PDA

View Full Version : Chord generator or such

Fuefu
01-24-2006, 01:49 AM
Anyone know where a non-aussie bloke like me can find a chord generator so I can know what chords my own material is? Because I write my chords as tabulature and don't know what chords they are. Please help. And I know Power Tab can let you search for chords but I need something else. That one's kind of annoying. Trying to count the spaces and almost forgetting one is 5 when it's really 9. Please and thanks.

Samuraid
01-24-2006, 02:19 AM
http://www.8notes.com/resources/notefinders/piano.asp

Piano. Is that want you wanted or were you looking for guitar?

Fuefu
01-24-2006, 02:28 AM
Guitar, dude. Thanks though. But the ones I found through google are crap. I need one that shows all of the frets. Not just 1-5. Why do they always do that?

Kirobaito
01-24-2006, 03:43 AM
Guitar, dude. Thanks though. But the ones I found through google are crap. I need one that shows all of the frets. Not just 1-5. Why do they always do that?
Because each string is five frets apart, with the exception of B, which is four frets above G. You can make every note except those higher than high A using just the first five frets.

Fuefu
01-24-2006, 03:54 AM
Yeah I know about the 5 and 4s, how if you use that fret it sounds like the next string. But I don't get how you find chords for the other frets. What about those? And if you've explained it then I must be confused.

rubah
01-24-2006, 04:26 AM
What you need to do is study chord structure.

"A chord with a C, E, G, C, E and G is a C maj" or something.

At least, I assume it works the same way as piano.

first inversion, second inversion, dominant, subdominant, tonic, supertonic, etc.

I don't know what they all are though xD

Kirobaito
01-24-2006, 04:32 AM
Yeah I know about the 5 and 4s, how if you use that fret it sounds like the next string. But I don't get how you find chords for the other frets. What about those? And if you've explained it then I must be confused.
I wasn't really answering your topic question - I'm not sure how you'd go about finding chords based on the strings you're using, because rubah's method, which is probably the easiest. I was just explaining why they only show the first five frets. The most basic way to make chords (G, C, D, Em, A) is with the first five frets.

eestlinc
01-24-2006, 05:23 AM
To use the tablature to determine chords on higher frets, just pretend like the fret below the first fret you are using is the top of the fingerboard (nut). Then count how many frets there are between that fret and the actual top of the fingerboard. So if the chord you are playing appears as E major in the tablature and you are seven frets above the nut, count up seven half steps from E major. E-F-F#-G-G#-A-Bb-B. You are in B major.

-N-
01-24-2006, 06:23 AM
eestlinc's method works for determining individual notes as well. The tabs I've seen place numbers on each string, which indicate how many frets away from the nut you should be playing. The number corresponds to how many half-steps up from the open note the note is. You can figure out what each note is and figure out the chord from there using rubah's method.

Example: link
http://www.guitaretab.com/r/radiohead/15421.html

The first chord is a Bm (B minor) chord, which consists of B, D, and F#. (music theory)

The A string has a 2 on it, so go two half-steps up A-A#-B
Similarly, the rest of the notes are (from bottom up) F#, B, D, F#

which is a Bm chord.

You'll need some fair background in music theory and the ability to count to make this transition as fluid as possible. Good luck.

Fuefu
01-24-2006, 12:48 PM
Oh. So a good way is to just to tab myself like I'm doing now until I take lessons? Not to mention where I'm going to take lessons was where they taught John Mayer. (Not that I'm going to follow in his footsteps)

Endless
01-24-2006, 02:12 PM
http://www.thecipher.com/chord-encyclopedia.html

Fuefu
01-24-2006, 08:52 PM
These are all confusing for a beginner like me. Is it possible in power tab to write a tab and see the chord for it?