe FFXII.

Naming after weather phenomena has nothing to do with the character's personality.

Oh, and Tidus had a sword too, along with a boatload of other people from Final Fantasy, such as Cecil, Marcus, Beatrix, Seifer, Paine, Ashe, etc...

-So what do you have left? "Both can't clearly remember their past and both were stabbed by a sharp, pointy object." Wow, you convinced me, you know, because Squall and Cloud's pasts are SO similar, right? Maybe if you actually thought about these points you were making you'd realize that you're just grasping at straws while trying to defend FF7. Just because a great game like 7 was trumped by its successor, does not mean you should start proliferating hate and bitterness. I mean, I loved Terminator 1, but Judgment Day was just better, you understand now?

Good argument though....don't quit your day job. lol

01-28-2006, 09:30 AM
This is the most ridiculous logic I've heard yet. I bet you believe in the rumors that Ronald Wilson Reagan was the anti-Christ because each of his names has 6 letters in it. Or maybe that JFK was a clone of Abraham Lincoln due to all the similarities of their assassinations. You take the lead characters in back-to-back Final Fantasy titles, listing 10 vague attributes and expect this to be a defense for Squall being a "clone" of Cloud?

Look, let’s get a few things straight first of all

1. I like Squall as a character, I just don’t think he was entire original

2. In general, I like FFVIII just as much as FFVII (this relates to some of your later comments)

2. You’re acting as if by saying ‘clone’ I mean it literally. ‘Clone’ in this case means that there are several undeniable similarities between the characters that make them rather alike.

They both may have a "lone wolf" identity in the beginning of the games, but their history and actions later in the game differ greatly. It seems like you just regarded the first hour of game play in FF8 and forgot that it spanned 4 discs. Hmmm.…

Seems to me like he doesn't ditch it until about half way though disk 3. Either way, I never said that they remain 'lone wolves', but they do have that image going for them. Hell, the fact that they both ditch it pretty convincingly could be twisted into yet another similarity that characters have :p.

Since you probably forgot, I'll remind you that the reasons for why Squall's personality is mostly introverted is not a result of him not remembering his past, as IS the case with Cloud.
Did I state anything contrary to this? What exactly is your point?

Do you know what the primary definition of mercenary is? Mercenary:
1.One who serves or works merely for monetary gain; a hireling.
This applies to Cloud but not at all to Squall, who is a recently graduated STUDENT of the SEED PROGRAM, just in case you forgot…

SeeD are mercenaries. They are hired out to multiple organisations during that game. It’s only until later when you find out the ‘true’ intentions SeeD was to create warriors to kill the Sorceresses.

If you believe Squall ever had a love interest in Quistis, then you seriously misunderstood the game.

Quistis crakcs onto Squall at the beginning of the game almost as much as Aeris cracks onto Cloud. As it turns out, Quistis wasn’t really in love with Squall, but then Aeris wasn’t really in love with Cloud either. He simply reminded her of Zach (this is further verified by the ending to Advent Children)

Nearly ALL lead Final Fantasy characters overcome emotional obstacles and nearly ALL have love interests which influence this.

Nope. Zidane snaps out of his little spat due to his instrumentality with ALL of his fiends, not just Garnet. Yuna doesn’t even find out that Tidus is a dream until the very end. Rosa wasn’t with Cecil during his little epiphany moment when he turns into a Paladin either.

"Girly men?" This is your opinion, and a rather stupid one, if you really believe it. Girly men are men who are weak or pathetic, lacking favourable male attributes of strength, leadership, and skill in various disciplines. This doesn't make any sense regarding the lead characters of Final Fantasy games...ok, maybe FFXII.

Half the characters that Amano drew looked like women. Squall is based on Gackt, have you seen Gackt? There are jokes contained within FFVII that Cloud could pass as a woman.

Naming after weather phenomena has nothing to do with the character's personality.

Did I say it had something to do with personality? No, it’s just another aspect the two characters share.

Oh, and Tidus had a sword too, along with a boatload of other people from Final Fantasy, such as Cecil, Marcus, Beatrix, Seifer, Paine, Ashe, etc…

That was in response to some other guy, who stated the only thing the two characters had in common was that they both used a sword.

-So what do you have left? "Both can't clearly remember their past and both were stabbed by a sharp, pointy object." Wow, you convinced me, you know, because Squall and Cloud's pasts are SO similar, right? Maybe if you actually thought about these points you were making you'd realize that you're just grasping at straws while trying to defend FF7. Just because a great game like 7 was trumped by its successor, does not mean you should start proliferating hate and bitterness. I mean, I loved Terminator 1, but Judgment Day was just better, you understand now?

Hate and bitterness? Are you out of your mind? I just said that I like Cloud more, because he and Squall are very similar (I would use the word ‘clone’ again, but then you might go all medieval on my arse) but Cloud did it all first.

Seriously, there are far more people out there saying crap that is far more baseless that what I said. IMO, I think all of my points are pretty valid. Let me say it again, I like FFVIII, and I find it amusing ( well, annoying as well, but mainly amusing) that you could have possibly have interpreted what I said as the mindless ravings of a ’BOO FFVIII YAY FFVII’ fanatic.

ljkkjlcm9
01-28-2006, 04:33 PM
i got two things to say.... Cloud doesn't ahve trouble communicating, he just has trouble remembering what is real is his past, he has no problem talking to people and telling them his stories, where as Squall doesn't say anything.

And secondly, Cloud is a mercenary for like 10 minutes of the game, where as Squall and SEED is a Mercenary Group.

OH and just so ?????? knows, people love Kefka, because he's funny and insane and he actually ruled over the earth for a long period of time, making him successful at what he did.

THE JACKEL

raskerino
01-28-2006, 05:10 PM
In response to MetaphysicalManifestation:

Did I state anything contrary to this? What exactly is your point?

His point was that while neither can remember their pasts they are immensely different, maning a huge difference in their characters (I assume, it seems like that's what it must have meant and it's a good point).

I'm not going to respond to many other points because I don't want an argument but I just want to say it feels like a lot of them are about story around them not character or personality itself. These are similar characters but not clones. You can insult him about attacking these words all you want but that's what you said and that's wrong. You then clarified, but you insulted him ("I would use the word ‘clone’ again, but then you might go all medieval on my arse") over thinking a different meaning of the word, which you shouldn't do. Either way clone does imply the same so I have to disagree with that part of the response. They are similar characters but there are also major differences (not saying you ever claimed there weren't), and as what you originally said was:

Well since Squall was pretty much a Cloud clone, I guess I'm going to have to go with the original.

I think you're wrong. It's a generalization that doesn't work. There may be another reason but the reason you gave also doesn't even fit the question- who would win in a fight...

So now I'll answer that with what I posted in another thread:

My Analysis goes:
Squall has better training, he was trained to be an elite while Cloud was a grunt soldier. Cloud was boosted by Mako powers (which we can't evaluate) while we know Squall is hugely boosted by GFs. I'll call this even though battle system evidence leads us to believe Squall gets a greater boost. Cloud's FMV achievements are definitely more impressive though. I'd say they both have advantages and are different fighters though I would give Squall an edge.
In-battle:
Squall at 170 speed is about 4x as fast as Cloud at 255. So in his 4 turns he could easily toss himself a hero and cast aura before absolutely destroying. And if it didn't kill Cloud he's in invincible with 4 turns to Cloud's one.
Actually:
a) There in different worlds.
b) Squall fights for a purpose (though it may be as simple as work), I think by the end of the game thiough he wouldn't fight for something he didn't believe in, and as there would be no point in him fighting Cloud I don't think he would.
c) Cloud's easier to see fighting the other as a mercenary but he also develops throughout the game making it again unlikely that they'd fight.
d) So no, they probably wouldn't fight.
e) Your mom.
f) On the other hand there is not much of a chance they'd fight each other alone:
As shown above the battle system hugely favors FFVIII characters.
FFVIII characters also have consistently far more training. The FFVIII characters had the most training in the storyline of any of the later FF (possibly all but I'm not an authority) so they'd be favored in any match. The speed in the battle system also makes them the strongest in a direct comparison so that can be considered accurate.

Winner: No one, or Squall

And one more thing to add, fights can be hugely based on luck, terrain makes a difference, how prepared you are, whether you've had enough to eat or are tired- so many things could make a large impact, including the crowd or their social lives. Either could win I'm just saying Squall would have a reasonable edge.

Edit: And on Kefka, I think he's an okay villian. He's funa and that's it. His motives aren't well done nor is there an interesting character. But it's good that so many people like him, he's fun. And insulting that is pointless and imperious (?????? has been banned so he can't respond).

01-28-2006, 05:54 PM
I'm not going to respond to many other points because I don't want an argument but I just want to say it feels like a lot of them are about story around them not character or personality itself. These are similar characters but not clones. You can insult him about attacking these words all you want but that's what you said and that's wrong. You then clarified, but you insulted him ("I would use the word ‘clone’ again, but then you might go all medieval on my arse") over thinking a different meaning of the word, which you shouldn't do. Either way clone does imply the same so I have to disagree with that part of the response.

I'm sorry, but I think it's absolutely ridiculous for him to consider that I meant Squall was literally a clone of Cloud. The definition I gave is widely accepted in relation to the word now days, and it doesn't necessarily mean a complete copy. Zechs Merquise from Mobile Suit Gundam Wing is often described as a 'Char Aznable' clone, and you would be insane if you thought that he was a perfect copy. That, combined with that fact that he accused me of 'hating on FFVIII' didn't really give me the incentive to give a polite response.

I think you're wrong. It's a generalization that doesn't work. There may be another reason but the reason you gave also doesn't even fit the question- who would win in a fight...

That was the question? /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif, my bad.

Lychon
01-28-2006, 08:23 PM
I'm sorry, but I think it's absolutely ridiculous for him to consider that I meant Squall was literally a clone of Cloud. The definition I gave is widely accepted in relation to the word now days, and it doesn't necessarily mean a complete copy. Zechs Merquise from Mobile Suit Gundam Wing is often described as a 'Char Aznable' clone, and you would be insane if you thought that he was a perfect copy. That, combined with that fact that he accused me of 'hating on FFVIII' didn't really give me the incentive to give a polite response.

That was the question? /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif, my bad.

Ok, my first response to you was a little harsh, but I accused you of hating on FFVIII because that is the impression I got from your previous posts. Even if you do hate FFVIII, that's your opinion and I didn't mean to insult you because of it.

What I'm saying is that many of the common characteristics you cited appear to me as surface similarities and opinions. Playing through Final Fantasy 7 and 8, I recieved a completely different idea of Cloud and Squall's personalities. You, obviously thought them to be more alike than not.

-Alex

Samuraid
01-28-2006, 10:32 PM
Cloud, hands down.

Death Penalty
02-02-2006, 08:54 PM
This is the most ridiculous logic I've heard yet. I bet you believe in the rumors that Ronald Wilson Reagan was the anti-Christ because each of his names has 6 letters in it. Or maybe that JFK was a clone of Abraham Lincoln due to all the similarities of their assassinations.
I do. Only the devil is that much of an asswhole.

The mere fact that Squall is 17 and Cloud 21, and Squall is STILL competition for Cloud proves in my mind that Squall would utterly massacre Strife.
Um sure I guess the fact there from different worlds doesnt play into your "theory"at all.

SoulTaker*
02-02-2006, 09:56 PM
I picked Cloud because I think I picked Squall in another thread, anyway im going to cop out and say that it would end in a tie, they are both too cool to lose. Although in the end I think they just massacre the whole cast of Spirits Within.

DeathKnight
02-03-2006, 04:35 AM
Squall:twak:

Excalibur11
02-03-2006, 04:45 AM
They would be locked in a battle for eternity. Until, of course, one of them dies of starvation... though they dont really seem to eat much in Final Fantasy, so I guess they would survive for a few weeks or so...

Psydekick
02-03-2006, 08:06 AM
It starting to even out know......:)

Lychon
02-12-2006, 01:39 AM
I do. Only the devil is that much of an asswhole.

Um sure I guess the fact there from different worlds doesnt play into your "theory"at all.

What are you talking about? The fact that they are in different worlds has NOTHING at all to do with what I said. I was referring to their ages, which by the way, is measured in years (a year is considered to be 365 days in the Final Fantasy universe as in real life, just in case you didn't know).

Even though Squall is a teenager, and Cloud is actually well into his adulthood, Squall would still destroy and EXTERMINATE strife boy. Just imagine if they were the same age. In that case, Squall would UTTERLY MASSACRE cloudsy. Just one giant bloodbath...