PDA

View Full Version : Intelligent Game Design

Rase
01-23-2006, 08:38 PM
Gamespy Story. (http://www.gamespy.com/articles/595/595975p1.html)

Now, suddenly, his creature could walk. And he did so -- he walked right out of the sea and onto the land. This incredible moment in the history of evolution was made even more remarkable by the technology behind it: the game had figured out, procedurally, how a creature would walk if it had three legs (it was a kind of lopsided gait, if you're curious, with three steps: left, right, then middle.) No 3D modeler created the creature, and no 3D animator was required to make it move around -- it was all created out of a gamer's whim and a computer program smart enough to make it work.

IGN Story. (http://pc.ign.com/articles/617/617441p1.html)

This is literally amazing. Talk about thinking outside the box, Will Wright got tired of dealing with gigantic teams of animators, coders, etc and just made the actual program smarter. It knows how things will evolve, walk, act, build, and basically live, yet still gives you plenty to do. Sounds like a game to definetly keep your eye on.

Lost Number
01-23-2006, 08:40 PM
Put that into a strategy game would be class.

MecaKane
01-23-2006, 08:51 PM
I think bou had a sick video of that on ASC one time.
Sick sick sick crazy sick!

Rostum
01-23-2006, 08:57 PM
Holy crap. x.x;;

Kawaii Ryűkishi
01-23-2006, 11:21 PM
Newbies (http://bando.smallcave.net/index.php?showtopic=2860&hl=spore).

Madame Adequate
01-24-2006, 12:08 AM
Will Wright is one of the greatest minds in gaming. I already knew as much. But now you all know as well.

Spore gets more awesome every time I hear something about it. I love the way the GameSpy article keeps saying something awesome and then goes "But Wright wasn't done yet." xD

Samuraid
01-24-2006, 02:29 AM
That's pretty cool. :) Programs that are able to synthesize based on physical priciples are pretty complex but often very interesting.

Remember though, that a program will never be 'smart'. It can still only do what it's creator programs it to do. :)

Vyk
01-24-2006, 02:48 AM
Spore? Yeah, this is old news. But still awesome news ^_^'

edczxcvbnm
01-24-2006, 03:59 AM
I have been waiting for this game to come out forever and I still have forever to wait. I can't wait to create a super aggressive war race and have other people have the misfortune of downloading my demons and having them lay waste to their societies!

The Man
01-24-2006, 07:25 AM
Will Wright is one of the greatest minds in gaming. I already knew as much. But now you all know as well.Quoted for truth.

Shaun
01-24-2006, 01:11 PM
Interesting, yes. I think they're drifiting a little from how evolution and life actually works, and they're making it a little too customisable. I saw something on TV a while ago that actually showed how aliens might be on other planets. I think they're taking this a little too far by making it possible to create any lifeform you could dream up.

Otherwise, all good! I'd buy it.

Cz
01-24-2006, 04:50 PM
Seen it already, but it's still really cool. I'm very much looking forward to this. :)

Vyk
01-24-2006, 06:48 PM
Interesting, yes. I think they're drifiting a little from how evolution and life actually works, and they're making it a little too customisable. I saw something on TV a while ago that actually showed how aliens might be on other planets. I think they're taking this a little too far by making it possible to create any lifeform you could dream up.
Well its not just a simulation program. Its going to be released basically with gamers in mind. So it'll have the heart of a game. And gamers want options. I can understand your view. But I can also see why they chose to be so open-ended with possibilities.