PDA

View Full Version : Audiophile

herbie08
01-25-2006, 04:43 PM
Who out there loves music? Not just listening to it, but playing it, spending tons of money and time on that perfect sounds system for you home, car, or studio, studies it, all that good stuff. Who out there is a true blue audiophile like myself? And if you are, answer these three question.

What's your favorite music to listen to?
What's your favorite music to play?
What brand of audio system do you prefer?

For me, I'm a drummer, I like to play swing shuffles the most, I like listening to classic and/or epic rock (i.e. Dream Theater, Nightwish, Led Zeppelin, that kinda stuff), and I prefer Klipsch audio for the home, and mostly Audiobahn stuff for my car.

Project G
01-25-2006, 05:09 PM
What's your favorite music to listen to? - Metal
What's your favorite music to play? - Emo
What brand of audio system do you prefer? - none

Epiphany
01-25-2006, 06:19 PM
It was originally in GC but got moved, and I think someone just miss-clicked.

While music is one of the biggest parts of my life I wouldn't spend oodles of money on it because it's really just not needed.

Listen to: Metal & classic rock.
Play: Metal & classic rock.

a nirvana fan
01-25-2006, 06:44 PM
I don't see how this fits into gaming.

It does...the lounge is for music, tv shows, comic books, sports and other media.

Fav music to listen to? - Grunge and Punk
Fav music to play? - Grunge and Punk
Audio System? - Just a basic 2 speakers connected to speaker and play music through iPod.

~SapphireStar~
01-25-2006, 06:46 PM
What's your favorite music to listen to? Wow, mainly ounk or 80s tunes.
What's your favorite music to play? Punk and rock.
What brand of audio system do you prefer? My iPod, i dont have computer speakers, only headphones.

Samuraid
01-25-2006, 06:48 PM
I would definitely consider myself an audiophile.

What's your favorite music to listen to?
I prefer many types of jazz, orchestra, classical (romantic, baroque, classical period), alternative rock, new age, and solo instrument (piano, guitar, etc...)

What's your favorite music to play?
I've played piano for a while now, so I really like piano music. Not just prewritten stuff but also a lot of ear playing and improvisation. I'm slowly teaching myself to play the drums but I'll start formal lessons after getting a university degree.

What brand of audio system do you prefer?
For car CD and headunits, Alpine and Pioneer are the two best brands, period. No questions.
I don't have any external amps or subs in my car so I can't yet comment on those.

For home or studio, there are many good audio brands:

Speakers: B&W, Tannoy, Monitor Audio, Genelec, some Boston Acoustics, Velodyne
Receivers/Amps: Denon, Carver, JBL Pro, QSC, Rotel, Lexicon
(I know there are others, but these are the ones I could think of right off...)

o_O
01-25-2006, 07:36 PM
I'm a terrible audiophile, to the point where most of my music collection is in FLAC format because I can't stand MP3s anymore. :p

Currently, my instrument is drums, and I love to play metal on that. Anything where I can sit there and use both bass drums is a winner. I also like my piano, though I haven't played much since I stopped my tuition, and guitar as well. For piano, I'm trying to learn the third movement of Moonlight Sonata (VERY slowly :p), and on guitar, I'm a fan of fingerpicked stuff, classical and light metal interludy sort of stuff. I really like Opeth's acoustic stuff.

Mirage
01-25-2006, 08:16 PM
I'm a bit of an audiophile. I listen to music a lot, and I think it's more important that the sound isn't distorted, rather than it's loud and with a lot of bass (contrary to my brother, who just turns the bass in his car to the max with his homemade, oversized subwoofer, and doesn't care about the rest.)
I'm not at Face's level, but I do use high bitrates for my digital music. I prefer using 224~320kbps when encoding my mp3. The reason I use mp3 is that I've got a portable mp3 player, if not, I'd use formats that'd allow an even higher bitrate.
I'm not too much into amps and speakers, as I can't afford buying anything high-end yet :(.

Samuraid
01-25-2006, 09:20 PM
I'm a terrible audiophile, to the point where most of my music collection is in FLAC format because I can't stand MP3s anymore. :p
*high five*

Lossless is the way to go. :D

-N-
01-26-2006, 07:23 AM
I jam on the piano a lot, classically trained, working on jazz improv. I like to play popular music. I've gotten into playing all of Keane's album entirely by ear. I'm too cheap to buy sheet music, so that's how I learn most popular music.

I am definitely an audiophile - I'm obsessive about my music collection, and I constantly prune it and select only the best for my ever-limiting hard drive space. I insist on buying original CDs, and I would buy vinyls if I had a record player. I'm more of a music audiophile than an equipment audiophile, though.

My music taste is pretty wide - I go through phases of indulging in different types of music. Epic rock these days is stuff like Explosions in the Sky, 65daysofstatic, and M83 - fusing electronic soundscapes with traditional instrumentation. That's the mode I'm in right now - obsessing over "Run With Flowers" by M83. Before that I was bigger in the beat side of electronic music - RJD2 and the IDM (edIT, Telefon Tel Aviv, new Autechre) and Asian Massive movements (Talvin Singh, Nitin Sawhney, etc.). Before that I was obsessed with underground or not mainstream hiphop (Crown City Rockers, Cage, Styles of Beyond, Atmosphere, MF Doom, etc etc). Still before that I was into Motown (Marvin Gaye, Temptations), then jazz (MMW, Dave Brubeck, Miles Davis, Build an Ark)... yeah, this keeps on going for a while. I'd better stop. *cough*Carl Orff/Mozart/Radiohead/Blackalicious/Daedelus/okay stop*cough*

Audio system brand - haven't heard that question before. I distrust all audio equipment equally, having substantial training in electronics engineering. My JBL 2:1 creatureII speakers work pretty well (especially for the discounted price), but it induces a nasty resonance in wood structures near bass frequencies, which despite my best efforts to damp with a TVA have not worked out. I suppose I'd lean to JBL or Bose - good experiences with them.

If you want to trade any music over AIM feel free to message me.