PDA

View Full Version : Fellow rpg gamers I need your expertise

Boxer
01-24-2006, 08:17 PM
I have a couple of questions for all you that may be willing to help. I have played FF 7,8,9,10,10-2 and kingdom hearts. I really liked 7,8,10 and kingdom hearts wasn't bad. There are a couple of games that I have heard are good and would like to get and play but dont want to waste my time and money. I place a very high emphasis on the storyline of a game in determining weather it is good or not. I would like to ask your opinions on these games
Dragon Quest 8
Xenogears
Star ocean
Chrono Cross
Thanks for any help guys and any other suggestions of great rpgs would be much appreciated

Lost Number
01-24-2006, 08:20 PM
Xenogears Star ocean, Crono cross, all good, aint played the other.
Try : Bahamut Lagoon
Crono Trigger

Boxer
01-25-2006, 01:54 AM
I forgot to mention i played chrono trigger great game.

rubah
01-25-2006, 02:06 AM
I'm fairly sure these are [mostly?] SE games:]

Matrinka
01-25-2006, 02:12 AM
You didn't mention it... but... SHADOW HEARTS!

I would buy Covenant NOW - I have a feeling that its going to become a rare game in not too long, which is sad because it is one of the best RPG games (and series) I've ever found.

Vyk
01-25-2006, 02:33 AM
Yeah, those are all Square-Enix games. Though I guess that's why it's in this forum. But I just wanted to point out that Square and Enix are not the only ones who make RPG games :D As for story, deffinitely Xenogears if you can get ahold of it. As for Star Ocean, that series has been around since SNES, if you want to go back that far, the ROM is readily available. If you're like me, however, it's hard to enjoy older games like that because plot and dialogue in RPGs have developed so much over the years it's hard to go back. But there are of course newer ones in the franchise. I'm just surmising 'cause you don't sound like you're interested in old FFs, so I figured I'd point that out.

Jowy
01-25-2006, 04:18 AM
Track down a Valkyrie Profile or a Suikoden II. You won't be disappointed.

black orb
01-25-2006, 04:46 AM
>>> Valkyrie Profile is clearly the best game you can get from Enix but that game very rare so dont get your hopes up that you will get it..
and Suikoden II is problably more rare..

Jowy
01-25-2006, 05:05 AM
I've had good luck with Suikoden II. I've owned two copies of it, and have seen three on completely separate occasions. Valkyrie Profile's a whole other ballgame though.

Azure Chrysanthemum
01-25-2006, 06:02 AM
Xenogears. Buy. Now.

Markus. D
01-26-2006, 02:52 AM
Drakengard if you lurve repetition :)

dragoonknight_kain
01-26-2006, 02:55 AM
I have Suikoden 2. I'd give it to anyone. Actually, I'd pay someone to get it. This game sucks.

Vyk
01-26-2006, 04:34 AM
Really? That probably depends on a lot of variables. But if you're not too lazy to go to the post office, I'd buy it off you :D

Aphelion
01-26-2006, 12:13 PM
As you emphasize the storyline, it depends as to whether you prefer a sci-fi adventure (Star Ocean), or religious and philosophical content (like in Xenogears) or a less serious quest (like in most RPGs). You can't go wrong with any of the games you listed (let me point out that Suikoden III has a very good plot with an original perspective, if you're interested, and Dark Cloud 2 - also known as Dark Chronicle - has many charismatic characters, but none of these games are from Square or Enix).

Neco Arc
01-26-2006, 01:21 PM
seiken densetsu 3... 'nuff said...

Mythra
01-26-2006, 03:04 PM
I recently bought Dragon Quest VIII and was a little dissapointed. Don't get me wrong, I still think its a good game, just not my taste. The pacing of the story and battles were just a little to slow for me when compared to KH and the FF's

dragoonknight_kain
01-27-2006, 03:26 AM
Really? That probably depends on a lot of variables. But if you're not too lazy to go to the post office, I'd buy it off you :D
One problem though. You must be 2 or 3 thousand miles away from me(or more):O_O: .

Vyk
01-27-2006, 04:03 AM
That would be part of the variables. The plan would be to pay the shipping and handling as well.

a nirvana fan
01-27-2006, 08:36 PM
Dragon Quest VIII: From what i've heard this is meant to be a really amazing game, defenitly worth getting and plus it has a FF12 demo!
Xenogears:Never played sorry
Star Ocean:I have this, but no point buying this when you can get Dragon Quest VIII
Chrono Cross:Never played sorry

I defenitly think you should get Dragon Quest VIII, and if you have no other choice, get star ocean.

Dreddz
01-27-2006, 09:51 PM
Do yourself a favour, get Xenogears ;)

Rice Cake
01-27-2006, 11:17 PM
Try Chrono Cross too, it's an awesome game with some of the best music in a RPG.

-N-
01-28-2006, 01:55 AM
Xenogears. Buy. Now.

Markus. D
01-29-2006, 01:27 AM
Shadow Hearts looks promising.

I lurved Drakengard.

but you miss out alot unless you choose normal mode.

feilacan
02-01-2006, 02:58 PM
Xenogears is a great game, so are chrono trigger and chrono cross, Star ocean is really nice, when the FMV sequences are not hogging the game fun. The legend of dragoon is a perfect compliment to xenogears. I heard Dragon Quest 8 was alot of fun, have not had time to play it yet, along with Radiata Stories.

black orb
02-01-2006, 04:15 PM
I have Suikoden 2. I'd give it to anyone. Actually, I'd pay someone to get it. This game sucks.
http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&from=R10&catref=C6&satitle=suikoden+II&sacat=-1%26catref%3DC6&bs=Search&fsop=1%26fsoo%3D1&coaction=compare&copagenum=1&coentrypage=search&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D2&sadis=200&fpos=ZIP%2FPostal&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=

>>> I would think it twice about just giving it away for free..

asukaevaunit02
02-25-2006, 12:02 PM
Secret of Mana, my fave game, just over ff9 and ff8, thought im finding Seiken Densetsu 3 a real let down

Stayin Dizzy
03-01-2006, 05:09 PM
Terrignama,Illusion of Gaia, Star Ocean----all worth checking out for SNES

~SapphireStar~
03-01-2006, 11:53 PM
Suikoden series, Shadow Hearts series (including Koudelka), Grandia series, Broken Sword series, Rhaposdy, Persona series, Valkyrie Profile and out of the ones youve mentioned yourself, get Xenogears, Star ocean, Story 2 and Chrono Cross.

Ashley Schovitz
03-01-2006, 11:58 PM
I liked Threads of Fate that's my sig's theme. Threads of Fate and Super Mario RPG. Sorry I haven't played any of those games that you have mentioned maybe go for Zelda too.

Nick Schovitz
03-02-2006, 12:00 AM
Umm I like Final Fantasy IV, and Arc The Lad Twilight of the Spirits, very enjoyable indeed get that. I haven't tried any of the ones you have mentioned.

Lawr
03-06-2006, 02:36 AM
You haven't played Chrono Cross!!!!1111!1
You haven't played XenoGears!!!!1111!
Burn him at the stake!

But seriously, I can tell you don't lke old school games
so don't get Dragon Warrior Quest.

Dragon Quest
XenoGears
Chrono Cross
Star Ocean

Get XenoGears.Get Chrono Cross.Get Both =].

Morridor
03-07-2006, 08:14 PM
I highly suggest you play the Dragon Quest series. . . ALL OF IT! I'm having a GREAT time with Dragon Quest VIII right now.

Another great game I'm playing is Grandia III. It's really a great game and the battle system is really fun.

If you want something somewhat different, play Tales of Legendia. I've been sucked into that game and I can't stop playing!

Danny

Vivi123
03-25-2006, 12:49 AM
Get Dragon Quest VIII!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DeathKnight
03-25-2006, 12:13 PM
I have a couple of questions for all you that may be willing to help. I have played FF 7,8,9,10,10-2 and kingdom hearts. I really liked 7,8,10 and kingdom hearts wasn't bad. There are a couple of games that I have heard are good and would like to get and play but dont want to waste my time and money. I place a very high emphasis on the storyline of a game in determining weather it is good or not. I would like to ask your opinions on these games
Dragon Quest 8
Xenogears
Star ocean
Chrono Cross
Thanks for any help guys and any other suggestions of great rpgs would be much appreciated

If you don't buy Thousand Arms for the Play Station(1) you're missing what an RPG is all about, this game is AMAZING!:tonberry:

Oh Oh! Don't forget Skies Of Arcadia for the Dreamcast/Gamecube..........OMFG! what a beautiful game....................man oh man!!!!:crying:

Ramza Beoulve
03-25-2006, 05:31 PM
Umm, here is my suggest

Rhapsody (Good Music, if you like a musical adventure, is a must have, also, the puppet system is really cool, is a good plot, you must try it)

Legend of Mana (Maybe not so great like the Seiken Densetsu 3, but is my favorite and you'll find various plots in one, also it has great grand bosses, believe me)

Chrono Cross (Great game, if you don't like a great count of characters, this is not you're game, but it has a great story, and a good plot hole, also, the great battle system gives it the upper hand :D)

Xenosaga (Good story, good battle system, but it is around the half made of FMV, but wow, just buy it)

Xenogears (I haven't play it, but my brother says that it is a great RPG, you could try it)

Beyond the Beyond (Good story, a great plot, and a good battle system)

Mirage
03-26-2006, 03:23 PM
Anything with the Tri-Ace logo on it is good :p. Tri-ace is behind the Star Ocean series and Valkyrie Profile, among others. Tri-Ace games are released through Square-Enix, by the way.
You could also try Tales of Symphonia, if you've got a Gamecube. Don't know if the PS2 version ever got to the US.
Xenogears is good too, and you should definitely play Chrono Trigger.

feioncastor
03-26-2006, 03:26 PM
Here's one:

Final Fantasy VI.

It's often held to be the best entry in the series, and with good reason. The game is freaking incredible and takes enthralling story and addictive gameplay to another level.

I like Final Fantasy Tactics more than 6, but just barely. Seriously, if you haven't played FFT, you freaking need to. I can virtually guarantee that you'll love it.