PDA

View Full Version : Now stop that, it's all gone rather silly

Captain Maxx Power
01-21-2006, 06:42 PM
A few days ago whilst I was chewing on my usual flapjack following a good old workout at the gym I was pondering the merits of each of the FF stories as you do. Anyways, just as I was entering Euston Square station I happened to think on FF3 and it's story. After careful consideration and analysis between Great Portland Street and my house I came to the following conclusion:

FF3 is very, very, very silly. And probably stupid to boot.

The whole concept of the game is very mish-mash and seemingly thrown together. The floating continent (why?), four orphans who are chosen to fight by crystals (what?), some flying plant, a kingdom in civil war that previously was COMPLETELY UNDER WATER, some guff about duplicating statues or monsters I forget which. And to top it all off an end boss that makes about as much sense to the plotline as your average "flashback" in an episode of Lost. Basically put this whole game feels like one big joke, as if they purposefully set out to create something so intrisicly silly just to see if anyone would notice.

Don't get me wrong, I really like this game. It just when you sit down and look at it you realise just how choc-a-block it is with MacGuffins and superfluous characters. Anyone else agree with me?

Crossblades
01-21-2006, 07:59 PM
You bring up some good points. However, I still think the storyline was enjoyable. It was easy to understand

Kawaii Ryűkishi
01-21-2006, 09:25 PM
The floating continent (why?)Because it rocks. The whole concept and execution, along with the Tower of Owen subplot with Desh, is one of the best parts of the game.
four orphans who are chosen to fight by crystals (what?)The Crystals are in danger. The kids are totally the prophesized Warriors of Light. This is Final Fantasy.
some flying plantThe Elder Tree. See also FFV, FFIX, the entire Seiken Densetsu series, etc.
a kingdom in civil war that previously was COMPLETELY UNDER WATERThe world was in stasis while it was under water, and once it surfaced, the heroes had to muck around with Delilah and Goldor for a good while before they could get to Salonia. That's plenty of time for Gigames to nab control of the King's mind and incite civil war. Or it could have been going on before the world was ever dunked in the first place--again, stasis.
some guff about duplicating statues or monsters I forget which.That's not even party of the story. It's a gameplay mechanic.
And to top it all off an end boss that makes about as much sense to the plotline as your average "flashback" in an episode of Lost.Again, Final Fantasy. You kill a lame guy who's all about darkness and then you have to fight darkness itself. See FFIV, FFV, FFIX, etc.

KoShiatar
01-21-2006, 09:53 PM
Kishi comes and gives battle.
Seriously, there are some debatable things, but I never expected great coherence from a Nes game. I enjoyed it and its simplicity and that's all.

Captain Maxx Power
01-21-2006, 11:06 PM
I never said these things were unexplanable. I just said they were silly, which they are.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
01-21-2006, 11:19 PM
The only one that could conceivably pass for silly is the Salonia thing. The floating continent, again, rocks, and the other things you mentioned are found in numerous other games. The fact that you're nonetheless hating on FFIII shows a bias that will not be tolerated.

eestlinc
01-21-2006, 11:33 PM
Again, Final Fantasy. You kill a lame guy who's all about darkness and then you have to fight darkness itself. See FFIV, FFV, FFIX, etc.
Except in FFIII the darkness is sexy.

Crossblades
01-22-2006, 02:52 AM
The only one that could conceivably pass for silly is the Salonia thing. The floating continent, again, rocks, and the other things you mentioned are found in numerous other games. The fact that you're nonetheless hating on FFIII shows a bias that will not be tolerated.

Yeah the floating continent is my favorite part of the game:)

But I don't think Salonia is silly though

Vyk
01-22-2006, 03:23 AM
Sexy? What? I wanna see...

Crossblades
01-22-2006, 03:32 AM
Sexy? What? I wanna see...

http://www.rpgamer.com/games/ff/ff3/graphics/screen/boss2.gif

Captain Maxx Power
01-22-2006, 02:09 PM
The fact that you're nonetheless hating on FFIII shows a bias that will not be tolerated.

Again I am not saying I don't like FF3, because I do. I just think it's all a bit silly.

Fytar
01-22-2006, 11:01 PM
A lot of the story elements seemed to turn up in later Square games. One I remember in particular is a guy in the Ancients' City saying something along the lines of "machines are bad". I noticed a lot of gfx/sound effect-related things were used in FFIV, too. FFIII is a weird game indeed. :P

Ciretho
01-28-2006, 08:39 AM
Someones got to get the job done. it just so happens to be four kids who conviently happen to be the closest of friends.

DJZen
01-29-2006, 01:40 AM
The fact that you're nonetheless hating on FFIII shows a bias that will not be tolerated.

Having un opinion ist strikt verboten!!

Kawaii Ryűkishi
01-29-2006, 01:49 AM
Just negative opinions on FFIII and Heidegger.

Crossblades
01-29-2006, 04:08 AM
Just negative opinions on FFIII and Heidegger.

Why Heidegger? XD

theundeadhero
01-29-2006, 06:52 AM
He's also sexy?

Elpizo
01-30-2006, 08:57 PM
Perhaps you are right.

But the Story of FFIII is thousand times better (in my opinion) than that of FFIIj. That game was just plain boring after a while, and the Emperor is nearly impossible to beat without the blood sword.

the Floating Continent. Why? I dunno. But I liked it when I discovered it. I played the NES version up until after the Water Crystal. Now I'm waiting for FF III DS.

Story may be thrown together. That's your opinion.
But for others, it isn't.

And about Cloud of Darkness, well, don't know it's background story that good, but I heard it is an extremely difficult boss, which sounds good.:)

Slam Dancin' Moogle
04-06-2006, 10:17 PM
Man, its an NES game, and probably has a better storyline than most today. Today, no one (except nintendo) can actually make a decent storyline for a game. Look at Playstation and X-Box. Did you know that those 2 companies copy from Nintendo because they can't make something original? That's sad man...

Kawaii Ryűkishi
04-30-2006, 06:13 PM
Xchaos, please quit acting like a moderator. It is up to the staff to decide when a thread is too old, and even if this guy were out of line, it would still not be your place to reprimand him.