PDA

View Full Version : FFVIII Windows Interface Project - Progress Thread

Griever Zero
01-24-2006, 10:45 PM
Updates:
4-2-08
Wow guys, so sorry I let this fall behind so bad...it's been a busy year at school but I recently got motivated to make this thing happen. I'm going to be using Yahoo Widgets, since it is free and most people use it already...and it is very easy to create widgets for it. If anyone has issues with using the program let me know...I can always pursue other options. I have all the graphics and sound files (midi, very small file size) and am ready to start putting everything together!

1-27-06
Thank you to Kawaii for changing the thread title for me!
I've found some programs that extract data from the PC versions of FFVII and VIII, which I will start using right away to get the desired sounds from the game. I've also found a rather small image of the Garden logo. If I cannot find a larger image, I will have to recreate the logo myself, which will most likely be difficult.

Project Goal: To simulate a computer terminal from the world of Final Fantasy VIII, drawing inspiration from both the classroom computer that Squall uses and the Galbadia Missile Base computer.

Details: A complete makeover for Windows XP that will make the basic interface look and feel like a computer from FFVIII. To do this, I will be creating an extensive theme that will encompass most elements of the Windows operating system. This includes...

-STARTUP SCREEN to replace the Windows logo screen. The tentative plans are for either the
Final Fantasy VIII logo to be displayed, or the Balamb Garden logo with a little animated progress
bar like the one seen in the Widnows logo startup screen, with something written along the lines of
"Connecting to Garden Network".
-LOGON SCREEN where you enter your password to sign in to Windows XP. Right now the plans are to
design it to match the overall theme, and for it to say something along the lines of "Enter Student ID"
or "Enter SeeD ID".
-DESKTOP/VISUAL STYLE. The heart of the project. When logging into Windows, there will be a
custom background most likely featuring the Garden logo in the center surrounded by various buttons
that will perform various tasks. The buttons will be based on the various signs and things in the game.
The plans are to use a font that resembles the cursive-like lettering seen throughout the game. As
of right now, no such font seems to exist and I may need to create one myself.
-SOUND EFFECTS based on the various beeps and noises from the game. NOT the game music. The
sounds will play upon pushing certain buttons or when certain dialog boxes display. Some sounds in
question are the Balamb/Galbadia computer beeps/sounds and the sound that is played when the intercom
is used in Balamb Garden.
-CURSORS to match the theme. Do NOT expect to see a little gunblade as the cursor, because that
would detract from the project goal, which is to simulate the interface of a Garden computer.

Requirements: Unfortunately, the theme will be fairly difficult to set up in its entirety. For those users who are used to skinning their applications and using visual styles in Windows XP, the process will be slightly easier. You will most likely need administrator access to your Windows system and a basic/intermediate knowledge of how the operating system works (how to set up fonts, cursors, sounds, and common pplication use.

Undoubtedly, any user WILL need a program that will be able to change and set up visual styles and startup/logon screens. In order to pull off the desired effect of actually having buttons on the desktop with rollover effeects and sounds, I need to use a program that allows such things such as Object Desktop or a Windows shell replacement. I am attempting to use Widgets to get the desired effect. Widgets are part of various programs (such as Konfabulator) which perform lots of functions. Mac OS uses Widgets (those clocks and post-it notes and other useful things you see on a Mac desktop is a Widget) and as far as I know, most Widget applications are free and fairly low on system memory.

Support: When the project is in its final stages and ready for release, I will write an extensive step-by-step guide on how to set up the theme in its entirety. So for anyone who is worried about getting the theme all set up, don't worry. I'll be here for help.

*~Angel Wing~*
01-25-2006, 12:54 AM
Wow that sounds AWESOME!!! :grinpink: I would LOVE to help!!! Final Fantasy VIII is my ALL-TIME FAVORITE GAME IN THE WHOLE ENTIRE UNIVERSE!!! :kaolove2: *cough* Um...yeah anyway...An idea going along with the Garden theme...you know those signs saying like "Parking Lot" or "Cafeteria" around Garden? Well you could have the same sort of thing for the Windows Start menu. I'll think of some more stuff. OMG THIS IS SOOO COOL!!! :grinpink:

Griever Zero
01-25-2006, 03:55 PM
Wow that sounds AWESOME!!! :grinpink: I would LOVE to help!!! Final Fantasy VIII is my ALL-TIME FAVORITE GAME IN THE WHOLE ENTIRE UNIVERSE!!! :kaolove2: *cough* Um...yeah anyway...An idea going along with the Garden theme...you know those signs saying like "Parking Lot" or "Cafeteria" around Garden? Well you could have the same sort of thing for the Windows Start menu. I'll think of some more stuff. OMG THIS IS SOOO COOL!!! :grinpink:

Exactly...the signs around Balamb as well as the computer that Squall uses in the classroom will be the basis for the overall design.

I'm thinking about making this theme to have several "levels" or "tiers" to it. One level would be to keep the Windows start menu as Angel Wing has suggested, and skinning it to fit the rest of the theme.

A higher, less user-friendly level won't even have the Windows taskbar or start menu (there would undoubtedly still be access to the Start menu...there just wouldn't be a big "Start" button in the bottom corner). Think back to Squall's terminal in Quistis' classroom...it didn't have a Start menu, now did it? But I think I could work it into the theme without losing the Garden-ness of it. I'm going to post some concept "sketches" pretty soon of what the theme would look like.

Fatal Impurity
01-25-2006, 04:01 PM
this is gonna be soooooooo cool keep me upto date will ya my email is omegaweapon2005@msn.com ill try to help as much as i can!

Griever Zero
01-25-2006, 07:12 PM
Can anyone provide for me a good image of the Garden logo? I found one but it is fairly small...if I have to, I'll try to recreate the logo in Photoshop but I was hoping I could find a nice hi-res image of it if it even exists.

*~Endless Night~*
01-25-2006, 07:58 PM
sorry i couldnt find anything to help you with the garden logo but i would love to see the finished project so be sure to keep us updated! i'll go have another look

Griever Zero
01-25-2006, 08:10 PM
sorry i couldnt find anything to help you with the garden logo but i would love to see the finished project so be sure to keep us updated! i'll go have another look

Thanks Endless Night.

Lucky for me I own the PC version of the game which allows me to extract images and info fairly quickly. I'll try to find some good screen shots from in game and work from those.

If anyone has any save files from the PC version that you think may be of help to the project please let me know...I've done a fresh install of the game and so I don't have any good strategic saves.

I'd like a save from around or before the GALBADIA MISSILE BASE so that I can get a good look at the computer interface the characters use to sabotage the missiles. It would be useful for cursor ideas, general graphics, or sounds.

*~Endless Night~*
01-25-2006, 08:42 PM
i couldnt find the logo but i did find this (http://www.midnite-angel.net/ffdg/ff8/ff8main.html) if its any help lots of pics, music and a section of desktop stuffs. also, im not on my comp at the mo but when i am i also have some avatar size pics if thats any help?

Griever Zero
01-25-2006, 08:51 PM
i couldnt find the logo but i did find this (http://www.midnite-angel.net/ffdg/ff8/ff8main.html) if its any help lots of pics, music and a section of desktop stuffs. also, im not on my comp at the mo but when i am i also have some avatar size pics if thats any help?

Thanks Endless Night. That looks like a great site with lots of stuff that'll sure to be good reference.

If you'd like to contribute any pictures or anything then that would be great. Whether you can upload them somewhere (individually or in a zip) or just want to send them to me, either way it would be greatly appreciated :D

BTW anyone reading this I have requested to either:
1. Have this thread closed so I may open one with an updated title or
2. Have this thread renamed to better fit the project.

So if you suddenly don't find this thread's title, don't panic. I've just requested to have it changed. If I can get it changed then it will be under the title of: FFVIII Windows Interface Project - Progress Thread where I will post updates concerning the project.

*~Angel Wing~*
01-25-2006, 09:47 PM
Another cool thing would be when you turn on your computer, before any of the desktop stuff loads, if you had that FMV right in the begining of the game when Squall is walking with Quistis from the infirmery, and you get the whole view of everyone walking around and stuff, and then there's that close up of Garden...then all of the regular desktop stuff loads. ....awesome...gives me chills...:kaolove2:

Griever Zero
01-26-2006, 07:33 PM
Another cool thing would be when you turn on your computer, before any of the desktop stuff loads, if you had that FMV right in the begining of the game when Squall is walking with Quistis from the infirmery, and you get the whole view of everyone walking around and stuff, and then there's that close up of Garden...then all of the regular desktop stuff loads. ....awesome...gives me chills...:kaolove2:

Hey Angel Wing...

hmmm I'm going to be honest and say that that sounds very difficult to pull off...I don't know of any such program that would allow a video to play automatically before the Windows shell loads...but I'll certainly look into it!

yunafan11
01-26-2006, 07:35 PM
hmmm... I need to find stuff for you then. lol.

*~Angel Wing~*
01-26-2006, 07:43 PM
Hey Angel Wing...

hmmm I'm going to be honest and say that that sounds very difficult to pull off...I don't know of any such program that would allow a video to play automatically before the Windows shell loads...but I'll certainly look into it!
Yeah it probably is difficult...just a thought though!!! :grinpink: If you can't you can do that, you can always incorperate in something else with the desktop...maybe like in a screensaver or something.

yunafan11
01-26-2006, 07:47 PM
Yeah it probably is difficult...just a thought though!!! :grinpink: If you can't you can do that, you can always incorperate in something else with the desktop...maybe like in a screensaver or something.

yeah. do that.

Shiny
01-26-2006, 07:50 PM
Okay everyone,

I've decided to take on a somewhat lengthy project.

I want to create the ultimate desktop FFVIII experience.

To do this, I'd like some contributions...whether they be files or links to sites where I can get some good stuff.

I'm NOT suggesting a little Windows theme file where you get a big picture of Squall for the wallpaper and a Gunblade cursor.

I want to simulate the look and feel of a Balamb Garden terminal complete with rollover graphics and sounds. To do this, I plan to look into Windows explorer alternatives such as Litestep, or less drastic desktop theme programs like DesktopX.

Make the desktop you want to use with assorted pictures by using a program (like DesktopX I suppose) then saved the picture. Right Click the picture and saves a desktop. I don't think you can insert music into a desktop. You can however create movable 3D graphics, although I don't know how to do that, sorry. If you want to use music I suggest saving the music file as a midi. This way it is a small file and requires no lyrics and mimics the actual music beat.

yunafan11
01-26-2006, 07:52 PM
yeah do what was above thats a good idea...

Griever Zero
01-26-2006, 07:54 PM
Here are some basic plans so far (some spoilers, so if you want the theme to remain a complete mystery, I wouldn't read the following.)

A "Startup" screen.
- You know that screen you see when you're starting your computer that has the Windows logo and maybe a little animated bar? There would be a custom screen to replace that, perhaps with the Garden logo and it would say "Connecting to Garden network" or something with a little animated bar.

A Logon screen
- In Windows XP where you usually type in your password for your Windows user name. The screen will be made to fit the overall theme, and would say something along the lines of "Enter Student ID" or "Enter SeeD ID".

NOTE: If you share a computer with your family, you may not be able to install the startup or logon screens because it may be too much of a change for the other people using the computer, so make sure you get their permission first. You should also have administrator privileges and some knowledge of Windows XP.

yunafan11
01-26-2006, 07:56 PM
thats a good idea. I have no clue how to do it though.

Griever Zero
01-26-2006, 07:58 PM
Make the desktop you want to use with assorted pictures by using a program (like DesktopX I suppose) then saved the picture. Right Click the picture and saves a desktop. I don't think you can insert music into a desktop. You can however create movable 3D graphics, although I don't know how to do that, sorry. If you want to use music I suggest saving the music file as a midi. This way it is a small file and requires no lyrics and mimics the actual music beat.

Exactly, Shiny_Griever. The images on the desktop are not actually going to be stagnant, though. There will be buttons on the desktop that you will actually be able to push and they will perform various functions. The desktop will look similar to the computer Squall uses. I don't plan to actually have any music playing in the background, but I do want to use the little beeps and sounds from the game as I said. Unfortunately I'm having trouble getting the sounds (I can't find them anywhere and I'm willing to bet extracting them from the game will be difficult).

Griever Zero
01-26-2006, 08:01 PM
thats a good idea. I have no clue how to do it though.

Hey Yunafan, don't worry. When the theme is released, I am going to do a HUGE how-to guide on how to set up the complete theme, whether you want to change everything (startup screen, log on screen, and desktop images/icons/cursors) or just a few elements here and there. It is safe to say though that this is going to take a lot of work for anyone who uses the theme.

yunafan11
01-26-2006, 08:03 PM
thats a good idea. lol.

*~Endless Night~*
01-26-2006, 08:25 PM
I cant wait to see this it will looks sooo freakin awesome!!! :D
isnt there some sort of program you can use that will set the loading, logons and theme? i think i had a legend of zelda theme like that a while ago....

Griever Zero
01-26-2006, 09:17 PM
I cant wait to see this it will looks sooo freakin awesome!!! :D
isnt there some sort of program you can use that will set the loading, logons and theme? i think i had a legend of zelda theme like that a while ago....

Yeah, Endless Night. There are a few programs that can do that. And a program will be needed in order to fully utilize the theme.

StyleXP, for one, can manage most Windows elements (I forget whether it can change startup and logon screens though)

Tuneup Utilities is a system optimizer (in other words, it cleans your computer of junk files and such) but includes lots of accessories, one of which is called Win Styler which is an awesome little program that can change pretty much EVERY part of the Windows environment, like icons and themes and logons and startups.

I'll probably be using Tuneup Utilities to test and edit most of the theme.

UPDATE: I've found some programs that allow you to extract sounds and movies from the PC versions of FF7 and FF8. When I get home later (I'm at my college right now) I'm going to test these out to see if I can get some of the sound effects from the game.

Griever Zero
02-01-2006, 03:38 PM
The project is coming along nicely. I just wanted to let everyone know that this week has been very slow due to me working and going to school full time, leaving me with very little time to do anything OTHER than homework.

Griever Zero
04-03-2008, 04:53 AM
Hey guys, I know it's been over a year since I said I would do this, but don't worry I just recently decided to pursue it to my fullest ability =)

I decided to use Widgets (like Yahoo widgets), which is free and most people already use it anyway.

I also have all the midi sounds I need, ripped right from the game.

Stay tuned, when the thing is done it should look awesome! =)

Heath
04-08-2008, 11:23 PM
I partly want to say you're slightly mad for attempting it, but I have to admit that it is pretty awesome. Be cool if you managed to properly pull it off and good luck to you.

Jessweeee♪
04-08-2008, 11:56 PM
Wooooooow, this would be cool!!!

I have a feeling Vista won't like it, though :kaocry2: