PDA

View Full Version : Internet, Good or Bad?

Burtuc
01-24-2006, 03:29 AM
Pick a side and one side only. No something inbetween thing.

Give us three reasons you think the internet is good or three reasons you think its bad

Be specific on your reasons please.

StarlightAngel
01-24-2006, 03:32 AM
Good.

Reasons:

1. You can research on it
2. You can play games on it
3. You can communicate easily with it
4. I use it daily, so it HAS to be awesome

Death Penalty
01-24-2006, 03:34 AM
Good
1 It has research options
2 I can say Fuck you anonymously
Those are the best reasons

Xaven
01-24-2006, 04:18 AM
I take it this is for some survey or something for school?

The internet is way too... stuff... to determine it simply "good" or "bad".

rubah
01-24-2006, 04:22 AM
The internet is good because it taught me more social skills than I would have had otherwise.

Sad, yet so very true.

I can count about nine things on the top layer of my computer desk that would not be there if my computer lacked the little wire going into the wall.

Shoeberto
01-24-2006, 04:25 AM
I'm better because of it.

Vyk
01-24-2006, 04:42 AM
If anyone says it's bad, I have to wonder why they're here

Deffinitely good for me. I've learned a lot in my social life online. Like rubah, I wouldn't have done it otherwise, 'cause I was an introverted wallflower offline. So I wouldn't have had the interactive experience. Chatting is so much easier, and not so different. Then I've come to take what I've learned about interaction and used it offline, and voila. I have a voice... lame, yes. But for losers like me, awesome.

Plus, I'm like, an adult. With a job. And no life. I'm not gonna be able to go out somewhere and make friends. Tons of people and opportunity online however. I quite enjoy having friends.

Best of all is the fact that through those friendships other possibilities blossom. Online love? Lame to some. But to those that embrace the possibility, if it happens, you're just as lucky as any guy holding a girl offline. I mean, she wants to be held. She will be held. When I can. It can totally work out. And until it does, it's awesome enough to just know that you're cared about. Nobody really cares about me offline. Now I can take something awesome online and bring it offline and have my cake and eat it too

And then yeah... all the more practical stuff of online life. You can find anything you want. Anime junkies have a plethora of treasures that they'd never know about, let alone get their hands on. And internet radio <3 (Not gonna bring up anything illegal) Webcomics, flash movies, trailers for any movie you're curious about. And then yeah, even more practical is the research you can do. Homework? No problem. If you're sick, and afraid to go to the doctors, do a search for your symptoms o_o; The possibilities are almost literally endless <3

Rengori
01-24-2006, 04:49 AM
Good.

Dolentrean
01-24-2006, 05:28 AM
Good, I learned alot, taught me to be sociable, and made me better overall

also, a huge amount of our modern economy would not exist without it.

DMKA
01-24-2006, 06:09 AM
Bad.

1. Because it's full of sinful content.
2. Man was fine before it's creation and had sinful temptation not so easily presented.
3. It's a massive haven of free speech. Man's most dangerous weapon is his tongue.

-N-
01-24-2006, 06:11 AM
I'll play devil's advocate for a spell.

Bad.

1. Information is devalued - with free exchange, new ideas are more difficult to patent, their inventors are much less likely to get credit, and stealing information is far easier.

2. Privacy is devalued - the individual's own computer, formerly a private workspace in which the individual can accomplish his or her own tasks, is now invaded by advertising and hacking attempts.

3. Personal interaction is devalued - personal contact diminishes as individuals resort to quicker yet less complete methods of communication. Speed comes at the sacrifice of quality. Nothing replaces face-to-face interaction.

edit: lol john

That was very difficult. I like the Internet. In fact, two of my reasons for supporting the Internet are the exact opposites of the ones listed above - #1 and #3.

escobert
01-24-2006, 06:18 AM
I agree with DMKA. :D

fantasyjunkie
01-24-2006, 07:18 AM
good
1. Lots of imformation for a history buff like me.
2. plenty of forums like this with topics i'm interested in.
3. Email is the greatest, and IM's. I spent many an hour IMing my sister who lives on the other side of the U.S.

Psydekick
01-24-2006, 07:21 AM
Good

1:Eyesonff!:)

Caspian
01-24-2006, 07:29 AM
Good.

It lets me order pizza without picking up a phone.

Yamaneko
01-24-2006, 07:40 AM
You can't say bad or else you'd look like a jerk for coming on an Internet message board complaining about the Internet. But you can't say it's good or else we might start to think you're a loser without a social life with too much time invested in places such as this. Your best bet is to pretend you never saw this thread and go back to stalking people on IRC.

Twisted Tinkerbell
01-24-2006, 09:45 AM
Good, cause I've met some of the coolest people ever on the internet.

Shlup
01-24-2006, 09:52 AM
I second (third?) DMKA.

boris no no
01-24-2006, 10:03 AM
Good

Electronic Journals are love for University students. SO quick and relatively easy to find the journal you need.

As Rubah said, I have actually become far more sociable then before I went online as much. And I'm not scared about talking to people. Its also improved my once awful spelling and grammer into something thats still bad but not cringe worthy

Friendships. I've learnt about what goes on in America and other counties much more then from the news via my online friends. They tell me what they feel and how they think. So rather then me getting a big bias view depending on which party is running my country, I can see what the people actually think

Plus its something to do in my somwhat mundane life :D

oh and :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:
havn't done that in AGES

Rye
01-24-2006, 11:16 AM
I'm better because of it.

Yus. :)

skatehatedestroy
01-24-2006, 11:19 AM
Good - It is incredible useful for research purposes etc, cant be bothered to go on about all the good things about the internet because there are countless reasons why the internet is a good thing!

Bad - With the internet being free from censorship, any speech is allowed, thus meaning racism and prejudice are freely expressed. This is why the internet has bad features.

Shaun
01-24-2006, 11:55 AM
If anyone says it's bad, I have to wonder why they're here

Agreed. Anyone here's going to say it's a good thing. I think it's a good thing. I've acquired plenty of friends and skills from using the Internet. And plenty more too. It's mainly foolish soccer moms who dislike the Internet.

~SapphireStar~
01-24-2006, 11:57 AM
Good:

Research
Games
Forums

Bad:

Nasty sites
Forums
Nasty sites:(

skatehatedestroy
01-24-2006, 11:59 AM
Agreed. Anyone here's going to say it's a good thing. I think it's a good thing. I've acquired plenty of friends and skills from using the Internet. And plenty more too. It's mainly foolish soccer moms who dislike the Internet.

I disagree, yes the good side of the internet is fantastic, but the bad side is just disgusting. Racism and prejudice is expressed freely as their are no restrictions on speech.

Shaun
01-24-2006, 12:04 PM
I disagree, yes the good side of the internet is fantastic, but the bad side is just disgusting. Racism and prejudice is expressed freely as their are no restrictions on speech.

You don't even have to go to the areas where there's racism and prejudice. Just stay on EoFF's forums, don't use an form of chat or messaging (or, if you do, just talk to people you trust) and stay off all IRC channels. Hey, presto.

I hate people who have racist views, etc. At least on the Internet people are being honest about it, because there's no one to get them for saying it. As wrong as that sounds, surely honesty is better than people lying in real-life? Don't flame me for saying that, and don't get the wrong idea, either. It's just that in real-life, lots of people have prejudiced views, and hide them.

Psychotic
01-24-2006, 12:54 PM
Bad:
Psychotic.

Oh, and furries too I guess.

Jejunum Jake
01-24-2006, 01:27 PM
The internet is awful! Makes me want to projectile vomit. Never touch the stuff, myself.

Resha
01-24-2006, 01:41 PM
The Internet is despicable! I love it. :D

YTDN
01-24-2006, 03:41 PM
Good

1. If I did not have the internet, I would have klled myself years ago.
2. I can talk about my geeky obsessions (final fantasy) without being teases to hell.
3. I have lots of friends on the internet.

Jejunum Jake
01-25-2006, 01:18 PM
2. I can talk about my geeky obsessions (final fantasy) without being teases to hell.

That won't stop us from teasing your grammar.

Discord
01-25-2006, 02:18 PM
Purely evil! Too good to and thus a sin. If sins are bad though, but at the same time it's too good to remain non-sinish, this would mean that good = evil. Interesting...

Now try working that out!

YTDN
01-25-2006, 04:16 PM
That won't stop us from teasing your grammar.

I'm used to it.

fire_of_avalon
01-25-2006, 04:28 PM
The internet is good for the following reasons:

1) There are pretty pictures of things on the internet.
2) There are pretty songs on the internet.
3) There are silly games with which to entertain myself on the internet.

a nirvana fan
01-25-2006, 04:37 PM
Internet is very very good.

Reasons
1.It has MSN(and other instant messenging programs)
2.It has forums
3.Shopping Online
4.Ebay
5.Downloads of music, games, images, etc
6.Email System
And loads loads more reasons to name:D

Dreddz
01-25-2006, 04:38 PM
Good
I dont care for child safety.........

Zeldy
01-25-2006, 05:22 PM
I say its good.
I can talk to people all over the world, and my parents pay for it :love:
Plus, my Lauri picture gallery grows ever so much bigger

black orb
01-25-2006, 05:26 PM
>>> Good: Download free stuff..
Bad: Download hazardous viruses..

a tree disguised as a cow
01-25-2006, 05:28 PM
Woo, that is huge!

KentaRawr!
01-26-2006, 05:27 PM
I say good.

1. You can talk with people all over the world, allowing you to share idea's and many different kinds of files.

2. Internet Pages with helpful info. (Wikipedia, Mapquest, etc.)

3. Linus was banned omglolz!

yunafan11
01-26-2006, 05:29 PM
Purely evil! Too good to and thus a sin. If sins are bad though, but at the same time it's too good to remain non-sinish, this would mean that good = evil. Interesting...

Now try working that out!

Uh, no. If it wasn't for internet, were would we get research? I mean, You must be highly religious to say that. What would you rather do? stick your head in a book and look for something, or look on the internet and get the derect answer?

How bout these boards. If it is so evil, why did you post here?

DynasticJam
01-26-2006, 06:27 PM
The internet is good! Well that answers that...