PDA

View Full Version : Don't implement this idea.

-N-
01-21-2006, 08:41 PM
I was thinking a helpful thing to put in each FF forum is a link to the walkthroughs or FAQs EoFF has on its main site for that game. May prevent some needless threads, who knows. Also a chance to self-advertise some more.

o_O
01-21-2006, 09:21 PM
Implement this idea.

Cz
01-21-2006, 09:23 PM
This idea is good. Good ideas must be implemented.

KoShiatar
01-21-2006, 09:52 PM
Yep, I approve.

kikimm
01-21-2006, 09:55 PM
Why haven't we done this already?

Old Manus
01-21-2006, 09:58 PM
Reverse psychology does not work on me Neel

I do not like this idea

Del Murder
01-21-2006, 10:14 PM
I think the thought on this was that making it a stickied thread would clutter up the forums, but it might be a good idea. Is there a way to put the link at the top of each forum so you don't have to use a thread?

eestlinc
01-21-2006, 10:19 PM
some of our walkthroughs are really lame or totally lifted off gameFAQs.

Del Murder
01-21-2006, 10:31 PM
There should be a link to gamefaqs as well. They are much more in depth than it is here, but I would says Eyeson is more user-friendly. And prettier. Maybe for each forum we should have a stickied thread with a list of links that would be helpful for each game.

-N-
01-21-2006, 10:31 PM
some of our walkthroughs are really lame or totally lifted off gameFAQs.This is actually very true (and a problem in my eyes) - especially Mynock's guide for FFVI. I've repeatedly offered Site Staff a bunch of my walkthroughs that I wrote several years ago for some games, but I haven't really seen anything done about them (or any real desire to, for that matter). If Eyes on Final Fantasy is truly to be the wealth of information about Final Fantasy, they would include their original material.

Regardless, none of that really affects the forum staff. I also don't know if it would be possible to insert a direct link rather than a stickied thread without direct modification of the vBB code, which I assume is a rigid template form. But several forums have stickied threads anyways - might as well slip in links to the main site in the first post of those "New Poster Read" stickies.

edit: Linking to GameFAQs would be the most efficient solution, but I think it would also be self-defeating in a way. Don't a lot of members sign up simply to get information about such games? Shooing them off to GameFAQs may not really be the best (I understand it's not quite shooing, but it may seem that way, who knows).

Del Murder
01-21-2006, 10:32 PM
I agree, they should be added to those threads at the very least.

Raistlin
01-21-2006, 10:55 PM
The FF7 walkthrough is also crap. I have no why I know this, as I've never gone to the website looking for FF info/help/whatever.

XxSephirothxX
01-21-2006, 10:57 PM
Why haven't we done this already?
Exactly what I thought when Neel first posted this. :p I'd like to know if Samuraid or cl_out could easily modify the templates, or whatever this would require, and just put a link that says "Final Fantasy VI Walkthrough" or something similar. Hopefully this could really cut down on repetitive help threads. The more obvious and visible the link is, the better it'll work. If people don't have to read a "Read this before you post in this forum" thread, they're a lot more likely to actually get to the information. I doubt many people take the time to read those before asking a question.

Levian
01-21-2006, 11:11 PM
1. Newbies won't notice this. They'll make a thread anyway.
2. I actually like threads with stupid questions. They're great for spam.
3. Neel smells like a retirement home.

:roll:

eestlinc
01-21-2006, 11:29 PM
we could surely add a link to the top link strip (with user cp, memberlist, wiki, etc) but I don't know if the link could be made variable based on forum or turned off for non-gaming forums.

edit:

Since I can't post but can't you set forum specific updates for that announcements and make the
announcement link to the walkthrough, if this is a good idea please credit Yams, hes an unlikely
and unappricated hero ^^
Well you could make a forum specific announcement with a link to the frontsite walkthrough, but that would look kinda crappy compared to integrating it into the forum template, and I think those announcements would just slip down the list as global announcements were made.

Yamaneko
01-22-2006, 03:44 AM
This would have to wait until the forums upgrade. I wouldn't know exactly how to do this since it would have to be a template hack through threadbit that shows the appropriate link to the frontsite depending on the forumid. Samuraid or clout would probably know.

The Man
01-22-2006, 05:24 AM
Speaking of that, if you guys need me to send you an upgraded copy of vB because Cid's too lazy to get it himself, just let me know :monster:

-N-
01-22-2006, 05:26 AM
The Man never misses his cue.

Christmas
01-22-2006, 05:58 AM
1. Newbies won't notice this. They'll make a thread anyway.
2. I actually like threads with stupid questions. They're great for spam.
3. Neel smells like a retirement home.

:roll:

http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=77913

Especially when the FAQ is just right above.

Dr Unne
01-22-2006, 04:03 PM
I would hope you wouldn't put a link saying "Have questions? Click here!" without indicating spoiler possibilities. The FF1 walkthrough for example will spoil the entire game. Even the chapter titles are semi-spoilers.

Hawkeye
01-22-2006, 06:14 PM
Hasn't that already been discussed in Kishi's announcement with something on the lines of Aries is a corpse?

Raistlin
01-22-2006, 07:46 PM
However, these links would be directed towards people who are new to the game, whereas the forums for the older games are mostly for people who have played the game before.

Del Murder
01-22-2006, 08:05 PM
I think the word 'walkthrough' is enough to cover that.

Loony BoB
01-22-2006, 11:10 PM
I've repeatedly offered Site Staff a bunch of my walkthroughs that I wrote several years ago for some games, but I haven't really seen anything done about them (or any real desire to, for that matter).
What? You did?

EDIT: If you have, you must have limited it to chat, because there's only one thread that's ever been started by you in the Site Staff forums. D=

-N-
01-22-2006, 11:32 PM
This post (http://forums.eyesonff.com/showpost.php?p=1049292&postcount=10) in in this thread (http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?p=1082573) is probably one you missed because you searched for threads, not posts. I guess some got cleared out too (as if 2001 never existed?). Oh yeah, looks like most of the stuff I put in the forums was offering an FTP service for FF MP3s. I don't have the hard drive space anymore, and Jeremy probably has more anyways. But yeah, I just sent a RAR of everything I've done to Baloki - dunno what will come of that.

edit: apparently it's also at http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=77996 :p

Dignified Pauper
01-23-2006, 06:16 AM
Reverse psychology does not work on me Neel

I do not like BROWN PEOPLE

Rascist!!!

-N-
01-23-2006, 06:26 AM
When I actually need to run a smear campaign, I'll call you first, Marick. ;)

Dignified Pauper
01-23-2006, 06:45 AM
I'm always looking out for your best interests, Neel. I'm a supporter of the Brown Alliance. Thus, I support this idea.

Madonna
01-23-2006, 07:53 PM
Way to curry favor, Brownnoser. :|

I think that a simple question in the FAQ at the head of each forum would be enough.
Q: Where can I find a FAQ on FF(x)?
A: Check out our [site] (www.eyesonff.com)'s respective area for the game, not our board!

Old Manus
01-23-2006, 08:15 PM
How did Marick find the true meaning in my post

Dignified Pauper
01-23-2006, 09:34 PM
Because I am your other half! DIGNIFIED MANUS!

Xaven
01-24-2006, 05:21 AM
I'm leaning toward implementing this idea, whatever you guys decide best. Actually, I like the idea of a link being at the top of each FF forums to its respective walkthough/FAQ, as long as it doesn't look cheesy.

-N-
01-27-2006, 06:51 AM
Way to curry favor, Brownnoser. :|I heard that!

What's the final verdict on this?

Dignified Pauper
01-27-2006, 07:21 AM
implement

Del Murder
01-28-2006, 02:39 AM
If there is no way to post the links somewhere on the page without making a thread, then I will make stickies in each forum with a link to the mainsite (and gamefaqs for good measure).