PDA

View Full Version : English screenshots for the upcoming GBA Tales of Phantasia game

Crossblades
01-22-2006, 05:15 PM
Page 1
http://www.rpgamer.com/games/tales/top/screens/topss012106a.html

Page 2
http://www.rpgamer.com/games/tales/top/screens/topss012106b.html

Chris
01-22-2006, 05:19 PM
Hahahahahahhahaha! That's so great. The heads look so big, though! Oo

Black Mage
01-22-2006, 05:45 PM
I'm quite disappointed in the translations of the names.

Klarth -> Claus
Cless -> Cress

Thank God you can rename the characters.

Dhaos -> Daos is seemingly unavoidable.

edczxcvbnm
01-22-2006, 05:48 PM
I'm quite disappointed in the translations of the names.

Klarth -> Claus
Cless -> Cress

Thank God you can rename the characters.

Dhaos -> Daos is seemingly unavoidable.

OH NOES! Names are different! IT RUINED THE GAME! The translation is automatic crap now. :eek:

Crossblades
01-22-2006, 10:12 PM
I was disappointed with the name changes too

Vyk
01-22-2006, 10:15 PM
I've never played the original. So I suppose you're free to cry foul if they're different from that. But having traversed some Japanese, and the inherent romaji that comes with it, I can tell you that someone named Cless in Japanese (which would be pronounced ku-re-su) would almost deffinitely be turned into either Kress or Cress. Unless it was already known they meant it to be Crest or something.

I'm gonna cite Rydia as a bad example. Japanese pronounce L's with an R sound. So it's a common belief (and probably an accurate one) that she was romajinzed wrong, and they actually intended her to be Lydia (as I'm sure most have seen her called). I would surmise Lydia was thought to be too "normal", when compared to names like Cecil and Edge and whatnot (though this is just personal speculation) so they decided to leave the R?

Black Mage
01-22-2006, 11:00 PM
Right. I know enough Japanese to understand the nuances of the language, and I could understand the name changes-- All of them, if those who are translating had nothing more to go on than the katakana itself.

However, that's not the case. The manuals of the Playstation remake, and the GBA port (And I would assume the Super Famicom's as well) have printed romanizations of the characters names. Not only that, but you can also find them in various ToP artbooks. I find it difficult to justify changing of the names so drastically when there is already official material out there.

Captain Maxx Power
01-22-2006, 11:05 PM
ZMG!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Vyk
01-22-2006, 11:52 PM
Yeah. I wasn't about to excuse their accountability if the names were already pretty much slated in stone. I have no idea why companies do that. Even if it was wrong the first time, people are used to it. Keep it. Capcom leanred that lesson fast with Street Fighter and the whole M. Bison/Vega/Balrog thing.

Erdrick Holmes
01-23-2006, 12:40 AM
When does this come to the states?

On second thought, don't tell me.

~SapphireStar~
01-23-2006, 01:13 AM
Why have the names been altered? That sucks and this game is the soul reason why I want a PSP :D

Vyk
01-23-2006, 02:31 AM
That's a different Tales game. I forget its name, but I"m sure someone will point it out. This is for GBA. A port of the first Tales game. The one for PSP is going to be new I think. A compliment to the PS2 one or something? I don't follow them closely enough to know this stuff ;_;

~SapphireStar~
01-23-2006, 02:57 AM
Oh dear! Sorry, got carried away there :D

Black Mage
01-23-2006, 03:52 AM
The Tales game being released on the PSP is a port of Tales of Eternia, which was originally on the PSX (named Tales of Destiny II in the US, not to be confused with the PS2 game which didn't see an English release). The DS is receiving a new Tales game called Tales of Tempest, and the GBA is getting an old port of Tales of Phantasia.

As of now, only Tales of Phantasia has been announced for release outside of Japan. I'd be surprised to see PSP port of Tales of Eternia make it outside of Japan.

Vyk
01-23-2006, 04:37 AM
There was one that had a subtitle... I think it started with L, it was named after a character from one of the others? I dunno. I'll have to look it up I guess.

edczxcvbnm
01-23-2006, 07:43 AM
Right. I know enough Japanese to understand the nuances of the language, and I could understand the name changes-- All of them, if those who are translating had nothing more to go on than the katakana itself.

However, that's not the case. The manuals of the Playstation remake, and the GBA port (And I would assume the Super Famicom's as well) have printed romanizations of the characters names. Not only that, but you can also find them in various ToP artbooks. I find it difficult to justify changing of the names so drastically when there is already official material out there.

Just as you find it hard to believe they would do something like that, I find it hard to believe that anyone would care enough to mention it or make any sort of deal out of it. Whether that deal is a BIG deal or a small deal. They are just names and don't change anything in the games story or gameplay.

MecaKane
01-24-2006, 04:21 AM
Also you can change cless and Klarth's names.

Dreddz
01-24-2006, 06:26 PM
Looks good, shame I dont have a GBA
( good thing I got a PSP though hehehe )

Vyk
01-24-2006, 07:07 PM
Ah I found the information I wanted. It's already been established that Tales of Phantasia was the originator of the series, and is just being ported to GBA. Tales of Eternia is being ported to PSP (it was released on Playstation as Tales of Destiny 2 in America). Then of course Tales of Legendia on PS2... the only new Tales game, is still on its way.

Skarr
01-25-2006, 06:40 PM
There goes another $50 bucks outta my wallet. :(

Necronopticous
01-25-2006, 06:57 PM
I wonder how much gald this is going to cost when it comes out.

Ultima_Weapon
01-25-2006, 08:28 PM
I wonder how much gald this is going to cost when it comes out.

probably somewhere around 40 to 50....

Aphelion
01-26-2006, 12:22 PM
Ah I found the information I wanted. It's already been established that Tales of Phantasia was the originator of the series, and is just being ported to GBA. Tales of Eternia is being ported to PSP (it was released on Playstation as Tales of Destiny 2 in America). Then of course Tales of Legendia on PS2... the only new Tales game, is still on its way.

And unfortunately, we haven't heard of a Tales of the Abyss release in North America, as well as Symphonia's PS2 version (only released in Japan...with extras).

I'm not sure I'm buying the GBA version. It does look good (better than the previous versions, that's for sure), but other than the visuals and the more friendly battle system (from what I've heard, at least - it's easier to move your character around) there's no major improvement. I'll save my money for TotA if importing is the only way, thank you very much.

Vyk
01-26-2006, 10:37 PM
Haven't even heard of that one. The title sure sounds interesting though.