PDA

View Full Version : Super Bowl XL: Seattle vs. Pittsburgh

RSL
01-23-2006, 02:51 AM
Who is everyone going to cheer for in the Super Bowl? I'm definitely going for Seattle. I love seeing new contenders.

Raistlin
01-23-2006, 02:52 AM
I have Pittsburgh for the fourth consecutive upset, currently. 6th seed for the Super Bowl win!

Kirobaito
01-23-2006, 02:53 AM
I'm going for Seattle, not necessarily because I particularly like them, but because I don't want Pittsburgh to get to 5 Super Bowl wins before the Cowboys do.

RSL
01-23-2006, 02:53 AM
Are you sure it would be an upset? Who will be favored?

SoulTaker*
01-23-2006, 02:56 AM
I dont really care who wins because Im really not a fan of either team, but this is the time of the year were I make my money off bets, and Im taking Seattle because I think Shaun Alexander is phenominal and also the fact that no AFC team has ever won a superbowl when its played on ABC.

Raistlin
01-23-2006, 02:57 AM
Are you sure it would be an upset? Who will be favored?
I have no idea who's favored, but it's a 1st seed versus a 6th seed, so yeah.

RSL
01-23-2006, 03:01 AM
Yeah, but Pittsburg is one of the best sixth seeds I can ever recall, and they played in the superior AFC. I realize that it is very impressive to reach the Super Bowl as a sixth seed and by winning three straight road games against three divisional champions, but I don't think that should be used in determining whether or not they are an underdog.

eestlinc
01-23-2006, 03:07 AM
go Seattle.

My name is...something..?
01-23-2006, 03:12 AM
Pittsburgh Steelers!
I've been a die hard Steelers fan from as far back as I can remember so naturally I want them to win.
I think they will put more heart into it.
As long as Roethlisberger stays calm and doesn't screw up as much as he did last year, I have no doubt in my mind that they'll win.
"Here we go, Steelers, here we go!"

SoulTaker*
01-23-2006, 03:14 AM
Yeah, but Pittsburg is one of the best sixth seeds I can ever recall, and they played in the superior AFC. I realize that it is very impressive to reach the Super Bowl as a sixth seed and by winning three straight road games against three divisional champions, but I don't think that should be used in determining whether or not they are an underdog.
Good point, but I think Seattle has the best O-line in football and coupled with Alexander are an extremely tough team to beat, usually the team with the best ground game wins the superbowl, Pitt tends to score all there points in the 1st quarter, Seattle needs to stop that.
But in terms of odds, I think Vegas is gonna swing Pitts way.

Tempest
01-23-2006, 03:36 AM
Don't care since I was rooting for the Bears. :(

RSL
01-23-2006, 03:43 AM
Well, you should go for the team that beat the team that beat the Bears!

Tempest
01-23-2006, 03:55 AM
Well, you should go for the team that beat the team that beat the Bears!
Oh, I am. :D

Doomie
01-23-2006, 03:56 AM
I, unlike Mr. RSL, am going for Big Ben and the Steelers. I would have preferred Jake Delhomme in the Super Bowl, but ah well.

Azure Chrysanthemum
01-23-2006, 04:00 AM
I live in Seattle.

Does that answer your question?

-N-
01-23-2006, 04:39 AM
After some deliberation, I believe the Seahawks have the advantage here. I'm glad to see the Bus get back to Detroit, but I don't think winning is in his agenda next week. Roethlisberger and Hasselbeck were both amazing, but I think their passing games will be weaker in the Bowl. So sure, the Steelers have Jerome Bettis, but I think Shaun Alexander will be able to do more on the ground.

As far as who to root for, I have no idea. I'm already a happy man - both teams I predicted to face off in the Super Bowl are doing so. I've enjoyed watching both teams play so much. However, I'll probably side with the Seahawks this year, as their story is so much more dramatic than the Steelers, with this being their first appearance and all.

eestlinc
01-23-2006, 05:03 AM
the super bowl is in two weeks, feb 5th, just for reference.

Hawkeye
01-23-2006, 05:09 AM
I voted for Pittsburgh, but all I'm really looking for is a good game. I don't care for either team (no idea why I picked Pittsburgh) but if a good game is played, that's all that matters.

Oh, and also for a fucking good coin toss this year.

Cz
01-23-2006, 06:30 PM
As a Brit I've never really followed or cared about 'American' Football, but I've begun to take a passing interest, and have convinced my self that I'm going to watch the Superbowl this year. Seeing as how I'd never heard of the Seahawks three months ago, I'm going for them, as underdogs are always fun to root for. :D

Doomie
01-23-2006, 06:31 PM
Cz, The Steelers are the underdog.

Cz
01-23-2006, 06:34 PM
Cz, The Steelers are the underdog.When RSL says it, I'll believe it.

RSL
01-23-2006, 11:40 PM
Everything I've read says the Steelers are favored by 4 points or so. Sportscenter last night repeatedly said that the number 1 NFC seed is going to be an underdog against the number 6 seed AFC team. So yeah.

escobert
01-23-2006, 11:45 PM
this is the NFCs year finally.

dante the demon prince
01-23-2006, 11:50 PM
i bet ten dollars stealers win the supperbowl

edczxcvbnm
01-23-2006, 11:51 PM
Steelers all the way baby. Here my half-assed reason why.

The Steelers do good against finesse type teams. Indy, Cin and kind of Denv(kind of but not really). I would say the Seahawks fall into that finesse type of team.

Also Roffleburger(Roethlisberger;)) is 21-4 as a starter...that is just crazy. Even crazier when you consider he was playing while recovering from that injury during this season.

RSL
01-23-2006, 11:52 PM
i bet ten dollars stealers win the supperbowl
Are you betting everyone at EoFF?

escobert
01-24-2006, 12:07 AM
I think it'll be agood game but, I'm sick of the AFC winning :p

-N-
01-24-2006, 06:14 AM
Everything I've read says the Steelers are favored by 4 points or so. Sportscenter last night repeatedly said that the number 1 NFC seed is going to be an underdog against the number 6 seed AFC team. So yeah.They're probably saying that because of the whole home-fied thing. Steelers have been doing better on the road; Seahawks have had a huge advantage so far (which they will lose now) being backed by a really intense crowd.

AFC tends to be more intense, so #6 ranking doesn't mean much. I still favor Seattle.

eestlinc
01-24-2006, 06:16 AM
whichver team can overcome the putrid stench of Detroit will win. Probably Pittsburgh, since it's a dirtier town than Seattle.

Azure Chrysanthemum
01-24-2006, 06:25 AM
Hey, we're a hippy town. Don't underestimate the stench of conspiracy theorists accosting you on the sidewalk :)

eestlinc
01-24-2006, 06:33 AM
yea but Seattle has trees.

-N-
01-24-2006, 06:33 AM
Dude, I was visiting Seattle last winter with a friend who lives there. Sure enough, that happened. I think they were some Scientology blokes. I was polite enough to resist, but my friend couldn't help but decimate their argument and their little "truth-telling machine" with basic biology and engineering knowledge.

I think Seattle is less stinky than Pittsburgh, though. Software production and coffee brewing is responsible for less pollution than steel manufacturing, or so I would think.

Rase
01-24-2006, 07:02 AM
I'm going with the Seahawks, the sole reason being that they're pretty popular where I used to live (no, it wasn't Seattle).

Mythra
01-25-2006, 10:14 PM
Have to go with the Steelers on this one. I have been a fan of them for as long as I can remember

Raistlin
01-25-2006, 10:21 PM
I think the Steelers are going to win. My reasoning is very similar to ed's.

Seattle is a good team with a very good offensive line. However, that offensive line has not been tested yet this year to the extent that Pittsburgh will test it. Pittsburgh is a very tough team. In fact, they rolled over Chicago, who is said to have the toughest defense in the league. Indy had a very good running game and an excellent passing game; if they couldn't work around Pittsburgh's toughness, I don't think Seattle can, either.

Seattle most closely alignes with Denver, I believe. A team with some skill and some toughness (unlike Indy, which is all skill, or Chicago, which is all toughness). Pittsburgh beat up on Denver. I expect Pittsburgh to do similar to Seattle.

-N-
01-25-2006, 10:37 PM
Wasn't that Carolina that dominated Chicago? Both those are NFC teams while Pittsburgh is AFC. Carolina dominated them because Chicago didn't do anything about Steve Smith. Seattle subsequently dominated Carolina because they stopped Carolina's only ace - Steve Smith. (As well as the rest of their passing game.)

You make a fair point with Pittsburgh's win over the Colts, though. Seattle may squeeze out less points against the Steelers, but I think the reverse will also be true - I don't think Pittsburgh will be able to squeeze out as many points as they have been against Seattle.

Not really sure anymore though - both teams have been winning by the same means - turnovers and good defense. Steelers are probably better at that, come to think of it, since they come from the tougher AFC. (And some of those linemen are freaking huge.)

Still cheering for Seattle to win their first, though.

Raistlin
01-25-2006, 11:37 PM
Wasn't that Carolina that dominated Chicago? Both those are NFC teams while Pittsburgh is AFC. Carolina dominated them because Chicago didn't do anything about Steve Smith. Seattle subsequently dominated Carolina because they stopped Carolina's only ace - Steve Smith. (As well as the rest of their passing game.)
I meant during the regular season. :p

Near the end of the season, Pittsburgh played Chicago and owned them.

Seattle's defense is worse than Denver's, especially against the run. Pittsburgh had no trouble scoring against Denver <i>at Denver</i>. I don't think they'll have any trouble scoring against Seattle at Detroit.

Skarr
01-26-2006, 01:12 AM
Pittsburgh, only due to the fact that Seattle beat Steve Smith and the Panthers. I wanna see Seattle go down!!!

SoulTaker*
01-26-2006, 01:34 AM
Jus wait for Big Ben to screw up he is over due, Pittsburg win game because of their defense, look at the game against indy, the defense won that, Pittsburgs O was nowhere to be in the second half of that game, and were the extremely lucky to get out of Indy with a win. Seattle has the best ground game in football, and 5-3 away from Seattle with one of those losses comming from a meaningless game at the end of the season. Pittsburg scores all their points in 1st half, if Seattle weathers the storm, Its gonna be a long night for Pitt, and winning 4 straight games is extremely difficult to do.

edit: don't go around the swear filter. -eestlinc

Gwelenguchenkus
01-26-2006, 01:35 AM
I don't EVER get excited about football, but you've got to root for your hometown (it's mine!)

Seattle, all the way. If they win, maybe they won't have such a pathetic reputation.

Del Murder
01-26-2006, 02:35 AM
To me this is a boring Super Bowl. I want Seattle to win because they've never done it before. Then again, having a 6th seed with would be pretty cool. Pitt will probably win anyway because they have the better defense and that boring crap is what wins these games.

edczxcvbnm
01-26-2006, 03:03 AM
I don't know if you have seen the score of the Steelers games lately but they score a lot.

escobert
01-26-2006, 06:23 AM
all this chicago owning makes me cry :(

a nirvana fan
01-26-2006, 05:11 PM
Pittsburgh!

eestlinc
01-26-2006, 06:29 PM
why exactly will it be boring, Delglad?

escobert
01-26-2006, 08:08 PM
because he's one of these evil westcoasters that like to throw the damn ball.

yunafan11
01-26-2006, 08:13 PM
I dont care. lol. Im not into sports. lol.

If you don't care, don't post in the thread. This is spam. ~ Leeza

Raistlin
01-26-2006, 08:13 PM
Because Pittsburgh obviously hasn't come out of the gate throwing the ball in each of its last three playoff games.

Oh wait.

yunafan11
01-26-2006, 08:14 PM
okies... lol.

This is spam. Do not spam. ~ Leeza

Del Murder
01-27-2006, 02:25 AM
because he's one of these evil westcoasters that like to throw the damn ball.
:D

It's boring to me because I don't follow these teams at all. I didn't really think they were all that good. I think I've fallen into the hype of the Patriots, Colts, Eagles, etc. If one of those teams were in there it would be better, because at least I know those players and have watched them in tons of national and playoff games. Pittsburgh gets their fair share of hype, but their slow run/stop the run methodology is just not very exciting. Even if it does put points on the board. Alexander is pretty good but I have thought he was overrated for so long that it's hard see past that view, even though it is obviously wrong.

StarChild
01-27-2006, 02:30 AM
GO HAWKS!!!!

Tavrobel
01-29-2006, 08:23 PM
Go Seahawks
A pox on thee that would dare to root for...

*shudders*

The Terrible Towel...
For once asucky NFC team should beat those arrogant AFC teams and their so called "skilled players" and "good coaching".

silentenigma
01-30-2006, 12:03 AM
I'm a Steeler fan. I live right above Pittsburgh, so that can be expected.

Pittsburgh's goin' to the Superbowl. Here we go...

Chibi Angel
01-30-2006, 12:05 AM
Seahawks I used to be from the Seattle area, when I was like three, but all the same.

-N-
01-30-2006, 05:30 PM
I die a little whenever there is no football on Sunday and I don't have a job. :\

SoulTaker*
01-30-2006, 05:40 PM
I die a little whenever there is no football on Sunday and I don't have a job. :\
Sunday sucks, thats why god made futbol de americano.

Vegas is in and Pitt is a 4 point favorite.

Raistlin
01-30-2006, 05:53 PM
I love how the AFC 6th seed is favored over the NFC 1st seed.

Go Pittsburgh!

RSL
01-31-2006, 01:24 AM
Go Seahawks!

Casey
01-31-2006, 07:57 AM
I live in Washington and was never a "Seahawks fan", but I hope they win against the Steelers. Really though I dont care... It's just I never seen the Seahawks goto the Super Bowl...

edczxcvbnm
01-31-2006, 04:48 PM
I live in Washington and was never a "Seahawks fan", but I hope they win against the Steelers. Really though I dont care... It's just I never seen the Seahawks goto the Super Bowl...

You have never seen them go there because they have never been there...EVER!

Sephex
01-31-2006, 08:46 PM
GO BEARS!

edczxcvbnm
01-31-2006, 08:52 PM
I hope the bears vomit all over themselves until they die of vomit!

Raistlin
01-31-2006, 11:06 PM
<a href="http://www.theonion.com/content/node/44839">The Onion Super Bowl Preview</a>.

Excerpt headline: "Bill Cowher's Jaw Arrives In Detroit Four Days Ahead Of Rest Of Steelers." xD

escobert
01-31-2006, 11:14 PM
GO BEARS!
:love:

-N-
02-03-2006, 09:34 PM
um, yeah, bump

Go Seahawks

JackNapier
02-03-2006, 09:51 PM
I'll be cheering for Pittsburgh but I'm not sure they can pull it off. Shaun Alexander is just such an amazing runner.

StarlightAngel
02-04-2006, 12:23 AM
I live in Seattle.

Does that answer your question?

RSL
02-04-2006, 03:31 AM
What was the question again?

-N-
02-04-2006, 03:59 AM
"Are you addicted to coffee?"