PDA

View Full Version : oline games Expensive??

Omi4000
01-24-2006, 09:08 AM
i bought ffoline right and it turned out that i had to pay alot for every hour i was on right? i thought it was just an online regestration fee but i guess i was wrong (im so clumbsy)

Twisted Tinkerbell
01-24-2006, 09:17 AM
I hate games like that. You've paid for a game, then you have to keep paying to play it. That to me does not quite seem right.

Shlup
01-24-2006, 09:28 AM
Every hour? I'm pretty sure you pay per month, don't you?

I agree with Kitten. All my friends play WoW but I sure as hell ain't gonna pay for it.

Remon
01-24-2006, 09:30 AM
I don't have a computer at home so i don't know

Lionx
01-24-2006, 10:25 AM
Every Hour? Thats a bit much dont you think?

Every month i pay for FFXI, and it is somewhat justified since they keep making new innovating content(ok at least new content if not innovative at times), and keep the servers up, and keep matienence and the electricity to run it along with GM and customer service up along with alot of other things(like bandwidth and server queues...). Most MMOs i feel that are of high calibur, need a subscription fee to keep the quality of it good, once they hit a target mark, the rest is just profit and we have to face it: All companies want money.

Things like Xbox Live however which you can usually play online games for free otherwise on your computer(like Halo...and on Jp PS2 some fighting games..free online), i feel is a rip since all they are doing is just letting you connect...they arent really hosting anything at all...sorta like Starcraft or Warcraft..they dont host it your computer does they just provide a medium that does not need much matienence at all and can survive off box sales.

So no usually i dont think its a rip off as long as its near the $10-ish zone or under, but if you dont like the game then it is a rip off in a sense. Depends on the people, but you arent missing anything that would ruin your life if you dont play, however i really enjoy the story in FFXI.

Markus. D
01-24-2006, 11:35 AM
i bought ffoline right and it turned out that i had to pay alot for every hour i was on right? i thought it was just an online regestration fee but i guess i was wrong (im so clumbsy)

its pay per month.....

GW and Maple Story are better.

~SapphireStar~
01-24-2006, 12:06 PM
We paid monthly, but we stopped playing and moved onto WoW, IMO, is by far more superior and fun. Maybe cheaper also.

Captain Maxx Power
01-24-2006, 12:49 PM
Every hour? I'm pretty sure you pay per month, don't you?

I agree with Kitten. All my friends play WoW but I sure as hell ain't gonna pay for it.

Funny you should mention that. One of my plans is to attempt to convince Blizzard that I should be excempt from all fees due to my contribution to Blizzard's bank so far (the grand total of around sixty quid) and because given the amount of users WoW has and the monthly fee they're making at most .8 billion dollars a year, which is more that the GNP of a lot of developing countries.

Markus. D
01-24-2006, 02:29 PM
they lose quite a bit keeping up maintenance etc...

Zante
01-24-2006, 03:57 PM
Guild wars doesnt have a monthly fee and I think they are doing quite well.

*~Endless Night~*
01-24-2006, 05:35 PM
if you wanna try an online game but dont want the fees, you should check out guild wars its free once youve bought it you dont even need to pay to register. you can get up to 4 different characters, its pretty fun!

~SapphireStar~
01-24-2006, 07:08 PM
I found Guild Wras boring personally. I think it was because I played FFOnline and WoW before hand. WoW will always be number 1 online game for me :D You can create as many characters as you see fit! I have loads and its so much fun to experiment with different classes and jobs.

Lindy
01-24-2006, 07:13 PM
Considering the content provided in online games like World of Warcraft far outstrips any offline game, and is continually added to, I'd say the fees are justified.

Markus. D
01-25-2006, 12:20 AM
I found Guild Wras boring personally. I think it was because I played FFOnline and WoW before hand. WoW will always be number 1 online game for me :D You can create as many characters as you see fit! I have loads and its so much fun to experiment with different classes and jobs.

the limit is 50 with WoW.

I pay for FFXI, WoW and Mapey Story (Cash shop).

.... and its FFXI with more content the WoW.

putting up three of the games together.... it goes, FFXI, GW, then WoW.

GW's Expansion is coming out before WoW's one.

Captain Maxx Power
01-25-2006, 01:15 AM
Considering the content provided in online games like World of Warcraft far outstrips any offline game, and is continually added to, I'd say the fees are justified.

Obviously you didn't notice my figure : .8 Billion a year. That's 800 million dollars. There's no way in creation that the upkeep of servers (however many their might be) and the paying to create new content on a semi-regular basis can amass that much money. Considering the massive explosion that's happened with WoW it absolutely amazes me that Blizzard won't even consider lowering the fee at all. All I can say is that the highe ups must be absolutely rolling in cash, quite literally.

As for me, I'll stick to GW.

Madame Adequate
01-25-2006, 04:16 AM
I hate games like that. You've paid for a game, then you have to keep paying to play it. That to me does not quite seem right.

But you see, it's not the same as a 'normal' game is. You buy that, and aside from possible patches if it's a PC game, or expansions, you're done. But an MMO is a different beast.

First of all, there are server and maintenance costs. Then there are staff costs (GMs for in-game, and CMs for forums.). Also, most MMOs have a system of expanding content with updates and stuff, like WoW does. So they have to pay people to develop and implement that, too.

Obviously you didn't notice my figure : .8 Billion a year. That's 800 million dollars. There's no way in creation that the upkeep of servers (however many their might be) and the paying to create new content on a semi-regular basis can amass that much money. Considering the massive explosion that's happened with WoW it absolutely amazes me that Blizzard won't even consider lowering the fee at all. All I can say is that the highe ups must be absolutely rolling in cash, quite literally.

itsfine, lerneconomics

In seriousness, Blizzard don't get that money. It goes to the Publisher, Vivendi Universal - and if they're feeling generous, and Blizzard makes a good case, then Blizzard gets money back. It's not up to Blizz, basically.

Edit: I don't care how soon GW comes out with an expansion, or how many. GW will still suck.

escobert
01-25-2006, 05:05 AM
Guild wars doesnt have a monthly fee and I think they are doing quite well.

fantasyjunkie
01-25-2006, 06:53 AM
Since I started playing World of Warcraft I havent bought any other games which are $40 to $50 a pop. The $15 I pay per month has saved me a bundle of cash. I played Star Wars Galaxies before that for 18 months and I didnt buy any other games then. I saved a ton of cash by just paying SWG a $15 a month fee. And on top of that I had......FUN!

Lionx
01-25-2006, 08:09 AM
You know i heard of people saying the same thing with various other MMOs..because since it can be the game you play for a long time..you dont pay for as much of other games and only spend the money on the other games that i actually would really care about. So in a way...its not that bad once you find your MMO you like.

Lindy
01-25-2006, 01:18 PM
Edit: I don't care how soon GW comes out with an expansion, or how many. GW will still suck.
Quoted for %^&*ing truth.

As for me, I'll stick to GW.
Congratulations on stating the bloody obvious.

A company spending all it's money on upkeep and content would just shut down and not bother, because they wouldn't be making any PROFIT. Blizzard is not a non-profit charity organisation, they don't do it for kicks.

The point I was trying to make, which you so eloquently missed, is that a person paying £40 for the game, and then £8.99 a month fees, is going to get more from the game over the time they spend on it, than buying a new game at £40 a month, in that the fees are justified.

Perhaps comprehension lessons would be a good use of any monthly fee you would have spent?

xtreme112
01-27-2006, 03:58 AM

Agreed, that's just greedy :P

I've always wanted to play MMOrpg's but the fees have always kept me back, its a combination of I can't be bothered, and I'm skeptical about paying for things over the internet such as webhosting and games. Its a shame because it's kept me from playing ragnarok online, which I have always been DYING to play (i'm sprite crazy @_@)

Rostum
01-27-2006, 06:38 AM
Agreed, that's just greedy :P

Because you know everything about running a successful MMORPG? =P

Miriel
01-27-2006, 08:00 AM
I kinda like that online games require a paid suscription. Because while there are plenty of 13 year olds running around playing the game on their parent's tab, most of the players are 18+ and are paying for the game with their own credit card. It ensures that a great bulk of the players are older and more mature. This is just coming from someone who has only played two online games, FFXI and Ragnarok.

Wait. I played WoW for like 2 weeks, but I don't think that counts.

Nevermore
01-27-2006, 09:22 AM
Christ.

Any damn online game that requires me to pay a buck every time I create a character can kiss my ass.

Miriel
01-27-2006, 09:36 AM
Christ.

It's a dollar. You can find that kind of change in between the cracks of your couch.

Lindy
01-27-2006, 03:41 PM
Its a shame because it's kept me from playing ragnarok online, which I have always been DYING to play (i'm sprite crazy @_@)
If you really knew anything about RO, you'd know that private servers for it are the most prevalent of any online game EVER.

EVER.

And yes, as Miriel said, online fees generally lead to a better community, though I doubt the RO community is really a good example for ANYTHING other than a list of people who have to be lined up and shot, repeatedly.

a nirvana fan
01-27-2006, 04:39 PM
I don't like online game. Period.

Sir_Auron
02-17-2006, 10:16 PM

Man, I Never Knew That About The Online Version, I Know For A Fact Now I Won't Be Buying It. I Was Told Also That It Was A One Off Payment, Or Monthly Payments.

Nevermore
12-03-2006, 09:29 PM
Christ.

It's a dollar. You can find that kind of change in between the cracks of your couch.

I don't have a couch, you bastard.

How old is this fucking thread, anyway?

Roto13
12-04-2006, 12:47 AM
Ten months.

Shoeberto
12-04-2006, 12:51 AM
Well, there you go.